Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2016, 11:58   #16
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 73
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: Wanderlust Traveler: Jungle lodges @ Kabini and Nagarahole National Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
Suhas,
Can you kindly share the tariff of JLR for this 2 day package?

Regards
andy
http://www.junglelodges.com/kabini-river-lodge-tariff/
ssateesh is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2016, 12:43   #17
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 37
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Wanderlust Traveler: Jungle lodges @ Kabini and Nagarahole National Park

Nice travelogue with beautiful pictures.

I had been there last month and the water level was quite high, river bank was submerged. Surprising it's come down so much in a matter of few days!

As you have noted, JLR should put some efforts on the overall maintenance of the resort/rooms for the price they charge. Its high time JLR looked into this aspect as their profit earnings form Kabini River Lodge for the last year was around 10 crores, highest since they began operations. (http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...ts-kabini.html)

I also observed the forest is high on weed infestation, especially parthenium. Forest department should take necessary steps to eradicate this as soon as possible.
Weathered is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2016, 16:11   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,496
Thanked: 2,695 Times
Default Re: Wanderlust Traveler: Jungle lodges @ Kabini and Nagarahole National Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
The sighting in a jeep safari is much better.
Thanks.
True. Bigcat sighting is the epitome of any safari in India. Unfortunately, apart from many close misses, I am yet to encounter a bigcat in any of the wild life sanctuary.

However, that apart. Everyone is concerned only about tiget sightings that safari drivers are criss crossing across jungle calling up each other on mobiles. This takes way the the fun in enyoing the forest and its sights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
Can you kindly share the tariff of JLR for this 2 day package?
Guess Ssateesh has already shared it.

As I mentioned earlier, tent accomodation is best. Tents also has a seperate roof on top of the cloth. Hence you do not have to worry about rain or sun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weathered View Post
I had been there last month and the water level was quite high, river bank was submerged. Surprising it's come down so much in a matter of few days!
The pics were taken in March second week. Hence low water level. I guess it would be after Jan when water level will start decreasing again.

Quote:
I also observed the forest is high on weed infestation, especially parthenium. Forest department should take necessary steps to eradicate this as soon as possible.
Yes its unfortunate that even with such high revenue generation forest department foot soilders doesn't have much facilities. They are still put up in run down checkposts at forest entry points.

I wasn't aware of Parthenium infestation in these forests. The forests looks much healtheir to Bandipur, BR hills and all thanks to lesser lanterna infestation.
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2016, 16:53   #19
Distinguished - BHPian
 
nkrishnap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,250
Thanked: 3,445 Times
Default Re: Wanderlust Traveler: Jungle lodges @ Kabini and Nagarahole National Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Thanks.
True. Bigcat sighting is the epitome of any safari in India. Unfortunately, apart from many close misses, I am yet to encounter a bigcat in any of the wild life sanctuary.

However, that apart. Everyone is concerned only about tiget sightings that safari drivers are criss crossing across jungle calling up each other on mobiles. This takes way the the fun in enyoing the forest and its sights.
I think you go me wrong there. Sightings mean not just cats, you would have come across many other animals with a Jeep Safari. I for one, do not go for safaris in search of a tiger at all. Firstly its the forests, birds and all other animals included. I prefer to spend time around going slowly understanding the animal behavior. I generally avoid a group who are desperate for a tiger sighting, they will generally spoil the safari experience.

There are people who would want to see a tiger, in spite of having a front row seat to watch the wild dogs hunt.
nkrishnap is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2016, 19:26   #20
BHPian
 
earthian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 249
Thanked: 394 Times
Default Re: Wanderlust Traveler: Jungle lodges @ Kabini and Nagarahole National Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
There are people who would want to see a tiger, in spite of having a front row seat to watch the wild dogs hunt.
Yes, i have come across quite a few of them. I therefore prefer to go by a gypsy and furthermore ensure that it is only for me (and my family) and that there is a knowledgeable guide and driver. However, i find that many drivers and guides nowadays, also carry cameras and they too want sightings of tiger - possibly they are able to sell the photos. You have to impress upon them in no uncertain words that you are here to enjoy the jungle per se and that all sightings are equally welcome.

i find that the guides in the south understand this requirement and deliver. However, my experience in the North ( though i cannot claim to have had much experience) is that they are slightly less professional than their colleagues in South.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas
The forests looks much healtheir to Bandipur, BR hills and all thanks to lesser lanterna infestation.
I disagree with that statement. I find that the infestation of Lantana Camara quite wide spread in Madhumalai, Bandipur and Nagarhole. In fact it is one of the biggest threats to endemic flora. See The Hindu: Lost to Lantana; Conservation India: A losing battle.
The forest department is caught between the devil and the deep blue sea.

Last edited by earthian : 24th August 2016 at 19:27. Reason: house keeping
earthian is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 17:44   #21
BHPian
 
Ddrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chennai
Posts: 247
Thanked: 444 Times
Default Re: Wanderlust Traveler: Jungle lodges @ Kabini and Nagarahole National Park

Precise, Short and Sweet about Kabini.
Stunning pictures. Birds and Crocs are amazing.
You say this was done in may 2016, Will the water level be more in Sept, October ?
Which is the best season for sightings ?
Ddrive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 18:24   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,496
Thanked: 2,695 Times
Default Re: Wanderlust Traveler: Jungle lodges @ Kabini and Nagarahole National Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrive View Post
You say this was done in may 2016, Will the water level be more in Sept, October ?
Which is the best season for sightings ?
Thanks.
Yes, water leavel will be more in Sept since it will be post monsoon. However, water level in dam does not have much impact on the sightings as such. It is just that, water tends to be low in summer when sighting chances are more.

The best season should be summer. However, NOV ~ Jan is also good option since its mating season.
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 10:00   #23
BHPian
 
dpkbehera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Hyderabad, Pune
Posts: 258
Thanked: 170 Times
Default Re: Wanderlust Traveler: Jungle lodges @ Kabini and Nagarahole National Park

I am planning to go to JLR Kabini for a day. For a newbie like me, You travelogue was very informative. As you mentioned, the tent option is quite VFM. Are there any other alternative VFM options which provide safari as well as a decent accommodation.
dpkbehera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 16:19   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,496
Thanked: 2,695 Times
Default Re: Wanderlust Traveler: Jungle lodges @ Kabini and Nagarahole National Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkbehera View Post
I am planning to go to JLR Kabini for a day. For a newbie like me, You travelogue was very informative. As you mentioned, the tent option is quite VFM. Are there any other alternative VFM options which provide safari as well as a decent accommodation.
Not Kabni as such, but you can try Nagarhole national park entry for just the safari. However, you would have to arrange for stay yourself.

I did this safari last weekend and sightings were nothing great. To list out my itenary roughly -
Saturday-
Start from Bangalore early morning
Mysore- Kabni - Kattikulam (KL) - Thirunelli.
Stay at Jungle Retreat
Walk and jeep drive in the night.

Sunday-
Walk around the farm, trying your luck with sightings.
Afternoon checkout
Drive to Kutta - Nagarhole
Jeep Safari by JLR arranged through Jungle Retreat.
Drive back to Bangalore to reach at night.

Will be putting up a travelogue later.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spectacular getaway from Bangalore-Banerghatta National park & Jungle Lodge resorts. shreehari Travelogues 17 7th July 2010 18:46
Best Route from Nanjangud to Kabini-Nagarahole blackstallion76 Route / Travel Queries 5 11th May 2010 15:51
Jungle Lodges, Bandipur - Coonoor ajmat Travelogues 20 1st July 2008 12:33
Weekend Discounted package to KGudi Jungle Lodges available-Anyone interested? Lukeskywalker Route / Travel Queries 0 30th August 2007 22:41


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:18.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks