Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 17th December 2016, 15:30   #1
BHPian

Default VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur

VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-travelogue-cover.png

Prologue

I like to make travel plans, and I make plenty of plans. But I don’t necessarily follow them. In fact, most of my memorable trips have been planned at the last minute. This year too I had planned to visit Rajasthan during the Diwali holidays, but for some reason the plan got cancelled. As there was no Rajasthan plan, wife made her own plans - to visit her parents in Nashik and then to visit her sister in Indore. We booked a driver to drop her and our daughters off to Nashik in our Jetta. I had no plan or intention to join them.

On the eve of Lakshmipoojan, around 7 PM –

Wife: “Why don’t you also come with us?”
Me: “But what will I do? You know how easily I get bored there.”
W: “We’ll figure out something, maybe you can come with me to Indore, we can do a small trip around Indore.”
M: “I’m not sure, let me think about it”

Fast forward to 11 PM. Wife and daughters had their bags packed. There was excitement about the trip in the air.

“Too bad”, I thought, I am not going anywhere.

Normally, when I am about to travel I get into a sort of “trip mode” and I find the night before the trip just as exciting as the trip itself. I thought I was missing out on that excitement. Suddenly, the impulsive desire to pack the bags and go somewhere took over.

At 11:30pm I declared “I am coming with you!”

A glimpse of what's coming up next (Though I didn't know where I was going next )
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-collage-copy.png
Hold tight
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-getsetreadygo2.png

Last edited by MandarMax : 18th December 2016 at 17:54.
MandarMax is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2016, 16:33   #2
BHPian

Default re: VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur

Day 1- 2 Pune – Nashik - Indore

Since we had already booked the driver, we decided to let him drive (eventually I asked him to step aside because I couldn’t stay away for long ). We decided to take an alternate route to Nashik which I had discovered previously (via Karjat – Murbad. See here (Pune - Nashik Alternate Route)).

The trip to Nashik was mostly uneventful except for the detour we had to take due to one bridge closure (details here (Pune - Nashik Alternate Route)). Below is the bridge that’s now closed for repairs. (Pictures taken during last trip)

VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_8622.jpg
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_8623.jpg

After spending about a day and a half in Nashik, we travelled to Indore via Dhule. It’s a nice 4 lane highway, so we covered the distance quite fast.

Early morning near Chandwad:
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_8679.jpg

We crossed Tapi and Narmada rivers along the way.

Beautiful evening near Narmada bridge at Khalghat. (Pictures taken during an earlier trip as I couldn't stop this time)

VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_88252.jpg
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_8827.jpg

Distance travelled so far from Pune ~700kms
MandarMax is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2016, 17:23   #3
BHPian

Default Day 3 – Indore

I had heard a lot of good things about the tasty and awesome street food of Indore. People here just love to eat and I think every Indorekar is a true connoisseur of food.

Next morning had great tasting Pohe and Samosa for breakfast. Indore didn’t disappoint. The taste was very good.

Everyone recommended a visit to the Sarafa area. It’s called Sarafa because of the numerous jewellery shops which operate in that area during daytime, and after late evening it transforms into a heaven for street food lovers.

The area is comprised of some very small lanes, so taking my Jetta was out of question. We hired an auto rickshaw and got down just near the Sarafa.

Some street photography on the way to Sarafa:
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_9971.jpg
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_9975.jpg

Once we entered Sarafa, there were food stalls everywhere - lots of different types of food options – wide variety to satisfy everyone’s taste buds.

VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_9978.jpg

It was around 10:00pm and the crowds had just started pouring in.

VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_9979.jpg

We sampled the dahi wada and bhutta kees from here:

VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_9986.jpg

The owner of the place entertains customers using his juggling skills. He throws the bowl up in the air with one hand and catches it with another. I couldn’t capture that on my camera because by now there was too much crowd, and I also had to focus on eating the food.

We sampled many food options here. The taste was simply amazing. I highly recommend visiting here if you visit Indore.

VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-foodmontage.png
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-foodmontage2.png

More pictures of the area and the crowds.

VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_9998.jpg
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_9999.jpg

I didn’t get a chance to do any other sightseeing in Indore, but was able to catch a quick view of the Rajwada at night:

VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0014.jpg

Last edited by MandarMax : 18th December 2016 at 17:29.
MandarMax is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2016, 17:31   #4
BHPian

Default The Udaipur Plan

The Udaipur Plan

Until we reached Indore we had no fixed plans of further travel. I thought maybe we could go to Ujjain and then head back to Pune. Another alternative - since we were relatively closer to Rajasthan - was to take a longer route back to Pune via Udaipur – Vadodara – Mumbai route.

Google was showing a distance of about 450 kms via Dewas as my brother in law was also planning to join us. As per Google’s estimate, it would take little over 8 hours. There were couple of road options, and I wasn’t sure which one was the best. Trusting Google maps alone was risky because I didn’t know anything about the actual road conditions, traffic in this part of India. Another issue was it was quite difficult to get a hotel booking at the last minute, especially during the Diwali week and that too on a Friday. At this moment, I decided to get help from an honourable team bhp member – Mr HVK sir. Got in touch with him, he helped with the route planning + Hotel booking. Everything was sorted out by late evening. Without his help it would have been difficult to plan the trip.

We were back from Sarafa around 11:30 pm. Bags packed again and we were all set. Plan was to start early next day - at 5:30 in the morning. I was going to get a sleep of barely 5 hours.

The “real” trip would begin from tomorrow. The excitement was back again.
MandarMax is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2016, 18:25   #5
BHPian

Default Day 4 - Indore – Dewas – Chittorgarh

Day 4 - Indore – Dewas – Chittorgarh - Udaipur

Next morning, I got up even before the alarm went off, but still felt fresh. Me, Wife and Daughters all were ready for this exciting trip.

Our route was going to be Indore --> Dewas --> Ujjain --> Jaora --> Mandsaur --> Neemuch --> Chittorgarh --> Udaipur. Distance ~ 466 Kilometres.

Name:  map1.png
Views: 10153
Size:  461.0 KB

Started at around 5:45am. It was really chilly outside. Dashboard was showing 14 degrees outside. There was virtually no traffic, so we reached Dewas soon. Picked up my brother in law and we were on the Ujjain road by 6:45am. Our decision to start early was proving to be good. There was hardly any traffic as we went via the Ujjain bypass towards Jaora.

By 8:14am we crossed river Chambal. To be honest I didn’t know we were going to cross Chambal on this route. So, it was a bit of a surprise. I decided to click some quick pictures.

VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-chambal1.jpg

By 8:36am we were at Jaora bypass towards Neemuch. So what would have been the slowest leg of the journey was covered pretty fast. The road was expected to be much better and faster here onwards.

The roads were mostly straight and in excellent condition. We crossed Mandsaur around 9:30am.

Somewhere near Mandsaur:
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0045road.jpg

Getting closer to Rajasthan border. Straight roads.
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0046road.jpg

Topped up diesel just before Chittorgarh town. Reached Chittorgarh at 11:15am. We navigated towards the fort and very soon we were at the entrance or the first gate “Padal Pol” (in local language Pol == Gate).
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0058padalpol.jpg

You can take your car inside the fort and pretty much everywhere on the fort. I was pleasantly surprised to find that there wasn’t too much traffic or crowd on the fort. There were plenty of tourists but it was nothing as compared to my expectations. To put things into perspective, the number of cars and the people were much less than what one would find on a average weekend on the Sinhagad fort near Pune.

The fort is generally in a very good condition. There are total seven gates or ‘Pol’s.

Hanuman Pol
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0068hanumanpol.jpg

Yet another Pol
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0083pol.jpg

We decided to hire a guide as we still had to go to Udaipur and wanted to make most out of the time available. It proved to be a good decision as we were able to focus on the important sights and also got some good information.

Our first visit was to Vishnu and Meerabai temples. This temple complex is beautiful and most of the temple and its sculptures are in a good condition.

Vishnu temple:
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0089vishnu1.jpg
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0092vishnu2.jpg

Meerabai temple:
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0094meera1.jpg
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0096meera2.jpg

View of the Vishnu temple from the Meera temple. Can you spot the monkeys?
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0098vishnu3.jpg

Next we visited the Vijay Stambha. This 15th century tower is one of the main symbols of this fort. It’s tall at about 122 ft and looks quite imposing.
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0113vs1.jpg
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0120vs2.jpg

Next to Vijay Stambha is the place where Maharani Padmini committed Jauhar. Jain temple nearby:

VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0137jaintemple.jpg

There is also a temple of Brahma-Vishnu-Mahesh. It is surrounded by ruins, but the temple itself is in a pretty good shape.

VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0135brahma2.jpg
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0136bahma3.jpg

VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0138brahma4.jpg

Nandi outside the Brahma-Vishnu-Mahesh temple:
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0152nandi.jpg

Place where the Ranis used to bathe:
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0156bath.jpg

View of the Chittorgarh city:
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0144fort2.jpg

Another view of the fort:
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0143fort1.jpg

Vijay Stambha from another angle:
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0160vs3.jpg

The palace of Maharani Padmini:
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0172padminipalace.jpg
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0175steps.jpg

Keerti Stambha and Jain temple:
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0194keerti.jpg

We were done with the main sights in less than two hours, which, of course isn't sufficient to see everything. You need at least a day if not more if you want to truly appreciate the beauty and the architecture. I promised myself to spend sufficient time during next visit as we headed towards Udaipur.

It was around 2pm and we needed to stop for food. Fortunately, my daughters and wife enjoy long driving trips as much I do, and they don’t complain at all. We stopped at “Elegance – AKJ resorts” which is very close to the Udaipur highway. After a good lunch, it was time to head to Udaipur.

Last edited by MandarMax : 18th December 2016 at 17:34.
MandarMax is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2016, 13:58   #6
BHPian

Default Day 4 - Udaipur

We were on the outskirts of Udaipur by 4:30 pm. The place we were going to stay was a heritage hotel named “Karohi Haveli”. Getting to the hotel wasn’t the easiest part as it is along lake Pichola, which means you must navigate through some really narrow alleyways. As we went closer to the hotel, we took couple of wrong turns and turning around was hell. Mind you, manoeuvring through old Udaipur in a big car is not an easy task.

VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_20161104_165605udaipurlanes.jpg

Luckily it didn’t us take too long to find the hotel. We were pleasantly surprised by it. It’s a 200 year old heritage hotel, situated on top of a small hill offering good views of Lake Pichola and the City Palace. We checked in around 5pm.

VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0372haveli.jpg

Stunning view of the lake and City Palace from the garden. This was better than what we had expected.

VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0246viewfromgarden.jpg

View of the reception area:
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0364entrance.jpg

Some pictures of the hotel and the room. The room had a beautiful artwork on the ceiling.
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-hotel-collage.jpg

Another view of the lake:
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0255viewfromterrace.jpg

Views from the terrace and the rooftop restaurant:
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-terraceviewcollage.jpg

Besides the terrace, the seating arrangement in the central courtyard area felt nice.
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0352quad.jpg

That's a bathroom door
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0238bathroomdoor.jpg

There was a large group of foreigners staying at the hotel. Most were old folks and sounded British. Probably fans of “The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel” I thought , or the bond film Octopussy, which was shot in Udaipur.

We freshened up and decided to take a stroll around the nearby lanes and pols that evening. Pictures from Chand Pol and Haathi Pol market:
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-nightviewudaipurcollage.jpg

More night views:
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0317bridge1.jpg
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0320bridge2.jpg

Interesting graffiti on the wall:
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0335graffity.jpg

Night view of the lake:
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0310lakeviewnt.jpg

Last edited by MandarMax : 18th December 2016 at 17:40.
Old 18th December 2016, 15:27   #7
BHPian

Default Day 5 – Udaipur

Next morning, took more pictures of the hotel and surrounding area, and then we decided to take a walk around Lake Pichola. I will let the pictures do more talking.

VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0369.jpg
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0379.jpg
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0398lane.jpg
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0406lake2.jpg

Lake panorama:
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0404lake1.jpg
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0407pol.jpg

VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-lightroom-img_0410.cr2.jpg

Two gentlemen passionately repairing this old bullet:
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0411bullet.jpg

VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0419.jpg

After some shopping, we went to the City Palace. There was a huge queue of cars and people at the entrance. We purchased tickets costing @ Rs 250 per head, and similar amount for the camera. It’s ridiculous why we should have to pay for the camera after paying so much for the entry. There was too much crowd and another queue as we entered the palace. After seeing the queues, we decided to come back again during our next trip if they refunded the ticket money. We asked and fortunately they did refund!

City Palace main entrance:
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0425.jpg

VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0426.jpg
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0428.jpg
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0429.jpg
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0430.jpg
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0431.jpg
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0434.jpg

Jagdish temple:
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0445.jpg

Last edited by MandarMax : 18th December 2016 at 17:43.
Old 18th December 2016, 15:46   #8
BHPian

We checked out of the hotel. We had to be back to Pune by next day.

VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0392jetta.jpg

Next we went to the other side of Lake Pichola. Where there is a boat ride point and the rope way. The ropeway had queues and so decided to not spend much time.

Dudh Talai:
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0454another-lake.jpg
Ropeway:
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0485ropeway.jpg
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0464lake1.jpg
Jag Mandir at the middle of the lake:
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0466lake2.jpg
Boat rides:
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0467boat.jpg

More pictures of the area:
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0484killa.jpg
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0480lake3.jpg

My little daughter had two wishes before we came here – she wanted to take picture dressed in traditional Rajasthani attire, and the second was camel ride.

VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-img_0458sa.jpg

Both wishes fulfilled and we were ready to start our return journey.

It was around 3:30pm, stopped for lunch on the highway just outside of Udaipur. Had traditional Rajasthani daal bati.
VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-dalbati.jpg

We were planning a night stop at Vadodara. The return route was:

Udaipur - Shamlaji - Modasa – Godhra - Halol - Vadodara (about 345 Kms)

The hilly and winding roads just south of Udaipur are quite scenic and were a joy to drive on.

The return trip was generally smooth and uneventful. As we turned left from Shamlaji to Modasa the traffic reduced significantly. It was quite dark and cold on the outside. We didn’t have to pay any toll.

At 9:30pm we checked in at Hotel Plazzo which is right on the highway on the outskirts of Vadodara. The Hotel and the food was okayish. We were all tired and soon went to bed.

Last edited by MandarMax : 18th December 2016 at 17:51.
Old 18th December 2016, 17:25   #9
BHPian

Default Day 6 – Vadodara to Pune

Next morning had a breakfast at the same hotel, and we were ready to move around 10:15am.

Today’s route was Vadodara - Bharuch - Surat -Vapi - Ghodbander - Thane Navi Mumbai Pune (549 Kms)

I was expecting delays due to traffic on the Narmada bridge at Bharuch but things were not so bad. We made fast progress till we reached Ghodbander (around 4:30pm) where we encountered a huge traffic jam due to the bridge work. It took us about 30 mins to cross Ghodbander. Guidance from HVK sir proved very useful to get out of Mumbai smoothly. On Mumbai – Pune e-way there was usual traffic. Topped up diesel on the highway and reached home at around 8 pm.

Total distance traveled during the trip - ~2300 Kms

VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur-tripmap.png
Old 19th December 2016, 07:57   #10
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to the Travelogues Section. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2016, 16:46   #11
BHPian

Default Re: VW Jetta: A trip from Pune to Indore & Udaipur

What an amazing travelogue. I have been to the Sarafa, Indsore several times and every time I leave the place unsatisfied and looking for more. Such is the magic of this place for foodies like me.
sidd25 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2016, 17:22   #12
BHPian

Thanks for sharing the travelogue. Did you find any good eatery between Shirdi-Indore, apart from Kamat? I had done Pune - Indore some time back and couldnt find one. There were only dhabas in between.
Waspune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2016, 17:29   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
Thanks for sharing the travelogue. Did you find any good eatery between Shirdi-Indore, apart from Kamat? I had done Pune - Indore some time back and couldnt find one. There were only dhabas in between.
No, I didn't take the Pune - Shirdi - Malegaon road, so don't know. I went via Nashik.
MandarMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2016, 18:50   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
No, I didn't take the Pune - Shirdi - Malegaon road, so don't know. I went via Nashik.
Right. Apologies for skipping this in your travelogue.
Waspune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2016, 02:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

Awesome travelogue. I am planning a trip from Indore to Nashik next week. I assume road is good. Any suggestions for halts enroute? Also any input on road condition or travelling time is welcome.
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote