Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 2nd September 2016, 02:52   #1
BHPian

Default Photologue: Scottish Highlands & Isle of Skye

More than a year ago, my boss informed me that my company wants me to move to Glasgow. That's when i knew where will i go for my first Scottish holiday. The Highlands.

So I moved to Glasgow, Scotland in September 2015 and it took me and family a while to get settled and we had to wait for the next summer to see the highlands. So we waited till the summer of 2016. The summer in Scotland means the months of July & August when if you are lucky, there can be some sunny and warm days

On a serious note, the weather in Scotland changes very quickly and it is advisable to carry warm clothing, waterproof jackets, no matter where or what time of the year you are traveling. Some people carry umbrellas and ponchos but since it can get really windy too, good weather proof clothing is the best choice.

Coming back to the holiday, The Jul-Aug period is also the time when the schools are closed and getting a place to stay can be really difficult. So, as rightly suggested by some of my colleagues, i booked the accommodation in early January and found a nice cabin by a river. My plan was to stay somewhere central in Highlands and drive around.

I stayed in a holiday park in a small village called Cannich, about 14 miles south-east of Inverness (also known as the capital of highlands).
Photologue: Scottish Highlands & Isle of Skye-cannich-google-maps_1.jpg

Here is the Itinerary-

30.07.16 Day 1- Glasgow to Cannich (including a visit to Stirling castle), 202 miles
31.07.16 Day 2- Cannich to Glencoe and Steall Fall, 180 miles
01.08.16 Day 3- Loch Ness Cruise, Fort Augustus, 70 miles
02.08.16 Day 4- Aviemore and Urquhart Castle, 130 miles
03.08.16 Day 5- Chanonry Point, 40 miles
04.08.16 Day 6- Isle of Skye, 260 miles
05.08.16 Day 7- Ben Navis Range, Fort William, 120 miles
06.08.16 Day 8- Highland Games in Newtonmore and back to Glasgow, 202 miles

My Car-

BMW F30 318d Sport MT. I know, i know guys, the highland roads and the 3 series are made for each other. All those miles that i have mentioned above were absolute JOY in this car. here is a pic of the beauty ( or beast ???)-
Attached Thumbnails
Photologue: Scottish Highlands & Isle of Skye-fb_img_1464734827503.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 3rd September 2016 at 12:17. Reason: Spacing, thanks for sharing!
kopakabana is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2016, 03:39   #2
BHPian

Default re: Photologue: Scottish Highlands & Isle of Skye

The Photologue-

Note: Although I have an entry level DSLR, I am still a novice at photography.

Day 1 : We started our journey at around 8:30am and the first stop was Stirling Castle, 30 miles approx. The never-ending roadworks slowed us down a little but we managed to get there in less than an hour and finding a parking took 15 minutes more since it was peak season Saturday. One of my friend had suggested that to avoid the long queues at the ticket window inside the main entrance, we should buy our tickets from the Tourist Information Centre, just a couple of minutes walk away. This saved us at least half an hour. We spent slightly more than 2 hours at the castle before moving on to our long journey ahead.

Photologue: Scottish Highlands & Isle of Skye-mote-hill-hamilton-ml3-6ea-glen-affric-holiday-park-cannich-google-maps.jpg

Stirling Castle- the entrance. Busy parking even during the opening hours.

Photologue: Scottish Highlands & Isle of Skye-dsc_0191.jpg

Inside the castle, the building on the right is The Chapel Royal, the venue for the royal christening.

Photologue: Scottish Highlands & Isle of Skye-dsc_0219.jpg

View towards the north-east, notice The National Wallace Monument far away.

Photologue: Scottish Highlands & Isle of Skye-dsc_0237.jpg

At the back of the castle, the north gate. A few picnic benches here, as you can see.

Photologue: Scottish Highlands & Isle of Skye-dsc_0275.jpg

Some view towards south- west, from the castle gardens

Photologue: Scottish Highlands & Isle of Skye-dsc_0241.jpg
Photologue: Scottish Highlands & Isle of Skye-dsc_0199.jpg
Photologue: Scottish Highlands & Isle of Skye-dsc_0201.jpg

The statue of Robert The Bruce, outside the Castle-

Photologue: Scottish Highlands & Isle of Skye-dsc_5902.jpg

The statue from another angle

Photologue: Scottish Highlands & Isle of Skye-dsc_0295.jpg

The National Wallace Monument, the stone tower on top of the little hill in distance, was built to commemorate Sir William Wallace. Remember the movie Braveheart ? Too bad we didn't have enough time that day to visit this place.

Photologue: Scottish Highlands & Isle of Skye-dsc_0218.jpg

At the back of the castle

Photologue: Scottish Highlands & Isle of Skye-dsc_0193.jpg

At around 12:00, we started towards the highlands.

We stopped after driving 45 miles or so, near Perth for lunch and fuel. The A9 from Perth till Inverness (115 miles) does not have many services (fuel stations, toilets, etc.) although there are facilities in the small towns like Newtonmore & Aviemore along the road. But it can slow you down if you go off the A9. The A9 passes through the Cairngorm National Park and is quite scenic.

Sadly, it was raining the whole time we were on the road and hence you will not see lots of pictures of the roads in this photologue. This is one thing that remained constant throughout our trip.

Pit Stop-

Photologue: Scottish Highlands & Isle of Skye-dsc_0120-2.jpg

Finally, we reached the holiday park at around 6pm.

Photologue: Scottish Highlands & Isle of Skye-img20160808wa0014.jpg

Nice and quiet

Photologue: Scottish Highlands & Isle of Skye-dsc_1532.jpg

To be Continued...

Last edited by kopakabana : 2nd September 2016 at 20:42.
kopakabana is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2016, 21:32   #3
BHPian

Default re: Photologue: Scottish Highlands & Isle of Skye

Day 2-

The plan was to drive to Glencoe visitor centre and then Glencoe and also hike to the Steall Fall in Glen Nevis. Checked the weather again in the morning. No sunshine but no heavy showers either.

Glencoe is among the most popular places in Scotland. The road through Glencoe, A82, is said to be one of the most beautiful roads in the whole of UK. It is also very popular among walkers and climbers and has loads of routes with varied difficulty levels.

Photologue: Scottish Highlands & Isle of Skye-untitled.jpg

Somewhere between Fort Augustus and Fort William. This is Loch Lochy. For those who don't know already, a lake is called loch in Scotland.
Photologue: Scottish Highlands & Isle of Skye-dsc_0307.jpg

Photologue: Scottish Highlands & Isle of Skye-dsc_0319.jpg

The view from the Glencoe Visitor Centre
Photologue: Scottish Highlands & Isle of Skye-dsc_0326.jpg

Another one

Photologue: Scottish Highlands & Isle of Skye-dsc_0335.jpg

Glencoe- I will let the pictures speak for themselves.

Photologue: Scottish Highlands & Isle of Skye-dsc_0367.jpg

Photologue: Scottish Highlands & Isle of Skye-dsc_0369.jpg

Photologue: Scottish Highlands & Isle of Skye-dsc_0370.jpg

Photologue: Scottish Highlands & Isle of Skye-dsc_0371.jpg

Photologue: Scottish Highlands & Isle of Skye-dsc_0374.jpg

Photologue: Scottish Highlands & Isle of Skye-dsc_0410.jpg

Photologue: Scottish Highlands & Isle of Skye-dsc_0423.jpg

As somebody rightly said, it is impossible to click a wrong photo here. No matter what the weather is like, the landscape is always dramatic and mesmerizing.

The Meeting of Three Waters Waterfall-

Photologue: Scottish Highlands & Isle of Skye-dsc_1546.jpg

After covering the whole 10 miles of Glencoe, we turned back towards Fort William. Next stop was Steall Falls.

Steall Falls in Glen Nevis is Scotland's second highest waterfall. The Glen Nevis road from Fort William leads to a dead end. There is a car park here at the foothill of Ben Nevis, the highest mountain in the British Isles. From the car park, a path leads towards east of Ben Nevis. It takes about 1.5 hours to walk up to the falls.

There is a Danger of death sign at the start of the path due to some incidents in the past. The path though initially looks easy, gets steep after a few minutes and then becomes rocky. At a couple of points, the path disappears and you have to climb the rocks and walk through small streams. Since we had two kids with us, we had to be very careful. To be honest, it was a bit scary when going up but then we saw a few kids of similar age coming down, we continued.

The best part of this walk/ hike is that you don't know what is in store for you as you go higher through the dark, shaded Nevis Gorge. But after about an hour or so, we reached an open and flat area, surrounded by the mountains from all sides. It just felt heavenly up there.

More about the walk here- http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortw...allfalls.shtml

The Ben Nevis peak behind me, left top corner, engulfed in clouds-

Photologue: Scottish Highlands & Isle of Skye-img20160808wa0009.jpg

On the other side, The Steall Falls. I just sat there and looked around me, totally amazed.

Photologue: Scottish Highlands & Isle of Skye-img20160808wa0005.jpg

It was already around 7pm so we headed back to the car park. 1.5 hours later, we were back to our holiday park.
Next- Nessie, the lake monster.

To be continued...

Last edited by kopakabana : 3rd September 2016 at 01:22.
kopakabana is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2016, 12:31   #4
Team-BHP Support

Moderator note: Travelogue moved here from Assembly line. Thanks for sharing

Last edited by GTO : 5th September 2016 at 12:32. Reason: Bump
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 09:07   #5
BHPian

Default Re: Photologue: Scottish Highlands & Isle of Skye

Great Stuff. Beautiful pictures. Keep them coming
Syed_Munazzir is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2016, 14:30   #6
BHPian

Default Re: Photologue: Scottish Highlands & Isle of Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed_Munazzir View Post
Great Stuff. Beautiful pictures. Keep them coming
Thanks Syed_Munazzir. Sorry for not been able to post anything for a while but will definitely do that in coming weeks.
kopakabana is offline   Reply With Quote