Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 23rd August 2016, 12:58   #16
Default Re: Weekend drive to Belum Caves, Andhra Pradesh

Nice, crisply written travelogue, with good pictures, to boot. There are so many lovely spots in India to visit. I wish that our state governments spent a bit of time and effort to increase footfalls by improving infrastructure and facilities. Money is being spent anyways. Pun intended.
Thank you for sharing.
earthian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2016, 13:01   #17

Totally sad getting stuck in the Pushkaralu jam. Welcome to the club of people who got stuck there unknowingly :-) We did Kurnool-Hyderabad this Sunday in 6 hours in in the night.
bordeaux is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2016, 13:16   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for sharing your experience Anurag. I think the Krishna Pushkarulu made your trip a not so enjoyable experience.

During the same Indpendence day weekend, a friend's family traveled from Bangalore to Belum Caves, Yaganti (temple), Mahanandi, Ahobilam and then to Gandikotta and they had quite a great experience overall, especially Belum and Gandikota.
They stayed overnight at APTDC Harita, Mahanandi.

So approaching these places from Bangalore probably made a lot of difference as they were not impacted by the Pushkarulu.

The feedback I heard was:
-it was quite hectic since they included too many places
-approach to Ahobilam was poorly maintained so they did not trek up to the temple
-On the return journey to Bangalore they followed google maps navigation which took them through not so good roads (will check on what route they actually took)
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2016, 16:40   #19

Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Any contacts you have so that I can book in advance and avoid any embarrassment!!!
I suggest you try all the options mentioned that the bottom of this link.

WhatsApp: +91 9000282897 to use WhatsApp [ 09.00 AM to 09.00 PM ]

The Whatsapp number worked for me. The person was helpful and fairly quick (1-2 hours) to respond. Great for a govt run establishment .

He booked the room and sent the link to make the payment to my email. I followed the link and made the payment. Within 30 minutes I received the Voucher by email as well as through whatsapp. Took a printout of that and was good to go.

They dont provide any discounts however you can try and Please get the AC room. Its really hot out there. Another thing you should know is that there is nothing in the near vicinity of Gandikota fort. A few small shops run by the villagers but nothing else. You will have to go to the nearby town (10-12 kms) for the most basic amenities. Apart from Gandikota fort and the canyon there is also no other sightseeing options nearby (I may be wrong), so staying at the Haritha resort there doesn't make a lot of sense. I would suggest staying at kurnool and driving to gandikota and then back. The hotels in Kurnool are pretty good and fairly light on the pocket.
mangespat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2016, 21:34   #20

A very nice TL Anurag.

We did the same trip (from Bangalore) 9 years ago and at around the same time. Those kids stopped us at the time too.

My dad's friend (who lives in Anatapur) told us that it was for collecting money for Ganesh Chathurthi. He gave one of them a mouthful and everyone in the region stopped attempting to stop us.
landcruiser123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2016, 02:46   #21

While I did this trip way back in 2012, I stayed at Kurnool and covered Belum caves and Rollapadu WLS. The birds and specially the Great Indian Bustard is the one to watch.

Best visited till early Feb. Beyond that, the rocky areas heat up pretty fast.
gauravdgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2016, 10:27   #22
Default Re: Another weekend drive to visit Belum Caves, AP

Hello. Congratulations for such a nice trip. A write-up filled with beautiful photographs, which captures the mood and essence of the trip. Now me, sitting in Kolkata, and my cousin sitting in hydrabad, who wanted a weekend trip, both have decided to abandon the trip ! We both feel, after going through your travelogue, we need not . most of our weekend trips get cancelled, after reading the travelogues in the forum ! Congratulations and thank you again, for sharing.
Just read the travelogue of Sye Munazzir (Double Bonanza). His one day trip to Belumpur Caves and Gandikota, and your comments too. Sad, you missed the Gandikote, and us too, for that !
dr. sen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote