Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 17th August 2016, 07:07   #1
BHPian

Default Syntheri Rocks: Ravines of an era gone by!

Syntheri Rocks : Ravines of the era gone by!!!

Yet another weekend approaching and I was faced with the dilemma of where to go in a single day yet be back by the night. So back to google maps and just look at the various names that pop up. This is how I stumbled upon yet another gem called Syntheri Rocks. The name sounded so different that I decided to do a bit more research and hence out of this was born my visit to Syntheri Rocks.

2. Syntheri Rock really rocks! encompassing a 300 feet tall monolith granite on the banks of Kaneri river which is a tributary of the Great River Kali. Located around 100 kms deep within the Dandeli Wildlife sanctuary the rocks form an imposing ravine in the Kaneri River. A gushing water fall adds to the charm of the place but the waters are cruel and deep holding many a mystery within. The place is a geologist as well as nature loverís delight.

3. The state highway on which one has move after deviating from NH 17 meanders its way through Anshi National Park and is generally devoid of any traffic and with the forest proclaiming its presence right from the edge of the road, a drive through this region is definitely a unique experience. The turn to the trail that leads to the rocks however is not defined and it was by good luck that I sensed that this turn is the correct one and asked a local person and he confirmed the same. Hence this is the issue other than that there is also no provision of any eatery on the way hence one has to be prepared.

4. The rock is massive to say the least and on top of it there are numerous bee hives and flocks of pigeons who have made the rock their home happily protected from all by the deep river in between. There have been efforts to educate the people who visit this place about the significance of various kinds of rocks by means of placing samples with a small write up but age has taken its toll on them and soon with time nature will reclaim what was once hers.

5 I spend some time out there seeing, feeling and clicking pics prior to departing from the place. The government is trying to develop the place as a tourist center and activities for the same are in progress. It is a definite must visit for those who visit this part of the region and have time and interest in checking out little known areas.

6. Overall worth a visit owing to the uniqueness of the place and the lovely drive.

Syntheri Rocks: Ravines of an era gone by!-santheri-rocks-21.jpg

Syntheri Rocks: Ravines of an era gone by!-santheri-rocks-51.jpg

Syntheri Rocks: Ravines of an era gone by!-santheri-rocks-61.jpg

Syntheri Rocks: Ravines of an era gone by!-santheri-rocks-91.jpg

Syntheri Rocks: Ravines of an era gone by!-santheri-rocks-111.jpg

Syntheri Rocks: Ravines of an era gone by!-santheri-rocks-201.jpg

Syntheri Rocks: Ravines of an era gone by!-santheri-rocks-221.jpg

Syntheri Rocks: Ravines of an era gone by!-santheri-rocks-231.jpg

Syntheri Rocks: Ravines of an era gone by!-santheri-rocks-251.jpg

Syntheri Rocks: Ravines of an era gone by!-santheri-rocks-281.jpg

Syntheri Rocks: Ravines of an era gone by!-santheri-rocks-291.jpg

Syntheri Rocks: Ravines of an era gone by!-santheri-rocks-321.jpg

Syntheri Rocks: Ravines of an era gone by!-santheri-rocks-341.jpg

Syntheri Rocks: Ravines of an era gone by!-santheri-rocks-351.jpg

Syntheri Rocks: Ravines of an era gone by!-santheri-rocks-371.jpg

Syntheri Rocks: Ravines of an era gone by!-santheri-rocks-381.jpg

Syntheri Rocks: Ravines of an era gone by!-santheri-rocks-401.jpg

Syntheri Rocks: Ravines of an era gone by!-santheri-rocks-421.jpg

Syntheri Rocks: Ravines of an era gone by!-santheri-rocks-361.jpg
swsumit is offline   (16) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2016, 12:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Syntheri Rocks: Ravines of an era gone by!

Wow! absolutely mesmerizing beauty in that natural spot. With a camera or a book I could spend hours and hours on end in such a beautiful place. I just hope they preserve it like this and destroy it to create an ugly urban landscape. We need more awareness on preserving such beautiful places in India. There are so many such brilliant places in India itself that you need not go anywhere else for a relaxation trip.

Nice pictures too, for the waterfall did you use an ND filter or was the light due to the forest canopy low enough to allow you to capture the photos as is?
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2016, 10:52   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Wow! absolutely mesmerizing beauty in that natural spot. With a camera or a book I could spend hours and hours on end in such a beautiful place. I just hope they preserve it like this and destroy it to create an ugly urban landscape. We need more awareness on preserving such beautiful places in India. There are so many such brilliant places in India itself that you need not go anywhere else for a relaxation trip.

Nice pictures too, for the waterfall did you use an ND filter or was the light due to the forest canopy low enough to allow you to capture the photos as is?
hiii ,

truly said and i echo your views. I used an ND filter for the waterfall image to achieve longer shutter count.

regards
swsumit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2016, 11:08   #4
BHPian

Good narration and lovely pictures, swsumit. When we were driving down the western ghats national parks, we saw the road sign, but missed going to this place. Seem a nice, peaceful place. Were you all alone here or were there other tourists around?
earthian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2016, 22:18   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
Good narration and lovely pictures, swsumit. When we were driving down the western ghats national parks, we saw the road sign, but missed going to this place. Seem a nice, peaceful place. Were you all alone here or were there other tourists around?
hiii

there were a handful of people , but i felt most were from the nearby surrounding areas.

regards
swsumit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2016, 23:12   #6
BHPian

Wow, thanks for taking us through such a superb place through words and (lovely) pics.

It's always nice to see a JH (Ranchi) reg car on the roads.
Divya Sharan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 23:51   #7
BHPian

Pictures look amazing. Planning to visit this place next week. How far do we need to walk from main road after parking vehicle? Any entry fee for the forest area?
RapidRavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 15:50   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidRavi View Post
Pictures look amazing. Planning to visit this place next week. How far do we need to walk from main road after parking vehicle? Any entry fee for the forest area?
You can take the vehicle very close to the exact spot. All you need to do is to climb down few steps and you can reach the water spot. The view of the rocks from that point is really mesmerizing. If time permits, visit Magod and Sathod falls. Both are comparatively less popular and hence will be scarcely populated. Magod falls is indeed a place to visit and if the water if sufficient enough, you are in for a splendid treat!

And, hope you have Jenu Kallu gudda in your itinerary. Can't miss the Sunset at this spot.

Have fun.

Last edited by autospeaker : 17th January 2017 at 15:53. Reason: Added info on Jenu Kallu gudda
autospeaker is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 11:59   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autospeaker View Post
You can take the vehicle very close to the exact spot. All you need to do is to climb down few steps and you can reach the water spot. The view of the rocks from that point is really mesmerizing. If time permits, visit Magod and Sathod falls. Both are comparatively less popular and hence will be scarcely populated. Magod falls is indeed a place to visit and if the water if sufficient enough, you are in for a splendid treat!

And, hope you have Jenu Kallu gudda in your itinerary. Can't miss the Sunset at this spot.

Have fun.
Thanks!! Covering only Syntheri rocks as part of stay at Kali adventure Camp. Other Falls to be covered on my next trip to Sirsi.
RapidRavi is offline   Reply With Quote