Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2017, 12:13   #31
Distinguished - BHPian
 
BlackPearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 2,289
Thanked: 4,155 Times
Default Re: Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail

Superb travelogue PointZero. Rated 5 stars. Nepal has been on my list for quite sometime. I went to Pokhara and Kathmandu in the nineties, but that was not by road. This travelogue will be helpful if the plan materializes. Keep traveling and keep writing!
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2017, 23:08   #32
BHPian
 
Uprasenjit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: WB26T
Posts: 152
Thanked: 571 Times
Default Re: Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail

Wonderful travelogue. I didn't know so many things about Nepal before reading this. Your travelogue has always been very informative. Keep travelling and sharing.

Thanks.

Rated 5*
Uprasenjit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2017, 14:29   #33
BHPian
 
Max63's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: MH 48
Posts: 31
Thanked: 40 Times
Default Re: Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail

Hi Point Zero,

Nice and detailed travel dairy, Beautiful pictures, What camera you have used for the videos. Is the Dashcam fitted in your car. Also would like to know the total cost incurred. One more question, can Ford Ecosport would be able to take the stride.

Would wait for more detail.

Thanks,

Max63
Max63 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2017, 17:10   #34
BHPian
 
PointZero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 242
Thanked: 1,204 Times
Default Re: Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail

Thank you very much Sumitro Da for providing many contacts during the plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Superb travelogue PointZero. Rated 5 stars. Nepal has been on my list for quite sometime. I went to Pokhara and Kathmandu in the nineties, but that was not by road. This travelogue will be helpful if the plan materializes. Keep traveling and keep writing!
Thank you Prasenjit .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uprasenjit View Post
Wonderful travelogue. I didn't know so many things about Nepal before reading this. Your travelogue has always been very informative. Keep travelling and sharing.

Thanks.

Rated 5*
Thanks Max63.

I use SJCAM 5000 Wifi action cam for video with a suction mount to use as a dash cam.

Bought from amazon.com (US) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had hardly seen FWD car there. But yes, when I was moving towards Jomsom from Beni, I saw one Alto 800 overtaking me from left side with a striker on rear glass "Never Underestimate Alto 800". The alto just crossed the obstacles like a jumping horse . Will search upload the video clip of Alto. On the way from Jomsom -> Kagbeni -> Muktinath I have not seen any FWD or low GC car. Please check the below video, where wheels of army Scorpio is almost under the water level.

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-jomsom-river-crossing.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-jomsom-river-crossing_1.jpg
Water level is almost at Bolero Bumper height though I have oversized tyre 235/70-R16.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Max63 View Post
Hi Point Zero,

Nice and detailed travel dairy, Beautiful pictures, What camera you have used for the videos. Is the Dashcam fitted in your car. Also would like to know the total cost incurred. One more question, can Ford Ecosport would be able to take the stride.

Would wait for more detail.

Thanks,

Max63

Last edited by PointZero : 8th May 2017 at 17:18.
PointZero is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2017, 17:25   #35
BHPian
 
PointZero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 242
Thanked: 1,204 Times
Default Re: Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-jomsom-river-crossing_2.jpg
Another river crossing part.

If you really want to drive a stock Ecosport, you need weather support and low water level on the river crossing stretch.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Max63 View Post
Can Ford Ecosport would be able to take the stride.
Max63
PointZero is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2017, 20:50   #36
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,143
Thanked: 992 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointZero View Post

If you really want to drive a stock Ecosport, you need weather support and low water level on the river crossing stretch.
I would guess september would be a good time to visit overland. Post all the rains, water crossings should have levelled a bit.

Thanks pointzero for the pictures from sayantan. I think he has a few videos on youtube or something as well.
Red Liner is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2017, 21:53   #37
BHPian
 
PointZero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 242
Thanked: 1,204 Times
Default Re: Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail

I believe he does not have any such video. However you can reach him using his face-book profile for any queries. He is very nice man and very good friend of mine.

Regards -
PointZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I would guess september would be a good time to visit overland. Post all the rains, water crossings should have levelled a bit.

Thanks pointzero for the pictures from sayantan. I think he has a few videos on youtube or something as well.
PointZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2017, 09:23   #38
BHPian
 
Uprasenjit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: WB26T
Posts: 152
Thanked: 571 Times
Default Re: Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max63 View Post
Hi Point Zero,

Nice and detailed travel dairy, Beautiful pictures, What camera you have used for the videos. Is the Dashcam fitted in your car. Also would like to know the total cost incurred. One more question, can Ford Ecosport would be able to take the stride.

Would wait for more detail.

Thanks,

Max63
Its difficult to say looking at these videos. But if you want to try then go when the water level is low. I have crossed streams without any issues but you never know what is there beneath the water. Few large stones and slippery surface in slow speed can be a problem.

If stuck you will face the typical problems of a front wheel drive.
Uprasenjit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2017, 09:31   #39
BHPian
 
Max63's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: MH 48
Posts: 31
Thanked: 40 Times
Default Re: Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail

Thanks Prasenjit,

How about October - November, will there be snow at that time.Do we have to carry chains for tires.

Thanks

Subrata
Max63 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2017, 14:16   #40
BHPian
 
PointZero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 242
Thanked: 1,204 Times
Default Re: Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail

Thanks Prasenjit,

Hi Max63,

I don't have any experience of snow chain and/or 4WD. You have to wait for expert's attention to get better suggestion .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max63 View Post
Thanks Prasenjit,

How about October - November, will there be snow at that time.Do we have to carry chains for tires.
Regards -
PointZero
PointZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2017, 00:07   #41
Distinguished - BHPian
 
BlackPearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 2,289
Thanked: 4,155 Times
Default Re: Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max63 View Post
Also would like to know the total cost incurred. One more question, can Ford Ecosport would be able to take the stride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uprasenjit View Post
Its difficult to say looking at these videos. But if you want to try then go when the water level is low. I have crossed streams without any issues but you never know what is there beneath the water. Few large stones and slippery surface in slow speed can be a problem.

If stuck you will face the typical problems of a front wheel drive.
I think the permissible wading depth of stock ecosport is higher than that of stock 2WD Bolero. Need to look at the numbers to confirm though.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2017, 09:32   #42
BHPian
 
Max63's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: MH 48
Posts: 31
Thanked: 40 Times
Default Re: Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail

Ground Clearance of Ecosport is 200 mm and water wading capability is 550 mm, No idea about Bolero. Will check it.

Thanks,
Max63 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2017, 10:12   #43
BHPian
 
PointZero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 242
Thanked: 1,204 Times
Default Re: Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail

As per data sheet both the numbers are higher in Ecosports .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max63 View Post
Ground Clearance of Ecosport is 200 mm and water wading capability is 550 mm, No idea about Bolero. Will check it.

Thanks,
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I think the permissible wading depth of stock ecosport is higher than that of stock 2WD Bolero. Need to look at the numbers to confirm though.
PointZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2017, 12:05   #44
Distinguished - BHPian
 
BlackPearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 2,289
Thanked: 4,155 Times
Default Re: Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointZero View Post
As per data sheet both the numbers are higher in Ecosports .
As per Arka (ex670c) fording depth of stock 4wd Bolero should be 500 to 600mm. I think 2wd should have the same. Here is the link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...tml#post585074 (Offroad specifications of Bolero 4x4)
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 13:15   #45
BHPian
 
PointZero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 242
Thanked: 1,204 Times
Default Re: Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail

Maruti Alto on the way to Jomsom. Please check video at 2:30 min

PointZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nepal: Driving through the East West Highway (Mahendra Highway) Samratrek Travelogues 3 24th July 2016 12:26
A 13000 km, 72 day ride through India, Nepal and Bhutan magiceye Travelogues 23 17th May 2016 13:53
Driving through Melghat - Quickie through Seemadoh, Kolkhas & Chikhaldara 1.2TSI7DSG Travelogues 5 4th April 2016 13:50
Sailing through the River of Dreams - A Rafting Expedition in the Ganges! forester Travelogues 7 24th August 2014 16:18
Calcutta to Uttarakhand, through Nepal Sutripta Route / Travel Queries 5 22nd February 2014 21:06


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks