Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2016, 21:35   #16
BHPian
 
anand.shankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 224
Thanked: 250 Times
Default Re: Tranquebar: Danish touch to my East Coast wandering

Awesome triplog, now I know where to head for my winter drive!

The fort seems to be restored recently, looks fresh, wish they had cleand up the front and added some palm trees or something. But pretty well maintained according to Indian standards.

The resort is beautiful and a nice antique touch.
anand.shankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2016, 22:42   #17
BHPian
 
Ketan T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 145
Thanked: 62 Times
Default

Awesome photos and nicely written!
Your travelogue brings back some memories.

I had been to Tranquebar as a volunteer with a NGO after the Tsunami that had devastated the town. I remember seeing this bunglow in ruins at that time. Not just the Bunglow by the Beach, but the whole of Tranquebar was devastated by the Tsunami. It feels good to see the town after all these years. I must plan and visit it again.
Ketan T is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2016, 08:12   #18
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 34
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: Tranquebar: Danish touch to my East Coast wandering

Amazing travelogue and photographs. Wish there were more than five stars to rate this thread !
TOINGPOING is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2016, 09:13   #19
BHPian
 
concorde24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chennai
Posts: 47
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: Tranquebar: Danish touch to my East Coast wandering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Some of my friends from Chennai were not even aware of this place in spite of living all their life a few hours away from this place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Drive View Post
This place is called as Tharangambadi and people won't recognize if addressed as Tranquebar. Tharangambadi is very close to the famous temple town Thirukadaiyur.
Excellent pictures and write up Dr.AD.

I have visited Thirukadaiyur many times and have seen sign boards towards Tharangambadi, but did not have much details on that location. After reading this travelogue, it is definitely in my list along with Gangai konda cholapuram.
concorde24 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2016, 10:16   #20
BHPian
 
Dr.AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore/Pune
Posts: 423
Thanked: 1,005 Times
Default Re: Tranquebar: Danish touch to my East Coast wandering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Drive View Post
Wonderful travelogue and exceptional photos . This place is called as Tharangambadi and people won't recognize if addressed as Tranquebar. Tharangambadi is very close to the famous temple town Thirukadaiyur.
Thank you very much, and thanks for the clarification as well. In general I found that even the name Tharangambadi is not very well known (or at least people don't know there was a Danish colony there). Also, I am sure I was not pronouncing it correctly, so that may also be the reason :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
Awesome triplog, now I know where to head for my winter drive!

The fort seems to be restored recently, looks fresh, wish they had cleand up the front and added some palm trees or something. But pretty well maintained according to Indian standards.

The resort is beautiful and a nice antique touch.
Thank you. On the restoration front, I would have actually preferred it not restored. But I totally agree with you on some clean-up and some beautification on the outside. I personally feel the historic sites are best if they are preserved and maintained in the state they are (without restoration), and just keeping them clean and peaceful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan T View Post
Awesome photos and nicely written!
Your travelogue brings back some memories.

I had been to Tranquebar as a volunteer with a NGO after the Tsunami that had devastated the town. I remember seeing this bunglow in ruins at that time. Not just the Bunglow by the Beach, but the whole of Tranquebar was devastated by the Tsunami. It feels good to see the town after all these years. I must plan and visit it again.
Thank you. And thanks for sharing your memories. I think what you said explains why the whole town had a renewed look, as if everything was rebuilt and repainted recently. Sad to know that it was devastated in the Tsunami. But I must say they have done a fantastic job of restoring everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOINGPOING View Post
Amazing travelogue and photographs. Wish there were more than five stars to rate this thread !
Thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by concorde24 View Post
Excellent pictures and write up Dr.AD.

I have visited Thirukadaiyur many times and have seen sign boards towards Tharangambadi, but did not have much details on that location. After reading this travelogue, it is definitely in my list along with Gangai konda cholapuram.
Thank you. As you said, even if people know the local name Tharangambadi, they don't know much about the Danish fort or the colony there. Somehow I did not see this place mentioned in any of the Tamilnadu tourism promotional material too.
Dr.AD is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2016, 10:25   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 1,158
Thanked: 1,657 Times
Default Re: Tranquebar: Danish touch to my East Coast wandering

Awesome coverage AD. So now we have an official guide and convoy leader defined for upcoming Sept overnighter

Thanks for bringing up this and raising the excitement. I am really looking forward to the upcoming trip with you and TBHP folks!
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2016, 11:05   #22
BHPian
 
Dr.AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore/Pune
Posts: 423
Thanked: 1,005 Times
Default Re: Tranquebar: Danish touch to my East Coast wandering

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Awesome coverage AD. So now we have an official guide and convoy leader defined for upcoming Sept overnighter

Thanks for bringing up this and raising the excitement. I am really looking forward to the upcoming trip with you and TBHP folks!
Thank you very much, Avinash.

I am also looking forward to going there again with you guys. This place will be a lot more fun with the bigger group, especially when we have booked the entire house. There are so many open areas and the veranda spaces, and we can utilize all of those to hang out together, watching the sea and the fort from the comforts of our balcony positions. It will be a lot of fun :-)
Dr.AD is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2016, 15:55   #23
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 38
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Tranquebar: Danish touch to my East Coast wandering

Rated 5 *.

Beautiful snaps.

Tranquebar, Porto Novo, Pondicherry are the earlier European colonies on the coast of TN. While Pondicherry is a tourist destination the other places are relatively lesser known.
speedkrish is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2016, 17:22   #24
BHPian
 
Dr.AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore/Pune
Posts: 423
Thanked: 1,005 Times
Default Re: Tranquebar: Danish touch to my East Coast wandering

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedkrish View Post
Rated 5 *.

Beautiful snaps.
Thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedkrish View Post
Tranquebar, Porto Novo, Pondicherry are the earlier European colonies on the coast of TN. While Pondicherry is a tourist destination the other places are relatively lesser known.
A case in point - I had never heard about Porto Novo in Tamilnadu before I read it here from you. After reading it here, I googled it and got a bit of basic information about it. Thank you for making me aware of this place. However, it does not look like that is a tourist destination at all. Tranquebar, though lesser known, has something to see or do there. Is there something like that in Porto Novo or is it just a regular town now?

Last edited by Dr.AD : 24th August 2016 at 17:25.
Dr.AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 13:04   #25
BHPian
 
vsathyap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 281
Thanked: 651 Times
Default Re: Tranquebar: Danish touch to my East Coast wandering

Your TL now makes me want to visit this place and probably copy your entire schedule - seems perfect for a fun family getaway! Very nice pictures and the details you've given are extremely helpful.

Superb stuff Dr. AD! Rated 5 stars!
vsathyap is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 15:45   #26
BHPian
 
Dieseltuned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bombay
Posts: 356
Thanked: 268 Times
Default Re: Tranquebar: Danish touch to my East Coast wandering

Great travelogue and a nice set of pics. Request to share the following info please ::

1. Best way to reach these places from Bombay.
2. Tariff for these places and how 'family friendly' are these ?

Regards
Dieseltuned
Dieseltuned is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 17:24   #27
h14
BHPian
 
h14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: CBE/BLR
Posts: 799
Thanked: 1,285 Times
Default Re: Tranquebar: Danish touch to my East Coast wandering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Tariff for these places and how 'family friendly' are these ?
You can get your answers here: http://bungalow-on-the-beach.neemranahotels.com/
h14 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 19:24   #28
Distinguished - BHPian
 
laluks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5,734
Thanked: 6,746 Times
Default Re: Tranquebar: Danish touch to my East Coast wandering

Atleast the authorities woke up to paint the danish fort in that color
Was like this in 2010
Name:  0668.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  302.7 KB

Last edited by laluks : 25th August 2016 at 19:28.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 21:40   #29
BHPian
 
Dr.AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore/Pune
Posts: 423
Thanked: 1,005 Times
Default Re: Tranquebar: Danish touch to my East Coast wandering

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
Your TL now makes me want to visit this place and probably copy your entire schedule - seems perfect for a fun family getaway! Very nice pictures and the details you've given are extremely helpful.

Superb stuff Dr. AD! Rated 5 stars!
Thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Great travelogue and a nice set of pics. Request to share the following info please ::

1. Best way to reach these places from Bombay.
2. Tariff for these places and how 'family friendly' are these ?

Regards
Dieseltuned
Thank you. Here is the info you requested:

1. By best way, do you mean driving or flying? If driving, then the best way is via Bangalore. Just drive on NH4 South to Bangalore, and then from Bangalore you can reach this place in another 7 hours of drive. Here is the route map from Mumbai to Tranquebar: https://goo.gl/maps/A64w8JiG8tq

If you mean flying, then you can fly to Chennai. From Chennai, Tranquebar is about 5 hours drive away.

2. The hotel has different tariff for each of the rooms, because each room is different and unique. You can refer to the link h14 gave above for the rates and booking details.

Regarding family friendliness, these places are absolutely family friendly. In fact, Bungalow on the Beach is one very nice place to spend time with family, as we did. Even Radisson Blu Temple Bay Resort at Mahabalipuram is an ideal place for spending time with family. In general, this entire area is 100% family friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Atleast the authorities woke up to paint the danish fort in that color
Was like this in 2010
Attachment 1547173
Thank for posting that picture. Somehow I like your 2010 picture a lot more than any of the current pictures. That is how an old fort should look like. I feel it would have been best if they had somehow maintained that ancient look, instead of repainting it like they did.
Dr.AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2016, 12:24   #30
Newbie
 
fulcrum.xyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Tranquebar: Danish touch to my East Coast wandering

Dr.AD great travelogue, very thorough and with impeccable pictures - loved it !!!
Tranquebar and bungalow on the beach in our next holiday destination
fulcrum.xyz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coffee with Mom: USA West Coast, Midwest & East Coast HarryB Travelogues 26 7th February 2014 11:29
US West Coast-East Coast : 15 days of work & fun !!! mobike008 Travelogues 48 23rd May 2012 14:39
Christmas to New Year - East Coast to West Coast - Circular trip jeevmenon Travelogues 21 22nd August 2010 20:51
East Coast to West Coast (Almost) - Chennai to Mahabaleshwar & back. PICS Added! pypkmsrikanth Travelogues 18 17th October 2008 13:43
Cross Country Trip down the West Coast and Up the East Coast. wanderernomad Route / Travel Queries 32 9th July 2008 18:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks