Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 17th April 2007, 18:11   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I too am not too sure of this route. But one thing took me by surprise. Mobike, did you see that chart he plotted? 620 odd kms to Panaji, Goa from Hyderabad!!! I mean, he shaved off more than 200kms from his journey
I did notice that and also noticed that the time to reach is the same ( 945mins/60= ~16 hours), so imagine how pathetic the road condition could be .

Secondly, i do not beielve goa is 620 kms by any route, it can never be less than 800kms whichever route you take, so pls be mentally prepared for the same.

I agree with Zappo, i would never give the steering wheel to anybody else, i would drive all the way myself, sometimes to the pain of fellow drivers but, then darn, its my car.

So the mantra to enjoy such a long drive is start early, drive liesurly and reach safely and if possible chuck the night driving
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2007, 18:21   #32
Team-BHP Support

Btw, my gallery pics have some pics of the vikarabad drive, vikarabad station and a lovely lonely spot on the top of a hill where we blasted some music along with some chilled alcoholic drinks
Old 18th April 2007, 18:32   #33
BHPian

@Mobike008 Why do you travel to gulbarga often??? I am from gulbarga by the way. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I agree with you completely, i often go to Gulbarga and this particular stretch from Humnabad to Gulbarga reminds you of a foreign road for the curvy roads and landscape view et all.

Only thing that put me off are the number of speed breakers, whewww..never saw so many on a highway type of road in my life.
whitesquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2007, 10:38   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
@Mobike008 Why do you travel to gulbarga often??? I am from gulbarga by the way. . .
My mom's relatives are from Gulbarga, There are about 4-5 families there and in addition to that, we like to visit the dargah. I dont know if you know the auradhkar families, they are landlords there in Gulbarga?
Old 20th April 2007, 16:56   #35
BHPian

Okay! . .I have heard of Auradkar Family though I don't know any one from that family (I might have known some one and Forgotten since I am out of touch with Gulbarga since my graduation in 1993). Darga is a nice place and lots of worshipper world-over come there for Urs every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
My mom's relatives are from Gulbarga, There are about 4-5 families there and in addition to that, we like to visit the dargah. I dont know if you know the auradhkar families, they are landlords there in Gulbarga?
whitesquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2007, 20:32   #36

Hi Zappo

Just wanted to thank you for the excellent blog. Took a printout of the same on my trip to Goa from Hyderabad and followed it religiously. Just two updates on your travelogue...

a) Road from Chikodi to Golden Quadrilateral is good if we take the route via Hukeri instead of Sankeshwar. This should help one to overcome the 40 km bad stretch that you talk about between Chikodi and GQ.
b) Read in the newspaper in Bijapur today morning ...that the Karnataka govt has recarpeted the road from Belgaum to Panaji via Londa. This should help in further savings in travel time as one can avoid the ghats route of Amboli and Savantwadi.

Point a ...I actually drove on so can vouch for that.
Point b...will like to hear from anyone who takes that route..

will help me in my next trip to goa...hope to have it pretty soon... :-)

Regards
Amit
amitsethi100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2007, 08:56   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitsethi100 View Post
Point b...will like to hear from anyone who takes that route..

will help me in my next trip to goa...hope to have it pretty soon... :-)

Regards
Amit
Thats great news....but are you sure??? You are talking of Belgaum - Khanapur - Londa - OldGoa (which is the NH4A)
The Londa route (from Belgaum as well from Dharwad) was damn scary...and it only detoriated in the last couple of years....on 25Dec2006, my friend took 2.5 hours from Dharwad- Goa border (abt 60km) plus his Indica Turbo was hanging between 2 huge potholes (shd I say CarHoles )...Underbody took huge beating...

if that has been recarpeted then nothing like it....even the Bangalore - Goa route gets shorter interms of Time as well as distance both...Plus that section is very scenic too...

Can you also confirm about the Dharwad - Alnavar - Londa section?

Abhi

Last edited by akroy : 1st June 2007 at 09:03.
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2007, 09:05   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Thats great news....but are you sure???
The Londa route was damn scary...and it only detoriated in the last couple of years....on 25Dec2006, my friend took 2.5 hours from Dharwad- Goa border (abt 60km) plus his Indica Turbo was hanging between 2 huge potholes (shd I say CarHoles )...Underbody took huge beating...

if that has been recarpeted then nothing like it....even the Bangalore - Goa route gets shorter interms of Time as well as distance both...Plus that section is very scenic too...

Abhi
I agree with you abhi, Aug 15, 2006 i was on that road and it was the most nightmarish experience. In an OHC, we entered on that ghat at 6pm and we came out of that ghat road at 11pm, so imagine the condition of the roads it took us almost 5 hours to cover 25 kms driving continously. As you rightly described HUGE potholes and HUGE speed breakers really gave a tough time to the underbody of the car.

Amit, even if your news is correct, i would never take that route in my life again and would take the sawantwadi route any day which is quite scenic even if its slightly longer. I took this route in my second trip to goa during dec'06 and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Are you planning to post some pics of your trip?
Old 2nd June 2007, 20:14   #39

Guys

The news was in the deccan herald on the 31st of May. I had stayed in a hotel in Bijapur on my return journey from Panaji to Hyderabad and read about it in the newspaper there.

The article said that the route from Belgaum to Panaji via Londa was recarpeted. If i would have read the article a day earlier, I would have taken the route on my way back. The article also said that the drive time would now be substantially reduced ...i guess 3 hours was this number in the article.

So as of now this info is based upon the deccan herald news story. I dont have a first hand experience to vouch. If anyone drives through that stretch, would appreciate an update.

Abhi: I am not aware of the Dharwad Londa section.

Maverick : Will try to post some pics in a few days...

Regards
Amit
amitsethi100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2007, 02:21   #40
Team-BHP Support

amit good to know that the travelogue helped you man thats the idea behind posting it.

its all fantastic news that the Londa stretch has been recarpeted. In fact when I went to Goa they were already working on the vast stretches of NH4A. Next time I will probably try that route.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 18:12   #41
Senior - BHPian

Default Goa to Hyderabad

Hey Zappo...wonderful writeup..nice one...

Jes need some advice in here...we(as in me & the wife!) intending on driving back from Goa to HYD...and how and what was the route that you took?Jes need a few answers from u

1.Can we do it on the same day?Leave Goa @ 5am..Or wud u recommend breakig the journey into 2?(Pls tel us we can do it in one hehe)

2.What was the route you took on your return journey?

3.Any stretch that you think we shouldnt be taking at this time of the year?Any alternative stretch?

I know this wud b repeating some of the stuff tht u have alrdy written...sowie for tht...but wud be really helpful if u cud shed any/some ligt on these aspects haha...

Rgds/Ranjit
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 19:23   #42
Team-BHP Support

Ranjit,

I have driven twice this route in the past 8 months. To and Fro

1) If you leave at 5am, there is a good possibility of reaching Hyd at 9pm in the night but it requires real hard and consistent speed maintaining drive. My suggestion would be to start at 9am/10am and reach Solapur by night ( 10 hours drive) and start early ( 6am) from Solapur and reach hyderabad by 11am. It's more relaxing this way

2) Zappo can guide you better here, I took the Hyd-Solapur-Kolapur-Sawantwadi-Panji route. Both ways, it was peaceful and awesome to say the least.

3) Whatever maybe the case, dont take the Ponda Ghat section especially now ( rainy season), it will be nothing short of a nightmare. Though, i heard that road has been laid up recently.

cheers and drive safe !!!
Old 20th June 2007, 15:02   #43
BHPian

Zappo: Awesome review man. Glad to know they've done up the roads in North K'taka.
Someone's written that he managed Hyd - Belgaum starting at 7 a.m. and reached at 2 p.m. Is this right? What route is the best?
I've got family in Belgaum and would love to visit it more often if this is true.
midlifecrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 16:50   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecrisis View Post
Zappo: Awesome review man. Glad to know they've done up the roads in North K'taka.
Someone's written that he managed Hyd - Belgaum starting at 7 a.m. and reached at 2 p.m. Is this right? What route is the best?
I've got family in Belgaum and would love to visit it more often if this is true.
you mean 7 hours???? Hyd-Goa drive will take a "minimum" of 15 hours which ever route you choose
Old 20th June 2007, 17:36   #45
Team-BHP Support

Ranjitp, it is definitely possible to drive down from Goa to Hyderabad in a day. We did it at the peak of summer and that too quite comfortably. However we had the luxury of three drivers amongst us. A single person may find it a bit monotonous and that can be a little dicey on such long journeys. However with milder sorroundings I think you should be able to do it.

To answer your questions:
* At this time of the year when the climate is pleasant you should be able to easily make it to Hyderabad even with one driver. We had 3 drivers but then it was helpful as the sorroundings were burning down in seering heat. We left Goa at around 4.45am in the morning and reached Hyderabad at 8pm, when the car was finally parked after having dropped everyone at home (criss-crossing the whole of hyderabad).

* I took the same route that I took while going to Goa. You can check that in the first post. Only that we did it in a day while coming back. Roads are good enough to let you do that. Although with rains you may need to be more cautious of your speeds. Otherwise roads were good enough to let us speed upto a cool 130kmph at times. Our average speed for the whole return journey was around 83kmph I guess.

* Avoidable stretch... well, amit posted that the Hukeri-Chikodi section is much better than the Sankeshwar-Chikodi section that we took. You can check this out. In general be careful of the ghats as you will get a lot of fog at this time of the year. trucks materialize out of nowhere at corners. Keep your low beam on, and preferably the fog lights as well. honk at each corner.

I think that should do. If you want to cover the stretch in a day try to leave Goa by 4.30am. Target reaching Belgaum by 1pm and break for lunch. From there till Jevargi should be a max of 2.5 hours (we took less than 2 hours) as the distance is 190kms. However the road here is a dream, with very sparse traffic. Try to be at Hyderabad outskirts (Patancheru) by 7pm-7.30pm max.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote