Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 29th June 2007, 11:40   #1
BHPian

Default A warning to people planning to drive to Kumaon in Uttaranchal

Hi,

The travel bug hit me again last week and I drove to Mukteshwar (my third drive in three months, two others being to Lansdowne and Narkanda).

Mukteshwar is about 60 KMs from Kathgodam, a road diversion from Bhowali takes you to Mukteshwar via Ramgarh. I searched a lot about it on internet and found very good review about it so decided to go there. I took Friday off, and thus it gave me three days.

We left my home at outskirts of Delhi at 6:00 AM. The road till Hapur is a dream, nice 4-lane highways, where you can easily drive uptp 130-140 KMPH. The roads from Hapur to Garh-mukteshwar os nothing short of nightmare. The road is non-exisitent, there are long stretches of road wide-enough only to pass one vehicle at a time. And the traffic is plain horrible.

The road from Garh-mukteshwar to Muradabad is a mixture of good and really bad. There is major construction going on (I think it's going on for more than 1.5 years without any major progress), the road at some stretches is too narrow and blockades-prone.

The Moradabad by-pass is good, although only 2-lane. Then the strech from Moradabad to Rampur also is just about OK, but no major problem.

Then the real nightmare starts, from Rampur till Rudrapur you'll find some patched of road between pits. At Bilaspur there is a bridge wide enough to let pass only one vehicle at a time, it'll take you more than one hour to cross this (This bridge was always there, but traffic was always well-managed therefore it never took more than 10 minutes to cross this, except this time ...).

From Rudrapur upwards the raod is good and the scenery beautiful, but by that time one is so tired and pissed-off to enjoy it.

So my advice is to avoid driving to Kumaon, instead go there by train, that's a more comfortable and sensible option.

P.S. Photos of the trip to follow.
P.P.S. Mukteshwar is really beautiful.

Cheers

Nitin

Last edited by ntomer : 29th June 2007 at 11:41.
ntomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2007, 11:42   #2
Team-BHP Support

You took the wrong route. The best way is to go from Moradabad towards corbett part and then take diversion towards Nainital/Kathgodam.
Thats the route we always take. Except for Hapur to Garh-Mukteshwar, the rest of the stretch is pretty good.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2007, 11:45   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
You took the wrong route. The best way is to go from Moradabad towards corbett part and then take diversion towards Nainital/Kathgodam.
Thats the route we always take. Except for Hapur to Garh-Mukteshwar, the rest of the stretch is pretty good.
Even for that route one has to drive till Mordabad. I could have avoided only the Rampur-Rudrapur stretch.

Corrent me if I am wrong, but isn't that route OK if you are going to Nainital or Ranikhet/Kausani. For Mukteshwar wouldn't that have been much longer?

Cheers

Nitin
ntomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2007, 11:51   #4
Team-BHP Support

Yes it would be, but if you take a diversion earlier to Kathgodam, then its okay.
You need not go till Ramnagar all the way.
Also this longer route is around 30kms longer, but in a 300km+ journey whats the harm. You save time and less abuse for your car.
As for Moradabad, you don't have an option. Long live NHAI
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote