Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 27th November 2016, 19:40   #16
BHPian

Default Re: 12,500 km drive circumambulating India : A road-trip in my WagonR

Congrats.. Circling India is simply a great thing, that too in a WagonR is an achievment.. @harimakesh Sir, I would salute you for the respect you show towards your parents and keeping up the promise you made..

Last edited by ramanan.skr : 27th November 2016 at 19:42.
ramanan.skr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2016, 22:47   #17

Sir, hats off! I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your journey and immense love for your parents and driving! Over 12k, that too WagonR! That's a huge accomplishment.

We too have a 2011 WagonR at home and my dad always says that I should take it out on highway sometimes but I never prefer it over our City and 520d, but after reading this, I'm sure taking it out on a ride soon! Thank you for sharing such a great experience of yours!
Ruchir031 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2016, 23:31   #18
Team-BHP Support

Nice summary of a drive across the country.

More important a question: How did you get a leave for 33 days?

Jokes apart, it quite a recap for me in terms of places. Have been to all of them but of course not in one go!

PS: And of course a special mention about parents who were game to take up such a drive.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 07:50   #19
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent log of your trip, it's like a long story told in short chapters/episodes in each post, thanks for sharing

Hats off to your parents and to you. Respect!

Looking forward to the northern and eastern legs of your journey as well. Glued to this thread.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 07:59   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

One more Travelogue that if not revealed to its completeness will have questions like - Which car?

And if you answered that with the car's name, you will have more questions like-

-- Really? Did you not find it tiring?
-- How was the Handling of this so un-aerodynamic car on Highways?
-- Man, that's a 12 year old car, did you not face any breakdown?

This one has been a fantastic circuit and a mammoth 12500 kms of driving across the entire country covering everything that one may think of planning to drive albeit in bits and pieces

Needless to say, and I see nothing wrong when I mention this as a fellow WagonR owner that it is one of the most comfortable hatch for elders even today that my parents too have never complained despite of runs lasting 1300 kms to 1750 kms in one go! Not to forget the bigger boot compared to its new gen successor.

Congratulations for completing this beautiful trip with your folks and I am sure they must now be content that they got to see all, and that too by road and that too in a single trip .
paragsachania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 10:00   #21
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
like this used WagonR which calmly moves ahead and does what it's supposed to do - cover ground one mile at a time and this time it touched almost 10,000 of those miles without fuss and just like the proverbial story of the tortoise and the hare. Fantastic travelogue.. mainly due to simplicity of it, made my Saturday morning.

and finally got it, the serenity and a sense of being in a good place. I felt that same thing again when reading today

Good one.
Hi dark.knight,

Nice to know you liked it. Thanks.

Simplicity is highest sophistication.

Being an engineer I understand the importance of Frequency, bandwidth & communication.

Purification of mind = Decluttering the mind frequency. Divinity is one bandwidth that encompass all usable frequencies.

Positivity is a state of tuning of mind in a specific frequency.

Hence temples and places of worship brings human mind relatively calm & quite as Pyramid shaped towers can hold positive energy keep an individual mind fresh.

We enjoyed the positivity at most places that kept replenishing our energy levels.

Wagon R for three of us offered reasonable luxury as front & rear seats are reclinable, with 100℅ ac on travel was comfortable..

Last edited by harimakesh : 28th November 2016 at 10:02.
harimakesh is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 11:03   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanan.skr View Post
Congrats.. Circling India is simply a great thing, that too in a WagonR is an achievment.. @harimakesh Sir, I would salute you for the respect you show towards your parents and keeping up the promise you made..
Important part of our Indian heritage is Son taking patents on pilgrimage,/tirth Yatra. I just availed my opportunity to fulfil it.

Wagon R did live upto our requirements without flaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruchir031 View Post
Sir, hats off! I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your journey and immense love for your parents and driving! Over 12k, that too WagonR! That's a huge accomplishment.

We too have a 2011 WagonR at home and my dad always says that I should take it out on highway sometimes but I never prefer it over our City and 520d, but after reading this, I'm sure taking it out on a ride soon! Thank you for sharing such a great experience of yours!
Our 12+ years Wagon R is willing to serve any time. 2016 Shivrathri we took it again to Kumbha-konam and the drive was refreshing.

Even today each time we recollect this trip, My mother will give me hug and will praise our WagonR without fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Nice summary of a drive across the country.

More important a question: How did you get a leave for 33 days?

Jokes apart, it quite a recap for me in terms of places. Have been to all of them but of course not in one go!

PS: And of course a special mention about parents who were game to take up such a drive.
Well I went to study my degree from hostel & moved out of country on work. For nearly 25+ years I was living away from my parents meeting them like a prisoner on parole for couple of weeks.

I made up my mind to live my life, taking a pause from routine chasing behind money, I took a break. Got all my time for myself to live my life.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 28th November 2016 at 11:55. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts. Please use the Multi-Quote button to reply to more than one post at a time. Thanks.
harimakesh is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 12:28   #23
BHPian

Day 19 : March 13& 14th, 2014
Route : Murudeshwar to Goa 225 Kms, Vasco to Mumbai-Powai 610 km

The travel from Karwar to Goa was slow due to single road.

We crossed state Goa border, we were asked to pay ₹250/- as entry tax which gave an un-welcoming feel, We took a left turn from NH 17/66 and reached Goa Vasco.

Morning we had darshan @ Vasco's Sri Damodar temple on Svatantra Road.
Name:  damodartemplevasco.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  47.9 KB

Name:  lorddamodarvasco.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  26.5 KB

Vasco's Damodar temple looked bland plain building, was not having any signature hall marks of a Hindu/Siva temple.

Name:  damodartrmple.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  29.1 KB

Inside temple Sanctum has influence of Portugese Church resemblance

12,500 km drive circumambulating India : A road-trip in my WagonR-photo.jpg

We had breakfast in Vasco's Udupi Veg restaurant, by 9am we decided drive 625 kmsnon-stop reach Powai, Mumbai, to visit Chinmayamission's Lord Jagadheeswara temple.

Goa to Mumbai on old NH 17/66 has been driver's delight with winding Ghat roads. I enjoyed the drive very much.

Panvel to Powai drive was hair raising it took over 4 hours from Panvel to reach Powai as we arrived into Panvel by 6pm. Auto drivers were helpful to reach Powai by 11:30pm

Reached Powai by midnight to stay with my cousin.
Early morning.

Took necessary rest & relaxed for the day. On 14th March 2014, we visited and had darshan of Lord Jagadheeswara at Chinmayamission's Powai Sanntheepany ashram.

Name:  CMTemplesBannerImage.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  30.4 KB

12,500 km drive circumambulating India : A road-trip in my WagonR-jagadeeshwaratemplemumbai.png

Powai Chinmaya asram is a vast green, serene place in a grinding, heavy populated space scare Mumbai. Had a glimpse of Mumbaikars life by visiting Hiranandani gardens in Powai.

Next day 15th March 2014 early morning we moved towards driving to reach Ahmedabad-Ambaji in Gujarat.

Last edited by harimakesh : 28th November 2016 at 12:50.
harimakesh is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 15:50   #24
BHPian

Does the heart good to see that there are people who abide by what they have promised. Who have the tenacity and determination to complete what they started. Who have the faith to do the best they can and beyond that leave it to God. Who still nurture and cherish the old values for which our culture was known.
earthian is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 17:06   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hat's off to your folks for completing such a long road-trip, man . And of course, to you for fulfilling your promise .
Thanks GTO. This trip is our longest travel trip, after this trip I experienced a very fulfilled unique emotions that I lived upto my word as a person, carried out my traditional duty as a son.

This is my first travelogue in team-bhp. Factually I got smitten by my travel bug after I read a lot in team-bhp travelogue forum since I became a bhpian in 2007/08.

Last edited by harimakesh : 28th November 2016 at 17:10.
harimakesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 18:43   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
This is my first travelogue in team-bhp.
What a way to get started!!

Amazing to read this travelogue spanning going across the length and width of the country in a so called "common" car (As compared with a UV/SUV,etc) and that too with aged parents! Hats off to you and your parents!
haria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 19:14   #27
BHPian

Day 21 : March 15 & 16, 2014
Route : Powai - Mani Nagar-Ambaji-Ranakpur-Udaipur

Distance travelled : 1100kms

On 15th Match 2014, after a hearty breakfast we Started from Mumbai towards Ambaji in Gujarat. The highways are good.

At Bharuch we were crossing Narmada river. Pulled the vehicle to the river banks and had a refreshing bath in Narmada. Here in Baruch The river Narmada is wider than it is in Omkareshwar.

River Narmada at Baruch. Had a hearty bathing in Narmada river

12,500 km drive circumambulating India : A road-trip in my WagonR-20140315-17.15.07.jpg

12,500 km drive circumambulating India : A road-trip in my WagonR-20140315-17.33.07.jpg

Then we kept on driving. Wanted to try Amul in Anand but missed it as we took the express highway NE1.

The driver on the non stop 110kms long Vadodara-Ahmedabad expressway NE1 has been great. This road has exits at Anand & Nadiad.

Reached Mani Nagar by evening 8pm. Had dinner Took some rest and moved on to reach Ambaji in the morning by 9am.

Collage of our travel in Gujarat

12,500 km drive circumambulating India : A road-trip in my WagonR-20161124_192842collage.jpg

Just Arriving into Ambaji after driving 700kms

12,500 km drive circumambulating India : A road-trip in my WagonR-20140316-08.52.09.jpg

Ambaji temple: So thickly crowded we felt we were ground to become ketchup

12,500 km drive circumambulating India : A road-trip in my WagonR-20140316-10.58.04.jpg

12,500 km drive circumambulating India : A road-trip in my WagonR-20140316-18.34.19.jpg

NH 27 from Mount Abu to Udaipur was a breeze

Took a detour to reach Ranakpur before Uadipur and the winding hill road was so enjoyable. On return the moon rise was a great sight.

12,500 km drive circumambulating India : A road-trip in my WagonR-20161124_192546collage.jpg

12,500 km drive circumambulating India : A road-trip in my WagonR-20140316-15.08.30.jpg

12,500 km drive circumambulating India : A road-trip in my WagonR-20140316-14.19.49.jpg

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140316 14.19.49.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	556.9 KB
ID:	1579905
Attached Thumbnails
12,500 km drive circumambulating India : A road-trip in my WagonR-20140316-13.38.14.jpg  

Last edited by harimakesh : 28th November 2016 at 19:40.
harimakesh is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 18:35   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
What a way to get started!!

Amazing to read this travelogue spanning going across the length and width of the country in a so called "common" car (As compared with a UV/SUV,etc) and that too with aged parents! Hats off to you and your parents!
Thanks for your kind words Haria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Excellent log of your trip, it's like a long story told in short chapters/episodes in each post, thanks for sharing

Hats off to your parents and to you. Respect!

Looking forward to the northern and eastern legs of your journey as well. Glued to this thread.
Thanks a lot NPV. Keep watching this space. I will keep adding new posts covering ing them soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
Thanks for your kind words Haria.

Thanks a lot NPV. Keep watching this space. I will keep adding new posts covering ing them soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
One more Travelogue that if not revealed to its completeness will have questions like - Which car?

And if you answered that with the car's name, you will have more questions like-

Really? Did you not find it tiring?

This one has been a fantastic circuit and a mammoth 12500 kms of driving across the entire country covering everything that one may think of planning to drive albeit in bits and pieces

Congratulations for completing this beautiful trip with your folks and I am sure they must now be content that they got to see all, and that too by road and that too in a single trip .
Thanks Paragsachania for your kind words.

Yes my parents are reasonably satisfied & genuinely happy too.

Yes Wagon R happened to become a nice choice as it served our travel purpose without any fuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
Does the heart good to see that there are people who abide by what they have promised. Who have the tenacity and determination to complete what they started. Who have the faith to do the best they can and beyond that leave it to God. Who still nurture and cherish the old values for which our culture was known.
Thanks earthian for your nice words.

Request to Mods: I tried multiple quotes in one post. Something makes it spill over. Kindly merge them.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th November 2016 at 19:29. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts together. Thanks!
harimakesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 19:21   #29
BHPian

Harimakesh,

Hats off to your grit and determination to fulfil your parents wishes. Having darshan at various temples not withstanding, the ever changing landscape, the sight of hills, broad rivers and vast fields throughout our vast country must have been a feast for their eyes.

No matter how fortunate you are to be able to take them on such a drive, I am sure they are extremely fortunate to have a son like you !
roamingrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 19:29   #30
BHPian

Beautifully and sincerely written!

The humble but legendary Wagon-R is known for its bullet proof reliability that very few can match. I too owned one for 3 years and it was fuss free. The older 1.1 litre 4-cylinder engine was a gem in terms of refinement and drivability, but sadly, the newer 1.0 litre 3-cylinder is no match.
PearlJam is offline   Reply With Quote