Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 3rd February 2017, 21:32   #16
BHPian

Default re: The Captivating Old Silk Route from Ranchi to Sikkim - On Two Wheels!

Absolutely wonderful travelouge! Loved it and makes me want to go there to experience the things you both went through. Thanks for sharing your experience guys.
Snehal Sekhar is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2017, 22:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

Talking re: The Captivating Old Silk Route from Ranchi to Sikkim - On Two Wheels!

Mind blowing travelogue Saket bhaiya !! Your way of penning down every single detail ensures that the reader also becomes a part of the journey, and isn't merely a spectator. Rated it a well deserved 5*.

Honestly speaking, it is really commendable on your part to even think about such a feat on your Stunner, which is basically labelled as a commuter with city oriented gearing. Hats off!!
When I had rejected your offer of riding together to Sikkim, I was still in two minds if I had done a correct thing by losing this opportunity. But after looking at the pictures, I am convinced I did the right thing. I am simply not "the bike guy".

Your trip has given me some serious goals this year, which shall be accomplished, albeit on 4 wheels.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 3rd February 2017 at 22:56.
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2017, 09:18   #18
BHPian

Fantabulous travelogue with unbelievable pictures!

I just opened this thread after going to bed and I'm about to sleep. Your narration didn't allowed me to sleep till completing the entire travelogue in one shot. Hats off to the guts for taking a commuter bike to such roads and altitude. You both proved that you are really tough guys. :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing and inspiring me to take such brave steps in life. I'm feeling ashamed of myself with what I'm doing sitting safely in home. :banghead: Best of luck for your next brave step if anything planned already.

Last edited by EPMV : 4th February 2017 at 09:20.
EPMV is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2017, 09:42   #19

Default re: The Captivating Old Silk Route from Ranchi to Sikkim - On Two Wheels!

Hi Saket.

Nice travelogue. We did a Sikkim tour back in April last year and I agree with you completed, Sikkim is a paradise.

I see you took the Bagodar Chakai Jamua Banka route to bhagalpur. How is that route? We took the Dumri Giridih Deoghar Amarpur route which was mostly good, with the road between Dumri and Deoghar being a particular highlight. We are riding to Bhutan this March so I'll like to explore the Jamua Chakai route too.

We did the same thing you did. We went to Rongli first too, only to be told there that bikes are not issued permits for Zuluk and nathula from Rongli. We had to ride to Gangtok. We wanted permits for Gurudogmar Lake and Yumthang Valley too. Unlike you, however, that lady told us to come back the next day for permits. Even then, we only got the permits after 3 pm the following day and couldn't start that day either so our trip got delayed 2 days in gangtok itself.

Then there was a massive landslide in Mangan which blocked routes for a further 2 days. By the time we returned from Gurudogmar and Yumthang, our trip was already 5 days behind schedule and we still had a 2 day ride back to Ranchi left.

So we ended up not going to Nathula and zuluk which still pinches me to this day. However, your write up motivates me to finish that soon too.
Vivek VS is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2017, 11:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

Very well written and covers all the important details of the trip...!!!

Boy Nathu La has changed. I had ridden there a decade or so ago and there was barely anything except a few observation towers, a simple canteen and sentry posts. It has become a full fledged tourist spot now, and that is good.

The roads have also improved a lot. Boulders have given way to sandy stretches which make it easy for vehicles to reach the top (Look at those DL registered Innovas walking up the road).

You brought back fond memories...!!
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2017, 13:43   #21
BHPian

It's a wonderful travelogue, Saket. I enjoyed every bit of your vivid writing. Riding in the winter itself is no easy task and you guys have been riding in some of the highest Himalayan passes in the peak of winter.
gmhossain is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2017, 19:24   #22
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: The Captivating Old Silk Route from Ranchi to Sikkim - On Two Wheels!

Brilliant travelogue Saket sir and thanks to Swapnil for his account of tales.

Doing such tough terrains on motorcycles is a big feat. Sikkim has serious number of technical gradients that terrify a biker, which even some of the higher altitude cold-desert roads in Ladakh or Spiti don't. Glad that you both made it safely despite the numbing cold and the harsh temperatures. Also, a big thumbs-up to both the motorcycles to have braved such altitudes.

Many may flame me for saying this, but guys this is strictly my personal opinion. Having done plenty of roadtrips on two-wheels and four-wheels, it is always my journey on two-wheels that have been the most memorable ones ever - specially the ones to the mighty Himalayas. I am sure you both will share the same thoughts too. Thanks for inspiring us.

Rating this travelogue 5-stars !
//M is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2017, 00:52   #23
BHPian

Default Re: The Captivating Old Silk Route from Ranchi to Sikkim - On Two Wheels!

Great trip Saket. I will add this to my "To-Do" list as well :-)
cooldudesunny is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2017, 01:12   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
Wonderful TL. Well written. Rated 5 Star.
Thanks a lot for going through the log, considering it was a long write up! I am glad that you liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Very beautifully written Saket77. Doing the Silk route on bikes from Ranchi is definitely a great feat.
Thanks Pawan! Swapnil did tell me during the trip about his 'live' reporting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvenant View Post
Amazing travelogue.
Thank you for such nice words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Awesome TL guys, I think more than anything else. these trips bust the myth that you need extravagant 'tourer' bikes with extravagant price tags to roam our incredible country. If you have the spirit, modern 150 cc machines will soldier on tirelessly.
Exactly the point I tried to make in the travelogue. In the beginning, we ourselves were little skeptical if our small machines would be able to take on those terrains. But the machines washed away all the doubts one by one as the journey progressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post
Absolutely wonderful travelogue! Loved it and makes me want to go there to experience the things you both went through.
Well, you see; that is the way this virus spreads!
Thanks for the appreciation. Hope you too plan the trip soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Mind blowing travelogue Saket bhaiya !! Your way of penning down every single detail ensures that the reader also becomes a part of the journey, and isn't merely a spectator. Rated it a well deserved 5*.
Thank you Shashi! Your presence would have made the journey even more rocking. And 4 wheels?? Just tell me when...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPMV View Post
Fantabulous travelogue with unbelievable pictures!

I just opened this thread after going to bed and I'm about to sleep. Your narration didn't allowed me to sleep till completing the entire travelogue in one shot. Hats off to the guts for taking a commuter bike to such roads and altitude. You both proved that you are really tough guys.
Thanks a lot for your nice words for us and I really hope that the read was worth the sleep you missed. Thanks for going through it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek VS View Post
I see you took the Bagodar Chakai Jamua Banka route to bhagalpur. How is that route? We took the Dumri Giridih Deoghar Amarpur route which was mostly good, with the road between Dumri and Deoghar being a particular highlight. We are riding to Bhutan this March so I'll like to explore the Jamua Chakai route too.
Hi Vivek! Great to know about your trip too. We returned through the route which you took, so I can say that we experienced both routes. While on our return, we found the Giridih route to be fairly good, but some stretches were under construction.
The other route through Chakai-Jamua; it was good enough. We took a shortcut through Katoria Village - okay for bikes but not recommended for cars. If you don't take the route through Katoria, the route was quite okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
The roads have also improved a lot. Boulders have given way to sandy stretches which make it easy for vehicles to reach the top.
You brought back fond memories...!!
Nice to know that we could trickle your fond memories. The roads to Nathula are good, except for a few patches which routinely get affected by landslides in the region. Honestly, it is a strategic and critical road from the defense point of view and hence it needs to be open & up at all times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
It's a wonderful travelogue, Saket. I enjoyed every bit of your vivid writing. Riding in the winter itself is no easy task and you guys have been riding in some of the highest Himalayan passes in the peak of winter.
Thank you. Yes, the cold did bother us, esp at some particular places. We stayed for the night at Zuluk and the villagers were like "snowfall can happen any time!". But we missed it. We got a report a few days later that it has started snowing heavily in Zuluk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Doing such tough terrains on motorcycles is a big feat. Sikkim has serious number of technical gradients that terrify a biker, which even some of the higher altitude cold-desert roads in Ladakh or Spiti don't. Glad that you both made it safely despite the numbing cold and the harsh temperatures. Also, a big thumbs-up to both the motorcycles to have braved such altitudes.
Take a bow Sir! In fact, the readers must know that it was your trip to North Sikkim 2 years ago which actually kindled by desire to visit Sikkim; that too on a motorcycle. I am really really glad that you shared the travelogue with us which actually served as a catalyst. A big chunk of credit of this trip goes undoubtedly to you Arunabh. And thank you so much for coming over a day before our trip to help us plan everything. For the avid traveler you are, your advice is always taken on face value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldudesunny View Post
Great trip Saket. I will add this to my "To-Do" list as well :-)
Thanks Sunny! You will definitely enjoy the trip.

Thanks!

Last edited by saket77 : 5th February 2017 at 01:20.
saket77 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2017, 19:09   #25
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post

Take a bow Sir! In fact, the readers must know that it was your trip to North Sikkim 2 years ago which actually kindled by desire to visit Sikkim; that too on a motorcycle. I am really really glad that you shared the travelogue with us which actually served as a catalyst. A big chunk of credit of this trip goes undoubtedly to you Arunabh. And thank you so much for coming over a day before our trip to help us plan everything. For the avid traveler you are, your advice is always taken on face value.

Those are very kind words Saket sir, I am deeply overwhelmed. I am glad you postponed your trip by a day and I could catch up with you both during my short stint to Ranchi. It had been a couple of years since I met Swapnil so it was good to meet him as well.

I wish I could have joined you both for this lovely trip to East Sikkim, somehow the circumstances never allowed me to join you both on a roadtrip. But I hope it happens soon !
//M is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 11:26   #26
BHPian

Wonderful travelogue guys and hats off to your spirit.

What is more mesmerizing is the fact that a 125cc and a 150cc bike make a round trip of 1800+ kms without having to stop/check anything. Its a testament for what Man and Machine can achieve together.

I wish I get to pen down such an experience soon. Thanks for sharing guys and ya
ramgkulkarni is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 13:33   #27
BHPian

Fascinating travelogue Saket!
Loved the photos and narration. I remember, it was quite a while ago that you had discussed about traveling along the old Silk Route.
Great that you did it!

Rated your thread a well deserved 5 star.

Cheers,
Sayak
sayakc is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 13:34   #28
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful travelogue Saket and your introductory post ensured that I read it all in one go . Envy all you folks who have relatively easier access to Sikkim, NE and the Himalayas. I have always favored 4 wheels over 2 wheels but travelogues like yours make me want to rent a bike and head to the hills.

Keep riding and sharing your adventures!
procrj is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 15:00   #29
BHPian

Very well written travelogue with brilliant set of photos. Thanks Saket and Swapnil for sharing this wonderful log.

If I am not wrong, Nathula pass route is the shorter route to Kailsh Mansarovar Yatra along with border trade. Any info on this?
Nempuguru is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 18:09   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramgkulkarni View Post
What is more mesmerizing is the fact that a 125cc and a 150cc bike make a round trip of 1800+ kms without having to stop/check anything. Its a testament for what Man and Machine can achieve together.
Absolutely. And I feel lucky to be in company of like minded people due to TBHP who share similar emotions. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post
Fascinating travelogue Saket!
Loved the photos and narration. I remember, it was quite a while ago that you had discussed about traveling along the old Silk Route.
Great that you did it!
Thank you so much Sayak. Not only for reading the log but also for the information that we exchanged on messages and over the phone. Yes, it was some time back and so you know it was long due!
Your travelogue & advice helped a lot in planning the trip. Many thanks for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Beautiful travelogue Saket and your introductory post ensured that I read it all in one go . Envy all you folks who have relatively easier access to Sikkim, NE and the Himalayas. I have always favored 4 wheels over 2 wheels but travelogues like yours make me want to rent a bike and head to the hills.
Thank you for going through the log. I hope it was worth your time and you enjoyed it. You can always fly or take a train to Bagdogra/ NJP and rent a bike for your Himalayan adventure. I am sure you will love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nempuguru View Post
Very well written travelogue with brilliant set of photos. Thanks Saket and Swapnil for sharing this wonderful log.

If I am not wrong, Nathula pass route is the shorter route to Kailsh Mansarovar Yatra along with border trade. Any info on this?
Thank you very much.

What I know about this is that the Nathula route saves 2 days compared to the route through Uttarakhand. Also, unlike the UK route, there is no need of trekking in the entire route, making it easier for the elderly. The route was opened in June 2015 and if you are interested, I saw an advertisement inviting interests for Mansarovar Yatra- 2017 in yesterday's newspaper.

Thanks.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote