Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 3rd May 2017, 22:11   #1
BHPian

Default Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand

The trip was decided around a month back and so was the destination, but as the time came close, one of my friends had to back out for some good reason. So it was my cousin and me now, who would be riding together after a very long time. The last time we rode together was when he was on his Eterno scooter and I was riding my RX100 some 7yrs back.

The initial plan we made was we 3 will go to Jalori Pass and Trithan Valley. But after my friend backed out, I decided to go to some place where I have not been before. Hence, the place was decided – Munsiyari, Uttarakhand.

We both would be riding our Hero Impulse which will be loaded with our tent, sleeping bags, sleeping mats, tools, clothes and some eatables. Yes we plan to pitch in our tent whenever and wherever possible.

Now we had 4 days in our hand so we planned our itinerary as follows:

Day 1: Indirapuram, Ghaziabad to Binsar, Uttarakhand
Day 2: Binsar, Uttarakhand to Munsiyari, Uttarakhand
Day 3: Munsiyari, Uttarakhand to Dharchula, Uttarakhand
Day 4: Dharchula, Uttarakhand to Indirapuram, Ghaziabad

Touring Dates: 22nd April - 26th April, 2017

But as if the plan goes as per planned, will narrate more as I move ahead.

All these places are located in Uttarakhand, India. You can read more about in the below links:

Binsar here: http://uttarakhandtourism.gov.in/utdb/?q=binsar

For Munsiyari you can check: http://www.euttaranchal.com/tourism/munsiyari.php

For Dharchulla : http://uttarakhandtourism.gov.in/utdb/?q=dharchula

Now before I go ahead and start the travelogue enjoy some random pictures of the trip:

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-20170422_114857.jpg
Dry River bed at Jim Corbett National Park

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0595.jpg
Camped and relaxed

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-imag0496.jpg
Door to Heaven

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0642.jpg
Binsar Wildlife Sanctuary

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0721.jpg
Nature's cure to Thirst

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0797.jpg
Routes which take your breath away

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0813.jpg
Near Haldwani

Last edited by Shivanshu : 4th May 2017 at 20:14. Reason: Correction
Shivanshu is offline   (19) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2017, 22:19   #2
BHPian

Default re: Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand

Awesome Shiv bhai!!

God knows when the time will come when we will be able to go to a trip together again.
This was the last time and by god, it was 6 years ago.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...-bike-tip.html

I am glad the travelogue is up. The pictures have come out really well.

I am glued to the thread!!

CHEERS!!

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2017, 22:52   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Awesome Shiv bhai!!

God knows when the time will come when we will be able to go to a trip together again.
This was the last time and by god, it was 6 years ago.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...-bike-tip.html

I am glad the travelogue is up. The pictures have come out really well.

I am glued to the thread!!

CHEERS!!

Rachit
Thanks Rachit, I still cherish that trip it was awesome and beautiful. Do not worry we definitely will plan up something good and short for sure. Thanks for the heads up for the travelogue.

More coming soon.
Shivanshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 02:36   #4
BHPian

Day 1: Indirapuram – Moradabad – Kashipur – Ramnagar – Ranikhet – Village Sail → 374 kms

Google Map Link: goo.gl/BWqAHd

The day started today at 2 am with hardly 2 hrs of sleep. The plan was to leave from our place by 3 am which got extended to 4:30 am, with an unplanned visit to 24X7 store for battery and tea in morning. The route was selected by me, this is not the normal route as many opt for much better route conditions from Rampur – Haldwani – Nainital – Almora. Why did I select this, because I wanted to go through the famous Jim Corbett National Park (https://www.jimcorbettnationalpark.co.in).

So finally, after starting at 4:30 am we stopped ahead of a place named Gajraula, was thinking to have something at McDonald, but it was only 6 am and it was closed. So, we moved ahead and found a dhaba named Moga Punjabi Dhaba. The tea was good but the parathas were just pathetic.

After Moradabad, there is a board which gives you direction towards Jim Corbett National Park. Just need to follow it. We were lucky that it was cloudy and hence even at 8 am sun was not there. It started drizzling we had our raincoats on top of our luggage and hence we didn’t have a problem in taking it out. Though after drizzling for sometime the rain stopped, but the clouds were there and there was a cool breeze in air which helped us to reach the entrance of Jim Corbett National Park comfortably. We stopped there for breakfast which was way better than the previous stop we had for food.

After filling our tummy. we were riding through the Jim Corbett National Park. The roads are butter smooth, though in this season the trees were shedding their leaves and it was all dry and brown. But the ride itself was amazing. Now having Impulse as our motorcycle, it doesn’t make sense if we do not go off road. Hence, when we saw a dry river bed we stopped and looked at each other and then took the turn towards the unpaved track, we thought we will ride to the bank of the river where we can find some water. But soon the sand beneath turned very soft and our loaded bikes were sinking in it. So we decided not to venture more as this was just the starting of the trip and we did not wanted to get exhausted here. So, after few clicks we turn around back to tarmac.

Riding through Jim Corbett National Park was simply beautiful, I love these type of roads where the tarmac is surrounded by forest. It would be amazing to cross this stretch sometime in night, and also after rain, will try that soon. After riding from this dry river bed point we again stopped after few kilometers at a sort of cliff point by road side. We clicked many pics here and enjoyed watching the troop of monkeys playing near us.

We both decided to move ahead as the sun was getting on top and the heat was increasing. We got some awesome views en-route and we both were enjoying. We stopped at a road side shack for tea in a place called Toluyun, this place was isolated and had a good shade for our bikes. It was hot at this time of the day. The vendor made tea using the dry pine fruit instead of normal wood charcoal, which was new for me. I was so engrossed looking to it that I forgot to click any pic here. The vendor said it burns very efficiently and easily available on road so why to cut wood, which made a lot of sense to me. We spent some good time here as the vendor and his younger brother were inquiring about our bike and where we going to pitch in our tent and all. It is always interesting to chat with these local guys, they told us stories how leopard makes frequent visit to their village in search of food. And also we saw some amazing birds in this area.

Just then I looked at the watch and realized that we have been yapping with them since last hour. So, we got up quickly and started riding ahead, we still had to ride some distance and pitch in our tent. We crossed the beautiful Ranikhet and time was around 4:30 pm so a short break was needed, I have visited this place when I was a kid and everything seems to have changed. Now we both decided that we need to pitch in the tent before it gets dark. That is one thing you have to keep in mind whenever you are pitching tent. So after having maggi and tea, we decided that we will ride for another hour and then start looking for the area to tent, before the sun sets in.

Now just after the Golf Course, Ranikhet, somewhere near a place called Majhkal we saw a beautiful place perfect for camping. But that place had a board stating the name and number of the owner of the land. We called him and asked if we could camp in here? Man did I do a mistake calling him, that person was on call with me for more than 15 mins explaining the leopards are roaming here and there and all that stuff, and lastly I got his point for eating my head when he said, i have a hotel where if you want you can stay. I said no thank you.

We moved ahead a bit disappointed as it was already 5:30 pm and sun was setting fast. We crossed the milestone which said "Binsar - 24 kms", and then just aside the road we found a perfect spot to pitch in our tent. We stopped there, it was an isolated place and last 5 kms we rode, we did not see any settlement or shop. We were a bit skeptical at first but once we got down from our motorcycle and did a survey of the place, we were like, "Yes" this is the place. The time was around 6 pm, we took our motorcycles off the tarmac and to the point where we would be pitching our tent and inspected it once again.

We sanitized the area by removing any stone or any other object which could tear our tent or the plastic sheet which will be the base. After that we unloaded our luggage from the bike and then pitched in the tent. It hardly takes around 15 mins to pitch in tent. And by the time we were all settled with our luggage, time was already 7 pm. So, after resting for another half an hour, told my brother to get food from some nearby dhaba. And it was decided that I will arrange the luggage in tent in proper manner and arrange for firewood in the meantime. After some time food was there, even got some snacks. We came to know that we were near Sail Village which is just around 2 to 3 kms ahead from where we have pitched in our tent. The luggage was arranged, firewood arranged, motorcycle parked and secured and we were all done for the day. We had a good wash and changed our clothes, what a good relief to get off from the riding gear, the time was to celebrate with drinks n food and yapping till late and watching the beautiful stars twinkling.

That was all for day 1, now enjoy some pictures:

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-20170422_061621.jpg
First stop after leaving from Ghaziabad

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-20170422_082745.jpg
Drizzling starts - we stop - raincoats out

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-20170422_114811.jpg
Posers - Black & Blue

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-20170422_114845.jpg
Enjoying in its terrain

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-20170422_121429.jpg
Watching out to the nature's beauty

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-20170422_121056.jpg
We the Riders, with our Steeds, and with beautiful Jim Corbett National Park

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-20170422_130855.jpg
Twisties - its just the starting

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0574.jpg
Candid shoot

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0588.jpg
Our Ancestors

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-imag0389.jpg
Favorite Snack in Himalayas - Maggi

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0595.jpg
Home for Tonight

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0598.jpg
Fire

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0601.jpg
Finally resting

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0605.jpg
Inside the tent

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-20170422_202540.jpg
One more view

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-imag0391.jpg
Camp Light

Last edited by Shivanshu : 4th May 2017 at 20:24. Reason: content added
Shivanshu is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 10:55   #5
BHPian

Amazing.. Just what I needed in order to put my camping gear to use, which was brought last year, but is still in packed condition. Would love to hear your experience about camping in Munsiyari. Also, do point out any challenges you might have faced in the region while camping.
SHANKY11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2017, 23:13   #6
BHPian

Day 2: So we did not reach Binsar just short of 24kms, now the destination for Day 2 as per planned is Munsiyari, but did we reach there. Read on to know.

Now yesterday night after enjoying the drinks, disposing the food, and lighting the fire for the night we slept around midnight. Got up around 7 am the place where we pitched in was beautiful. Though, in the night we did hear sounds of some animal close by or passing by our tent, but as the rule says, we did not react to it. We got up did morning chores and started packing up our luggage. It was decided that we will have to pull to Munsiyari today which was around 200 kms. We decided that we will have a heavy breakfast at the first outlet available on this road.

The morning when we woke up it was nice and cold with very soothing breeze but as the day started the sun got strong and wind subsided. We were all packed and ready to move by 9:30 am. Just few kms ahead we had a good breakfast at the Sail Village, after which we started moving ahead. As we crossed Zero Point, Binsar; I checked my GPS and saw that Munsiyari was showing 212 kms that also through Bageshwar, now this was the longer route. I got a bit skeptical, as I knew there is a back road which goes through Binsar Wildlife Sanctuary and then it is less than 200 kms. I stopped and informed my brother about it, that this is a longer route and we should inquire. So, we came back around 2 kms where there was a small shop. We had cold drink as it was getting hot, and asked the person about the route through Binsar Wildlife Sanctuary. One elderly person came and informed that yes there is a road which will take us to Dhaulchhina and it is shorter. The only major drawback is that it goes through the forest and is complete off road for 18 kms. Good for us.

The route diversion was much before the Zero Point, Binsar which we have crossed a while back. So we went our way back for almost 5 to 7 kms and confirmed the route from the guards who were sitting at the Zero Point barricade. As we took the route, there is this famous temple of the locals out there named Golu Devta Temple. We crossed that temple paying our regards and respect to the almighty and moved ahead.

The road is non-existence here, it’s just the dirt track wide enough for a vehicle to pass by comfortably. It wasn’t even 5 kms of our riding in this wildlife sanctuary, I saw a movement on the left side which was the hilly side. And till I could realize what it is, or wait, or do anything, the Wild Goat which I later on google to be Himalayan Goral (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Himalayan_goral); jumped right across me and crossed the road and ran into the forest. It happened so fast, that I could just only think of taking my camera out. The animal was beautiful I wish I had helmet mount cam to capture it. But at the same time I knew it was a close call as literally the Wild Goat jumped over me. My brother was very excited and also saying at the same time that the Goat jumped over me. Well we gathered our breath and moved ahead.

The road becomes quite tricky as we get more deeper in the Sanctuary. The so called roads are covered with the dry Pine Needles, and from my past experience I know it does not give any traction on your tyre or your feet. There were few patches which were completely red with these dry Pine Needles though it looked beautiful but was scary as well, my tyre did loose traction on this stretch couple of time. In this 18 kms stretch, we encountered just one car which passed us from the opposite side. It is a beautiful stretch and would definitely do it again after rainy season, it would be amazing to see the lush green surroundings.

Now we got connected to the Highway and started riding towards Dhaulchhina. We were quiet at leisure in Binsar Wildlife Sanctuary, and hence till the time we hit the highway it was already around 1 pm. We started pulling up so that we can reach Munsiyari by evening. From here i.e. Dhaulchhina, Munsiyari was around 160 kms, so as per calculation we should be there by 7 or 8 pm comfortably. Hence, taking the lead we started riding at good speed. As we were approaching a place called Berinag, we could see that the cloud formation have started place and its getting a bit dark. We decided to stop for some snack so that later on we do not stop for longer duration..

At Berinag, the place where we stopped for snack, the shop owner warned us that since past few days in evening it is raining and hailstorm is coming. And they said looking at the clouds, same will happen today as well. Some people seeing the sleeping mat and sleeping bag, they said if you thinking to pitch in tent then don’t, instead get a room. So we told him that yes we will. We quickly had our snacks, paid them, took out the rain gear, and started ahead. Time was around 4:30 pm when we started from there. We did not even ride for half an hour, when it started pouring, we kept on riding and thinking it will subside. But man I was so wrong, the rain went intense, I could not see anything in spite of keeping the visor of the helmet open. The size of the droplets made loud noise inside my helmet, and it felt as if I was being hammered. We kept on riding in this wet condition with the chilled water seeping inside our riding pant and boots, oohhh it was cold.

After few more kilometer riding in this rain, I spotted a closed shop with a shed in front, straight away rode under the shed. Damn the rain was intense, the lower part of the body was all wet. We stood there and I saw the time, it was only 5:15 pm. After discussing with my brother, we decided we will wait and as soon as the rain subsides we will push towards Munsiyari and reach till wherever we can. We checked our motorcycles just to kill time, took out water and some biscuits, we yapped and was enjoying the beautiful greenery and the amazing clouds. But man it was quite some time, the time was already 6:30 pm and the lightning and thundering along the heavy rain was not looking to subside in any way. I knew it is Uttaranchal where landslides are normal and I have been stuck in one of them for five days. Then all of a sudden the rain started slowing down and we started getting ready to ride out. But God saw us getting ready, and as the rain was subsiding the frequency of lightning was increasing its pace, and the thundering of cloud was deafening at time. We both were joking that signal to get out asap, but good we did not. We both were sitting on our motorcycle ready to go, but God had some other plans.

All of a sudden it started raining very heavily, and the tin shed on top of us started making noise as its being showered with stones. And we were just sitting on our motorcycle, all ready, as the rain increased and we saw on the road, we saw the black tarmac turning white. Damn it was hailstorm. The hailstorm increased and so did the size of the hail. The rain never stopped during all this time. Now, when we checked the time it was already 7 pm. after discussing and surveying the area, we decided to go ahead and pitch in our tent here only under this shed, as it is, we didn’t had any other option. Also the time was getting close to 8 pm, so we had to take a decision. We decided not to unload our saddle bags as it was all wet and only take out the essentials. We checked our cell phone, it was all dead, we didn’t wanted to risk it charging from the moist socket of USB charge on the motorcycle.

We took out some snacks which we were carrying and had it for dinner. We tried to light some fire but in vain, there was no dry wood. It was getting freezing with the night. So, for heat what we did is, we started our motorcycle and tried to get the warmth from the engine bay, which did make us feel a little better. And then we got inside the tent, with the thunders of lightning and hail and rain hitting hard on the shed. We thanked that at-least we have tent or else we would be sitting all night in our wet riding pants and shoes. We did yap a bit and slept after some time.

So again the destination was missed today. Munsiyari is still 94kms. Second day of not being able to reach our destination, this was turning out to be more leisure tour for me riding only 100 odd kms in a day...hehehe let us see what the 3rd day holds for us.

So the route taken for today was : Village Sail - Dhaulchhina (through Binsar Wildlife Sanctuary) - Berinag - Near Udyari → 102kms

Google Map Link: https://goo.gl/DZ7Ecx

Now lets see what was clicked today -

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-20170423_075846.jpg
Our Tent

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-imag0398.jpg
The Location where it was pitched yesterday

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0608.jpg
One more pic with both the steeds

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0620.jpg
My Steed

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0630.jpg
After crossing the Zero Point, Binsar

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0636.jpg
Entry to Binsar Wildlife Sanctuary

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0638.jpg
Poser in the Sanctuary

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0641.jpg
Another pose

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0642.jpg
Dry Pine Needle Road

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0644.jpg
Crossing the Mountain

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0646.jpg
First glimpse of snow peaked mountains

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0647.jpg
Another one a bit close

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0654.jpg
Under the shed

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0656.jpg
My Steed under the shed

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0663.jpg
Trying to capture the hail

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0666.jpg
Another try

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0667.jpg
Close up

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0668.jpg
Another shot

That would be all for Day 2.

