Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2014, 21:48   #166
rkg
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,041
Thanked: 543 Times
Default Re: Travelogue: Bangalore to Kolkata

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatmakar View Post
Thanks. I will be driving with my family. I am the sole driver.

In Tirupati, Hotel Bliss is the standard place we stay. This time, our stay will be for 5-6 hours only incase we halt at Tirupati on Day-1. The lowest category room in Hotel Bliss will work out ~ RS 2500/- .
I am looking at cheaper alternatives with clean room/toilet and secure parking. Any ideas?

Also in Bhubaneswar, I plan to stay ina hotel on NH-5. from google, I found some options like Hotel Bari International & Saraswat Retreat. Any idea or feedback about these hotels?

regards,
Rajat
Better would be Kolar-palamaner route.
To take chinatamani route you have to go up to Hoskote( assuming you are going through KR Puram)
Once you leave KRPuram it is 4 lane till Mulbagal- short stretch of 20 KM till AP border is being 4 laned. Afterwards it is very good road till Naidupet & NH 5. From then onwards is 4 laned almost all the way to Howrah, except 100 Km stretch between Balasore-Kahragpur. Where only one lane is functiona but you pay for 4 lane roads. You have to zig zag between the lanes in this stretch( this was the condition as on April 2014)

Tirupati has lot of hotels. If you are leaving by 5 PM, one can easily reach tirupati by 9-10PM. You can check some around bus stand. You can even check Srivari sanndhi on kapila theertham road. It is maintained by Arya Vaisya sangham. If rooms are there they do give to others also. You can get an AC room with clean toilets at much cheaper rate. For one night stay that is more than enough
rkg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2014, 23:24   #167
BHPian
 
rahul4640's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 462
Thanked: 291 Times
Default Re: Travelogue: Bangalore to Kolkata

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatmakar View Post
I will be travelling from Bangalore to Kolkata during Christmas time. The tentative plan is as follows :-
Day-1 1700 hrs start : Bangalore to Tirupati, Stay at Hotel Bliss, will pre-book
Day-2 0500 hrs start : Tirupati to Bhubaneswar, Hotel yet to finalise
Day-3 0600 hrs start : Bhubaneswar to Kolkata
Though I have never made a B'lore to Calcutta drive myself, my apologies to say that IMHO the 2nd day drive from Tirupati to Bhubaneswar is worth at least a good twenty hours journey. Much tiresome for a solo driver. Please plan accordingly to continue with your trip timings for the rest of your trip on the third day. Bhubaneswar to Calcutta may be covered in eight to nine hours.

Difference of opinion is solicited.
rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2014, 09:06   #168
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 111
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Travelogue: Bangalore to Kolkata

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
I would recommend you to check other TLs. I think this plan maybe tight. Consider driving it in 4 days.
....
3 days should be ok in my opinion. On Day-2, I am planning to keep the destination flexible. A fixed target will not allow us to enjoy the road trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
Better would be Kolar-palamaner route.
....

Tirupati has lot of hotels. ....
Thanks. I will consider both your suggestions. I was just wary of the volvo traffic in the 2 laned section. But I feel if I reach Tirupati by 9, I may be able to avoid it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
...my apologies to say that IMHO the 2nd day drive from Tirupati to Bhubaneswar is worth at least a good twenty hours journey. Much tiresome for a solo driver. ...
Agree Sir. I will keep it flexible. There is an itch to reach Puri on Day-2 as then I will be able to catch up with some of my folks there.

I am now thinking of following option too :-
Day-1 1700 hrs start : Bangalore to Nellore, 7 hours drive
Day-2 0500 hrs start : Nellore to Puri, 15 hours drive, catch up with folks
Day-3 1100 hrs start : Bhubaneswar to Kolkata

Last edited by rajatmakar : 10th November 2014 at 09:24. Reason: Additional info added
rajatmakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2014, 09:46   #169
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 111
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Travelogue: Bangalore to Kolkata

Sorry for the back to back post but the 30 minute window passed.

To reach Puri, I am planning to take the New Jagannath Sadak which connects NH5 to NH203.

Any idea about the current conditions of this road?

TIA,
Rajat
rajatmakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2014, 17:19   #170
BHPian
 
himadrimondal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 418
Thanked: 859 Times
Default Re: Travelogue: Bangalore to Kolkata

Great narration, extremely detailed point to point description of the places one has to touch on this trip. Loved the way you mentioned restaurants, one of the most important aspects for family travel.

Last edited by himadrimondal : 13th November 2014 at 17:22.
himadrimondal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2014, 21:29   #171
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 959
Thanked: 432 Times
Default Re: Travelogue: Bangalore to Kolkata

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Since you have the option to drive overnight on Day 1, I would suggest you to push upto Nellore. It is just 2 to 3 hours from Tirupathi. From Nellore you can take the GQ without any fuss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatmakar View Post

Day-1 1700 hrs start : Bangalore to Nellore, 7 hours drive
Day-2 0500 hrs start : Nellore to Puri, 15 hours drive, catch up with folks
Day-3 1100 hrs start : Bhubaneswar to Kolkata
This looks perfect. But Nellore to Puri on day 2 will be more than a 15 hour drive, I bet. Budget at least 17 to 18 hours as you have your family travelling with you.
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2014, 21:34   #172
BHPian
 
rahul4640's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 462
Thanked: 291 Times
Default Re: Travelogue: Bangalore to Kolkata

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatmakar View Post
To reach Puri, I am planning to take the New Jagannath Sadak which connects NH5 to NH203. Any idea about the current conditions of this road?
I am not sure which road are you talking about. But if you are talking about the new road which helps us drive to Puri from Calcutta, it originates east of Rasulgarh Chowk. If you are coming from Vizag side, it may cause you to drive little extra, though the road is in nice shape. You may consider taking Khurda-Pipli road, if you are coming from Andhra Pradesh side. Few years ago this route was not in very good shape but should possibly be OK now.
rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2014, 07:53   #173
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: CCU & Kitchener
Posts: 593
Thanked: 96 Times
Default Re: Travelogue: Bangalore to Kolkata

My 2 cents here.

Bangalore to Kolkata is doable in 2 days, without much stress. I did it in Aug 2013.

Day 1 : Left Bangalore at 4am, reached Vizag at 9:30pm. Was caught up in highway blockades for 2 hrs due to the Telengana agitation
Day 2 : Left Vizag at 6:30am, reached Kolkata at 8:30pm.

Was fortunate at Icchapuram with no traffic jams. WB-OR border was the usual story.

I was driving solo (well almost). Had my 7yr old daughter with me only (she is my perfect travel companion). I was driving a Figo diesel and never crossed 120kph. If you do not have the constraint of leaving in the evening from Bangalore, this is perfectly doable in 2 days.
Saurabh M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2014, 12:23   #174
BHPian
 
ssjr0498's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Blr-Ccu
Posts: 641
Thanked: 118 Times
Default Re: Travelogue: Bangalore to Kolkata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurabh M View Post
My 2 cents here.

Bangalore to Kolkata is doable in 2 days, without much stress. I did it in Aug 2013.

Day 1 : Left Bangalore at 4am, reached Vizag at 9:30pm. Was caught up in highway blockades for 2 hrs due to the Telengana agitation
Day 2 : Left Vizag at 6:30am, reached Kolkata at 8:30pm.

Was fortunate at Icchapuram with no traffic jams. WB-OR border was the usual story.

I was driving solo (well almost). Had my 7yr old daughter with me only (she is my perfect travel companion). I was driving a Figo diesel and never crossed 120kph. If you do not have the constraint of leaving in the evening from Bangalore, this is perfectly doable in 2 days.
I would agree with Saurabh 100%. I have done Bangalore to Kolkata a minimum of 10 times all of them in 2 days! The last trip was made last month itself!

Like Saurabh pointed out here..

Day 1- Leave Bangalore at 5am- Reach Vizag at about 6:30-7pm. I generally stay at the APTDC resort on Rushikonda beach. Its really nice as it is just off the highway, so you can make a quick entry and getaway!

Day 2- Leave Vizag at 5:30-6am - reach Kolkata by 7:30-8pm

At no point have I ever felt the need to push the car beyond the 100-120kph mark. Roads are brilliant barring the Mulbagal bypass and some small patches in Orissa!

Perfectly doable in 2 days with your family!
ssjr0498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2014, 13:57   #175
BHPian
 
maheshramaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bangalore or Bengaluru!!
Posts: 277
Thanked: 151 Times
Default Re: Travelogue: Bangalore to Kolkata

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatmakar View Post
3 days should be ok in my opinion.

I am now thinking of following option too :-
Day-1 1700 hrs start : Bangalore to Nellore, 7 hours drive
Day-2 0500 hrs start : Nellore to Puri, 15 hours drive, catch up with folks
Day-3 1100 hrs start : Bhubaneswar to Kolkata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurabh M View Post
Bangalore to Kolkata is doable in 2 days, without much stress. I did it in Aug 2013.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
I would agree with Saurabh 100%. I have done Bangalore to Kolkata a minimum of 10 times all of them in 2 days! The last trip was made last month itself!
Yes - it's perfectly doable in two days and I have done in this Feb.

Day 1: Bangalore to Vizag: Left 4:30 am and reached Vizag at 6:30 pm. Despite road block before Tirupathi because of Telangana issue.
Day 2: Vizag to Kolkata: Left 7 am and reached Kolkata at 9pm.

But - if you think, you want to do it in three days and not drive 14 or 15 hours each day - my suggestion would be;

Day 1: Bangalore to Vijayawada
Day 2: Vijayawada to Bhubaneswar or Puri (if you want to meet someone as mentioned)
Day 3: Puri or Bhubaneswar to Kolkata
maheshramaling is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2014, 21:14   #176
BHPian
 
samish_g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 207
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: Travelogue: Bangalore to Kolkata

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
Day 1- Leave Bangalore at 5am- Reach Vizag at about 6:30-7pm. I generally stay at the APTDC resort on Rushikonda beach. Its really nice as it is just off the highway, so you can make a quick entry and getaway!
Thanks @ssjr0498. I too am planning to a Bangalore-Kolkata next year. I was planning to halt at the Ramakrishna Beach. Have you stayed in the Ramakrishna Beach during your trips? Any preferred hotels in this area?
Also wanted some information about the evening traffic in Vizag.

Regards,

Samish
samish_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2014, 23:04   #177
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 111
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Travelogue: Bangalore to Kolkata

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post
Yes - it's perfectly doable in two days and I have done in this Feb.
...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
I would agree with Saurabh 100%. I have done Bangalore to Kolkata a minimum of 10 times all of them in 2 days! The last trip was made last month itself!
...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurabh M View Post
My 2 cents here.

Bangalore to Kolkata is doable in 2 days, without much stress. I did it in Aug 2013.

....
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
This looks perfect. But Nellore to Puri on day 2 will be more than a 15 hour drive, I bet. Budget at least 17 to 18 hours as you have your family travelling with you.
Thanks all for your inputs. Yes, 2 days should be enough. But I am starting in the evening as I want to reach Puri by Day-2 evening.

The road I am talking about is as below NH5 - Nirakarpur - Chupuring - Chandanpur - Puri. Any inputs on the condition of this road? I will be doing it mostly in the late evening.
Attached Images
 
rajatmakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2014, 10:10   #178
BHPian
 
ssjr0498's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Blr-Ccu
Posts: 641
Thanked: 118 Times
Default Re: Travelogue: Bangalore to Kolkata

Quote:
Originally Posted by samish_g View Post
Thanks @ssjr0498. I too am planning to a Bangalore-Kolkata next year. I was planning to halt at the Ramakrishna Beach. Have you stayed in the Ramakrishna Beach during your trips? Any preferred hotels in this area?
Also wanted some information about the evening traffic in Vizag.

Regards,

Samish
Samish,

I haven't stayed at Ramakrishna beach, I 99% of the time stay at the Beach Resort (APSTDC) at Rushikonda beach. I prefer this because it is a 5 min detour from the highway, this helps is getting in and exiting the city when traveling to and from Bangalore.

As I stay at this beach hotel, I generally don't have to encounter a lot of traffic, but yeah, you could say that there is some level of traffic during the peak evening hours! Honestly, for me, as I stay in Bangalore, traffic in Vizag is peanuts compared to what I encounter here! Lol!

Cheers!
ssjr0498 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2014, 18:03   #179
BHPian
 
rahul4640's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 462
Thanked: 291 Times
Default Re: Travelogue: Bangalore to Kolkata

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatmakar View Post
Yes, 2 days should be enough. I am starting in the evening as I want to reach Puri by Day-2 evening.
Please let us know what was the total duration of your journey time. Do you plan to make it a non-stop one?

Last edited by rahul4640 : 18th November 2014 at 18:04.
rahul4640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2014, 20:44   #180
BHPian
 
samish_g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 207
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: Travelogue: Bangalore to Kolkata

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
Samish,

I haven't stayed at Ramakrishna beach, I 99% of the time stay at the Beach Resort (APSTDC) at Rushikonda beach. I prefer this because it is a 5 min detour from the highway, this helps is getting in and exiting the city when traveling to and from Bangalore.
Thank you for the detailed information. I also checked their website www.aptdc.gov.in/vizag.html and found it fairly reasonable for a night's stay.

Quote:
Honestly, for me, as I stay in Bangalore, traffic in Vizag is peanuts compared to what I encounter here! Lol!

Cheers!
I too being from Bangalore can imagine your plight!!!

Regards

Samish
samish_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weekend Travelogue: Bangalore-Chikmagalur-Sringeri-Agumbe-Shravanabelagola-Bangalore kirantp Travelogues 47 9th September 2016 19:35
Weekend Travelogue: Bangalore - Lepakshi - Bangalore akroy Travelogues 27 2nd July 2010 19:24
"Kolkata - Leh - Kolkata * Interested Kolkata TBHP Members. Captdey Route / Travel Queries 17 17th May 2010 23:48
Travelogue - Bangalore - Mysore - Nagarhole - Kannur - Bangalore anainar Travelogues 10 16th January 2008 18:56
Travelogue of Kolkata to Hyderabad in a Baleno BlackPearl Travelogues 63 25th September 2007 11:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:44.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks