Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 8th January 2007, 11:41   #1
BHPian

Default Countries / States Visited and your experience

Team BHPians must be a widely travelled lot. Either in India or abroad. To quickly summarize their experience....

Abroad:

1. How many countries have you visited.
2. Among the countries visited, how many have you driven on.
3. Which is your favourite country (overall experience).
4. Which is the country you loved driving on.

India:

1. How many states have you visited.
2. Among the states visited, how many have you driven on.
3. Which is your favourite state (overall experience).
4. Which is the state you loved driving on.

Short summary will be keep the thread concise.
Subbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 11:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Outside India, I have only driven by bike to Bhutan.

I have driven to all States in India during the last 10 years. Himachal is one of my favourite States, both because of the exciting terrain, great roads and the friendly people. Uttaranchal does not have as good roads, but the pilgrimmage trail has good facilities.

Madhya Pradesh is the worst as roads go, and some parts of Tamil Nadu (happily, not the arterial roads) follow close behind.

Maharashtra has some good coastal roads, but Goa is still teh best beach state.

Road facilities are the worst in Orissa and maybe the best in Haryana and Maharashtra.

Punjab and Tamil Nadu States have the worst cops who go after out-of-state vehicles and try to book them on some pretext or the other to extort bribes.

Rajasthan is overall the fastest drive state, and I have consistently maintained high states in various states across the State.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 12:01   #3
BHPian

Abroad
-------
Melbourne-Australia; Tokyo-Japan; Texas, Bay Area and Boston USA;
Learnt driving and enjoyed driving in the US
Wouls love to drive and probably will enjoy driving in Australia. The experiences were better in Japan and US.

My favorite country will be US.

India
-----
Delhi, UP, Karnataka, TN and my native A.P
I' loved driving in Karnataka and AP (NH5, NH9).
My favorite states will be Karnataka and Tamilnadu.
sreenivass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 12:13   #4
BHPian

Abroad
-------
US: California, Nevada, Virginia, DC
Europe: UK, The Netherlands, France, Greece, Italy
Asia: HongKong, Malaysia

Favourite drive: Los Angeles to Las Vegas in a Subaru Imprezza WRX. (Went in 2 cars - the other was an MR2).

India
-----
Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala
Goa, Maharashtra, Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Punjab,
Uttaranchal, Himachal Pradesh, West Bengal, Sikkim

Favourite drive: Delhi to Shimla via the Delhi-Ambala toll road.

Cheers,
Ajit
ajitkommini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 12:32   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbu View Post
Abroad:

1. Visited HK, Singapore and USA
2. Driven just in USA for a short drive in LA
3. Singapore.. No contest. Very honest and friendly people. If you lose your wallet here, you will definitely get it back, unless you lose it in "Little India"
4. USA is great, but don't have much experience

Quote:
India:

1. Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Andhra, Maharashtra, Goa, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Uttaranchal, Delhi, Haryana, Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, Gujrat, chandigarh

2. Punjab, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Delhi, Uttaranchal, Himachal Pradesh, Chandigarh
3. Punjab of course, hometown is there! Followed by Himachal. Very friendly, I feel safe in these two places, esp Himachal. Its probably the only state where I can confidently drive on lonely roads. The least safe I have felt is in Uttar Pradesh, esp driving at night in Rural UP
4. This is a tough one. Himachal has the most scenic roads and great ones too. Punjab and Haryana have well laid NH1. But Himachal driving is the most entertaining, esp on shimla highway. Down south AP takes the cake. Amazing roads.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 12:48   #6
BHPian

Stayed abroad for a long spell..!

Muscat-Oman 1989-1992 ( Toyota Cressida)

Dubai-UAE 1992-1997 (Toyota Cressida,Ford Mercury Topaz(CruiseControl),Pontiac Firefly(Mom's)

As a child this was my visual expierence

Car's wise Dubai had a good share of amazing machines, roads were good and driving was strict rules back then. Dad driving to Fujairah,Ras Al-Khaiemah,Al Ain, Jebel Hafiz were all great roads lined with Mountains and Desert Dunes..! Although the most boring drives were Abu Dhabi..and shortest ones were Sharjah or Ajman..!

But I felt Muscat was more scenic drive with barren mountains, giving view of the sea-winding roads..statues of Oryx and other monuments lighted up on the mountain roads etc..! Been to Wadi's, Salalah, Kantab beach...Were all great drives.

India

Lucknow (1997-2000)- Had a KB 100, Hero Puch, Maruti 800, Premier NE118
Delhi (2000-Till date)-Maruti Esteem, Uno D, Lancer SFXi,XETA CNG

Visited- Karnataka,Maharastra,Tamil Nadu,Gujrat,Rajasthan,Uttranchal,Himachal Pradesh,Punjab.

Based up north, I have learnt driving on Lucknow and Delhi roads, Expierence we all know how indian roads are, But one thing for sure...If you can manage to drive in lucknow you could drive anywhere...!
I drove short spells in the Delhi-Lucknow highway via Meerut, I drove on road to Ranikhet-Which I must rate as a wonderful drive with first class maintained roads.

Prefer to travel outstation by Train...so not much driving.

Last edited by wolfinstein : 8th January 2007 at 12:50.
wolfinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 12:50   #7
BHPian

Abroad
US - New Jersey, Detroit, LA, Santa Barbara, Sin City, Dallas, San Antonio, New York, Ohio
Europe - Denmark, Sweden, UK
Asia - Malaysia, Singapore, Cambodia, Thailand, Sri Lanka
India - Almost all the states except in the NE (excluding Darjeeling..)

Best Drive US: Santa Barbara to Sin City on the Acura MDX loaded with 5 guys.
Best Drive Europe: Driving over the bridge from Copenhagen, Denmark to Malmo Sweden on a Peugeot.
Best Drive Asia: Kuala Lumpur to Penang and Bangkok to Pattaya.
Best Drive India: Bangalore - Goa via Shimoga, love the tight curves .
anarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 13:10   #8
BHPian

Driving in the US was way too boring since I prefer a lot more chaos.. US is more like dumb-proof in many ways which is a big let down when you think of the roads and the power cars one gets to drive there.
Equus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 13:28   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Team BHPians must be a widely travelled lot. Either in India or abroad. To quickly summarize their experience....

Abroad:

India:

Visited US, South Africa, Ireland, England, Hongkong, Malaysia, Sweden and driven in US, South Africa, Ireland.
Overall experience was best in Ireland - extremely friendly people and a pub every few meters!
Loved driving in US due to properly marked roads and exits.

India:
NCR, Punjab, HP, MP, Maharashtra, TN, Karnataka, Goa; driven on NCR, Punjab, HP, MP, Maharashtra and Goa.
Favourite is NCR due to wide and well laid roads
However, I loved driving in Goa - Excellent roads, specially in Panjim and very little traffic. Excellent view of the river and sea.
Sumed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 13:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Abroad

Have travelled to a few countries in the Europe. Never driven in any country but have been driven around by my colleagues.
Have been to Ireland,Scotland, UK , France and Germany.
Best ever experience is needless to mention, being driven on the Autobahn.

Drove a Carrera once on my previous visit to Lyon, but only in the drive way of the hotel.

India

Have travelled in India quite a bit(mostly metro's), but have driven only in Pune, TN,Kerala and Karnataka.
Worst experiences have been limited to driving in TN and Karnataka. Found the people of kerala to be more sensible on the roads except for the tipper lorries and buses.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 14:00   #11
BHPian

Abroad:

Countries Visited: US, UK, France, Portugal, Belgium, Germany, Netherlands, Venezuela, Brazil, Argentina, Philippines, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Oman and UAE.

Countries Driven: US and UK only.

Best Country(ies): Portugal, UK and Argentina.

Best Country to Drive: UK (Lovely roads, scenic routes, lots of pubs and friendly all the way).

India:

States Visited: All States except Bihar, J&K and North East.

States Driven: TN, Delhi and Karnataka.

Best State: Kerala.

Best State to Drive: Delhi and parts of UP & Uttaranchal.
Subbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 14:12   #12
DRC
BHPian

Abroad,
USA, California, Nevada, Arizona,
Of which California out side bay area is my favourite. Very scenic, very good roads, and get to stamp your foot at times. Nevada is alright. Arizona is very good ro have some fun with cars. The speed limit is a little higher here and enforcement is not so strict.

Germany, Austria.: Well It was mostly germany with only one stint to Austria on a weekend. Very beautiful roads out side cities. But inside the city(Munich), it is a big chaos. no better than bangalore. After having learnt a lesson, I used to rather take a train to city. Driving on the autobahn is an experience by itself. Unfortunately I could not push my rental merc as it was winter and the road was icy.

India: Have traveled extensively in Karnataka, and a little TN and Goa.

I bet Goa is hte best. Better roads, better road manners. Karnataka outside Bangalore is good.

My experience in TN is seasonal. Some times good sometimes bad.
DRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 14:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Abroad:

Countries Visited: US, Singapore.
Countries Driven: US.
Best Country(ies): Not visited enough countries to comment on it.
Best Country to Drive: Hold your breath, India! (I usually doze off if I drive in US).

India:

States Visited: All States except Bihar, West Bengal, Goa, Rajasthan and North East.
States Driven: Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh.
Best State: Himachal Pradesh.
Best State to Drive: I have found roads in TamilNadu and Andhra Pradesh better than Karnataka.
deepakhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 14:49   #14
Team-BHP Support

Pardeshes visited/stayed/worked: Frankfurt, Germany and Berne, Switzerland ; London, UK ; NC ,NY, MI, LA: US

Pardeshes driven in: UK, US

Favorite Pardesh: Switzerland: GOD's own country and Europe in general

Best driving experience: US. The only thing I loved abt this country - its roads. mainly arrow straight but a delight to drive on.

---------------------------------------------------

Indians states visited: KA (native), TN, MH, GJ, JH, ND, PB, AP, HY

Indian states driven in: Mostly official visits - not much driving. Personally driven only in Karnataka , AP and TN (short hops)

Favorite State: Maharashtra. The friendlest statehood I've ever encountered. Very helpful, very sharing and fantastic hosts. Makes a visitor feel at home. Very forward looking and not many mind-blocks. Outside Karnataka, its Maharashtra that I felt most comfortable in when on office trips.

Favorite road: Baroda/Ahmedabad to Mumbai expressway.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 16:00   #15
BHPian

Abroad:

Countries Visited
: Japan- [Tokyo & Furukawa], Srilanka, Nepal, Singapore, Malaysia & Thailand

Countries Driven: Japan, Singapore & Srilanka(very short journies) and Pattaya in Thailand

Best Country(ies): Japan unarguably. Only country where honesty lives successfully.

Best Country to Drive: Japan; though Singapore is almost another Japan but I prefer the Genuine....

India:

States Visited: Jammu, Kashmir, Uttranchal, Himachal Pradesh, UP, MP, Rajasthan, Punjab, AP, Tamilnadu, Karnataka, Maharashtra, West Bengal, Assam, Haryana and Delhi ofcourse

States Driven: Jammu, Uttranchal, Himachal Pradesh, UP, MP, Rajasthan, Punjab, AP, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Haryana and Delhi

Best State: Delhi, because I am a food lover too and I cant enjoy food anywhere else as much as I do here.

Best State to Drive: Chandigarh - Punchkula. The best roads with people with better senses to drive. Even highway drivers are literate enuf to drive sensibly.
Mendi is offline   Reply With Quote