Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 2nd July 2007, 17:44   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
humyum has already mentioned
> the airbags in both the vehicles were deployed.
> nobody was hurt. in fact both the drivers came out of their vehicle and were discussing the next course of action in a very civilized manner.
yepp.. with both airbags and egos deflated
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2007, 18:05   #32
Senior - BHPian

I dont find a single reason to blame the CRV guy..Any normal driver taking hair pins would find it a little nervous when they find a sudden appearance of a vehicle exactly at the pin-bend..
Another good example to emphasise the proper usage of the light& horn..
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2007, 18:25   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
yepp.. with both airbags and egos deflated
what else can you expect? when people can't let go off their egos even on a hilly hair-pin bend I guess this is the least they can expect.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2007, 19:25   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
clearly looks like it was the SX4 driver's fault. There is an unwritten law that the ascending vehicle always gets the right of way, instead the SX4 has gone beyond his way & swallowed the CRV's path as well. Must have been one dumb driver (Obviously driving without control) there to mow into the CRV like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
This is from Bangalore City Police website: :: www.bangaloretrafficpolice.gov.in - Rules of the Road Regulations ::

25. VEHICLES GOING UPHILL TO BE GIVEN PRECEDENCE:
On mountain roads and steep roads, the driver of a motor vehicle traveling down hill shall give precedence to a vehicle going uphill wherever the road is not sufficiently wide to allow the vehicle to pass each other freely without danger, and stop the vehicle to the side of the road in order to allow any vehicle proceed in uphill to pass.
My bad, looks like the law has been written already & i didn't know about it.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2007, 19:34   #35
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
I dont find a single reason to blame the CRV guy..Any normal driver taking hair pins would find it a little nervous when they find a sudden appearance of a vehicle exactly at the pin-bend..
Another good example to emphasise the proper usage of the light& horn..
Certainly the accident was caused by the SX4 driver and he must take 100% responsibility. But this was not a blind curve as you seem to be thinking. Both vehicles were in full view of each other and it was daytime (maybe within an hour after 2-00 PM). Still, if the SX4 made a sudden move into the CRV's road space the CRV driver may not have had the time to react. But as per humyum's description and photos, the CRV driver had the time and the space to take evasive action, but chose not to do so or left it until too late. That can only be attributed to misplaced priorities or terrible misjudgement/inattentiveness.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2007, 19:43   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Both of them are okay.They go to a side and start talking decently without any gaali galoch meanwhile i take pictures of their crash
Maybe they were just friends & testing out each other's vehicles to find out which is a better build.
Old 2nd July 2007, 20:03   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
My bad, looks like the law has been written already & i didn't know about it.
Yeah, I was wondering why you said unwritten. it's even written on the roads itself, not just the rulebooks.

BUT, I always wonder will it not be difficult for the descending vehicle to back up, in case of a negotiation? at times i have seen the ascending drivers (trucks, buses) backing out, and it seems logical too.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2007, 20:22   #38
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
BUT, I always wonder will it not be difficult for the descending vehicle to back up, in case of a negotiation? at times i have seen the ascending drivers (trucks, buses) backing out, and it seems logical too.
Apart from this, incase of brake failure people who are descending will find it harder to negotiate turns than the ones ascending. And normally most of the brake failures happen while descending due to excessive use of brakes.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2007, 20:29   #39
Senior - BHPian

Brake failure on an ascending vehicle could be double the trouble. But this rule is meant for averting disasters & not for disasters waiting to happen with brake failures.
Old 2nd July 2007, 20:36   #40
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
The descending vehicle is supposed to stop well in advance at a suitable place and let the ascending vehicle pass uninterrupted, i.e., a stage where the vehicles stop and one of them has to back up should ideally not be reached in the first place. I think the idea here is that it is not advisable for the ascending vehicle to stop and then make a hill start up a steep incline; some of our loaded heavy vehicles may not even have the power to do so, and it can be dangerous as well. Considering the pathetically slow movement of our loaded lorries even up the mild Lonawala ghat road on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway, I can see why it is not advisable to make them stop and then start up an incline.

Last edited by rks : 2nd July 2007 at 20:38.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2007, 20:39   #41
Team-BHP Support

This rule was formed mainly for trucks. What happens is that usually the laden trucks have a great deal of difficulty climbing up ghats. If they were to lose momentum it would be very difficult to get moving again. So the vehicles going up get priority so they dont lose that momentum. The vehicles going down should wait when such a situation arises and allow the vehicle to climb up easily. For a laden truck to start up after it has stopped is very difficult.

This I heard from a very experienced driver of mine who was also a truck driver from Mumbai bangalore route.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2007, 21:29   #42
BANNED

Nothing personal. Since RTO doesn't ensure every license holder is fully acquaint with traffic rules, individuals must take the intiative, get a copy of traffic rules and read it atleast once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Thanks for correcting me. My mistake.

If that was aimed at me let me be frank in saying that I am hardly ever discourteous to anyone on roads (be it cycle, auto, scooter, car, lorry). If not for others, I am more worried about my love getting hit. Maybe this will help you understand where I come from.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...-2007-a-2.html (What it takes to stay away from your loved one? A TRUE LOVE STORY in 2007 !)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ed-ride-6.html (What it takes to own a modded ride ??)
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2007, 22:50   #43
BHPian

the mumbai pune mahahbaleshwar route is easier even though its 30 km longer u get good speedson the expressway and theres a short stretch of one way ghats ( no oncomming traffic) fun speeding there
paras211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2007, 18:00   #44
Senior - BHPian

Nice travelogue Humyum !
I couldn't understand despite all my mental calisthenics as to how you escaped the head on with the truck byt throwing your steed into reverse and scraping the hatch left rear (?) on the truck behind and landing up on the right side of the road...I may be missing something here ! Lets take that up sometime later !
However I am really glad that you are safe !
Guderian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2007, 19:37   #45
BHPian

I think These Ego problem are common with truck drivers.Have experienced this in Bangalore-Mangalore ghat section.They tend to turn the truck towards the overtaking car at the last moment
zoomingbhat is offline   Reply With Quote