Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 25th August 2016, 10:34   #16
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Remaining pictures, in no particular order

So many greens in so many hues that one doesn't ever tire of the colour.
Attached Thumbnails
The Gypsy goes back in the rains to Malvan, Konkan-_dsc4297.jpg  

The Gypsy goes back in the rains to Malvan, Konkan-_dsc4305.jpg  

The Gypsy goes back in the rains to Malvan, Konkan-_dsc4375.jpg  

The Gypsy goes back in the rains to Malvan, Konkan-_dsc4450.jpg  

The Gypsy goes back in the rains to Malvan, Konkan-_dsc4454.jpg  

The Gypsy goes back in the rains to Malvan, Konkan-img_0054.jpg  

The Gypsy goes back in the rains to Malvan, Konkan-img_0059.jpg  

The Gypsy goes back in the rains to Malvan, Konkan-img_0063.jpg  

The Gypsy goes back in the rains to Malvan, Konkan-img_0061.jpg  

The Gypsy goes back in the rains to Malvan, Konkan-img_0064.jpg  

Sawyer is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2016, 10:46   #17
BHPian

Default Re: The Gypsy goes back in the rains to Malvan, Konkan

Gypsy + Konkan makes a perfect recipe for those getaways! Great photos make me fall in love with the Konkan again & again! You should probably drive down from Goa to Mangalore sometime to explore the true pristine beauty of this lovely coastline.
Zahoor23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2016, 10:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

That sounds interesting; help me understand though whether it will be very different from the Konkan drives north of Goa?

I do recall a bike ride from Goa to Ankola to see the famous total solar eclipse in February 1980, with pretty good roads even back then; but is all the way to Mangalore worth the extra kilometres?
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2016, 14:16   #19
BHPian

Default Re: Last lap of a very good drive

Excellent post Sawyer! I have done Amboli and Malvan multiple times in the rain and it is simply amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Using an autorickshaw to go to buy the local masalas and the obligatory chappals seemed the sensible thing to do, and it was a pleasant surprise to see the auto guys run by the meter, no questions asked and courteous to boot. The beaten up auto in one case did not seem a bother then.
I had a very amusing experience of a Kolhapur rickshaw walla. We were staying at a hotel near the bus stand and wanted to visit the Mahalakshmi temple. I didn't want to take my car to the crowded temple. The rickshaw wallah quoted Rs.50. I insisted that he should charge by the meter. He said he wont take us by meter as it would be more than what he was quoting. Finally, he agreed to turn on the meter. We reached the temple and the meter showed Rs.60. . The guy had a smile plastered on his face, 'I told you so' written all over his face! The amazing thing was that the guy took just Rs. 50 from me!

Last edited by Ketan T : 5th September 2016 at 14:17. Reason: Updated
Ketan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2016, 16:23   #20
Senior - BHPian

That is surprising but another excellent example of how Kolhapur can teach Pune - arguably the capital of India in the days of the Maratha Empire and the self claimed repository of Marathi culture - many lessons in common courtesy.

I am from Pune, and am ashamed to say that these days. Everyone - Marathi and non Marathi - is ill mannered here these days. As a general rule; I am not saying there aren't exceptions.

Last edited by Sawyer : 5th September 2016 at 16:25.
Old 5th September 2016, 18:17   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

The Gypsy looks very nice indeed.
Wanted to ask, how is the soft top holding up in these rains?
Does it leak?

Mine used to leak like the blazes when I had it. Even the hardtop used to leak!
But as you say, muggy days inside the non ac Gypsy can be a pain.

But roll down the windows and fly about those empty roads and with that nice 16 valve Mpfi King engine, you can't but smile!

I also love the short sharp gear changes in the Gypsy - nicely positioned gear lever makes for a very comfortable, involved, gear shift action...
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2016, 18:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

It doesn't leak at all when the car is standing under even a heavy rain shower. But on the move, wind driven water has a way of finding its way inside, probably because it is impossible to drive it for long with the windows rolled up all the way.

Before shutting down for the day in such cases, it is a good idea to let out the rubber stoppers in the footwell to let accumulated water quickly drain out. And it is one car to wear a rain jacket in while driving if you don't want a soaked right arm/sleeve!
Old 5th September 2016, 18:32   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
It doesn't leak at all when the car is standing under even a heavy rain shower. But on the move, wind driven water has a way of finding its way inside, probably because it is impossible to drive it for long with the windows rolled up all the way.

Before shutting down for the day in such cases, it is a good idea to let out the rubber stoppers in the footwell to let accumulated water quickly drain out. And it is one car to wear a rain jacket in while driving if you don't want a soaked right arm/sleeve!
Yes. I understand. Ive driven the old Gypsy in Ooty and Coorg and Chikmagalur in the rains. It is wicked.
Even the old Non AC MM540 / 550 used to be a pain in the rain, because you needed to keep the windows down for ventilation and that basically meant that you would get soaked to the skin.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote