Senior - BHPian

Default Rendevouz Coastal Karnataka...!

Hi ,
Finally thought of tapping a few lines on the great drive I had in
May after taking two weeks of chutti !
It was after a fairly long time that I was taking leave and did want
to do something different and so the wife came up with this idea of
driving down to Bangalore and doing a spin of coastal Karnataka...and
I am glad we did it ! I drove my Scorpio CRDe.

1. Mumbai - Bangalore Run - Left Mumbai on 18th May at 4.05 am - Ran
past the towns of Pune,
Satara,Kolhapur,Belgaum,Dharwar,Hubli,Chitradurg,T umkur...1050 KMs in
all...Reached Bangalore by 5.30 pm...the final mile of Yeshwantpur to
my Bro's place in Indiranagar took an hour ! The entire route was
fantastic...part of the Golden Quadrilateral...dual carriageway
throughout...a few stretches are bad where the work is still on after
Rannebennur and some parts close to Tumkur. Plenty of toll booths
along the way...almost 450 bucks worth of toll tickets. Good Relaince
fuel pumps all along the way with A -1 plazas for lunch etc. Took
almost no breaks except for lunch at Hubli A-1 (30 mts) and fuel &
leak breaks (3 breaks - 10 minutes each). This with 3 kids was
great ! We tried and carried all possible victuals - fruits, juices,
water, K - rations ! Was able to do 130/140 KMPH for long stretches.
(NH4 all through)
Was in Bangalore till 23 May. Visited all my old haunts,
school,college and what not...was a quite a nostalgic run about...
2. Bangalore - Mangalore - Udupi - 23 May: 418 KMs - Left Bangalore
at 4.15 am and reached Mangalore by about 11.00 am and Udupi by 12.30
pm. Roads were fairly good with great scenery...some stretches in the
ghats were pathetic...there were no roads at all ! (NH 4 upto Neelmangala;NH 48 toMangalore and NH 17 to Ududpi). Was able to do 100 for long stretches.
3. Udupi - Kollur - Udupi -24 May: 120 KMs - Wonderful internal roads
(state highway) and a scenic drive to the Kollur Mookambika temple.
4. Udupi - Mumbai via Hubli - 25 May: 974 KMs: Started at 4.10 am. It
was one of my most memorable drives, through some really soul
stirring scenery. First went along the NH 17 upto Ankola and then
turned right on to NH 63 upto Hubli and then back on to NH 4 to
Mumbai. The drive on NH 17 upto Ankola was very, very pretty (with
rivers, lakes and estuaries all along) and thereafter on NH 63 it was
densely wooded stretches on both sides of the road. The road
condition was very good...though some traffic of heavy iron ore
trucks was present. Well once NH 4 came up at Hubli it was a very
business like run back to Mumbai. Reached Mumbai at 5.30 pm and home
by 6.00 pm.
Was to have also gone to Goa but ultimately did not, for the weather was very hot indeed...
The Scorpio was magnificient throughout...not a single beat missed !
Did 140 KMPH for long stretches with great ease and it could have
gone faster but I didn't want to try it and push my luck. The average
was around 11 KMPL when I was doing 140 but when I did 80/90 KMPH on
NH 17 & 63 it was around 14.5 KMPL. As mentioned earlier I did a
total of 2715.6 KMs. And topped it off with the drive to Pune on
Sunday for the Pune meet ! Filled up Reliance Diesel all through the
trip and in Bangalore city it was Hi Speed of BP.
I covered totally 2715 KMs in 8 days.

An update - post the monsoons the NH 48 is again ruined - especially the ghat section. Also the condition of NH 63 is also suspect as per the last information I recd about it.

Guderian
Guderian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007, 08:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Account Guderian !!

In some other section, people were debating with Kumar that how can he do Mum - Blr in 12.5 hrs nonstop.... I think you have seconded that, it is indeed possible to do that with family (u broke in between for lunch and still did this in 13.5 hours)...

On more query, How is the Ankola road now? Heard that it was not the best of the shape...Although you mentioned a bit, pls elaborate on the timings from Ankola - Hubli, and the traffic when u did it?

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007, 09:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post

On more query, How is the Ankola road now? Heard that it was not the best of the shape...Although you mentioned a bit, pls elaborate on the timings from Ankola - Hubli, and the traffic when u did it?

Abhi
Hi Abhi - Thanks.
Infact Kumar,who is a good friend and a fellow Scorpio owner,egged me on to a days run into Bangalore - very possible.
Coming to the Ankola-Hubli run - I started off from Udupi (Malpe Beach actually- no I wasn't lying on the beach early in the morning like a beach bum - but was at the Resort there ! ) at 4.00 am. Reached Ankola by about 7.00 am.Had to drive slow as the pre-monsoon showers had turned the road trecherous and visiblity poor, or else I guess one could do it in about 2-2.5 hours. Now coming to the Ankola - Hubli bit -on reaching Ankola at 7.00 am we took a pit stop at Kamat Upachar on the highway and after breakfast we left Ankola and after a few meters (less than a KM) took a right onto NH 63.
The day (25/5/07)we drove on NH 63 the road was great and rather deserted (except for the odd iron truck from Bellary).The distance from Ankola to Hubli is 139 KMs. I was in Hubli by about 10.00 am.Extremely scenic drive on NH63. However some placed the road/tar surface was eroded or totally pushed into the ground surface causing heavy dips - thanks to the heavy lorries and poor workmanship on the tar work.Like I mentioned, the traffic was fairly thin when I did it - possibly because it was early in the day - may be later on it picks up. It was told it gets pretty heavy during the day - mainly iron ore lorries/heavy trucks. There's a Reliance Pump near Yellapur about 90 KMs from Hubli. Other pumps of IOC etc are there on the NH 63 but I preferred RP - though I didn't fill up there and went on straight to Hubli by pass RP.
After the recent monsoon activity over the area the road has deteriorated quite a bit is my information.
Old 5th July 2007, 10:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Abhi !
Had sent in a detailed response but it doesn't seem to have got posted...let me recollect again briefly -
- Kumar happens to be a good friend,and a fellow Scorpio owner and the person who egged me on to making it in one day to Bangalore.
- We set off from Udupi at 4.00 am (Malpe) and reached Ankola at 7.00 am. Had to drive a little slower than usual due to darkness and pre monsoon showers that made the roads rather trecherous. In normal conditions could have made it in about 2.5 hours.
-Took a pit stop at Kamat Upachar at Ankola and set off after breakfast at 7.30 am.
-After a few meters (less than a KM) took a right turn on to NH 63. The distance between Ankola and Hubli is 139 KMs and I was in Hubli by about 9.45-10.00 am.
- The day I drove (25/5/07) the road was in an excellent condition though in some places the road was eroded and in some spots the tar surface pressed into the ground surface - possibly due to poor wokmanship or heavy iron ore trucks. It caused huge dips suddenly and a air flight for the Scorp for a few seconds !
- Traffic at that time on NH 63 was light the odd iron ore lorry/heavy truck lumbering on towards Mangalore.Hardly any movement towards Hubli.However I suppose later on in the day the traffic would be heavy.
- As per my last info after the recent monsoon activity the the NH 63 is again in a shoddy state.
Old 5th July 2007, 12:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

both of your post got posted....as u r newbie (less than 50 posts), your post gets approved by moderator(s), hence u r not able to see ur post at runtime....

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 18:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

EDIT: I got the update I needed in another thread. Please ignore below post

Relatively old thread.. But instead of creating a new thread, I wanted some updates as I am planning to drive down to Mangalore (rather Moodabidri) from Pune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Thanks Abhi !
- The day I drove (25/5/07) the road was in an excellent condition though in some places the road was eroded and in some spots the tar surface pressed into the ground surface - possibly due to poor wokmanship or heavy iron ore trucks. It caused huge dips suddenly and a air flight for the Scorp for a few seconds !
- Traffic at that time on NH 63 was light the odd iron ore lorry/heavy truck lumbering on towards Mangalore.Hardly any movement towards Hubli.However I suppose later on in the day the traffic would be heavy.

Thats a bit of a shocker to me !! Last time I did this stretch, there was no road to speak of.. quite literally. And I was wishing Bellary runs out of Iron ore soon.

Any idea how is the Ankola-Yellapur-Hubli stretch currently? From the updates above, it seeems to be fine in June-July.. but those iron ore trucks are capable of reducing an airport runway to a dirt road in days !!

Last edited by spadival : 23rd October 2007 at 19:03.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 19:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

There are enough people from this area on the forum to have a Konkan-Malabar Meet somewhere. Perhaps in Manipal?
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote