Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 5th February 2017, 15:22   #16

Default Re: An epic 2 weeks in New Zealand

Superb Travelogue. Rated 5 stars. I have been planning NZ trip from last 3 years now. Postponing every year due to some or the other reason. Thanks for all the detailed information. Now I know what I have been missing.
relichunter is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2017, 19:58   #17
BHPian

What a beautiful country! And an amazing travelogue with wallpaper like pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Looks like if one points a camera anywhere in NZ, there will be something worth clicking.
mustang_shelby is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2017, 20:50   #18
BHPian

Brilliant travelogue. Rated 5 *s. It was a nice play back for me of our trip to NZ in 2010 Dec (first half). We pretty much covered the same places but we did a driving trip. Started from Queenstown, rented a car, drove through South Island West coast up to Greymouth, returned the car, train to Christchurch, train to Picton, ferry to Wellington, rented another car, drove through North Island ending in Auckland and ended our trip. The scenery is breath taking and the with more sheep than people, the trip felt very zen like. A place I would plan on going back to.
Mnjdnght is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2017, 23:00   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthc View Post
Wonderful travelogue ! Rates 5 stars! If possible can you also share the cost breakdown? Not sure if I have missed it while drooling over the pictures!
Thanks Ananthc !

Cost would depend a lot upon where you fly from, how long do you stay in New Zealand, and optional activities.

For Contiki bus tour, please refer to below link for the cost of their New Zealand tours of various lengths:

https://www.contiki.com/destinations/new-zealand/tours

It would be cheaper (probably around 10-15% or more if you get good deals and book really far ahead) to rent a car and make all the hotel bookings yourself. Please refer to below link to a travel blog that I came across while researching for the trip that gives a good overview of the costs involved.

http://www.bruisedpassports.com/new-...ad-trip-budget

Until I researched for the New Zealand trip, I had no idea that New Zealand had such a plethora of activities, especially Queenstown. Of all the activities we did, the following were must do's for us:
  1. Hobbiton movie set tour
  2. Queenstown Skyline gondola
  3. Milford Sound
  4. Glenorchy Dart River Wilderness Jet
(Franz Josef Glacier helicopter scenic flight was also on our must do's, but we couldn't do it due to bad weather.)

And yet we ended up doing 12 activities. So, do leave enough buffer for activities. Cost of the activities is mentioned in the pdf attached to my post related to hotels and activities.
desidino is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2017, 23:06   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by relichunter View Post
Superb Travelogue. Rated 5 stars. I have been planning NZ trip from last 3 years now. Postponing every year due to some or the other reason. Thanks for all the detailed information. Now I know what I have been missing.
Thanks relichunter !

Although, I had dreamed of traveling to New Zealand, I had never planned for it before. Luckily, the leaves, travel period (our winter, New Zealand summer), and bank balance all came together perfectly to make this trip happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_shelby View Post
What a beautiful country! And an amazing travelogue with wallpaper like pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Looks like if one points a camera anywhere in NZ, there will be something worth clicking.
Thanks mustang_shelby !

You said it right. New Zealand makes even average photographers look good South Island is so sparsely populated given that its 30% larger than North Island and its population is 1/3rd of North Island. It feels like you are traveling through national parks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnjdnght View Post
Brilliant travelogue. Rated 5 *s. It was a nice play back for me of our trip to NZ in 2010 Dec (first half). We pretty much covered the same places but we did a driving trip. Started from Queenstown, rented a car, drove through South Island West coast up to Greymouth, returned the car, train to Christchurch, train to Picton, ferry to Wellington, rented another car, drove through North Island ending in Auckland and ended our trip. The scenery is breath taking and the with more sheep than people, the trip felt very zen like. A place I would plan on going back to.
Thanks Mnjdnght !

Back in 2010 New Zealand must have looked even more pristine !

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 8th February 2017 at 02:06. Reason: Please use the edit button to add content instead of creating successive posts.
desidino is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 16:19   #21
Team-BHP Support

This is absolutely stunning! Have always been thinking about the place. But the way you describe makes it plan for a surety!

This sure looks like a costly affair. But you know what; the costs be damned! I would give away my earnings of a lifetime to have one glimpse of this paradise. Dont want to add adjectives to bring down the splendour of the place.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 20:30   #22
BHPian

Spectacular !! some of them look like paintings. Absolutely Stunning.
Viper21 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2017, 09:25   #23

Thanks desidino for the wondeful travelogue. Photos are superb. I am also planning to visit the country in December. How costly(or cheap) is the food there? Are vegetarian options available.
naphill is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2017, 19:49   #24
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Beautiful place, really a Paradise on earth! Hats off to NZ administration for maintaining the places so nicely, could easily get spoilt when a significant part of the economy depends on tourism.

Amazing pictures and well narrated with a great eye for detail, thanks for sharing

Worth saving up for a few years to visit this lovely place and spend a fortnight or more going around

Last edited by NPV : 7th February 2017 at 19:50.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2017, 20:00   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
This is absolutely stunning! Have always been thinking about the place. But the way you describe makes it plan for a surety!

This sure looks like a costly affair. But you know what; the costs be damned! I would give away my earnings of a lifetime to have one glimpse of this paradise. Dont want to add adjectives to bring down the splendour of the place.
Thanks ampere !

Yup. At some point one has to stop looking at the cost. We were wondering during the trip if we were spending too much money on activities. But, after a while, we stopped thinking about it too much and just enjoyed the moment. After-all, one doesn't get to enjoy paradise every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper21 View Post
Spectacular !! some of them look like paintings. Absolutely Stunning.
Thanks Viper21 !

Yup. No wonder Lord of The Rings and other movies shot in New Zealand utilize a lot of natural scenery in the scenic shots with CGI used mainly to add unnatural elements such as giant eagles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naphill View Post
Thanks desidino for the wondeful travelogue. Photos are superb. I am also planning to visit the country in December. How costly(or cheap) is the food there? Are vegetarian options available.
Thanks naphill !

Please refer to the link to a travel blog I had shared in one of my earlier posts for the various costs. But, don't worry too much. You will be able to find Indian restaurant in many towns/cities including Rotorua, Taupo, Wellington, Queenstown, and even Franz Josef. If not, you can always get salad and vegetable burger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Beautiful place, really a Paradise on earth! Hats off to NZ administration for maintaining the places so nicely, could easily get spoilt when a significant part of the economy depends on tourism.

Amazing pictures and well narrated with a great eye for detail, thanks for sharing

Worth saving up for a few years to visit this lovely place and spend a fortnight or more going around
Thanks NPV !

Couldn't agree more on the terrific work done by NZ administration as well as other developed countries in maintaining their infrastructure, public spaces and natural surroundings. In terms of natural beauty, our Himalayas are second to none. But, due to poor infrastructure and lack of maintenance, getting there, moving around, and spending quality time is so difficult.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 8th February 2017 at 02:08. Reason: Again...please use the edit button and multi-quote instead of replying to each post individually. Thanks.
desidino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2017, 22:13   #26
BHPian

Congratulations desidino!

An amazing travelogue! You have lived my dream!
Your writing is so crisp, pictures superb and the tour song oh-so-catchy!

Your epic journey has transported me back in time, to my childhood day!
Reminds me of Hansel & Gretel and all those wonderful fairy tales!
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017, 17:10   #27
BHPian

Truly an epic travelogue, desidino ! As you have mentioned in your travelogue, one needs to be truly gifted and privileged to see this Heaven named New Zealand. You are a very very lucky couple to have done this trip. Thanks for sharing the details and the glorious pictures!
venkatt1800 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2017, 00:25   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Congratulations desidino!

An amazing travelogue! You have lived my dream!
Your writing is so crisp, pictures superb and the tour song oh-so-catchy!

Your epic journey has transported me back in time, to my childhood day!
Reminds me of Hansel & Gretel and all those wonderful fairy tales!
Thanks cpbopanna ! The tour song is definitely very catchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatt1800 View Post
Truly an epic travelogue, desidino ! As you have mentioned in your travelogue, one needs to be truly gifted and privileged to see this Heaven named New Zealand. You are a very very lucky couple to have done this trip. Thanks for sharing the details and the glorious pictures!
Thanks venkatt1800 ! We do feel incredibly lucky to have made this epic trip.
Old 15th February 2017, 14:01   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for sharing such a beautiful thread. I went to NZ in February, 2016 and it is always so refreshing to see it in pictures. I also thought that this would be the only time I would be going there but this what NZ does to you and you just want to go back there year after year. We even seriously contemplated shifting all together to be honest, such was the beauty of that place.

Did you go to lake Tekapo? For us, that was the highest point of our trip to NZ ( apart from Queenstown ofcourse).
drmohitg is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2017, 19:51   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Thanks for sharing such a beautiful thread. I went to NZ in February, 2016 and it is always so refreshing to see it in pictures. I also thought that this would be the only time I would be going there but this what NZ does to you and you just want to go back there year after year. We even seriously contemplated shifting all together to be honest, such was the beauty of that place.

Did you go to lake Tekapo? For us, that was the highest point of our trip to NZ ( apart from Queenstown ofcourse).
Thanks drmohitg !

Unfortunately, we did not have the time to do the section from Queenstown back to Christchurch through Lake Tekapo. We will definitely cover that section if we ever go to New Zealand again someday.

I would have seriously considered moving to New Zealand too, but for the super strong UV rays.