Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 19th February 2017, 16:57   #16
BHPian

Default re: The Andaman Islands Simply Irresistible

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Excellent travelogue, beautiful photos. You have managed to superbly showcase the beauty of the islands. The writeup couldn't have come at a better time for me. Andaman has been beckoning us for the last three years. Somehow, never managed to put things together. This might just be the trigger.
Thank you for your words. Glad, you liked it. You can PM me if you need details for your planning.
vijayols is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2017, 10:56   #17
BHPian

Default Re: The Andaman Islands Simply Irresistible

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayols View Post

Summary
=================
Phew. Done with a travelogue. Decided to go pretty detailed this time (may be boring for folks). Please bring on the comments!
Thank you for putting this. Its always pleasure to get maximum details in minimum text..
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2017, 11:07   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
Thank you for putting this. Its always pleasure to get maximum details in minimum text..
I know sparky.Every write up is a new learning I guess.
vijayols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2017, 11:42   #19
BHPian

What would be the best time to visit Andamans ? I am mostly planning for scuba diving and other adventure sports. Can you suggest best places where you can do all such activities ?

Thanks.
redcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2017, 12:33   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
What would be the best time to visit Andamans ? I am mostly planning for scuba diving and other adventure sports. Can you suggest best places where you can do all such activities ?

Thanks.

Hi Redcruiser, Go with barefoot scuba. They are the best for adventure sports. Timing wise, I would suggest after monsoons. Sept-1st half of December . December - Feb is peak season with everything being so expensive. Hope this helps.
vijayols is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 14:42   #21
BHPian

Brilliant log and equally beautiful pics. The best i have read on Andamans. Thanks for putting in so much valuable information.

Last edited by columbus : 21st February 2017 at 14:44.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 17:35   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Brilliant log and equally beautiful pics. The best i have read on Andamans. Thanks for putting in so much valuable information.
Thank you Columbus.We wanted to pen our complete experience as well as want other team bhp-ers to have a better experience than we did.

That said Andamans is truly a beautiful place to experience.
Old 22nd February 2017, 14:37   #23
BHPian

Brilliant travelogue and superb narration. The details you have shared are good enough to plan the entire trip based on the info here!

Another aspect I would like to mention is, the trick in Andamans is to wake up early and schedule accordingly. Specially those of us from the western half of India, sun rise and sun set is at least 2 hours early. It's quite surprising to be greeted by full day break at 5:30 am!

And the Radhanagar beach truly is something. You can actually go inside the water for hundreds to meters, and the water level doesn't rise sharply. Even before internet made it famous, it's been the best beach I have ever been to.
avisidhu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2017, 16:57   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Brilliant travelogue and superb narration. The details you have shared are good enough to plan the entire trip based on the info here!

Another aspect I would like to mention is, the trick in Andamans is to wake up early and schedule accordingly. Specially those of us from the western half of India, sun rise and sun set is at least 2 hours early. It's quite surprising to be greeted by full day break at 5:30 am!

And the Radhanagar beach truly is something. You can actually go inside the water for hundreds to meters, and the water level doesn't rise sharply. Even before internet made it famous, it's been the best beach I have ever been to.
Couldn't agree more on the fact that the Andaman certainly is on a different time zone than the rest of the country.It gets dark by 5.30 pm and day light starts by 5.30 am so yes early start is required and night life as we discovered on Christmas hardly stretched up to 11 pm.

Our favorite beach was the Ross and Smith at Diglipur. Radhanagar was unique though.
Old 22nd February 2017, 17:41   #25
Senior - BHPian

A well written travelogue, with all the required details for others to relive the experience!

Thanks @vijayols! Added to my list of places to visit.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2017, 18:11   #26
Senior - BHPian

Great travelogue vijayols.

Had visited Andamans around 4 years back and was always thinking of putting down a travelogue, that never happened.

Good that you spend more time in Neil and Havelock islands. From a tourist point of view, only exiting place I came across in Port Blair was Cellular Jail.

There is a shortage of Andaman travelogues on TBHP, detailed and updated log from you will help others planning in upcoming season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
What would be the best time to visit Andamans ? I am mostly planning for scuba diving and other adventure sports.
Few suggestions from my end -
Do not opt for anything around Port Blair. Too crowded, water is comparatively muddy & location not that great compared to others.

As mentioned above, Bare food scuba is a good option. Do note that they have two stay options. One on west side of the island which is bit expensive compared to the one on east side of the island.

You can also plan stay at any other resorts nearby and just check with them for scuba options.

Be very careful if planning of doing any water sport related activities - snorkeling etc. Though the water is serene and looks like a lake, there is strong currents at certain locations. You will not be able to swim against the ocean currents easily. Also, boats are driven recklessly in many beaches.

Head to Decathlon or any similar sport shop and get yourself a pair of fins, mask and life jacket if you plan to spend more time in water. You wont regret the same.

Do carry a truck load of sunscreen
mpksuhas is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2017, 09:32   #27
BHPian

Wonderful travelogue, with beautiful photos. Thanks for the detailed write-up vijayols.

One more ready reference guide in my great collection of bookmarks.
Nempuguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2017, 18:25   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Great travelogue vijayols.
Good that you spend more time in Neil and Havelock islands. From a tourist point of view, only exiting place I came across in Port Blair was Cellular Jail.
Thanks Mpksuhas for your feedback. Port Blair - That is what we also thought and kept it for the last day, but corbyn cove beach road was beautiful and a stroll on the gleaming footpath would be a delight. Anthropological museum is also worth a visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Few suggestions from my end -
Do not opt for anything around Port Blair. Too crowded, water is comparatively muddy & location not that great compared to others.

As mentioned above, Bare food scuba is a good option. Do note that they have two stay options. One on west side of the island which is bit expensive compared to the one on east side of the island.

You can also plan stay at any other resorts nearby and just check with them for scuba options.

Be very careful if planning of doing any water sport related activities - snorkeling etc. Though the water is serene and looks like a lake, there is strong currents at certain locations. You will not be able to swim against the ocean currents easily. Also, boats are driven recklessly in many beaches.

Head to Decathlon or any similar sport shop and get yourself a pair of fins, mask and life jacket if you plan to spend more time in water. You wont regret the same.

Do carry a truck load of sunscreen
You are absolutely right about doing water sports in known shallow waters and barefoot scuba is the one to go with. We did stay in the barefoot scuba which was cheaper by several notches compared to "The Barefoot" in RadhaNagar beach as that is what is promoted by Serai group. One need to find out the Barefoot scuba stay option, talk to them directly and get the accommodation. If you are a swimmer, carrying your own kit makes lot of sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nempuguru View Post
Wonderful travelogue, with beautiful photos. Thanks for the detailed write-up vijayols.

One more ready reference guide in my great collection of bookmarks.
Thank you Nempuguru and feels good it is making into your bookmarks! We have many such bookmarks from T-BHP This forum is our travel bible

Last edited by SDP : 10th July 2017 at 16:21. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 1st March 2017, 16:52   #29
BHPian

A very concise and well written travelogue. Thanks for sharing.

By the way, how were the temperatures in Andaman during peak day hours? Whether it is advisable to visit during summers like say May or June and what are the food options available for Vegetarian buddies?
Nevertheless, your photographs are quite crisp and a work of art in themselves. Keep them up buddy.
King_pin09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2017, 18:49   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_pin09 View Post
A very concise and well written travelogue. Thanks for sharing.

By the way, how were the temperatures in Andaman during peak day hours? Whether it is advisable to visit during summers like say May or June and what are the food options available for Vegetarian buddies?
Nevertheless, your photographs are quite crisp and a work of art in themselves. Keep them up buddy.
Thanks King_pin for your feedback. December was very pleasant, no doubt. What we heard in general is, temperature does not soar like chennai, but humidity would be there. One thing we could deduce is, it cant be so bad since green cover is so much and concrete invasion is yet to happen. After going there, I would brave June!.

And, no worries for Veggies. We had fantastic food in Port Blair, Neil and Havelock. Okay food in Digilipur. Whatever we have listed in the blog, all are good for vegetarians
vijayols is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote