Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 5th April 2017, 13:07   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Photologue: Bird watching at Palakkad

Excellent photos!

Do you have the google maps location around where these birds were seen? Or, the name of the village/place in Palakkad. Thanks!
PearlJam is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2017, 15:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

That is one heck of a camera you have combined with excellent photography skills. In these situations, timing is also important. You've got it all. Outstanding. The color rendering is amazing.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2017, 16:17   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Thanks.
I used my Nikon D810 and Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 for birds and my Tamron 15-30 f/2.8 for the first two images. All shot handheld.
Awestruck!

(I have to write a bit more otherwise thbp rules will not allow it!, sometimes better just say just one word and leave it!)

Nice photos with some seriously good gear! What do you will expect from D810 and that awesome lens then? Lens itself costs 1200 or USD, if I am right!

Now I have a different imagination about Palakkad!
sgmuser is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2017, 16:21   #19
BHPian

Awesome photographs. I wish people will indulge more in this kind of shooting than the other one.
Thanks for sharing
Cool_leo_guy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2017, 17:42   #20
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
and which PP software?
Sorry earthian, I missed this part of you post. I shoot RAW and get them processed using Adobe Lightroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodvayyat View Post
Excellent photographs amazed to see that you were able to get variety of birds in Palakkad. I hail from Palakkad.
Nice to see lots of Palakkadans around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Amazing pictures M35! Great timing for those Bird in flight shots. Leafbird shot is my favorite. Whats the ISO setting for the evening shots?
Usually from ISO 400 and above up to around ISO 2500. For static subjects, I go very low shutter speeds as low as 1/50 s as in case of the Kingfisher with the crab shot. It was shot with my Nikon TC 14E III attached = 700mm at 1/50 s handheld. If you get the exposure right, you can easily manage high ISO shots, I do some selective NR though at PP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snan View Post
Fantastic shots of the brahminy kites in action. It shows the plentiful patience and skill necessary to create such an image. I love palakkad during monsoons - unfortunately, given the deforestation, damage to paddy fields and fresh water sources, it has now become an oven for most part of the year. One can now sight warthogs, peacocks, hare, some say even fox and elephants in urban spaces / villages in search of water. Hope this year its a good monsoon year !
You are correct @snan. Peakcocks are in plenty around especially in the early mornings and late evenings. They are out searching for food from the nearby jungle. I don't go behind them usually as I can't see them flying away when disturbed. They don't seem to be comfortable in flight.
Photologue: Bird watching at Palakkad-_dsc47884edit2.jpg
The only time I tried capturing them while in action was when I was driving on the Thangam Hospital by-pass. I was in my Scorp and could manage to get some special moments captured. Not many would associate such images with Peacocks, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
Excellent photos!
Do you have the google maps location around where these birds were seen? Or, the name of the village/place in Palakkad. Thanks!
Around Keralassery, Mankara, Kalloor, Pudur, etc, again nothing special. These are all there. One needs to take a break from our busy life, stop and start enjoying the Nature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
Nice photos with some seriously good gear! What do you will expect from D810 and that awesome lens then? Lens itself costs 1200 or USD, if I am right!
Now I have a different imagination about Palakkad!
Yup. It's an expensive hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool_leo_guy View Post
Awesome photographs. I wish people will indulge more in this kind of shooting than the other one.
Well said.

Last edited by M35 : 5th April 2017 at 17:45.
M35 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2017, 19:22   #21
BHPian

Amazing photographs.

Sorry to hear this was probably your last fun trip on your scorpio.Trust that though it was totaled there were no major injuries.

Looking forward to more such lovely photologue's with the "new family member" soon.
vijayols is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2017, 21:21   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post

Nice to see lots of Palakkadans around.
You just need to look

Amazing snaps. The bird diversity in Palakkad, I understand, is one of the best in Kerala. Got to experience this first hand when I went for a bird survey as part of Kerala Bird atlas last month

Sorry to hear about your Scorpio - but happy to know that no one was hurt

Looking forward for more adventures with the Endy
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 18:26   #23

Excellent photographs. More than the gear, I guess, your skill and patience are what produced those wonderful images.

Sorry to hear the loss of your vehicle. Looked fabulous with that exotic registration number (assuming it is not a photoshop work). Happy to note that all are safe.

Your photographs were quite nostalgic too for me. It reminded me of the walks to my school through paddy fields. I am also from Palakkad, from one of the villages you mentioned there. Since it may be prohibited to identify as per the rules of the forum, I am refraining to do so. I had some interest in birdwatching when I was living in Palakkad.
n_ramesh99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 21:40   #24
BHPian

Those are pretty amazing shots. Every shot was perfect. The Brahmani for me stole the show.
You mentioned you had to part away with your beloved Scorpio. May it rest in peace and may you find a ride that you could love whole heartedly. All the best and will wait for some lovely shots from you.

Last edited by ARAY : 6th April 2017 at 21:41.
ARAY is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2017, 11:28   #25
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayols View Post
Amazing photographs.
Sorry to hear this was probably your last fun trip on your scorpio.Trust that though it was totaled there were no major injuries.
Thank you Vijay. Except for a cut right above my right ankle, which required some 24 odd stitches, absolutely no injuries to all three of us. The accident turned out to be a shocker of life time though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post

The bird diversity in Palakkad, I understand, is one of the best in Kerala. Got to experience this first hand when I went for a bird survey as part of Kerala Bird atlas last month
Sorry to hear about your Scorpio - but happy to know that no one was hurt
Looking forward for more adventures with the Endy
Thank you Sir.
Exactly. I always came back with a couple of keepers at least, after every birding session in Palakkad, not the case with Munnar trails though. Black-naped Monarchs and Paradise fly catchers aren’t any difficult to spot around my home in Palakkad, though couldn’t get hold of any satisfactory images of them though.

With a proper 4x4 set up, I hope I can explore more hidden treasures around. Thanks again for those lovely words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_ramesh99 View Post
Your photographs were quite nostalgic too for me. It reminded me of the walks to my school through paddy fields. I am also from Palakkad, from one of the villages you mentioned there. Since it may be prohibited to identify as per the rules of the forum, I am refraining to do so. I had some interest in birdwatching when I was living in Palakkad.
Thank you Ramesh.
I can very well relate and glad that I could take you back to those lovely school days through my posts.
BTW, that was a PP job but the reg.number on my new possession is definitely exotic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARAY View Post
Those are pretty amazing shots. Every shot was perfect. The Brahmani for me stole the show.
You mentioned you had to part away with your beloved Scorpio. May it rest in peace and may you find a ride that you could love whole heartedly. All the best and will wait for some lovely shots from you.
Thank you ARAY for those lovely comforting words. Appreciated.
M35 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2017, 12:43   #26
BHPian

Exceptional images there M35, especially of Birds in Flight and action. Loved the Brahminy kite. And for those asking for gear, as it is said, Its not about the car/gear, its about the driver!

What happened to scorp? Hope you all are in good shape. Keep Clicking and Keep Riding.
stormerider is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2017, 14:44   #27

No words for the Photographs. Those are really amazing!!!
But the first few lines of the blog about "Missing Scorp" is what keeps running in my head.

I completely understand the emotional bond that happens with your vehicle especially when it comes to a life threatening situation and the vehicle has sacrificed itself to save ours.

I have gone through the similar stuff with my Switft, which is again a black one just like your Scorp.
But he is still with me and we call him the "Bumble Bee" since then
RomeoAlpha22 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote