Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 24th August 2007, 00:30   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Amazing! Sounds interesting. Could be a lot of fun actually. Let me see, what info I can dig out.
wifey just approved the trip . In fact she is already excited and has requested you to make this trip a reality...
BlackPearl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2007, 00:39   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
wifey just approved the trip . In fact she is already excited and has requested you to make this trip a reality...
I thought you had filed for bankruptcy ? Thinking of taking a loan for this trip, eh ?
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2007, 00:41   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
I thought you had filed for bankruptcy ? Thinking of taking a loan for this trip, eh ?
actually banking on Zappo
Old 24th August 2007, 00:54   #34
Team-BHP Support

Haa haaa haaaa... at this moment my wife is fast asleep after a day's hard grind in office. Let me talk to her tomorrow. I would love to see her reaction Shez been telling me of making this one trip for so long. Only bugbear will be the leave part of it. Lets keep our fingers crossed.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2007, 08:25   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Amazing! Sounds interesting. Could be a lot of fun actually. Let me see, what info I can dig out.
Dont take NH34, take Nh2 to Darjeeling More (20km before Durgapur), turn right for Siuri, another 150km of good roads will take you to moregram on NH34 via Siuri, Rampurhat, Takipur. On NH34, farakka, malda, it merge to NH31, siliguri...
NH31/31C: Siliguri - Alipurduar - Bongaigaon - Guwahati - Dispur - Shillong

I have a friend who is from Dhuburi, he was telling that the NH is ok but you should avoid night driving as you pass through forests..

For more information, PM Sudpto-Steam and hvkumar.

My 2 cents
Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2007, 10:30   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Dont take NH34, take Nh2 to Darjeeling More (20km before Durgapur), turn right for Siuri, another 150km of good roads will take you to moregram on NH34 via Siuri, Rampurhat, Takipur. On NH34, farakka, malda, it merge to NH31, siliguri...
NH31/31C: Siliguri - Alipurduar - Bongaigaon - Guwahati - Dispur - Shillong

I have a friend who is from Dhuburi, he was telling that the NH is ok but you should avoid night driving as you pass through forests..

For more information, PM Sudpto-Steam and hvkumar.

My 2 cents
Abhi
a few days ago a bridge on NH34 has broken down killing several people.
Old 24th August 2007, 11:30   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulvilas View Post

Hey Greatdrive..Did you by any chance study in Tenga Valley? I was there too...Dad was posted there and i was a student of Kendriya Vidyalaya...I remember our school trips to Rupa for inter school competition...The mighty inclines on the way to Bomdila and Tawang...

Welcome to Arunachal Pradesh, The land of the Rising Sun

Rahul.
Hi Rahul,
Nice to find a schoolmate here, Yes I did study in KV Tenga valley.
But that was just for a few months. Did my 8th class fro KV Rupa.
That was long back in 1987 but the memories of the place is still fresh.
greatDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2007, 14:09   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
a few days ago a bridge on NH34 has broken down killing several people.
You cannot ignore NH34, it is the link with North East... exactly which place is this collapse happen?

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2007, 14:44   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
You cannot ignore NH34, it is the link with North East... exactly which place is this collapse happen?

Abhi
yup I know it cannot be avoided. it is giving me shudders thinking that I have crossed that brdige 4 times and that too not long back !!!

This place is near Dalkhola.
Old 25th August 2007, 01:26   #40
Senior - BHPian

Volvo India had approached NHAI and the WB Govt for widening and surfacing of NH34. Is anyone aware of any status on that. NH34 has been identified as a key connector. But in contrast to the NH2 and NH6, its nothing.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 01:41   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Volvo India had approached NHAI and the WB Govt for widening and surfacing of NH34. Is anyone aware of any status on that. NH34 has been identified as a key connector. But in contrast to the NH2 and NH6, its nothing.
maybe Volvo did this after I saw one of their buses standing crippled on the NH34 in December 2006 due to the wonderful road conditions after the rain and flood
Old 25th August 2007, 01:53   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
maybe Volvo did this after I saw one of their buses standing crippled on the NH34 in December 2006 due to the wonderful road conditions after the rain and flood
I had been to Berhampore in Dec '06, and as usual was toying around behind a very enthusiastic Indica owner. In the enthusiasm, he was flying over the craters, some of which I had fallen into!!

On the way back was held by "Krishi jomi bachao" comitee. Stood near my car hiding the office logo! In making up for lost time and a little girl in very bad mood, car saw a few more craters and from then onwards did not care.

Just came back and replaced the front shockers.
Old 25th August 2007, 02:02   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
I had been to Berhampore in Dec '06, and as usual was toying around behind a very enthusiastic Indica owner. In the enthusiasm, he was flying over the craters, some of which I had fallen into!!

On the way back was held by "Krishi jomi bachao" comitee. Stood near my car hiding the office logo! In making up for lost time and a little girl in very bad mood, car saw a few more craters and from then onwards did not care.

Just came back and replaced the front shockers.
Hmmm.. I went to Gangtok during Christmas in our alto loaded with four adults. It was a horrible experience. while returning it took me 17 hours to reach Bakreshwar from Gangtok. Average speed from Malda to Farakka was 10 Kmph !!! The alto did not have power steering and pain in my shoulders lasted for three weeks after that horrendous journey . The only positive side was that I started respecting my wife's alto after the trip
Old 25th August 2007, 02:26   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmmm.. I went to Gangtok during Christmas in our alto loaded with four adults. It was a horrible experience. while returning it took me 17 hours to reach Bakreshwar from Gangtok. Average speed from Malda to Farakka was 10 Kmph !!! The alto did not have power steering and pain in my shoulders lasted for three weeks after that horrendous journey . The only positive side was that I started respecting my wife's alto after the trip
That was definitely a pain. Something that does not let me go out for ultra long drives. My domain pretty much remains upto Kharagpur on one side and Maithon or Messanjore on another.

However, it will be interesting to know, that even 7 years from now. The roads were far worse. But we were a lot more enthusiastic. I recall my Dad burning up Bangriposi thru to Jashipur on our way to Hirakud (Sambalpur) via Kenonjhargarh ghat at night. That too after making thru Baharagora border which was closed (as it was the day after the late Rajiv Gandhi's assasination) and making the roadblock thru an actual farm. That night I will never forget. Trucks Dipping frantically from the opposite side, cattle running away from the exhaust note.

Last edited by 1100D : 25th August 2007 at 02:28.
Old 25th August 2007, 02:49   #45
Senior - BHPian

Anyway sorry for Hijacking the thread. How is the stretch between Siliguri and Guwahati? Last time when we were there, we had a NHPC driver doing us company, he was also talking about safety issues of driving in a WB car into those parts.

One more thing, when you make this trip, please have Kaziranga on you agenda, and especially their Forest Resorts. You can also savour driving Gypsy's there (and not to mention, in the way, you would like it). We saw elephants right in front of our motorcade apart from the usual Rhinos. Its really a lovely experience. The beauty of those parts is unparalleled.

Last edited by 1100D : 25th August 2007 at 02:52.