Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 20th January 2017, 11:53   #16
BHPian

Default re: Driving holiday : Bangalore to Ladakh in a Scorpio 4x4

Been a while since I have heard anyone do Hanle - Tso Moriri via Chumur. We did it in 2012 and didn't find a single vehicle till we reached Tso Moriri and got terribly lost too along the way.

The first lake is one of Kyun Tsos. The road seems to have improved a lot from the time we were there.

The dry lakes probably have been dry for hundreds of years. The trans Himalayan deserts get little rain. September probably won't be much different.

Have a clip of that dried lake from our trip:

If you cross at/beyond Chumur, you'll cross the ITBP camp and the river crossing is a wee bit tricky. The upper route is drier and safer.

The shepherds are original inhabitants of these lands. They are getting more rooted and less nomadic, their kind won't last a couple more of generations. In fact, Puga in Chumathang has one of the big boarding schools for the kids of the nomads.

Had fun reading the travelogue. Thanks for sharing it with us :-)
codelust is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2017, 13:30   #17

Absolutely brilliant chronicle of your experiences and journey. The pictures got me drooling and it has been my long time aspiration to do something similar. During the last 2 weeks of December I drove from Bangalore to Delhi and back via Rajasthan. I covered most of the key spots in Rajasthan, Agra, MP and got back via Hyderabad.

Like you I got pulled over by traffic cops only once in the entire journey and that was in Ahmedabad. It was obvious that he was targeting out of state number plates. I was asked to produce my PUC, insurance, license and registration. I duly produced the papers and then went back to his boss who was waiting in a jeep. Since I understand Gujarati very well, I could overhear him asking his boss what to do since all papers are in order. He then asked me to step out of his vehicle to meet his boss. The boss then said to me "Aapke headlight par yellow patti nahi hai (you do not have a yellow sticker/strip on your headlights)".

He further explained to me that it is a supreme court rule that all vehicles have to compulsorily have a yellow strip placed so that it curtails high beam related issues while driving at night. I was surprised to hear this as I have never seen one in Bangalore with a yellow sticker. After some argument, I asked him to fine me with a proper/legal ticket to be provided so that I do not get harassed by other cops along the way in Gujarat. As soon as I said so, he asked me to leave. .

Not sure if you had the impact of demonetization. In Rajasthan, which runs mostly on cash only, almost all small vendors started accepting PayTm or similar forms of payment. I went through tolls cashfree (cards + PayTm). I experienced huge crowds at all popular tourist spots, didn't seem like there were any issues with cash flow or demonetization.

And ofcourse, I experienced the famous thick dense fog from Delhi to Agra. Could not drive above 30 km/hr on Yamuna expressway. All in all, experienced great Indian highways with some bad patches in MP.

Your write up has inspired me to plan something this year
shiva75 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2017, 16:54   #18
BHPian

@gypsyFreak, stunning trip and a superb TL! I'm so glad you did the Hanle Stretch and you covered the other unseen stretches in Ladakh like the Shyok route to Pangong and the Chumur route to Tso Moriri! Kariya was probably your secret weapon to accomplishing this trip successfully... and yeah 15 days? Too less may be next time you plan a longer one and maybe that time, we can travel together as we had initially planned long long ago!
vsathyap is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 20:47   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiva75 View Post
Like you I got pulled over by traffic cops only once in the entire journey and that was in Ahmedabad....

Not sure if you had the impact of demonetization..

And ofcourse, I experienced the famous thick dense fog from Delhi to Agra. Could not drive above 30 km/hr on Yamuna expressway...

Your write up has inspired me to plan something this year
Even i had plan to put the yellow strip on headlight just for Gujarat, but as my route never went through Gujarat, i skipped the yellow strip.

This trip was done in May 2016 ...

On my return, i did not encounter much fog on YEW, i was able to cruise comfortably at 100 kmph

I too got inspired by other travelogues and finally realized my dream, which did raise a lot of eyebrows in the family...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
@gypsyFreak, stunning trip and a superb TL! I'm so glad you did the Hanle Stretch and you covered the other unseen stretches in Ladakh like the Shyok route to Pangong and the Chumur route to Tso Moriri! Kariya was probably your secret weapon to accomplishing this trip successfully... and yeah 15 days? Too less may be next time you plan a longer one and maybe that time, we can travel together as we had initially planned long long ago!
Thanks a lot Vishwas for all your support and inputs for my trip. I would not have planned the unseen stretches. In fact, Nyoma - Hanle - Chumur - Tso Moriri is were we had lots of fun and excitement.

Thanks to to Kariya, i have realized couple of my dreams and there are more to follow.
A salute to Mahindra for providing this affordable 4x4 tourer...!!

Yes, next time it will be for minimum 21 days and definitely we can travel together.
gypsyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 14:16   #20
BHPian

Default Re: Driving holiday : Bangalore to Ladakh in a Scorpio 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
We showed copies of RC, DL, Insurance, and PUC. He then asked for originals. We showed him the originals and we were on our way.
I never have the original RC with me in the car, and wouldn't want to carry it. DL, insurance and PUC as originals are fine with me. Is it a legal requirement to carry the original RC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiva75 View Post
He then asked me to step out of his vehicle to meet his boss. The boss then said to me "Aapke headlight par yellow patti nahi hai (you do not have a yellow sticker/strip on your headlights)".

He further explained to me that it is a supreme court rule that all vehicles have to compulsorily have a yellow strip placed so that it curtails high beam related issues while driving at night. I was surprised to hear this as I have never seen one in Bangalore with a yellow sticker. After some argument, I asked him to fine me with a proper/legal ticket to be provided so that I do not get harassed by other cops along the way in Gujarat. As soon as I said so, he asked me to leave. .

I had no idea about this yellow sticker business. In fact after I read your post, I found there is a giant thread on it (link (The Yellow Sticker Shakedown In Gujarat Update: Rule abolished from March 2, 2015)).

I wish there was a well-collected book of idiotic local traffic laws across India. How is someone traveling across the country supposed to know these (abolished) laws!
Tanmay K is offline   Reply With Quote