Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 11th December 2016, 19:33   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Hyderabad - Sikkim in a Duster AWD!

@ARAY.

Excellent TL. Yes, the AWD Duster is truly capable enough vehicle (though I wouldnt pit it again to a trail like Sandakphu based on my previous experience).

The pics are excellent.

I noticed a mention about not passing through the Chilika Lake side after 6pm. What about that? I did travel that stretch numerous times but couldnt figure out what you may be pointing at!

Warm regards
Unavowed_X9
Unavowed_X9 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 10:08   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unavowed_X9 View Post
@ARAY.

Excellent TL. Yes, the AWD Duster is truly capable enough vehicle (though I wouldnt pit it again to a trail like Sandakphu based on my previous experience).

The pics are excellent.

I noticed a mention about not passing through the Chilika Lake side after 6pm. What about that? I did travel that stretch numerous times but couldnt figure out what you may be pointing at!

Warm regards
Unavowed_X9

I believe you are referring to http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...sandakphu.html (Pajero, Duster & Thar: Zero visibility raid on Sandakphu!)

However I would also point you to http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post3970595 (Can the Duster AWD scale Sandakphu, the highest peak in West Bengal?)

This Bong Duster has not hitched the Sandakphu yet, unfortunately. But I know for sure several WB registered Dusters are doing Sandakphu just for fun now a days over any random weekend. A lot you see depends on the person driving it and the experiences he/she carries.
Regarding the Chilka stretch, we all know what I mean
ARAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 10:14   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARAY View Post
I believe you are referring to http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...sandakphu.html (Pajero, Duster & Thar: Zero visibility raid on Sandakphu!)

However I would also point you to http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post3970595 (Can the Duster AWD scale Sandakphu, the highest peak in West Bengal?)

This Bong Duster has not hitched the Sandakphu yet, unfortunately. But I know for sure several WB registered Dusters are doing Sandakphu just for fun now a days over any random weekend. A lot you see depends on the person driving it and the experiences he/she carries.
Regarding the Chilka stretch, we all know what I mean
Yes. Agree the driver matters! As many have realised, a Low Ratio Box seems mandatory to do the Sandakphu trail comfortably (not with assist).

As far as Chilika is concerned, I have done it many times at all kinds of hours. Never had any issues so far. May be I was lucky!

Happy Safe Motoring
Unavowed_X9
Unavowed_X9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 10:42   #19

Beautiful pictures. I studied in Darjeeling when I was young so it brought back a lot of memories. Thanks!!
adpandey is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 13:08   #20
BHPian

Excellent Travelogue ARAY !! The pictures are simply astounding !! Made me nostalgic and relive my trip to Sikkim; earlier this year in 2016. The link to my Travelogue - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...kkim-baby.html (Exploring West Sikkim with a Baby)

Sharing some pictures of my Figo from my last visit without your due permission, hope you will not mind :

Hyderabad - Sikkim in a Duster AWD!-img_1218-2.jpg

Hyderabad - Sikkim in a Duster AWD!-img_1045.jpg

Hyderabad - Sikkim in a Duster AWD!-img20160531wa0078_1-2.jpg

Keep sharing and keep inspiring
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 13:28   #21
BHPian

Informative, well articulated, and great photographs. Rated 5.
For Sandakphu you have resident knowledge banks in form of 1100D, Blackpearl and Lovercars, right? So next time
me_sid is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 14:33   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
Excellent Travelogue ARAY !! The pictures are simply astounding !! Made me nostalgic and relive my trip to Sikkim; earlier this year in 2016. The link to my Travelogue - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...kkim-baby.html (Exploring West Sikkim with a Baby)

Sharing some pictures of my Figo from my last visit without your due permission, hope you will not mind :

Attachment 1584248

Attachment 1584249

Attachment 1584250

Keep sharing and keep inspiring
Thanks Aravda for sharing the lovely images. Great images are always welcome. Your Figo with the 500FFs reminds me of my beloved Punto a lot.

Hyderabad - Sikkim in a Duster AWD!-12032706_10153574404725549_1383495572082101516_o.jpg

Hyderabad - Sikkim in a Duster AWD!-10700745_10152867322125549_5181717914426198831_o.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_sid View Post
Informative, well articulated, and great photographs. Rated 5.
For Sandakphu you have resident knowledge banks in form of 1100D, Blackpearl and Lovercars, right? So next time
Fortunately Sid-da I am in touch with them and their blessing has kind of become mandatory before the Sandakphu climb.
You being in the proximity of Sandakphu and with your new AWD round the corner, the experience you gather would also become super valuable .

Last edited by ARAY : 12th December 2016 at 14:49.
ARAY is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 18:12   #23
BHPian

A travelogue of Sikkim is always so close to the heart. With every new one, the urge to visit increases manifold. A travelogue of Sikkim is always about reliving my memories of the place.

Wonderful journey and lovely pictures! Many may disapprove, but I always found a rainy Sikkim to be more charming than a bright sunny one.

The Bong Duster is a mean machine.

Thank you!
mi2n is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 20:09   #24
BHPian

Beautiful travelogue Aray.Sikkim remains top of the list of places we have visited.Seem to have missed Yuksom/rhododendron Valley Varsi /Lachung and Lachen and Gurudongmar in your visit.Though must admit every corner of Sikkim is heaven on earth.

Breathtaking photographs and wonderful detailing.
vijayols is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2016, 00:21   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Beautiful travelogue ARAY! The pictures give away the fact that you are a close friend our ace photographer Samba. I saw your TS registered Duster on the Botolbari route while we were coming back from Bhutan. I realised it later, otherwise would have tried to stop you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARAY View Post

You can also refer to this thread, the first Duster to have made it to Sandakphu!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ndra-thar.html (Sandakphu and beyond in a Mahindra Thar)

A pic from the thread -

Hyderabad - Sikkim in a Duster AWD!-img_20160324_125937.jpg

Last edited by BlackPearl : 15th December 2016 at 00:26.
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2016, 10:01   #26
BHPian

Fantastic Travelogue Aritra. Happy to see the Bong Duster AWD taking you to less traveled places without worry. Your Duster looks smashing & you are definitely doing justice to the vehicle.

The pictures are amazing !! Its good to see the Himalayas through your lens. It also adds to a different perspective to the area.

Keep Traveling & Keep writing !!

Regards,

Pawan

Rated 5 Stars
PapaBravo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2016, 14:21   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Beautiful travelogue ARAY! The pictures give away the fact that you are a close friend our ace photographer Samba. I saw your TS registered Duster on the Botolbari route while we were coming back from Bhutan. I realised it later, otherwise would have tried to stop you

You can also refer to this thread, the first Duster to have made it to Sandakphu!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ndra-thar.html (Sandakphu and beyond in a Mahindra Thar)

A pic from the thread -

Attachment 1585035

Thanks for sharing . Being far off from Himalayas is definitely a disadvantage but the Punto and Duster make things relatively easy. For the Botolbari route it would have been an honour to meet you.
And since you do Kolkata - Chennai so often , if not Botolbari , NH16 is always there .

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post

Fantastic Travelogue Aritra. Happy to see the Bong Duster AWD taking you to less traveled places without worry. Your Duster looks smashing & you are definitely doing justice to the vehicle.

The pictures are amazing !! Its good to see the Himalayas through your lens. It also adds to a different perspective to the area.

Keep Traveling & Keep writing !!

Regards,

Pawan
Thanks Pawanda , had it not been for yours and Sambas help during the Duster purchase things would have been a lot different and hectic i guess
Also thanks for the suggestion on paragliding near Deolo and the Fuel indicator issue.

Last edited by ARAY : 15th December 2016 at 14:23.
ARAY is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2016, 00:18   #28
BHPian

Awesome Travelogue Aray. And amazing pictures, as expected
I would love to know about your camera gear which you used for this trip.
divyankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2016, 11:03   #29
BHPian

Beautifully written travelogue and a brilliant photography I should say. This travelogue will surely make the reader jealous.

The Duster looks stunning where ever she has modelled. Sikkim is one among the places I wish to visit sometime.

Happy travelling.

Cheers,
Aslam
Aslamjaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2016, 11:12   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by divyankar View Post
Awesome Travelogue Aray. And amazing pictures, as expected
I would love to know about your camera gear which you used for this trip.
I was carrying a Canon 70D but due to the weather ended up using the iphone6s at most places. For the video I was running sj4000.
ARAY is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote