Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 30th August 2007, 11:39   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
I shall be doing the masingudi drive soon.
Let me know if you are aware about any resorts around masingudi itself, I beleive that would be a real good experiance...
I stayed in Monarch (owned by Mithun). The rooms are very decent, each built on stilts, having private gardens. The staffs are very friendly (esp folks in the kitchen, you'll know the value of it when you have little kid with you). It is well maintained, and you can spend a lot of time in the resort itself. IIRC they charged us 2000/- per day for the room, plus food. We called them for a booking, they provided bank a/c details and we paid some advance as online transfer. Later called to provide the details and confirm the booking.

Kousik
kousik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2007, 19:08   #32
BHPian

@Abhi,

Kaushik is right, Tusker Trail and Bush Betta are just next left from the Bandipur Safari booking,, I guess its about 100 Mts from the Safari booking area - take a left and within 5 KMs you should reach Tusker Trails..
I had been there once, the place is good. Food was just okay. Its right inside the NP - sitting in the balcony in the night is fun,, you get to hear all that junge sounds.. I enjoyed it..but again not like BR Hills where you can see barking deard in front of the log huts in the early morning and I saw bisons around our log hut in the night..... it was scary outside, my wife did not let me go and sit in the balcony..

@ Tusker Trail, both the safari in the evening and morning, we did not get to spot anything except bison & wild dogs (not considering spotted dears as you can see tons of them around) - I think BNP is becoming more commercialized,, we saw lot other jeeps roaming around while we were at Safari...BR Hills was completely different. a forest on the solpe of the hill,, though we did not have luck to see a big cat,, we had a tusker charging our Jeep during late evening safari - it was scary,, it was just my family (3 of us) were there in the rear seat,, thrilling experiance...We liked that forest a lot better than BNP..
Edit: Tusker Trail was 2K per person - twin sharing basis last October..

Abhi, do you have any idea about the Forest Guest House here!! how deep is that inside the forest? what do I need to do to book a room there?

Last edited by Ketan : 30th August 2007 at 19:14.
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2007, 19:41   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Abhi, do you have any idea about the Forest Guest House here!! how deep is that inside the forest? what do I need to do to book a room there?
No Idea Ketan !! I think that is somewhere near the Bandipur Safari Booking Area, but dont know the exact location (actually didnt try to locate it)

abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2007, 12:02   #34
BHPian

Quote:
do you have any idea about the Forest Guest House here!! how deep is that inside the forest? what do I need to do to book a room there?
The cottages are behind the reception area. There are 8 I believe. Sadly they aren't well maintained, but when we used to go as bachelors we didn't mind at all! To book them you have to get through "Project Tiger Mysore Forest Dept". You can call them (IIRC the phone number is 08212480901) and check for availability. If available on the date of your choice, you should send them a DD, and they'll send you receipt in post. You have to present the receipt at the reception when you arrive. Many a times (not during holiday rush) I took a chance. I called to check for availability, but didn't send DD because there wasn't enough time. So Saturday morning I landed up in Mysore forest office, paid cash, took the receipt and proceeded to Bandipur. If Project Tiger office refused, my fallback plan was to try MC resorts or stay in Masinagudi.

Kousik
kousik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2007, 12:20   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Abhi,

The Forest Guest houses are almost next the safari booking place..They are quite cheap also considering other high cost places.But only problem is to get the bookings.I think you need to book it through forest dept office Mysore,
Field Director, Project Tiger,
Aranya Bhavan,Ashokapuram,
Mysore - 570008
0821-2480901
This information I got it from the Safari booking place Bandipur.
Regards
Kaushik
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2007, 16:43   #36
BHPian

Excellent report, Abhi. And great pics. I have been to Bandipur a few times but never got lucky enough to spot a big cat.

Your travelogues are superb. Keep them coming!
pjay_in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2007, 21:02   #37
BHPian

Thank you guys for the response,, I know govt. thingy would be cheaper than other resorts.. A very good reason to find mor about forest rest house was to enjoy the soltitude of jungel,, I was in impression that it'd be somewhere deep inside the forest,, but if its behind the reception area then it wouldnt be much fun there...
Camping is another option which I dont think I can do with family...

I have found this Jumgle Home,, someone name Bala owns this,,,, he has got some place called deep jungle home (a suite) close to a natural stream inside his property,, shall try that out whenever I plan..
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2007, 23:08   #38

Hi akroy, thot you made a journey recently from Kundpur to bangalore, need some urgent advice on the route please...am travelling with my family in my santro down the konkan coast and plan to cut in and reach bangalore at the end and want advice on best route across ghats...thanks
shulein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2007, 07:32   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shulein View Post
Hi akroy, thot you made a journey recently from Kundpur to bangalore, need some urgent advice on the route please...am travelling with my family in my santro down the konkan coast and plan to cut in and reach bangalore at the end and want advice on best route across ghats...thanks
I didnot do Kundapur recently...Still roads in SHiradi ghats are not in good shape, I would suggest you to take the either of the route(s):
1) Kundapur - udupi - Manipal - Agumbe - Tirthahalli - Shimoga - (then onto Nh206) - Tumkur - (then onto Nh4) - Bangalore
2) Kundapur - Udupi - Manipal - Karkala - Beltangadi - Charmadi - Mudigere - Belur - Hassan - (onto Nh48) - Neelamangala - Bangalore

In 2, you can face some bad roads / landslides depending on rains near Charmadi-Mudigere, otherwise the stretch is beautiful...
Route 1 is longer but very scenic as well...

Abhi
Old 1st September 2007, 08:58   #40
BANNED

Wow! That's some nice writeup with very good pictures. Keep it up!

Man! That Alto is a good example of their punch line: Let's go!
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2007, 13:32   #41
BHPian

nice writeup man . U r the one who is actually using the punchline perfectly.LET'S GO...
i think the most memorable moment of ur trip would be the leopard .its really rare to find out these .. Lucky u.

Last edited by spider77 : 1st September 2007 at 13:34.
spider77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2007, 15:48   #42

Thanks a ton Abhi...actually this is going to be my first monsoon drive across the Konkan-Karwar coast and am real excited but also just a touch anxious about possible road conditions - if u or other BHPians have any recent info on the road conditions on NH17 down from Ganapatipule rt down to Mangalore - would be very handy chief...also may go up to mangalore and then cut across inland toward B'lore - in that cast which route would u reco...most posts I've seen advice that one avoid the NH48 via Sakleshpur at the moment given the bad roads and traffic - any thots/advice? thanks a bunch and before I forget - great travelogue and pictures sir - what did u shoot them on? and how does one post pics on the site...i have a couple of good places to suggest for Mumbaikars with pics but still very unsure of how to navigate operate on the site :-) cheers
shulein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2007, 18:36   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shulein View Post
great travelogue and pictures sir - what did u shoot them on? and how does one post pics on the site...i have a couple of good places to suggest for Mumbaikars with pics but still very unsure of how to navigate operate on the site :-) cheers
Thank you Sir !! I have a simple digital camera (kodak CX7330) on which I took those snaps ...

Now as far as posting pics is concerned, pls refer to the following thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...-team-bhp.html

Abhi
Old 1st September 2007, 19:00   #44
BHPian

Great story, wonderful visuals. Keep them coming
NRKUMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2007, 21:18   #45
Senior - BHPian

Roy

Man you're a living ad for Maruti Alto. The number of travelogues we owe to your lil car is incredible.

Another great one as usual!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
I decided to try out Indradhanush for lunch. We reached there by 1PM. Indradhanush and CCD are in the same compound just after Maddur. I really liked the food there. We had some really good paneer masala and tandoori roti alongwith dal for lunch. I would suggest people to try out this place for non thali stuffs (and North India stuffs) and go to Lokaruchi for North Karnataka thalis.
We like Indradhanush too. I used to stop at Kamat Lokaruchi till recently when they set up a cowshed next to the restaurant. It was probably done for authenticity but its made the place unpalatable for me - the flies from the cowshed may be authentic but are far from hygenic. Plus the stink.

Pity - the lunch thali there was really good. Now we prefer to stop at Indradhanush or at Maddur Tiffanys.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote