Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2007, 11:42   #16
rks
BANNED

@mclaren1885, quite possibly the CRV was initially more towards the centre and attempted a last-minute panic swerve to left when it became clear that the SX4 was not going to budge. The impact could have pushed him off further, as you say.
Old 2nd July 2007, 11:44   #17
BHPian

Humyum, is that the deflated airbag seen in SX4 & CRV. Any info if anybody was hurt?
Old 2nd July 2007, 12:03   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabjarus View Post
Humyum, is that the deflated airbag seen in SX4 & CRV. Any info if anybody was hurt?
humyum has already mentioned
> the airbags in both the vehicles were deployed.
> nobody was hurt. in fact both the drivers came out of their vehicle and were discussing the next course of action in a very civilized manner.
Old 2nd July 2007, 12:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

@spadival- apparently the driver was pitch drunk and the heavy rains added to his voes and he could not see.
@rks- yeah if the CRV guy wanted he could have swerved and got out of the way but he too was on an ego trip.
Old 2nd July 2007, 14:37   #20
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Rks, dont you think its quite possible for the CRV to have been a little further to his right and on impact the CRV could have been dragged to his left?
One more thought that just occurred to me. Look at the broken glass pieces lying in front of the CRV in the second picture. These seem to be from the right headlamp of the CRV. Doesn't that suggest that the impact happened close to the location shown in the picture? Not 100% sure of this, though.
Old 2nd July 2007, 14:49   #21
Senior - BHPian

Nice Travelogue but really an eventful journey... Thankfully your presence of mind prevailed when the truck was heading u....

Looks like u are the one who has the habit of watching LIVE SHOWs on the highways....I think 3 so far for u (one headon of M800 which u mentioned a year back and 2 now)...

Abhi
Old 2nd July 2007, 14:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rks, dont you think its quite possible for the CRV to have been a little further to his right and on impact the CRV could have been dragged to his left?

clearly looks like it was the SX4 driver's fault. There is an unwritten law that the ascending vehicle always gets the right of way, instead the SX4 has gone beyond his way & swallowed the CRV's path as well. Must have been one dumb driver (Obviously driving without control) there to mow into the CRV like this.
Old 2nd July 2007, 15:05   #23
Team-BHP Support

If you look at the huge amount of road on the right it looks like the SX4 driver carrying too much speed into the corner then trying to compensate that by apexing the corner thereby going into oncoming path and couldnt avoid hitting the CRV. the CRV guy dint take evasive action as he thought the guy would move.
Old 2nd July 2007, 15:39   #24
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
There is an unwritten law that the ascending vehicle always gets the right of way
If you are talking about ghat sections, then its the other way round. Descending vehicles are given priority.
Old 2nd July 2007, 15:44   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
There is an unwritten law that the ascending vehicle always gets the right of way
If you are talking about ghat sections, then its the other way round. Descending vehicles are given priority.
The major sign boards on the ghat mention clearly that the vehicles going upward the slope should be given priority i.e. ascending vehicles should be given priority.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2007, 15:49   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Vehicles climbing the hills are given priority. Its logical.
Old 2nd July 2007, 15:58   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, It is a thumb rule, Vehicle going down (descending) should always make way for the ascending one...and it is applicable in ghats, hairpins, straight inclines anywhere....

Abhi
Old 2nd July 2007, 16:34   #28
BANNED

Right of way

Quote:
According to Motor Vehicle Act 1988 Section 207: Caution at road junction and give way:
On mountains road or steep roads vehicles traveling down hill shall give precedence to vehicle going up hill.

PS: RTO must ensure are valid license holders know the rules and Traffic police must ensure they follow these rule

PS: I wonder how many times our fellow members have been discourteous in wrongly believing down hill vehicles have priority
Old 2nd July 2007, 16:54   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
On mountains road or steep roads vehicles traveling down hill shall give precedence to vehicle going up hill.
This is from Bangalore City Police website: :: www.bangaloretrafficpolice.gov.in - Rules of the Road Regulations ::

25. VEHICLES GOING UPHILL TO BE GIVEN PRECEDENCE:
On mountain roads and steep roads, the driver of a motor vehicle traveling down hill shall give precedence to a vehicle going uphill wherever the road is not sufficiently wide to allow the vehicle to pass each other freely without danger, and stop the vehicle to the side of the road in order to allow any vehicle proceed in uphill to pass.

EDIT: BTW, the website lists the other rules. Considering how the rules are broken on roads, the list makes a funny reading.

Last edited by msdivy : 2nd July 2007 at 16:56.
Old 2nd July 2007, 17:05   #30
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Thanks for correcting me. My mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo
PS: I wonder how many times our fellow members have been discourteous in wrongly believing down hill vehicles have priority
If that was aimed at me let me be frank in saying that I am hardly ever discourteous to anyone on roads (be it cycle, auto, scooter, car, lorry). If not for others, I am more worried about my love getting hit. Maybe this will help you understand where I come from.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...-2007-a-2.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ed-ride-6.html

Most Viewed