Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 14th April 2008, 09:13   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default My Birthday hang out at Nagarhole!

Apr 07, 2008

We wanted to visit Nagarhole sometime and was waiting for good roads from last 4 years.

After kvish (special thanks to him) visited same place and reported about good road condition we got inspired and booked green retreat at kutta homestay the best one so far we have come acorss!

As usual packed tons of luggages (this is one of the reasons I baught Innova) and left home at 6:35 AM headed to mysore road.

Had breakfast at Kaadu Mane befiore Bidadi quiet ok place. My new driver who joined me this month cruised with 100+ speeds but never crossed 120kmph. We left 4 lane road after sriranga patna by 9AM.

Based on the map and printout I have taken, we could find easy roads more easily. We stopped at forest gate before nagarhole and signed the register with details and proceeded, Within 2 km we spoted couple of elephants but we were scared to stop and take photograph. Here onwards any animal we find we started stopping and clicking photograph from the vehicle.

Exploring Karnataka Place after Place - With Pictures-dscf1489.jpg

Exploring Karnataka Place after Place - With Pictures-dscf1502.jpg

Exploring Karnataka Place after Place - With Pictures-100_2756.jpg

Exploring Karnataka Place after Place - With Pictures-dscf1506.jpg

Exploring Karnataka Place after Place - With Pictures-dscf1533.jpg

Exploring Karnataka Place after Place - With Pictures-dscf1545.jpg

Exploring Karnataka Place after Place - With Pictures-dscf1552.jpg

Exploring Karnataka Place after Place - With Pictures-dscf1562.jpg

Very nice scenic roads with animals wow amazing experience! We reached HomeStay at Kutta exactly 12 noon and decided to freshen up and had tasty lunch.

We rested for a bit and headed to safari in nagarhole at 4pm but came back homestay by spoting hardly any animals(deer, bison).

Owner of the homestay had promised us to take us for Jeep ride night safari. There we could spot animal, Bison. Time was already 10PM and we decided to call it a day!

Exploring Karnataka Place after Place - With Pictures-dscf1613.jpg

Apr 08, 2008: Thats my birthday! 31 years old I am. My wife wished me at 12:30PM. Morning we got up at 6AM and headed to waynaad Jeep Safari.

Few photos from that.

Exploring Karnataka Place after Place - With Pictures-100_2808.jpg

Exploring Karnataka Place after Place - With Pictures-dscf1651.jpg

Exploring Karnataka Place after Place - With Pictures-dscf1667.jpg

Exploring Karnataka Place after Place - With Pictures-dscf1678.jpg

Exploring Karnataka Place after Place - With Pictures-dscf1679.jpg

Exploring Karnataka Place after Place - With Pictures-dscf1684.jpg

Exploring Karnataka Place after Place - With Pictures-dscf1695.jpg

I wil be back with final part very soon.

Regards,

Ravi.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Karnataka Place after Place - With Pictures-dscf1709.jpg  

Exploring Karnataka Place after Place - With Pictures-dscf1716.jpg  

Exploring Karnataka Place after Place - With Pictures-dscf1721.jpg  

ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2008, 09:45   #47
Senior - BHPian

Default Final Part - Exploring Nagarhole

Exploring Karnataka Place after Place - With Pictures-dscf1726.jpg

We decided to head to Iruppu Falls which is 10km from home stay. only bad roads we could spot on the way but doable.

Exploring Karnataka Place after Place - With Pictures-dscf1745.jpg

Exploring Karnataka Place after Place - With Pictures-dscf1818.jpg

We need to walk for a kilometer with climbing 70 odd steps there to reach the bottom of the water falls. Its small one but very neat and nice to play around.

My daughter played there for half an hour and we came down from the hill.

It was already 11AM and we travelled to home stay and ate early lunch at 12:10PM.

In homestay there is one sweat parrot, my daughter played a lot there with the talking bird and lawn.

Exploring Karnataka Place after Place - With Pictures-dscf1731.jpg

We left Kutta at 12:45PM and while crossing nagarhole forest we could few more animals.

Exploring Karnataka Place after Place - With Pictures-dscf1928.jpg

My daughter kept asking me where is tiger, lepord ? Fed up by seeing lots of deers she started singing "Nee Jinke Marinaa, Nee Jinke Marinaa, Nee Jinke Jinke Mareena!"

We reached our home by 5:40PM with amazing trip with excellant road condition first time ever! Thanks for blre - mysore 4 lane and improved road around hunsur - nagarhole.

Short Summary:

Innova Petrol G3.
Totoal distance covered: 498km
FE with 20% AC on: 10.4kmpl
Distance from Bangalore to Nagarhole: 220km
Nagarhole to Kutta: 12km
Nagarhole to Irruppu falls: 10km
Kutta to Wayand safari gate: 3km
HomeStay: Green Retreat - Home Good place.
Cost: 24 hrs stay 2800/- (accomadation for 1 couple and kid with veg. food) and my driver too!
Road condition: Excellant except Irruppu Falls.
Safari at nagarhole: 95/- per person, Jeep safari at awaynad 600/- and few hundreds towards entry fees and guide.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 14th April 2008, 09:52   #48
Senior - BHPian

Excellant. Especially, the 4th one, like Devar Flims
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2008, 12:02   #49
Senior - BHPian

Hey Ravi,
Fantastic pics n excelent writeup. U have almost covered entire south, east, west Karnataka.
Hope to see some pics of North karnataka tooooo
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2008, 12:47   #50
Senior - BHPian

Ravi, excellent pics and belated happy birthday

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2008, 13:06   #51
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics and narration Ravi (as usual). Man, how do you do so many trips? I feel the animals are better spotted in Waynad rather than Nagerhole. The same thing happened to me when we visited a couple of years back. We saw more animals in Waynad rather than Nagerhole. And Happy Birthday (belatedly)...
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2008, 14:08   #52
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Team! Having studied Engineering in Bellary 10 years back, I have taste of north Karnataka and I am waiting for good time to explore the places there.

I will be covering Agumbe, Sringeri, Kudremukh, Horanadu in couple of weeks while coming back to Bangalore since in couple of days I am travelling to my home town costal karnataka to attend at least dozen functions! This time my Innova might have to carry my 8 year old refreigerator while coming back it will have full of my family people with packs of local special food items and to be distributed to my relatives here in Bangalore. So hoping to come up with 20 days of big travelogue!

Since I use airtel gprs, tataindicom, bsnl dial up internet and daily 3 hours working even If I am on leave would make me go anywhere anytime! Thanks to my (client) BOSS trust he has on me and special thanks to my employees who work hard with more responsibility when I am on leave.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 15th April 2008, 16:26   #53
BHPian

Cool pictures Ravi, looks like you had a super time there!
Spotting an elephant at night would have been really scary I suppose!
BTW, is that the Malabar squirrel on the tree?

You seem to be packed with lot more travelling in the near future. Lucky you! Enjoy! and update this travelogue too
kvish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2008, 18:43   #54
Senior - BHPian

Default Trekk in Nishaane gudda near Sirsi

Recently when we visited my in laws house I decided to trekk in forest and I have at least 4 options to choose, and we decided easy one. Thats Nishaane Gudda.

Story Behind Nishaane Gudda: Found by Britesh, from hill top one can see all nearby surrounding places like Sirsi, Yaana, Yellapur - Ankola highway, Kaiga and many more areas. This hilltop had some sosts of lights/flag hence would give direction to travellors and they can figure out direction they are in.

I called my usual Jeep guy and he arrived at 9am and I started with local chaps.

Name:  100_2687.JPG
Views: 3392
Size:  101.6 KB

It involved tarr road and then off roading where we reached hill bottom.

Name:  100_2693.JPG
Views: 3392
Size:  126.0 KB

Jeep guy parked the vehicle and we started 3 km trekking to climb hill top.

Name:  100_2696.JPG
Views: 3372
Size:  134.8 KB

It was pretty simple trekk not much risk involved but was good experience to walk thru. forest, valley.

Name:  DSCF1303.JPG
Views: 3312
Size:  187.4 KB

view of the Hill from halfway trekk.

Name:  DSCF1304.JPG
Views: 3347
Size:  159.1 KB

We reached hill top in 40 minute of walking/trekking.

Name:  100_2702.JPG
Views: 3314
Size:  113.6 KB

Name:  100_2698.JPG
Views: 3299
Size:  122.3 KB

We spent around 1 hour there saw rabbit, butterflies. Found some forest fruits it remembers my child hood. We packed some for my daughter.

Locals arrange festival Jaatra once in a year and they conduct few cultural programs. I am thrilled how they would have carried water and other materials to the top of the hill.

Name:  100_2724.JPG
Views: 3224
Size:  130.4 KB

Return Journey started.

Name:  100_2704.JPG
Views: 3215
Size:  135.0 KB

We saw scorpion as well.

Name:  100_2713.JPG
Views: 3236
Size:  155.2 KB

We reached home by 12 noon, thanks god it was cool day so no tiredness.

Next time when I visit I am trekking in deep forest where one can spot wild animals!

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 7th May 2008, 18:47   #55
Senior - BHPian

Hey Ravi! Those were nice pics and am sure you would have had good time with your family. Its been too long that we communicated after our 26th Jan meet @ Innovative Film City. You are surely exploring Karnataka with so much of enthu, keep it going.
VJ_MAVRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2008, 19:06   #56
Team-BHP Support

Hi Ravi, nice report there. If you are swinging by Udupi, we should meet.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2008, 19:14   #57
Senior - BHPian

Default 4 day Mega trip while returning from my hometown visit :)

This is travelogue involving 700km journey and 3 night stay in various places.

Car: Innova G3
FE: 10.9kmpl with 40% AC on
Distance: Sirsi - Teerthahalli: 160km, Teerthahalli - Kundadri - Agumbe: 60km, Agumbe - sringeri: 30km, Sringeri - Kudremukha - kalasa: 80km, Kalasa - horanadu - belur - hassan - bangalore - 350km.
Fuel Used: BP speed.
Members: my family and my parents.

Day1: Near teerthahalli homestay called vihangama: Very neat and clean with excellant food. They took us in boat ride in the morning in Tunga river to see cave type structure, it was not bad place to visit. I suggest stay in this resort if you visit agumbe and nearby places. This resort is very well maintained.

We left Sirsi at 2pm after attending wedding function, Reached Siddapura and 10 minutes break for tea. Took right turn from sagar towards hosanagara, Road is excellant till hosanagara and from there 30km bad stretch we travelled towards teerthahalli. From Teerthahalli resort is 4km away in shimoga road. Covered 160km in 210minutes. Checked into the resort at 6PM and took rest then play in garden. They served excellant dinner and in the morning very good breakfast. This is the best resort even compared with 5 star places I visited so far.

Cost: 1500 rs for 1 room with double bed.

Few pictures.
Attached Images

Last edited by ravibhat : 7th May 2008 at 19:19.
Old 7th May 2008, 19:48   #58
Senior - BHPian

Default Day2: teerthahalli - Agumbe

We checked out at 9am from vihangama and headed towards agumbe, 8km before agumbe took left turn towards Kundadri hill, last 4 km involved lot of ghat/curves in forest. My driver had to put 1st gear many times. We reached hill top and surprised to catch great green scenary even in summer.

Name:  DSCF2356.JPG
Views: 6362
Size:  168.6 KB

Name:  DSCF2364.JPG
Views: 3275
Size:  157.4 KB

Name:  DSCF2367.JPG
Views: 3608
Size:  157.7 KB

After spending 1 hour in the hill, we travelled towards Agumbe to check into malgudi days home owned by kasturi akka, the moment we entered the place it reminded us typical village house. This is not commercial place to stay, they didn't even ask any fixed rates for accomadation and food. I had booked this place because my parents expect homely automsphere.

We adjusted somehow to not so clean room, considerring food is quiet good and they were homely to interact.

My dad saw school going kids there in that house (house name is Doddamane which is 110 years old, over 100 people used to stay there 50 even years back.) and started asking them questions and puzzles. Every one had great time with him!

It was cloudy day so I knew no chance to see sunset but still decided to visit the places. We first roamed around agumbe in the forest and spotted lot of police with guns.

Name:  DSCF2427.JPG
Views: 3229
Size:  167.7 KB

Name:  DSCF2435.JPG
Views: 3099
Size:  124.4 KB

We waited untill 6:30 and decided to return, scenary was nice in the valley but no sunset.

We called the day after having nice dinner.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 7th May 2008, 20:12   #59
Senior - BHPian

Default Day 3 Sringeri - kudremukha - kalasa - horanadu - best part fo the travelogue

We left Agumbe at 8:30AM and reached Sringeri within 40 minutes drive. Visited temple and Tunga river, clean place to visit.

Name:  DSCF2462.JPG
Views: 3134
Size:  149.8 KB

Name:  DSCF2463.JPG
Views: 3073
Size:  159.6 KB

Name:  DSCF2470.JPG
Views: 3473
Size:  164.2 KB

Name:  DSCF2532.JPG
Views: 3014
Size:  140.8 KB

After taking blessings in sringeri headed towards kudremukha and drive was nice, Please watch out for traffic because single road drive needs sound horn and slow driving. Road side land is more than 20 cm deep. i don't understand why government don't make at least 2 lane in such busy roads. Scenaray was amazing once we enter kudremukha area.

Name:  DSCF2563.JPG
Views: 3033
Size:  146.7 KB

Name:  DSCF2580.JPG
Views: 3021
Size:  139.7 KB

Name:  DSCF2613.JPG
Views: 3049
Size:  143.4 KB

Name:  100_3081.JPG
Views: 3033
Size:  91.9 KB

Name:  DSCF2638.JPG
Views: 3251
Size:  122.3 KB

I had booked silent valley resort near kalasa and we reached the place at 1pm and had lunch and took rest for 1 hour. Its again nice place with new management rooms are clean and neat and food is good as well.

Name:  DSCF2725.JPG
Views: 3023
Size:  151.6 KB

My daughter found swimming pond and we had to take her there. she is 3 and half years old don't know swimming but she don't care, without looking back she is ready to jump into the water! Me and my dad trained her little bit how to swim. she enjoyed every moment of swimming.

In the evening we visited Horanadu Annapoorneshwari Devi Temple and offered prayers.

Name:  DSCF2689.JPG
Views: 9054
Size:  155.4 KB

Name:  DSCF2700.JPG
Views: 4064
Size:  165.5 KB

Next day checked out from the resort at 9am and headed towards bangalore and 60km road between horanaadu to belur is not good. here and there very bad road for sure. From belur road is excellant untill bangalore. Filled bp speed petrol in belur thanks to sushruta to guide me find good bunk. Had lunch at sri krishna, hassan thanks to akroy to help me choose good hotel.

We visited Adi Chunchanagiri on the way, its very nice place too. We reached bangalore by 6pm since we took lot of break in between.

To summarize: Very well planned family trip which involved all in places! Garden, boat river cave ride, water falls, hill top, scenary, sunset(un fortunately spotted only clouds), Temples hence it entertained every member of the family which involved 3 years kid to 58 years old people.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 7th May 2008, 20:25   #60
Senior - BHPian

Thank you VJ and Samurai We will meet soon. I am visiting Mangalore area after this rainy season. Will definately inform you well in advance before my visit. Its over 3 years I visited Mangalore area. I hope roads (NH17, NH48) will be better by this year end.

Regards,

Ravi.