Last edited by Shivanshu : 10th May 2017 at 01:13. Reason: Editing
Shivanshu is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 23:08   #7
BHPian

Day 3:

We got up early today, luckily the rain had stopped in the night and the weather was all clear. It was a beautiful sight outside our tent. The greenery was looming and the air so fresh, that, it was mesmerizing. We packed up our tent and decided to have our breakfast en-route. So we started our ride and not even 200 meters ahead and after 2 turns there was a Bus stand and a Y intersection. The left one would go to Munsiyari through Bageshwar, and the right would go to Munsiyari via Thal and Birthi Fall, the route which I decided to take.

We sat and asked for Tea and Parathas, we also inquired about the hailstorm and the rain which happened yesterday evening. They informed that it has been 4 days now and this has become the pattern every evening. Also they informed that their is no electricity since last 4 days. We got to know that the hail storm had caused injuries yesterday and day before as well, and those injured had to be rushed to hospital. When they asked us where did we stop last night and we narrated them the story, they said, you guys are mad, there are animals around, and this place is prone to landslide and all. We just kept having our breakfast and then pushed ourselves from there.

This route is beautiful and is again the back road and not the main road, so you won’t find the rush here but mainly tourist and some locals running there shop or eating joint. We stopped at many places for pics or just to admire the beauty of the nature. Also we crossed many small waterfalls in between which were beautiful.

Now, Birthi Fall is famous and known to everyone who has visited this stretch. For those who have not yet gone to this place, you can read here: http://www.euttaranchal.com/tourism/birthi-falls.php

As soon as we reached Birthi Falls, and came off our bikes, we were surrounded by some kids and people for some pic, no not with us, but with the bike . A few obliged to have a click with us as well in our alien clothing. There is a small tea shack out there. Our motorcycles were parked ahead from where we were sitting. And I could see around 4 tourist bus were there, so it was all crowded. We decided not to go up to Birthi Fall for two reasons - 1st being the crowd who was inquisitive of our luggage loaded on the bike, and 2nd being the safety of our machines.

We roamed around there for sometime, ordered maggi, tea and omelette as our snack. We tried to wait till the crowd disperse, but as we were waiting more tourist bus came. We decided to go to rocks around the tea shack and enjoy the cold and clear water of the fall here itself, the water was so refreshing and clear. We sat there for sometime, before deciding to move ahead and reach our destination which was just 35 kms now.

Now, as we started to move from Birthi, the weather changed from bright sun to cloudy. I was like, not today please. As the altitude was increasing in this area our Impulse was having a bit of problem in breathing. Not severe problem but slight power loss. We were carrying the main jet for higher altitudes, but decided not to change as it did not make sense now with destination just reachable and the power loss was not major one. Time was 3 pm.

So, we finally reached Munsiyari, we crossed the town area asking for the way to the Nanda Devi Temple, as I was advised that the Priest would allow us to camp in the temple compound. When we reached there first we saw that we cannot take our bikes near our tent, and after discussing with my cousin decided to skip. We decided to have a look around for more camping sight. There was one behind the ITBP Camp but as we reached there, shepherds had already occupied the area with their tent and when asked if we can pitch the tent as well, he said, “the flock of sheep would be coming back anytime and will occupy the whole area”. I remembered that they have their sheep dog as well and they are dangerous and serious type, not to be fooled around. So, we decided to moved out from there. Now while we were looking for a place to pitch in our tent, the clouds were also coming from the other end. So it was again race with time, who settles first the cloud with the rain or us with the tent. We found one beautiful spot to camp it was under an abandoned tomb like structure, it was perfect for us, whether rain comes or hailstorm won’t make any difference. So we went to inspect it. Damn! it was full of horse shit, so we turned back from there really disappointed.

We were standing and discussing about this when we saw some people passing by. We asked them if we can camp anywhere near. The person was very polite he informed us about the rain and hailstorm from past few days, hence, he said it is not advisable to camp in this weather. And instead told us to get some hotel. His words got us from our adventure state of mind to our comfort mode, especially after last night episode of rain and hail. We knew our tent was wet yesterday, and the moisture had to be there in the sleeping bag as well. So we sat down on the cemented chair placed on the roadside admiring the beauty of the The Panchchuli Peaks right in front of us (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panchchuli). Suddenly there was thunderstorm and it started drizzling. We got up, geared up and rode back to the main market now certain that we will take Hotel tonight and not pitch in tent.

While crossing the main market of Munsiyari my brother had seen a hotel, so we went to that hotel and then my brother checked the room and it was a green light. We both unloaded the motorcycle and the luggage got shifted to our room. The hotel was good and the person who owned the hotel was a very nice man. He was into adventure tourism organizing treks and camping in and around Munsiyari.

The first thing when we got into the room is that we switched on the geyser for a bath. We called it a day, and was laughing at each other that what an achievement of the day to ride 90kms and stay in a hotel room, being sarcastic to each other. But the room was good, neat and clean which I like. The rain stopped in the night, we went to stroll around on our bike and also just checked out the local market. Then we came back in our room, it was quite cold, and hence, time to open the last bottle of the trip along with some yummy local dishes and the yapping session we had.

Tomorrow is going to be a long day, we ride back to Delhi. But wait the route is not yet decided. We will decide on that after getting up.

Route for the day was : Berinag Thal Road - Thal - Birthi - Munsiyari → 94kms

Google Map Link : https://goo.gl/A85XCu

Some pics of the day:

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-imag0458.jpg
The Bus Stand

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-imag0462.jpg
Breakfast time

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-imag0463.jpg
Good for click not for Breakfast for me....

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0679.jpg
On the abandoned bridge

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0684.jpg
Posing

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-20170424_142220.jpg
Waterfall Stop

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-20170424_142102.jpg
The anonymous Waterfall

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0712.jpg
Full View

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0721.jpg
Our Steeds

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0731.jpg
Fresh water

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0734.jpg
Independence Day clouds

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0737.jpg
Covering Fast

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-20170424_131620.jpg
Birthi Fall

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-20170424_131658.jpg
Bridge near Birthi Fall

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-imag0478.jpg
Cute Doggy

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0766.jpg
Will it rain....

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0738.jpg
Close up

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-imag0506.jpg
Clouds near Munsiyari

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-imag0510.jpg
Time Game

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-20170424_155155.jpg
The Dome where we thought we will pitch in the tent

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0772.jpg
Its falling down

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0767.jpg
Dogs enjoying the evening

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-20170424_155208.jpg
Ahead of Musiyari in search of camping place

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0740.jpg
Close up of the dome

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0759.jpg
Magnificent Views

End of Day 3 and yes finally we are at Munsiyari... I loved this place.

Last edited by Shivanshu : 11th May 2017 at 23:25. Reason: Correction
Shivanshu is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2017, 22:17   #8
BHPian

Day 4: So we need to go back to home today, do we take the normal route which is Munsiyari - Almora - Nainital - Moradabad - Indirapuram : 529 kms OR we take some other route? Well we got up early today even after finishing the bottle last night and yapping till late night. Early; yes at 5:30 am I was awake and did my morning chores and then woke up my brother.

Went out and asked for tea which was delivered in our room. With the magnificent view of the sun rising behind “The Panchhuli”, we decided to go on terrace for a better glimpse and enjoy the tea. My brother and I were discussing about which route to take for our return leg. Remember in my first post that we had to be in Dharchulla today, but no problem. We can go to Jauljibi and just pass through there, very close to Dharchulla. Though I was warned before that Munsiyari to Jauljibi is a more of broken roads. But hell yeah, we decided to take this route only, though it will be a bit longer route. So the route was finalized:

Munsiyari - Jauljibi - Pithoragarh - Dhauladevi Town - Suakhan - Panauli - Bhimtal - Haldwani - Moradabad - Indirapuram Ghaziabad → 570kms

Google Map Link: https://goo.gl/e1JYaF

Don’t ask why we took this route, just that, since we are roaming and have time so better be on the road and explore more. Till the time we left from Munsiyari it was 9 am. We had good heavy breakfast so that we did not have to stop early.

One thing I would like to mention. The route which we took were mostly the back roads. Munsiyari to Jauljibi it’s almost broken roads as its a Old State Highway. But enroute we saw many surveyors doing the survey of the road, so may be in next 5 yrs it will go worse before getting fixed. But this route is amazing, I don’t think people do this route as apart from locals I did not see any tourist vehicle in this area. But the beauty along with this whole route is simply amazing. I loved this route and would definitely love to do again and spend more time in this belt. There are many camping areas as well.

Jauljibi to Pithoragarh is mainly a pain, I would say 60% of the roads are broken and still under construction and 40% roads are broad, smooth and amazing. We had a tough time on this route as sun was getting on top and the heat was growing. But anyhow we reached Pithoragarh.

We stopped for a quick lunch and rest, there was not much of Photo Stops in between. We were just pulling up and riding. Enjoyed riding in these twisties. From Pithoragarh again we took the back route and old state highway to Haldwani. These roads were very smooth, but yes it was too narrow at many places and isolated one as well. It was beautiful and we enjoyed a lot riding on these roads.

When the sun was setting down we stopped before Amritpur, just to have last glimpse of the mighty Himalayas. And to thank the Himalayas to pamper us and taking good care of us for past few days. Also, as usual made promise to come back and explore her more.

We started riding down now with darkness already there, we stopped at Haldwani for dinner, and then with some multiple stops we reached our home at 3am.

Not much pics today as we were more busy riding today for a change, . So enjoy the last set of pics for this tour of ours.

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-20170425_060106.jpg
The Panchhuli waking up !!

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-imag0541.jpg
Rays filtering through

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-imag0542.jpg
Another morning shot

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0779.jpg
The Panchhuli

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0788.jpg
Fish Eye

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-imag0543.jpg
Our Room

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-imag0548_burst003.jpg
With the owner and with our steeds packed and ready to move

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-imag0550.jpg
My Brother with the owner

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-20170425_102343.jpg
Goriganga River

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-20170425_102401.jpg
The Road Surface

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-20170425_1024161.jpg
Goriganga River

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0796.jpg
The Route

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0810.jpg
Resting under the shade

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-img_0812.jpg
Last Glimpse of the Mountain

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-20170425_171811.jpg
Chilled

Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand-imag0576.jpg
The brothers - saying Bye Bye and the cameras are inside now..

I would like to thank the Moderators for approving the travelogue and the fellow members who took their time to read and go through this. Thank you once again.

Ride Hard, Ride Long & Ride Safe.

Last edited by Shivanshu : 13th May 2017 at 22:18.
Shivanshu is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 07:49   #9
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to Travelogues. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 00:18   #10
BHPian

Default Re: Camping Trip to the Himalayas - Uttarakhand

Nice thread!
It's great to see the spirit with which you guys ride through, and importantly slept through this trip, lol.

I have to ask whether you got any proper sleep at all while in the tent under the tin shed..

Also how does the impulse perform while going uphill? Does the engine size (and lack of torque) become a bother?

Cheers,
Sam
samarth.bhatia is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 20:21   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
Nice thread!
It's great to see the spirit with which you guys ride through, and importantly slept through this trip, lol.

I have to ask whether you got any proper sleep at all while in the tent under the tin shed..

Also how does the impulse perform while going uphill? Does the engine size (and lack of torque) become a bother?

Cheers,
Sam
Thank you Sam.

About sleep, the first day where we pitched in Tent, i.e. 24 kms before Binsar, we had a very sound sleep. Apart from some animal movement noise coming in the morning hours, we slept normally without any discomfort. Second day, it was more of a compulsion as we didn't have any other option due to rain and hailstorm. But yeah we slept after getting used to the tip tap sound on the tin shed.

Impulse is a beautiful machine, the chassis is strong and double welded. Yes, after 2000 meter it starts gasping for breath. But in this trip we did not face much power loss. I carry 2 different main jet with me always to change, in case the AMS hits the machine. I have done Chanshal Pass as well on this machine, it doesn't give any problem and that is around 3800 meter above sea level.

You can go through my Travelogue for Chanshal Pass here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-himachal.html (A blissful ride: Uttaranchal to Himachal)

Overall, 150cc does bother a bit, but it matters more in plain than in hills.

Last edited by Shivanshu : 16th May 2017 at 20:24. Reason: Adding some info.
Old 18th May 2017, 17:55   #12
BHPian

Shivanshu Bhai,

Lovely travelogue, enjoyed every bit of it. especially the camping part.
Did the circuit last year but during the Kailash Manasarovar Yatra.

Is any special permit required for riding/driving till Dharchula ?
mayurpalav is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2017, 19:58   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayurpalav View Post
Shivanshu Bhai,

Lovely travelogue, enjoyed every bit of it. especially the camping part.
Did the circuit last year but during the Kailash Manasarovar Yatra.

Is any special permit required for riding/driving till Dharchula ?
There is no permit required to ride/drive till Dharchula, and thanks for going through the travelogue, I am glad you enjoyed it.