Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 9th October 2006, 12:02   #1
BHPian

Thumbs up Bangalore - Chennai Road Trip

Details of trip
Car: Maruti Swift Vxi
Passengers; 4 + 1 kid
Boot space: Squeezed in whatever possible
Route: Bangalore (Rajajinagar - Indranagar - via Hosur Road - Krishnagiri - Vellore) to Chennai
Distance: Approx 357 KM
Start Time: 10:45 from Indranagar
Stop: Vellore for Lunch
End Time: 15:45 at Kilpauk, Chennai
Fuel: IOC Premium
Fuel Consumption: 15 kmpl with a/c on all the way
Speeds ranging from: 80 to 140 kmph
Expressway Toll: Rs. (25+25+35+45) 130/- (well worth it)

Summary:
Traffic until I crossed electronic city (EC) was a little bad, managed to cross EC by 11:45 am.
Road from EC onwards was surprisingly good, 4 lanes with median all the way except when we reached some towns enroute.

No traffic problems until we crossed Nokia Factory on the outskirts of Chennai, construction of the NHAI highway was still in progess from there to Poonamalai high road in Chennai. Took around 1 hour to cover the last 30 KM due to single lane pathetic roads and truck traffic. Overall a pleasurable drive.

Return:
Passengers: 3 + 1 kid
Route: Bangalore (Rajajinagar - Indranagar - via Hosur Road - Krishnagiri - Vellore) to Chennai
Start Time: 01:00 pm from Kilpauk, Chennai
Stop: Hosur for Snacks at 16:30. 30 minutes stop
End Time: 17:25 at EC, Bangalore
: 20:15 at Rajajinagar, Bangalore (Distance from EC to Rajajinagar is around 24kms) Time taken close to 3 hours for 24 km's
Fuel: Speed 93
Fuel Consumption: 12 kmpl with a/c on all the way
Speeds ranging from: was able to maintain 120+ most of the way top speed 150 kmph
Expressway Toll: Rs. 130/- (again well worth it)

Summary:
Needed 1 hour to cover the first 30 Km to reach the start of the fully constructed expressway.
From then on it was a blast till I reached EC. from then on it was a drag till I reached home at 8:15 pm
One off incident when a bus changed lanes from the left to the right most lane, was doing 100+ and was honking luckily he heard me honk at the last moment and shifted left else might have been a bad scene. :(
At EC had a bus gimme a touch on the right side just above my wheel arch, nothin serious too tired to argue with the bus driver and the traffic was pathetic even.

Wish all the highways around Bangalore are as good as this one !!!!

No photographs taken

Last edited by Dippy : 25th March 2011 at 10:28. Reason: Only two smilies per post please . Do go through the Rules. Thanks
anarchist is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2006, 12:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchist
Start Time: 01:00 pm from Kilpauk, Chennai
Stop: Hosur for Snacks at 16:30. 30 minutes stop
End Time: 17:25 at EC, Bangalore
:(
357-24 = 333 kms in 4 hrs (excluding the 30 mins break). That's 83.25 km/hr.

Is it to achieve 83.25km/hr, we need to do a constant 120kmph with most of the time topping at 150 kmph?

I have not done any long trips, just wanted to find out what would be the average running time for 300 kms if maintained at the speed at 80 kmph ( dont say 3.75 hrs )
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2006, 12:52   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
357-24 = 333 kms in 4 hrs (excluding the 30 mins break). That's 83.25 km/hr.

Is it to achieve 83.25km/hr, we need to do a constant 120kmph with most of the time topping at 150 kmph?

I have not done any long trips, just wanted to find out what would be the average running time for 300 kms if maintained at the speed at 80 kmph ( dont say 3.75 hrs )
Hahaha, you will not be able to maintain any speeds throughout any journey on Indian roads, I was trying to keep the speedo at 120 most of the time but u need to slow down quite often for traffic or when you reach a town or a village. If you intend to do a 80 kmph top speed and try and maintain it that way you should be able to achieve around 45 to 50 kmph average on Indian highways, hope that helps
anarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2006, 13:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

i have covered chennai-hosur in 3.5 hrs before the four laning & covered it in 3 hrs after the 4 laning. it all depends on the traffic at that point of time. start early, say 6 am and you will reach hosur by 9-9.30 & then you take a breakfast break & get ready for the crawl to bangalore, or you could take a right at attibelle & take a parallel road which leads you to HSR layout. i dont know the names of these roads. i think it is sarjapur road. the road is bad, but at least your car will be moving. cheers
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2006, 14:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

Will not lesser average speed (80 instead of 120) will result in minimal drop in total average speed (120 = 83, 80 = 60 instead of 45 or 60? Forgive me if I had asked anything stupid
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2006, 14:44   #6
BHPian

Probably Surprise I've got no clues on what would be the average distance covered at 80 kmph for I'd never see me doing that a low speed with any intent. Ultimately it all depends on how one is driving and the intent to cover the distance in a certain timeframe. Traffic, condition of the roads etc.
Old 9th October 2006, 15:32   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Surprise! I have done 171kms in 2hr 15min, on an avenger Max speed 120kmph. Wanna calculate?

As esteem_loevr said, road,traffic conditions, time of travel matters a lot.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2006, 06:46   #8
BHPian

I have done Chennai - Krishnagiri in under 3 hours in my SWIFT VXi.

I wonder why there is a fall in FE on your return trip. Any inputs on this pl.
goldsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2006, 10:25   #9
BHPian

I guess I was tryin to push harder on the way back than while I was going to Chennai, that could be one of the reasons and the first gear second gear for three hours on Hosur road might be another reason..... I've got 15" 205 Eagle F1's too
Old 29th October 2008, 13:28   #10

anyone been on the kolar route? is the road better now (all the way)? i understand this route is 30km less than the hosur route. is this true. can i make it chennai in 4hrs doing a 80-100kmph in my wgnR vxi ?? am i asking too many questions???
skidMARKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2008, 14:42   #11
BANNED

skidMARKS, there is no way you can do Bangalore - Chennai via Kolara in 4 hours, whichever car, doing 80-100 kph. My best time in recent months has been 5 hours from Hebbal to Thiruvanmiyur via Kolar, Chittoor. I would anyday prefer NH4 over the GQ route but have started sticking to the GQ these days (see thread / post given below).

Please stick to the Hosur route until one of us posts a "welcome" update on the Kolara route

I haven't done this route in 2 months now but please be advised that 4 laning is going on between Hosakote and Mulbagilu. One has to be prepared to take diversions throughout between these two towns.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...tml#post964289

Plus, the stretch in AP has been the victim of too much digging up in the last few months. Given this is a 2-lane road in AP, you can imagine the chaos and traffic jams.

No, you're not asking too many questions :-)
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2008, 14:44   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidMARKS View Post
anyone been on the kolar route? is the road better now (all the way)? i understand this route is 30km less than the hosur route. is this true. can i make it chennai in 4hrs doing a 80-100kmph in my wgnR vxi ?? am i asking too many questions???
Wow, this waking a 2 year old thread from the dead! :-D

Anyways, about your query on the Kolar route <find my answers in bold> :-

Quote:
anyone been on the kolar route?
Yes, I've taken it few time in past 11 months, last time was around May this year.

is the road better now (all the way)?
Nope, not really. Infact its pretty bad at a few places. Especially after Chittoor. Bad as in the the surface isn't smooth. At times sudden potholes, etc. But I believe this route with be four-laned soon.

i understand this route is 30km less than the hosur route. is this true. can i make it chennai in 4hrs doing a 80-100kmph in my wgnR vxi ??
Yes, its shorter by about 30-40Kms compared to the Krishnagiri route. But you will invariably take longer on this route as its condition is not all that good, and its a single lane highway. 100Kmph might be okay on certain stretches, but it will be difficult to maintain that speed, Unlike on the GQ route.

am i asking too many questions???
No not really!!! :-)

If you want to go to Chennai in the fastest & safest way possible, take the Hosur-Krishnagiri-Vellore route. If you are not bothered about time spent on the route and want to see beautiful scenery, then take the Kolar route.
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2008, 14:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchist View Post
Return:
Passengers: 3 + 1 kid
How can you drive from Chennai starting from Bangalore. I guess, it is a typo, right?
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 14:05   #14
Senior - BHPian

the kolar - palmaneeru- chitoor - walajapet- chennai route is not all that great. I went till palmaneeru in the first week of septembr, and i could not go above 60-70. firstly, the roads are very narrow and a lot of villages come in the way. So the GQ is much faster.
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 08:48   #15
BHPian

Now almost all villages between Chennai - Banglore GQ is sporting 50 Kms/hr speed limit. Did anybody noticed it? If that is true and if it is enforced, the travel time would increase and maintaining an average of 80Kms/hr will become a distant dream!
mail4loys is offline   Reply With Quote