Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 31st December 2016, 16:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Trek to Kuduremukha Peak - Guide & Photologue

Apart from obsession with cars, I was always obsessed on getting as close to nature possible. One beautiful and enjoyable methods being going on a trek. I always prefer going on treks that offer beautiful landscapes and it has to be a difficult one. I hate the treks that are easy; I reckon such as picnics. I have made it a point to do atleast 1 trek in every calendar year. The last one was to Kumara Parvatha in December 2015. I have done Kumapa Parvatha like 12-13 times already. A trek to Kuduremukha peak kept eluding me. Somehow, I just couldn't make it. More so, probably because its a relatively easier one.

In 2016, no treks really panned out for me. It had just been 10k run marathons, a half marathon and many more 10k runs. Suddenly, my buddy Arjun Jayakumar from Chennai calls me and shows desperation for a trek. Entire of November, he literally got on to my nerve. For various reasons, including my acquisition of my 2007 Ambassador, it did not pan out. Suddenly the last week of December we just realized both were off for the entire week. I had lot of errands to run, the very reason I choose to be off. With literally no planning, we just decided to Kuduremukha on 26th evening that we were going the very next night from Bangalore.

Arjun quickly made his arrangements and started from Chennai on 27th noon and reached Bangalore by night. He took the TN State transport bus and it horribly got him late. He barely managed to get down at Stantinagar and rush to Majestic on time for the 10PM bus to Kalasa.

The bus initially was empty, and got 80% full by time it started. It was full Hassan onwards. We reached Kalasa by 5.30 AM. It was bone chilling and foggy. Some shops were already open. We sipped some hot tea and were told the bus to Kuduremukha was at 6.30AM. We whiled away till 6.30AM. The bus was on time and we boarded it. We were to travel in this bus till BaLegal village which was the start point of the trek. Its just 10km from Kalasa. The drive till BaLegal was very scenic and chilly.
Attached Thumbnails
Trek to Kuduremukha Peak - Guide & Photologue-1-ksrtc.jpg  

Trek to Kuduremukha Peak - Guide & Photologue-2-privatebus.jpg  

Trek to Kuduremukha Peak - Guide & Photologue-3.jpg  

Last edited by funkykar : 31st December 2016 at 16:34.
funkykar is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2016, 19:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Trek to Kuduremukha Peak - Guide & Photologue

By 6.45AM we got down at BaLegal. From here, we needed take the road to Mullodi. It is 6kms to the trek start point. We have 2 options. Either take a Jeep till Raje Gowda home which also acts as beginning of the trek. It is a flat 600rs for one way jeep ride, irrespective of the pax. The forest office is just 100m from there. The first half of the road is motor able, the latter half is 4x4 territory. We choose to walk the 6kk, especially that we have heard Kuduremukha trek is relatively easier.

We were greeted by a Jeep driver, apparently he knew we were coming. He was the driver for Raje Gowda. He was there to pick another group. He asked if we needed the Jeep. We declined the offer and said, we will consider for return journey if its dark. Plan was to walk back after the trek, if daylight permits.

Here are all the pics we clicked during our walk to Raje Gowda home:
Attached Thumbnails
Trek to Kuduremukha Peak - Guide & Photologue-1.jpg  

Trek to Kuduremukha Peak - Guide & Photologue-2.jpg  

Trek to Kuduremukha Peak - Guide & Photologue-4.jpg  

Trek to Kuduremukha Peak - Guide & Photologue-5.jpg  

Trek to Kuduremukha Peak - Guide & Photologue-6.jpg  

Trek to Kuduremukha Peak - Guide & Photologue-7.jpg  

Trek to Kuduremukha Peak - Guide & Photologue-8.jpg  

Trek to Kuduremukha Peak - Guide & Photologue-9.jpg  

Trek to Kuduremukha Peak - Guide & Photologue-99.jpg  

Last edited by funkykar : 31st December 2016 at 19:20.
funkykar is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2016, 19:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

We reached Raje Gowda home at about 8.15AM. We were greeted by him. He enquired what was our plan. He checked if we were staying back for the night after the trek. We confirmed that we intended to get back to Bangalore the same night. We already had booked our tickets on the KSRTC Non-AC Sleeper bus back to Bangalore. We just needed breakfast, packed lunch and may be tea during evening.

We freshened up and changed to more comfortable clothes for the actual trek. We planned to have a very light breakfast to aid us in trekking. We ended up having a super sumptuous breakfast. The neer dose's laced with coconut, the sambar rich in fresh vegetable largely cut and coconut chutneys can never ever be forgotten. Arguably, the best that I have ever had. No, it did not taste well because of being hungry after a 6km walk. It really was!

We were provided Puliyogre as packed lunch. I had got some cucumbers, carrots, energy bars from Bangalore. We organized all of it in our backpacks, left unnecessary stuff at Raje Gowda home. It was very sunny, yet cold. We applied suns cream generously. We were told that taking a guide was mandatory. We were also told we cannot camp at the peak, something we already knew.

A couple of very young boys were to be our guides. They were on their summer vacation. We started the trek, registered at the forest office, paid the fees and continued.
Attached Thumbnails
Trek to Kuduremukha Peak - Guide & Photologue-0.jpg  

Trek to Kuduremukha Peak - Guide & Photologue-img_20161228_093557.jpg  

Old 31st December 2016, 19:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

There are 2 notable points that one cannot miss during the trek.
a) A board stating 5km to peak
b) A lone standing tree, named ONTIMARA (Means lonely tree in Kannada)

The trek is very easy going until both the points are crossed. Can say, it was over 60% of walk and may be 20% easy ascends and another 20% medium ascends. Though the sun was blazing, the weather was really cool. Perspiration was very low.

Our two little boy guides Sreejith and Sudeep are seen in the pics. They were awesome company. They were very excited and they too enjoyed their trek. They were extremely happy to be amidst mountains during their Christmas holidays.

Here are the pics:
Attached Thumbnails

Trek to Kuduremukha Peak - Guide & Photologue-7.jpg  

Trek to Kuduremukha Peak - Guide & Photologue-99.jpg  

Trek to Kuduremukha Peak - Guide & Photologue-.jpg  

Trek to Kuduremukha Peak - Guide & Photologue-b.jpg  

Trek to Kuduremukha Peak - Guide & Photologue-c.jpg  

Trek to Kuduremukha Peak - Guide & Photologue-d.jpg  

Trek to Kuduremukha Peak - Guide & Photologue-e.jpg  

Trek to Kuduremukha Peak - Guide & Photologue-f.jpg  

Trek to Kuduremukha Peak - Guide & Photologue-g.jpg  

Trek to Kuduremukha Peak - Guide & Photologue-h.jpg  

Trek to Kuduremukha Peak - Guide & Photologue-i.jpg  

Trek to Kuduremukha Peak - Guide & Photologue-j.jpg  

Trek to Kuduremukha Peak - Guide & Photologue-uuuu.png  

Trek to Kuduremukha Peak - Guide & Photologue-xxxx.png  

Trek to Kuduremukha Peak - Guide & Photologue-zzzzz.png  

Last edited by funkykar : 31st December 2016 at 20:03.
Old 31st December 2016, 20:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

Just after Ontimaraa, the climb is very steep for quite some time. I felt this was the business end of the trek. Once we finish this climb, there is an easy walk for a while and then there is some open area with some shade. The peak from there is just 20min climb. We rested here for a while and also had our lunch. Fresh water also is available here to refill.

We then climbed up the peak. The weather was reasonably clear, but foggy at the far end places. We spent a few minutes here and then retraced our path to be back before dark.

Will let the pictures do the talking:
Attached Thumbnails
Trek to Kuduremukha Peak - Guide & Photologue-000.png  

Trek to Kuduremukha Peak - Guide & Photologue-0.jpg  

Trek to Kuduremukha Peak - Guide & Photologue-b.jpg  

Trek to Kuduremukha Peak - Guide & Photologue-c.jpg  

Trek to Kuduremukha Peak - Guide & Photologue-d.jpg  

Trek to Kuduremukha Peak - Guide & Photologue-e.jpg  

Trek to Kuduremukha Peak - Guide & Photologue-f.jpg  

Trek to Kuduremukha Peak - Guide & Photologue-g.jpg  

Trek to Kuduremukha Peak - Guide & Photologue-h.jpg  

Trek to Kuduremukha Peak - Guide & Photologue-i.jpg  

funkykar is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2016, 20:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

Anyone who wants to do this trek, could follow this plan:

- Set proper expectations for all the pax before hand. For amateurs, this is a very difficult trek. For seasoned trekkers, this is easy to medium difficulty. Its definitely not a picnic.

- Call Raje Gowda @ 9481179008 and reserve for home stay/food and Jeep ride. During weekends and holidays, heard its a mad rush. If you want a peaceful trek, take a day off and beat the crowd.

- Book the night bus to Kalasa. Preferably a sleeper bus. Apart from KSRTC, heard Sugama travels have very good buses.

- From Kalasa, board the bus that goes to Kuduremukha and take ticket to BaLegal. Request the conductor to inform when the stop comes. Buses start 06.30AM and heard there is one every 30min during busy hours and hourly during non busy hours.

- Walk/Jeep towards Mullodi. The very last house before Forest Checkpost is Raje Gowda's.

- Leave unnecessary stuff here, have breakfast and start the trek.

- You will be forced a guide whether you want or not, and also pay the fees for trek at the forest office after registering your pax

- Reach peak and leave peak by 2PM. If too slow or anyone unable to keep speed, they too need to take U turn by 2-2.30PM to report back at forest office before dark.

- If you intend to leave to Bangalore same night, take the Jeep/walk to BaLegal and then bus to Kalasa. Take the bus to Bangalore, preferably book in advance and choose to travel in a sleeper bus as the body will be reasonably tired. If not, stay back and enjoy the night. You may need to use your own sleeping bags/tents, not sure if Raje Gowda provides. You may want to check before itself.

Most importantly, please follow LEAVE NO TRACE. Carry all the trash with you and dispose at the forest office where there is a designated bin.

Last edited by funkykar : 31st December 2016 at 20:27.
funkykar is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2017, 09:35   #7
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd January 2017 at 09:35. Reason: Bump
Eddy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote