Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 13th February 2017, 21:51   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Polo GT TSI: Mumbai to Chennai during the Margazhi music season

Awesome trip ! Reminds me of our 2 year stay in Chennai. Maybe the pictures will bring up enough nostalgia to convince mom and dad for such a road trip !

I'm a bit surprised with more tolls in KA than in MH, but the toll/km in MH is way higher than the others.

Rated 5 stars.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 08:10   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
...the toll/km in MH is way higher than the others...
Agree, toll in MH is higher than KA. Possibly GeeTee TSI had a longer distance to cover in KA than MH. A per km toll cost attribution to each state would be a better indicator of which state charges more toll.

Also, the quality of roads is better in KA.
varunsangal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2017, 08:37   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsangal View Post

A point to note: The 'puncture' on Mum-Pune expressway/ just past Pune is a well known scam.
Thanks for sharing on the thread. Low tyre pressure suspicion unfortunately plays on our minds and TPMS as a feature is a few segments away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Awesome trip !

I'm a bit surprised with more tolls in KA than in MH, but the toll/km in MH is way higher than the others.
MH has the big ticket expressway toll which is by far the most expensive single toll in our trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsangal View Post
Agree, toll in MH is higher than KA. Possibly GeeTee TSI had a longer distance to cover in KA than MH. A per km toll cost attribution to each state would be a better indicator of which state charges more toll.

Also, the quality of roads is better in KA.
Though we sort of traversed 3 cities, the maximum kms were on KA roads. Thanks for pointing out, it would be interesting to capture toll cost with kms)

Regarding the quality of roads (highways that is) I found KA and TN distinctly superior in terms of surface quality as well as markings and barricades
GeeTee TSI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2017, 09:11   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
...Low tyre pressure suspicion unfortunately plays on our minds...
True. It does play on the mind. Which is why I stopped about 5 kms later as well to check the tire.

Though in these cases, a lot is to be said about tubeless tires and the condition of tires on the car. Tubeless tires in good conditions (within tolerance specs) tend to pick up very little by way of sharp objects and then only lose very little air as long as the puncturing object is still logged in the tire. E.g. A punctured tire (which my dad conveniently forgot to mention) lost only about 5psi over a 300kms trip.

Whereas, a worn out tubeless tire is likely to burst at high speed and will not lose air slowly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
...I found KA and TN distinctly superior in terms of surface quality as well as markings and barricades
KA and TN indeed have wonderful roads, even the state highways (undivided state roads) are well marked and beautifully laid out. Had got lost somewhere on the local TN roads for ~100kms getting from Pondicherry to Bangalore, the road throughout the 100kms didn't have a single pothole!
varunsangal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2017, 21:13   #20
Team-BHP Support

Nice adventure there!

Set me think what is the best option for folks to go to Puttaparthy from NH4.

One option at the cost of a 60-70km detour:

Puttaparthi - Bagepally - Gudibande - Gauribidanur - Madhugiri - Sira (NH4).

Gauribidabur/Madhugiri are prominent towns and hence expect roads to be better. Also you cross KA-AP border while being on the 4-lane. Roads around Gudibande were getting relaid some months back, Dont know how are they today. But I think on the whole this should be a better option.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2017, 07:18   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Set me think what is the best option for folks to go to Puttaparthy from NH4.

One option at the cost of a 60-70km detour:

Puttaparthi - Bagepally - Gudibande - Gauribidanur - Madhugiri - Sira (NH4).

Gauribidabur/Madhugiri are prominent towns and hence expect roads to be better. Also you cross KA-AP border while being on the 4-lane. Roads around Gudibande were getting relaid some months back, Dont know how are they today. But I think on the whole this should be a better option.
The more one could prolong being on the NH4, might turn out to be a saving in time despite possibly extra kms (Sira as opposed to Chitradurga that was our turn off). It was the Penukonda - Puttaparthi stretch (a short distance) where roads were bad, that too one stretch supposed to be a shortcut.

One route suggested to us was via Solapur, which was not considered owing to our addiction to NH4
GeeTee TSI is online now   Reply With Quote