Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 13th June 2017, 12:12   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Breakin' The Ice: Phalut Winter Trek, Darjeeling

Dear Golam,

Thank you!
The trekking gear used was quite 'normal' when compared to previous treks. For all my treks I have been wearing a Tshirt, jackets, thermals (if very cold and only at night), woolen gloves. A trekking pole. As opposed to trek pants, I have used denims very successfully. Ultimately it depends upon your comfort factor.

Actually, when you are walking on the trail you will feel hot. But if you settle down, it gets very cold.

The backpack usually weighs 7-8 kgs. Its weight is mostly contributed by the tripod.

Hope I have been able to answer your question

Cheers,
Sayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
I am curious to know about your trekking gears for this winter trip including approximate cost. Also, how much weight did you carry in your backpack during the trek?

Thanks,

Last edited by sayakc : 13th June 2017 at 12:41.
sayakc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2017, 14:26   #17
BHPian

Wow ! Spellbound ! Amazing write up & pictures Sayakc. Your narration is superb & takes us in a journey with you. Love the way you describe your journey.

Would have rated more than 5 stars.

Keep trekking & taking us with you on these trips.

Regards

Pawan
PapaBravo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2017, 15:43   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post
Itinerary
Day One:
Overnight train from Sealdah to NJP to Manebhanjan (Shared Cab). Manebhanjan to Tumling (Walk)
Day Two: ....
Total cost ~Rs 9000
Total experiences and memories: Priceless

Amazing pics and really nice narration. Thanks for introducing me to these parts. It would be useful if you could also provide some contact numbers or leads for hiring the guides. Do you book in advance or from specific persons or directly and so on?
It would be interesting to know total distance covered by foot and also if this can show inclines etc.

Also, I wonder if they grow potatoes why do they feed you Maggi instead?
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2017, 19:33   #19
BHPian

Amazing narration, again! Feels wonderful to read through your trekking adventures.
Could you please demarcate the three mountains in a picture i.e. Everest, Makalu and Llotse?
gearhead_mait is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2017, 20:15   #20
BHPian

Stunning is the word. Wonderful pics and excellent narration. Rated a very well deserved 5*.
Have seen many travelogues on this part of the Himalaya's but your travelogues always stand out. It has a charm of its own. You are a true wanderer.
Keep travelling and keep sharing the travelogues with us.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2017, 20:44   #21
BHPian

Hi Pawan, Thank you very much! I too am a fan of your long drives and crisp writeups
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Wow ! Spellbound ! Amazing write up & pictures Sayakc. Your narration is superb & takes us in a journey with you. Love the way you describe your journey.
Yes, selfdrive, those are priceless. Stand on a mountain edge and take a deep breathe, it detoxifies the damage city life does to us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Total experiences and memories: Priceless

Also, I wonder if they grow potatoes why do they feed you Maggi instead?
Thank you Gearhead! I have attached the answer but Everest and Lhotse are a little cloudy. If you want the peak identification of the Kanchenjunga range let me know for sure.

Name:  Peak Spotting.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  69.7 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post
Could you please demarcate the three mountains in a picture i.e. Everest, Makalu and Llotse?
Samba, thank you very much again! I would say that the way you have portrayed Bengal and its beauty is highly commendable. I always refer to your thread if I decide to go somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Stunning is the word. Wonderful pics and excellent narration. Rated a very well deserved 5*.
sayakc is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2017, 12:26   #22
BHPian

Such beautiful description of the place. Although I stay far away from such wonderful places I make sure to drive to these places atleast once in a year. I keep saying to the people here, eastern Himalayas has its own charm and has so much to explore. Thanks for sharing your experience and helping with a virtual tour.
ARAY is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote