Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 26th January 2017, 00:16   #1

Default Rented an RE Himalayan from Caferides; rode to Ilaveezha Poonchira

“So, what kind of a biker are you?” asked my distant cousin, who recently completed his engineering and was gifted a RE Classic 350 by his parents. Overnight he morphed into a jacket clad selfie machine who loves to brag about all things Royal Enfield and exotic locations around the country. My only crime is that I own a vintage G2 series bullet, which automatically elevates me to the status of biker cousin! He was eagerly waiting for an answer and I was searching for one! Finally I said I was a weekend biker. Satisfied with the answer he moved on to praise his classic and elaborated about his next destination. But I was still stuck with his question. We all love motorcycles and use it for varied purposes. So what are the different kinds/ types of bikers then? Let me put forward my findings!

TYPE 1: Commuters – The real bikers. Unsung heroes behind the success and smooth functioning of every organization. Usually seen riding along with a spouse, two to four off springs, depending on family planning. Generally found to be following matured riding style.

TYPE2: UFOs- Present in every part of the country. Found atop Honda Deo, KTM Duke, Pulsar 220 and what not! Absolute disregard for traffic rules or safety of fellow road users. Mostly found without any form of safety gears. Tendency to show off in front of girl’s colleges. Can expect impromptu wheelie attempts any moment!

TYPE3: Facebook bikers- Refer, my cousin! Can be seen wearing thick leather jacket on a hot humid day, accompanied by aviators and bandanas. Can come in various shapes and sizes. Loves posting ride pictures in profile with interesting captions like “Moi and MA boyzzzz chillingzz”. Not as harmful as UFOs but still dangerous at times. Once driving back from Marayoor towards Munnar, I almost drove my car off a cliff trying to save an Fb biker. He was posing on his R15, which was parked bang in the middle of the road, right after a blind turn. When asked why he chose the spot, the answer was very simple, was taking a cover picture for his face book profile.

TYPE4: Serious Bikers- Responsible riding, loads and loads of information about routes and biking. Proper gear heads. No showoff or attitude issues. Great guys to be around and always willing to share knowledge.

TYPE5: Biker-Non Biker- My category. These guys love motorcycles. Enjoys riding out in the open highways and Ghats. But unfortunately, unable to pursue their passion due to many possible reasons like; job commitments , parental/spousal restrictions(depending on who scares you more) or worse still, that random astrologer who advices the respective controller of biking, “ Your son/husband should not use two wheeler for the next two years”. A Biker-non biker is born that very moment!

My case is slightly different. I do own a 1963 Royal Enfield G2 Bullet, which has currently gone for restoration. I use it around town for short distance commutes. The problem is that it still runs on 6 volts electrical system. Turning on the head light did drain the battery at a rapid rate; so taking it for long distance rides was not an option for me. For the past two years I have been toying with the idea of buying a new bike for touring but was skeptical about investing in a good machine just to take it out three or four times a month. I was content with my cars and bullet but the desire to go for long bike rides still persisted somewhere inside. I did not want to buy a new bike and always kept wondering why some startup can’t rent bikes like Zoomcars or Myles. It would’ve been a blessing for guys like me.

Fast-forward to January 18th 2017. Today’s Times of India had special news for me. It seems some youngsters did actually take up the idea seriously and started Kerala’s first government approved bike rental service named Caferides. I was super excited reading the small newspaper write-up. But they did not provide any contact number. Got their contact number from Google and called Caferides the next day, 19th. Talked to Sanish, co-founder. We had a long chat and he gave me details about their fleet and rates. But I was more interested in knowing the story of Café rides. How they stumbled upon the idea and the decision to start such a unique startup. Story goes something like this, 3 childhood friends, Alok,Jithu and Sanish dreamt of starting their own venture from a young age. All of them completed engineering and went ahead to work in different industries. Jithu was in software marketing, Alok was a cinematographer and Sanish was working as engineer in Singapore. But the entrepreneurial spirit was still burning inside them. So after 8 years, they started scouting for ideas and Sanish quit his job to pursue his dream fulltime. Alok being a motorcycle enthusiast used to rent bikes from Bangalore. Incidentally they saw an article about luxury motorcycle rental in other states. They were excited about this opportunity and started researching. After 3 months of research, they went ahead and had a meeting with the State Transport commissioner. They pitched the idea of motorcycle tourism in the state and its true potential. He was convinced and gave them the green signal. After 7 months of hard work, Caferides was up and running. Impressive, I must say.

Sanish’s enthusiasm was infectious. I was free the next day, January 20th, decided to get back to riding on “America’s National day of Patriotic Devotion!” Immediately called another biker-non biker friend and asked him if he was interested and he was also excited with the prospect. Asked Sanish if the Harleys were available but he said the paperwork is not yet completed and it will take another week. So booked two Thunderbirds from them. The Himalayan was also available. Excitement already started building up for the next day. Unfortunately my friend had to back out due to work commitments. Immediately called Sanish and apologized for cancelling one bike but he said it was not a problem as they did not take any other bookings as yet.
Decided to go to Ilaveezha poonchira as I have never gone there before and it was relatively close from Kochi, about 72kms. As it’s been a long time, I wanted a short trip. Ilaveezha poonchira was the perfect destination then. Heard great reviews from friends but never got time to go there yet. 20th morning took an Ola cab to Café Rides office. Reached there by 10am and a happy sight welcomed me.
Rented an RE Himalayan from Caferides; rode to Ilaveezha Poonchira-fleet1.jpg

Rented an RE Himalayan from Caferides; rode to Ilaveezha Poonchira-fleet2.jpg

They had an impressive fleet of bikes. All their bikes are equipped with GPS. This means that over speeding will attract infractions. But I was in no mood to speed. All I was craving for was the open highway and relaxed touring. Previous day I had selected Thunderbird 500 as my bike. Some gut feeling made me choose the Himalayan instead and boy, was it a good decision! The paperwork was done in 5 minutes and they also have full riding gear for rent as well. With the key in hand, I was all set to start the ride. Rented the Himalayan for 10 hours, starting 10:30am.

En route, I had to go to bank which ate away one hour of my riding time. Finally set out by 12 noon. I was expecting a hot day but the heat was bearable. Traffic started thinning once I got out of Cochin City. Himalayan was behaving very well during the ride. Power delivery was very linear and the mid range was punchy. This bike was practically brand new as the odometer was showing 665kms when I started the ride.

Rented an RE Himalayan from Caferides; rode to Ilaveezha Poonchira-odometer.jpg

Reached Muvattupuzha in no time. The riding position was perfect. The seat base was wide enough and the foot pegs were also well positioned. The only irritating part is the mild vibrations from the fuel tank. But it is eons more refined than other RE stable mates. From Muvattupuzha headed to towards Thodupuzha, about 22kms away. The roads are very well maintained and the traffic is also light. It was a breeze covering this stretch. On the way found this board!

Rented an RE Himalayan from Caferides; rode to Ilaveezha Poonchira-potty-hotel.jpg

It was lunch time by the time I reached Thodupuzha but I was not hungry as I had a late breakfast. From Thodupuzha asked a friendly auto driver for direction? He loved the Himalayan and called his friends to show the bike. Now there was a group around me. Asked about Ilaveezha Poonchira again and they gave me an alternate route. Said it was perfect for Himalayan and here starts the real ride! They asked me to head towards Muttam and from there the next stop is Melukaavu. From Melukaavu junction there is a right turn towards Kanjiromkavala. Once you reach Kanjiromkavala there is a board indicating left turn towards Ilaveeza Poonchira. But there was no mention about the terrain that was waiting for us, poor me and very capable Himalayan! Met a fellow Himalayan rider who joined me till Kanjiromkavala. He was headed towards Illikakallu, another unique location.

Rented an RE Himalayan from Caferides; rode to Ilaveezha Poonchira-another-himalayan.jpg

Road till Kanjiromkavala was butter smooth. Then started the broken patches and then, the non existent roads! Welcome to Ilaveeza Poonchira climb. Best off road trail for amateurs in the state. Initially the trail was loose gravel and pebbles, and then it morphed into rubble track. The big rubbles laid out before road surfacing. I could see the long travel shocks working its magic and hence started my peg standing ride.

Rented an RE Himalayan from Caferides; rode to Ilaveezha Poonchira-climb-starts.jpg

Rented an RE Himalayan from Caferides; rode to Ilaveezha Poonchira-mudtrail3.jpg

Rented an RE Himalayan from Caferides; rode to Ilaveezha Poonchira-dirt-road.jpg

The climb is perfect for a Motocross leg, lots of dips and jumps, small hairpins and narrow path. There was no oncoming traffic during the climb so I was climbing at a relaxed pace happily clicking photos of the mighty Himalayan who did impress me in its home turf.

Rented an RE Himalayan from Caferides; rode to Ilaveezha Poonchira-mud-trail1.jpg

Rented an RE Himalayan from Caferides; rode to Ilaveezha Poonchira-mud-trail2.jpg

Rented an RE Himalayan from Caferides; rode to Ilaveezha Poonchira-mudtrail4.jpg

After the shock absorber challenging leg which spanned almost 4kms, reached a check dam that was decorated with simple polythene bags. It was looking really nice. Indigenous low cost beautification at its best. The road construction was going on near the check dam and the surface was loose sand. Himalayan chugged on without any problem.

Rented an RE Himalayan from Caferides; rode to Ilaveezha Poonchira-checkdam1.jpg

After the road construction section, reached the summit after about 3kms. The view was good. Check it out yourself.

Rented an RE Himalayan from Caferides; rode to Ilaveezha Poonchira-summit5.jpg

Rented an RE Himalayan from Caferides; rode to Ilaveezha Poonchira-summit4.jpg

Met some NRIs from Australia at the summit. Those guys loved the Himalayan so much that they wanted pictures with the bike. Rested for some time and headed towards the view point. Which was tougher, considering the steep climb. The path was narrow and the climb was steep. But it was F-U-N !

Rented an RE Himalayan from Caferides; rode to Ilaveezha Poonchira-photoop1.jpg

Enjoyed the view and relaxed at the view point for some time. The area is prone to lightning strikes so lots of lightning arrestors are installed at the view point. There is also a police barricade restricting entry after a point but there was nobody in the near vicinity. Rested at view point for sometime and then started the descent towards Kanjaar. Riding down was even trickier than expected. Applying half pressure on the rear brake made the rear tire slide out due to low traction so it was front brake and engine braking which saved me from many a falls.

Rented an RE Himalayan from Caferides; rode to Ilaveezha Poonchira-policeline.jpg
Police line starts here

Rented an RE Himalayan from Caferides; rode to Ilaveezha Poonchira-lightning-arrestors.jpg
Lightning Arrester

Rented an RE Himalayan from Caferides; rode to Ilaveezha Poonchira-viewpoint2.jpg

Rented an RE Himalayan from Caferides; rode to Ilaveezha Poonchira-viewpoint5.jpg

Rented an RE Himalayan from Caferides; rode to Ilaveezha Poonchira-viewpoint3.jpg

Rented an RE Himalayan from Caferides; rode to Ilaveezha Poonchira-desent1.jpg

Rented an RE Himalayan from Caferides; rode to Ilaveezha Poonchira-desent2.jpg

Rented an RE Himalayan from Caferides; rode to Ilaveezha Poonchira-desent3.jpg

The biggest headache of Himalayan is finding Neutral gear. Its easier to get a date with lulia Vantur than finding neutral in this bike. Every time I had to stop had to kill the engine in gear. Is it ok to use the engine kill switch while the engine is halting but in 1st gear? Someone please clarify.

Rented an RE Himalayan from Caferides; rode to Ilaveezha Poonchira-kanjar1.jpg

Rented an RE Himalayan from Caferides; rode to Ilaveezha Poonchira-kanjar2.jpg

Road towards Kanjaar was equally worse. Most of the distance was covered by standing on the foot pegs. Himalayan is a mighty capable bike. Not once did the underbelly scrape nor did I loose balance.

Rented an RE Himalayan from Caferides; rode to Ilaveezha Poonchira-kanjar3.jpg

Rented an RE Himalayan from Caferides; rode to Ilaveezha Poonchira-kanjar4.jpg

I am just an amateur rider at best. The machine ensured my safety. My body was tiring due to constant off-roading and I was badly craving for a good well laid out tarmac so that at least I could sit on the seat! And finally..

Rented an RE Himalayan from Caferides; rode to Ilaveezha Poonchira-tarmac1.jpg

Never been a happier man! The same feeling you get when the love of your life tells you for the first time, “ I love you too!” Road from Kanjaar to Thodupuzha was super fast, just beware of Lewis Hamilton. When he is not racing, he will be driving KSRTC bus in this route.

It was almost 4:30pm when I reached Thodupuzha. Hunger started kicking in but I kept riding. After a nice road trip, you need great food to complete the experience. Crossed Muvattupuzha and headed towards Cochin. Next stop, Peruvanmuzhi Toddy shop. Their culinary reputation is legendary. With a hungry stomach and happy soul, ordered steaming hot Tapioca and a controversial meat dish to go along with it.(Four letter, starts with B ends with F!).

Rented an RE Himalayan from Caferides; rode to Ilaveezha Poonchira-food1.jpg

Rented an RE Himalayan from Caferides; rode to Ilaveezha Poonchira-tatpiyoca.jpg

The food was awesome. Complimented the chef and head back home. Himalayan was also happy after filling up the tank from Muvattupuzha. Both of us headed back happily towards home, to the place we belong! Reached back home by 7pm and then went to Café rides to drop the bike. The rent was very reasonable and the exact distance was computed with GPS. Thanked Team Café Rides and went back home, as very happy, Biker-non-biker!

Disclaimer : I have no business association with Café Rides. As this is a novel concept in Kerala, felt fellow teambhp’ians should know about this new service. Happy riding!

All photos taken using my Moto X-Play
Astraholic is offline   (70) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2017, 12:57   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Rented an RE Himalayan from Caferides; rode to Ilaveezha Poonchira

Fantastic post & travelogue, man! Thanks for sharing. This will be going to the homepage .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraholic View Post
TYPE5: Biker-Non Biker- My category. These guys love motorcycles. Enjoys riding out in the open highways and Ghats. But unfortunately, unable to pursue their passion due to many possible reasons
This is me. Love riding motorcycles, but don't own one (no plans in the near future either). To Type 5 folk like us, this new breed of motorcycle rental companies are a blessing. Heard of a similar new organisation in Bombay (Rebel Rides) and going to be trying them out soon.

You really have a way with writing. Thoroughly enjoyed your post.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2017, 13:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Couldn't have agreed more on this on. AWESOME travelogue and got the biker - non biker in me excited for a while. I have been wanting to purchase a TB350 for a while now, but have been lacking the last step push to go get one. There are couple of them rental companies in Bangalore as well and I may just give one of them a call just for the experience of rising a bike. The last time I rode one was in 2008
dass is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2017, 15:50   #4

Dude!!!!

You are a great narrator. The metaphors/similes, whatever you use are spot on most of the times. You must write often.

Happy miles ahead.
Roadilicious is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2017, 16:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Another type 5 biker here

You know how to keep people glued to the page - awesome travelogue, nice pics and good terrain.

Been there once years back and happy to see that the trails are still good for off roading.

If it is OK, can you please share the tariff details also?

PS: Would love to read a thread about the restoration of the G2.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2017, 16:30   #6
BHPian

Amazing post! Had a smile all the way while reading.

An awesome travelogue as well. A 72 km ride is short, but after reading the travelogue, I feel it's more than enough! Good choice with the Himalayan. I'd have gone for it too if there was a choice between the Thunderbird and the Himalayan. Just because I haven't had a chance to ride it.

Quote:
The biggest headache of Himalayan is finding Neutral gear. Its easier to get a date with lulia Vantur than finding neutral in this bike. Every time I had to stop had to kill the engine in gear. Is it ok to use the engine kill switch while the engine is halting but in 1st gear?
As far as I know, you don't necessarily have to shift to neutral to kill the engine. You can kill the engine when you are in the first gear. It also prevents rolling.

About dating Lulia Vantur, better watch out for Salman Bhai.

Coming to the rental service, they seem to be pretty well settled and have a good backstory as well. Reminded me of the TVF Pitchers. Also, they have pretty good bikes in the line-up. A street 750 and what looks like a forty eight (correct me if I'm wrong). I guess as they grow, they might start introducing the Triumphs as welll. Also, surprised to not see the Royal Enfield Cafe racer (Continental GT) at Cafe rides.

Quote:
Road from Kanjaar to Thodupuzha was super fast, just beware of Lewis Hamilton. When he is not racing, he will be driving KSRTC bus in this route.
I guess the country is filled with F1 bus drivers.

Quote:
“So, what kind of a biker are you?”
Seems like a question from a biker psychologist.

Though, among the choices that you have given, I can't decide on one. A little bit of type 1, type 4 and type 5. I commute on my bike during the weekdays, and I have a sedate riding style (you kind of have to in Mumbai). Sometimes on holidays just pick my bike up and ride off. Love open highways and Ghats, but can't always pick up and ride due to various commitments. But I usually try to. So, that's pretty confusing.

This question also reminded me of Jorge Lorenzo's video before the Valencia 2015 GP. :

So, no matter what kind of riders we are, under the helmet, we are one.

Keep riding, Keep writing.
Omkar is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2017, 18:17   #7
BHPian

Nice write-up.

Man, when ever I see the word "Kerala style" on a restaurant board in Tamilnadu, first thing i ask them is "Cheta, beef undo?"

Lovely people, lovely dish
PrasannaDhana is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2017, 22:38   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...Decided to go to Ilaveezha poonchira as I have never gone there before and it was relatively close from Kochi, about 72kms...
Beautiful write up. I'll book mark the place to visit though I have read about it.

Happy to see such start ups sprouting in Kerala. I can only hope we have more breeds getting into such ventures. If you don't mind, could you put up the charges for our benefit?

Quote:
...He was headed towards Illikkal kallu, another unique location...
Been here and loved it! I went there around 7 PM. The last some kilometers are steep incline with some hairpin bends but well tarred. When we were climbing, all were coming down and had a question on their faces as to "what are these morons doing here at this time. I found out the reason soon enough - it gets PITCH DARK with not a single soul around. And you get dense fog too (in September). The heavy winds give a feel that it can carry you for distances - the moments I spent were surreal - so please please do visit the place.

Sad part is, it's already very crowded with zero sense for cleanliness. People just litter the place.

EDIT : Illickal Kallu -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illickal_Kallu

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 27th January 2017 at 22:41. Reason: Adding Wiki link.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 21:06   #9
BHPian

Wonderful travelogue, Sir! Absolutely loved the lucid, easy-going and humorous writing style! Some of the pictures have come out really nice as well. We have a Moto X Play in the family and the phone does shine in taking landscapes under brightly lit conditions! Also, it's great to see the Himalayan doing what it was made to do.

I am going to share this with my Dad. He is a person who got into biking in order to commute and eventually developed a passion for it. These days, the commuting has decreased quite a lot and leisure rides have been happening more oft.

Regards,
Neel

P.S.: Do share pictures of your Bullet!
petrolhead_neel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 23:14   #10
BHPian

Wonderful travelogue Astraholic. Loved your style of putting words to thoughts. Splendidly written and great details.

Ride safe and write more.
dhanushmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 10:17   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Type 4 here

Beautifully written, the narrative was awesome. Beautiful pictures too! I've not explored God's Own Country on my bike, but I plan to when I ride down in the coming months and I certainly will visit this place you've been to. I just have to!
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 23:10   #12

TYPE4: Serious Bikers- Responsible riding, loads and loads of information about routes and biking. Proper gear heads. No showoff or attitude issues. Great guys to be around and always willing to share knowledge.

Though I'm just 21, I'm very serious about safety. I save up whenever i can just to buy safety gear. So I'm kind of like a type 4 guy. Anyways, awesome write up brother. It was a treat to read through the whole thing. Being a fellow malayalee, it's good to see biking develop in our parts.
Arun.
ArunRS2305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2017, 00:31   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This is me. Love riding motorcycles, but don't own one (no plans in the near future either). To Type 5 folk like us, this new breed of motorcycle rental companies are a blessing.

Thank you so much sir, for your warm compliments. As you rightly said, for Type 5 bikers like us, these rentals are indeed a blessing. The advantages are many, zero ownership cost, opportunity to try different models including high end bikes without burning a hole in the pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
I have been wanting to purchase a TB350 for a while now, but have been lacking the last step push to go get one. There are couple of them rental companies in Bangalore as well and I may just give one of them a call just for the experience of rising a bike. The last time I rode one was in 2008
Thanks man! Word of advice, you should try the rental route first before making a purchase. Wont cost you much, but will greatly help in the decision making process. Its almost like getting a permanent tattoo. Give the idea at least six months and at the end of the timeframe if you still want it, go for it !! Happy riding ahead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadilicious View Post
Dude!!!!

You are a great narrator. The metaphors/similes, whatever you use are spot on most of the times. You must write often.

Happy miles ahead.
Thank you so very much buddy! Will definitely take your advice. Just like bornvita or boost, I grew up to a steady dose of monthly automotive nourishment in the form of BSM Motoring magazine. Bijoy Kumar and Srinivas Krishnan's write-ups those days were super awesome to read. I humbly bow in front of my heroes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Another type 5 biker here

If it is OK, can you please share the tariff details also?

PS: Would love to read a thread about the restoration of the G2.

--Anoop
Glad to know you are part of the type 5 biker club! G2 restoration is ongoing and will post once she thunders back to life! About the tariff, its listed in their website, www.caferides.com. The Himalayan's rent was 89Rs per hour. The minimum rental period is 10 hours. This includes 100kms at the rate of 10kms per hour. Additional kilometres will be charged at 10Rs per km. I covered 150kms that day, so it cost me 890+500. Fuel expense was 500 Rs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
Amazing post! Had a smile all the way while reading.

As far as I know, you don't necessarily have to shift to neutral to kill the engine. You can kill the engine when you are in the first gear. It also prevents rolling.

About dating Lulia Vantur, better watch out for Salman Bhai.

A street 750 and what looks like a forty eight (correct me if I'm wrong). I guess as they grow, they might start introducing the Triumphs as welll. Also, surprised to not see the Royal Enfield Cafe racer (Continental GT) at Cafe rides.

So, no matter what kind of riders we are, under the helmet, we are one.

Keep riding, Keep writing.
Thank you so much for clearing my doubt about the engine kill conundrum. I was feeling guilty for doing it but now I got my peace of mind back. It was practically a brand new bike and I did not want to damage it.
Ha ha!! Sallu Bhai, I don't want to die of "natural" causes!

They indeed have an impressive fleet. The Harley is an Iron 883, not 48. Alok told me a Triumph Street Twin might soon join the fleet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Nice write-up.

Man, when ever I see the word "Kerala style" on a restaurant board in Tamilnadu, first thing i ask them is "Cheta, beef undo?"

Lovely people, lovely dish
Ha ha!! We mallus are beef experts man!! Do try beef Varutharachathu, the next time you go to a mallu restaurant. Its totally worth it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Been here and loved it! I went there around 7 PM. The last some kilometers are steep incline with some hairpin bends but well tarred. When we were climbing, all were coming down and had a question on their faces as to "what are these morons doing here at this time. I found out the reason soon enough - it gets PITCH DARK with not a single soul around. And you get dense fog too (in September). The heavy winds give a feel that it can carry you for distances - the moments I spent were surreal - so please please do visit the place.
Will definitely visit Illikal Kallu next time. It's actually very close to Ilaveezha Poonchira it seems. At Illikal kallu, earlier you could walk till the end of the cliff but some months ago 3 boys fell and died. So I think it is barricaded now. You should check the POV video somebody posted in YouTube of this path. Its very scary. Do check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
I am going to share this with my Dad. He is a person who got into biking in order to commute and eventually developed a passion for it. These days, the commuting has decreased quite a lot and leisure rides have been happening more oft.

Regards,
Neel

P.S.: Do share pictures of your Bullet!
Thank you so much Neel. Will post a detailed restoration tread of bullet. So happy to know your dad is enjoying his leisure rides a lot. Do convey my regards and best wishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Wonderful travelogue Astraholic. Loved your style of putting words to thoughts. Splendidly written and great details.

Ride safe and write more.
Thank you so much sir. I admire your detailed travelogues. You got a fan here!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Type 4 here

Beautifully written, the narrative was awesome. Beautiful pictures too! I've not explored God's Own Country on my bike, but I plan to when I ride down in the coming months and I certainly will visit this place you've been to. I just have to!
Do explore Ilaveezha poonchira before monsoon. Its totally worth the trip. I hope you have a great ride ahead. Godspeed!!
Astraholic is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2017, 01:46   #14
BHPian

Quote:
just beware of Lewis Hamilton. When he is not racing, he will be driving KSRTC bus in this route.

What a lovely travelogue, I love it when people just set out for an adventure leaving things behind. The Himalayan is proving to be a capable workhorse. I have yet to meet another person that is not happy with his Himalayan. How was the heating during non highway rides?
createrkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2017, 11:12   #15
BHPian

Quote:

Thank you so much sir. I admire your detailed travelogues. You got a fan here!!
Thank you. That's a great compliment in itself. Thank you very much. You undoubtedly have a great flair for writing.
See for yourself, 21 posts and 129 thumbs ups. Speaks for itself right?
dhanushmenon is offline   Reply With Quote