Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 25th May 2017, 09:28   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Duster AWD Twins drive to Sikkim

Great report & pics, guys! Looks like everyone had a blast.

If there were 4 sane people travelling, they'd all fit in one car. But no, we are BHPians who want to drive, hence will be 2 per car .

Right after reading your travelogue, I saw Renault's press release on the recent 'Gang of Dusters' drive. I know if any of those participants see your report, they'd much rather have joined you on this trip . So much more fun!

Duster AWD Twins drive to Sikkim-god-participants-their-cars-punakha.jpg
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2017, 09:43   #17
BHPian

Hey can i know the dates when this trip was done? Could not spot it in the log. thanks
hiran77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2017, 10:29   #18
BHPian

I guess he has already mentioned, May day extended weekend.

Extremely good photos PapaBravo. Great travelogue.
Nempuguru is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2017, 12:40   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
Extremely good pics and the Duster remains the king of the compact SUV !
Thanks BUXX !! It does handle most bad situations pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uprasenjit View Post
Wonderful pictures and narration Pawan da. The duster looks amazing in the snow. The layer of snow looks very scary. The inclines/declines made the drive more thrilling I guess .
Thanks a lot Prasenjit. The snow layer was indeed scary. They are putting stones on the path to Reshi. Due to this slush is reducing. I think in sometime one will have a paved road till river. Not sure whether it will be good for the location or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navsjab View Post
Another crisp TL by you. Loved the pictures of the twins together. The loops of Zuluk with and without the snow looks beautiful.

I plan to drive on the Old Silk Route in mid June. Hope I get the permits without much trouble.
Thanks a lot Brother !! All the best for your trip. Don't think permits will be an issue in June, unless it rains very hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subuiyer View Post
A fabulous travelogue. Fantastic pictures of Duster twins in snow - I now wish I could visit Sikkim soon!
Thank you subuiyer. Hope your Duster AWD is back to glory after that 7 car pile up. Do visit Sikkim if you can take out sometime.

Quote:
+1 The Duster may be an getting old and have its shortcomings, but I think it is still THE benchmark for riding comfort and on-road dynamics at its price point - yet to meet someone who said they are tired after travelling in this vehicle.
Absolutely! It makes long distances seem short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARAY View Post
Yet another blockbuster travel blog. Mesmerising narration and perfect pictures. Its been an year almost I got the duster awd after discussing with you and I thank you everytime I go for a long trip.
Duster AWD strikes the sweetspot between comfort offroadability and handling. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful blog, bong duster hopes to meet the twin brothers back in WB sometime soon.
Thanks a lot Aritra. I feel happy whenever I see you enjoying with Bong Duster on numerous trips that you make. Also, the fact that you realise the limitations very well & respect the car for what it is. It is difficult for people to accept shortcoming of their own car. Do let us know when Bong duster is in town. Will have a great time together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddarthab View Post
Congrats Pawan and Sayantan on completing an action packed trip. The TWINS were in their true habitat, eh ?
Siddhartha
Thanks a lot Siddharta Da. Twins loved the vacation. They were posing without much tantrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRider28 View Post
Fantastic travelogue Pawan! Very crisp and thrilling to read! Relived every moment!
Welcome. Wouldn't have been same without you guys. The additional photos are nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Am a big fan of this part of the Himalaya's and every time i visit this place or come across an amazing travelogue like this one, it never ceases to amaze me!

Fabulous pics and wonderful narration. Hats off to both of you for your flawless driving on the downhill road in snow. I know how steep these roads are and how difficult it will be to drive on snow on this route.
Rated a well deserved 5* for the pics, narration, taking the pain of sharing this travelogue with us and most importantly for both of your fabulous driving skills!
And off course the snow covered Dusters are looking splendid!
Thanks a lot for the appreciation Samba !! It was indeed test for us. Luckily we made it out alive.

Quote:
Now let me be typically 'Samba' by sharing few pics from my trips from Zuluk and Darjeeling!
Who can say no to the perfect pictures posted by you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Brings back a lot of memories! I still remember the time I visited Gangtok. They were laying up MG then. Its been years since then!

Times Fly.
It really does. When did you visit Gangtok last time. If its been long you can plan an encore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Great report & pics, guys! Looks like everyone had a blast.

If there were 4 sane people travelling, they'd all fit in one car. But no, we are BHPians who want to drive, hence will be 2 per car .
Thanks a lot GTO. We had a hard time convincing the hotel guys that we are 4 people but would require two car parkings. They never really understood why 4 people would take two cars.

Quote:
I know if any of those participants see your report, they'd much rather have joined you on this trip . So much more fun!
I have been following them on FB as well. I am sure some people would have changed teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiran77 View Post
Hey can i know the dates when this trip was done? Could not spot it in the log. thanks
This was done on 1st May 2017.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nempuguru View Post
I guess he has already mentioned, May day extended weekend.

Extremely good photos PapaBravo. Great travelogue.
Thanks a lot Nempuguru !!

Regards,

Pawan
PapaBravo is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2017, 18:31   #20
BHPian

Pawan & Sayantan, Thanks for sharing the details of your scintillating trip and a daredevil ride on snow, rated a well deserved 5 stars.

Did you have ESP switched off when your AWD lock was on and you were coming downhill ? Did Girgiti also need the lock or did the tyres alone do the job ?
DriveTrain is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2017, 21:27   #21
BHPian

Pawan Da/ Sayantan Da,

What a lovely travelogue and pictures. Sikkim is such a place which never disappointed us.

It is really unpredictable what you will see in your next visit to same place. We did a trip on may 2014 but could not relate the snow storm with the weather we faced.

I don't know if you have already seen it. sharing the link -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-sunlight.html (Sikkim: Long winding road to serenity, the game of clouds & sunlight)

Rated 5*

Last edited by PointZero : 25th May 2017 at 21:35.
PointZero is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2017, 22:35   #22
BHPian

Brilliant venture for the twins! Lovely photographs and thrilling adventure you had there.
Just noticed the "Explorer" badge on HULK. Looks good!

Rated 5*
gearhead_mait is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 08:25   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Hope you enjoyed reading the travelogue as much as we enjoyed this trip !! Signing off till next one
Yes, we did enjoy reading your travelogue. In fact, I read it twice! It is always pleasurable to read your straight-from-the-heart writing.

It was plain scary to see your pictures of the drive through the snowy, slippery slopes of Zuluk loop. Given your situation I don't know what else you could have done but drive through the stretch definitely appeared to be quite risky. Believe me, once I had ended up totaling my car in a much lesser snow than yours but deceptively lying on a black ice. The speed of the car was only around 10 kmph.

Keep driving and drive it safe. Will wait for your `next one'!

Cheers,
gmhossain is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 14:44   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveTrain View Post
Did you have ESP switched off when your AWD lock was on and you were coming downhill ? Did Girgiti also need the lock or did the tyres alone do the job ?
Both, the Cross Contact and Wanderers, display impressive tread patterns but may be the tread compound of Wanderer may have hardened given the low temperature. Whereas the rubber compound of Conti Cross may have helped it stay supple in the cold, giving them better grip and braking.

@PapaBravo - Really enjoyed going through your travelogue!
bijuiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 15:26   #25

Hats off to your driving skills on snow clad hilly roads. I remember my descent from Nathula pass to Gangtok in similar snowy conditions. The driver was extra cautious and we saw a couple of outside vehicles who met with accident as they couldn't master the roads! It was very pleasing to go through the TL and all the snaps express the immense happiness that all 4 of you derived out of this trip.

Cheers and keep posting more adventurous drives for us to lap them up..
Subroto Bhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 15:38   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveTrain View Post
Pawan & Sayantan, Thanks for sharing the details of your scintillating trip and a daredevil ride on snow, rated a well deserved 5 stars.
Thank you Angshuman Da !!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuiser View Post
Both, the Cross Contact and Wanderers, display impressive tread patterns but may be the tread compound of Wanderer may have hardened given the low temperature. Whereas the rubber compound of Conti Cross may have helped it stay supple in the cold, giving them better grip and braking.
No. I never switched off ESP. Infact, was glad ESP was helping me in maintaining the line. Girgiti was on Auto. It would have required AWD lock if it would have been uphill. Tyres played a major role in gripping.

@bijuiser. On the contrary, Cross contacts are pretty hard compound which is also the reason behind their bad highway & wet grip. But since they are harder, the tread depth of Cross contacts was about double of my Wanderers (Softer). This low tread depth was the main disadvantage in snow. With more tread depth, Wanderers had performed better in snow on this (White Sikkim in a Duster AWD) trip.

Quote:
@PapaBravo - Really enjoyed going through your travelogue!
Thank you !

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointZero View Post
Pawan Da/ Sayantan Da,

What a lovely travelogue and pictures. Sikkim is such a place which never disappointed us.

Rated 5*
Thank you so much Tutai !!
Quote:
It is really unpredictable what you will see in your next visit to same place. We did a trip on may 2014 but could not relate the snow storm with the weather we faced.

I don't know if you have already seen it. sharing the link -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-sunlight.html (Sikkim: Long winding road to serenity, the game of clouds & sunlight)
I have definitely read it. Masterpiece. I do not miss any of your TLs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post
Brilliant venture for the twins! Lovely photographs and thrilling adventure you had there.
Just noticed the "Explorer" badge on HULK. Looks good!

Rated 5*
Thanks a lot Soumyajit !! You have keen eyes. The explorer badge is a new edition. Hope I do some justice to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
Yes, we did enjoy reading your travelogue. In fact, I read it twice! It is always pleasurable to read your straight-from-the-heart writing.
Thanks a lot for those encouraging words Hossain Sa'ab.

Quote:
It was plain scary to see your pictures of the drive through the snowy, slippery slopes of Zuluk loop. Given your situation I don't know what else you could have done but drive through the stretch definitely appeared to be quite risky. Believe me, once I had ended up totaling my car in a much lesser snow than yours but deceptively lying on a black ice. The speed of the car was only around 10 kmph.

Keep driving and drive it safe. Will wait for your `next one'!
It was risky. But we had not choice. We did not have any accommodation to fall back to. Also, we never anticipated that the snow cover would last for so long. But we accordingly, we exercised extreme caution without worrying about the time taken. Being together also gave us some motivation.

Will write the 'next one' as soon as we get the next opportunity !!

Regards,

Pawan
PapaBravo is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2017, 22:15   #27

That is one beautiful trip you had. The snow looks really scary. And yes Duster is the king of compact SUvs
docswarna26 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2017, 00:28   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow Pawan! This is splendid. I'm always fascinated by this part of the Himalayas and places en route. I'm sure you love it too as its your second travel to this region in as many years! Lovely write up with beautiful pictures. You guys displayed amazing driving skills in snow.
We had traveled to the old silk route on two wheels in the peak of winter and interestingly didn't witness any snow. And here you guys get the opportunity in the peak of summers!! Despite the trouble you guys had due to snow, I am sure I won't hear you complain!!
In all, a great trip and a wonderful log to wrap it up.
Regards,
Saket.

Last edited by saket77 : 29th May 2017 at 00:30.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2017, 13:05   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Beautiful!! I could manage to log in finally and check this travelogue.
I believe I asked you about your tires sometimes back

And can you please point out prominent place near Bagdogra for that exit? As well as from the other end?
Thanks
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2017, 16:02   #30
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

WOW.... Wonderful travelogue and the snaps are simply the best. It takes some skills to drive through these ice covered roads. I was wondering whether we get snow tyres like abroad out here ? I have seen Army trucks with chains wrapped around the tyres near Nathula pass, but not sure we get special tyres to run on the snow.
gadadhar is offline   Reply With Quote