Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 5th November 2016, 22:50   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Talking Videos: Driving in Germany & at the Nürburgring (My Green Hell debut)

Hello everyone i was in Germany last month & here's my entire German touring experience in the form this video;

The video consists of going all out on the non restricted patches of the Autobahns;

Videos: Driving in Germany & at the Nürburgring (My Green Hell debut)-screen-shot-20161105-10.18.16-pm.png

I spend some time with the iconic 300SL Gullwing

Videos: Driving in Germany & at the Nürburgring (My Green Hell debut)-screen-shot-20161105-10.13.51-pm.png

& i drive through the medieval old town of Rothenburg;

Videos: Driving in Germany & at the Nürburgring (My Green Hell debut)-screen-shot-20161105-10.17.01-pm.png

All this in the all new Mercedes Benz E-Class (W213);

Videos: Driving in Germany & at the Nürburgring (My Green Hell debut)-screen-shot-20161105-10.35.26-pm.png
karan561 is online now   (20) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2016, 22:53   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Driving at the Nurburgring (My Green Hell Debut)

This is my 1st time driving experience at the Nurburgring;

This video will run you through right from getting the BMW ///M135i (320+ HP, RWD & M/T) in which i do my laps to buying the tickets for the 'Ring

Videos: Driving in Germany & at the Nürburgring (My Green Hell debut)-screen-shot-20161105-10.51.27-pm.png

& lap footage like this;

Videos: Driving in Germany & at the Nürburgring (My Green Hell debut)-screen-shot-20161105-10.43.22-pm.png

Hope you guys have fun, Enjoy !

Last edited by karan561 : 5th November 2016 at 23:12.
karan561 is online now   (21) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2016, 22:59   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Videos: Driving in Germany & at the Nürburgring (My Green Hell debut)

Some Driving Regulations / Tips & facts to keep in mind when driving at the Nurburgring;

- The entire Nurburgring is a no stop zone (including hard shoulders)
- Though the Nurburgring has public access it can be only entered & exited via only the designated points.
- Also it is strictly a one-way (clockwise) road. Turning back or reversing is strictly not permitted.
- Drifting is not permitted.
- Overtaking is only allowed from the left.
- Do constantly watch your mirrors for quick approaching traffic, always use your right-hand turn signal to indicate for people to pass from the left only.
- Any road legal vehicle is allowed to drive on the 'Ring on public open track days.
- Driving a rental (Hertz, Avis etc) car at the 'ring is allowed but may not be advisable as in case of a accident the insurance may/may not cover the cost as it was being driven on the track.
- Hence hiring a proper track rental car is always preffered. Many options available, right from the GT86 to the 911's.
- Some sections of the track surprisingly had speed limits.
- A single lap at the ring costs Euro 29.
​- The Nordschle​ife is 21 km long & is having in total 73 turns ( 33 left, 40 right)
- Its neccessary to stay relaxed, go easy, focus on braking and turning points, and for god's sake don't time your laps or try breaking records if you are 1st time at the ring.
- Racing driving legend Jackie Stewart unintentionally gave the Ring its current name when he called it the “Green Hell”.

"Difficult to drive, easy to die” ...

- Jochen Rindt

Last edited by karan561 : 5th November 2016 at 23:28.
karan561 is online now   (26) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2016, 22:55   #4
BHPian

Default Re: Videos: Driving in Germany & at the Nürburgring (My Green Hell debut)

Woww Karan! I've been offline for the longest of times, though not away from Tbhp. But today I just had to login and post here!. Man you just lived some of my dreams there. Amazing to watch that Nurburgring stint. Extremely well shot and presented. Way to go!
powerband_rider is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2016, 11:21   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Videos: Driving in Germany & at the Nürburgring (My Green Hell debut)

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerband_rider View Post
Woww Karan! I've been offline for the longest of times, though not away from Tbhp. But today I just had to login and post here!.
Hey, Thanks for taking the time to comment powerband

Quote:
Man you just lived some of my dreams there. Amazing to watch that Nurburgring stint.
Every 'true' petrolhead understands the importance of the Nurburgring & im happy to have fulfilled my dream.

Quote:
Extremely well shot and presented. Way to go!
Thanks once again
karan561 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2016, 14:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nice vlog. Liked the presentation and the simple and straightforward approach. Something like an express travelogue. The new W213 has been designed for the Autobahn, with the right amount of everything thrown in. If you had an exhilarating experience with the diesel, the petrol will blow your mind. It is a very appropriate intermediate between the C class and the S class, when I talk about right amount of everything

You should have rented a higher version of the E which comes with a better infotainment and complete Driver assistance package. That would have been an experience in itself letting the car cruise on the Autobahn with both hands and legs off the controls. It further reduces the stress of trying to keep within speed limits, changing lanes carefully and makes driving in such places effortless. Did it come with the 9 speed transmission?

This August, drove in the E400 for almost 900kms a day and did not feel a bit of strain or tiredness. Apart from prompting the steering every minute or so, you dont have to touch a single control throughout on the Autobahn.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2016, 15:04   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Hello everyone i was in Germany last month & here's my entire German touring experience in the form this video;
Brilliant and very well presented. This makes me want to plan my next Holiday in Germany.

Thanks for sharing.

Rating the thread 5 star.

Last edited by tazmaan : 8th November 2016 at 15:05.
tazmaan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2016, 18:41   #8
BHPian

Great review and details Karan! Your passion and excitement is very evident. How I wish I could trade lives with you now

A couple of queries. What made you choose the 135i? Were more powerful cars not available ? Or since this is the first time, you wanted a tame-able chuck-able little car to start with? I thought might go for a Porsche 911 or M3 CSL or something

Last edited by rageshgr : 8th November 2016 at 18:46.
rageshgr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2016, 22:25   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Nice vlog.
Thanks !

Quote:
You should have rented a higher version of the E which comes with a better infotainment and complete Driver assistance package. That would have been an experience in itself letting the car cruise on the Autobahn with both hands and legs off the controls. It further reduces the stress of trying to keep within speed limits, changing lanes carefully and makes driving in such places effortless.
I actually had booked a C Class at Hertz, but they had then new E-Class which was delivered to them 3 weeks back so i opted for that. E 200 was the only option hence picked it.

Quote:
Did it come with the 9 speed transmission?
^ Yes.
Quote:
This August, drove in the E400 for almost 900kms a day and did not feel a bit of strain or tiredness.
^ You got an E400, nice ! From which rental ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
Brilliant and very well presented. This makes me want to plan my next Holiday in Germany.

Thanks for sharing.

Rating the thread 5 star.
Thanks for your appreciation and the 5* rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshgr View Post
Great review and details Karan! Your passion and excitement is very evident. How I wish I could trade lives with you now
Thank You rageshgr

Quote:
A couple of queries. What made you choose the 135i? Were more powerful cars not available ? Or since this is the first time, you wanted a tame-able chuck-able little car to start with? I thought might go for a Porsche 911 or M3 CSL or something
I had actually booked an E46 M3 initially as that was available in M/T, but that car had a race next day so wasnt available as it was prepping at the track. There were other M3 (E92) and M4 also the 911 available but were expensive.

So the available cars were Seat Leon Cupra or VW Sirocco R or the ///M135i.

Out of the above only the ///M was in M/T hence picked that.

Last edited by karan561 : 8th November 2016 at 22:26.
karan561 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2016, 22:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks !

^ You got an E400, nice ! From which rental ?

Not a rental, it was just a pre-production prototype on which we were performing some tests. Free car, free fuel, no limits = Accelerator gunned down
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2016, 12:41   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Awesome video Karan.

Truly living the dream! The museum was totally amazing. The 300 SL stole the show. The 4-speed manual is seriously as mechanical as it gets.

Great review on the W213 and a pretty good travelogue as well.

The Nurburgring video was so cool. Loved the triumphant music at the end, coz I'm sure that must've been running through your head the whole time.

Thanks for sharing the experience as well rather than just a review.

Keep travelling.
Omkar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2016, 19:42   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
Awesome video Karan.

Truly living the dream! The museum was totally amazing. The 300 SL stole the show. The 4-speed manual is seriously as mechanical as it gets.

Great review on the W213 and a pretty good travelogue as well.
Hey Omkar, Thanks for your appreciation

Quote:
The Nurburgring video was so cool. Loved the triumphant music at the end, coz I'm sure that must've been running through your head the whole time.
Im glad you noticed that music, it truly was a victorious moment having done the Nurburgring.

Quote:
Keep travelling.
karan561 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2016, 22:27   #13

Great information there mate. I am heading to Germany this month and and booked A6 Quattro from Europecar. Hope i get the same one. I will update my drive from Munich to Hamburg.
amitahirrao is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2016, 02:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitahirrao View Post
Great information there mate. I am heading to Germany this month and and booked A6 Quattro from Europecar. Hope i get the same one. I will update my drive from Munich to Hamburg.

As pointed out earlier, do check if you are insured if you take it onto the Ring. i would be very surprised if you are.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2016, 12:22   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitahirrao View Post
Thank You, well IMO Europcar & Sixt have the best inventory of cars for Germany. Do let us know how your experience was, Enjoy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
As pointed out earlier, do check if you are insured if you take it onto the Ring. i would be very surprised if you are.
Jeroen
Jeroen,

I dont think amitahirrao meant taking the A6 to the Nurburgring, probably just touring from Munich to Hamburg. But yes as you rightly said the insurance may/may not include you taking the car on racetracks.
karan561 is online now   Reply With Quote