Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 18th September 2007, 20:54   #16
Senior - BHPian

This seems to be getting better & better.. Every travelogue is filled with the best of pictures,and a nice detailed write up!

It almost feels like I've seen the west coast.. !
Superb job,Tanveer!! Hats off to you!
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2007, 21:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

Excellent travelogue---reminds me of my 100 day stint in the bay area of SFO 2 years ago. I missed the Big Sur, and am very happy to see the pics you have posted. Golly, I really missed something!
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2007, 22:10   #18
Team-BHP Support

Hey guys thanks for all the compliments.
This has been the last trip till now where the Journey has been the destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatDrive View Post
Fantastic pics, Though I have seen some good pics of Bay Area, california but they are not that clean and impressive.
Did you get a chance to visit this Gurudwara?
Yup, Gone there twice. Will post some pics sometime.
Plan to go every week actually.
Infact before this trip we went to the Gurudwara and then started on our journey to Big Sur etc.,
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2007, 00:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)

Tanveer,
Thanks for sharing such wonderful pictures and the interesting narrative. I was in Cypress, CA, a couple of weeks back. Although I wanted to drive to a lot of places, work took precedence and could only drive to some local beaches. Will keep your travelogue handy, whenever there is a next trip to CA.
-Biju

Last edited by pjbiju : 26th September 2007 at 00:56.
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2007, 01:25   #20
BHPian

awsome pics and nature,lovely write up.
thanks dude.
payam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2007, 02:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

Lovely pics. However one thing I noted was your Radar detector is mounted high on the windshield. Although it will detect Radar effectively, In this position it is at a disadvantage to spot laser/Lidar guns. The reason being that the angle of dispersion of Laser beams is pretty low and if the cop is targeting your front license plate you would want to have the detector as close as possible to it, which is at the bottom of the windscreen.

However percentage of Lidar to Radar is pretty less and most highway patrols use mostly Radar. Now they are intent on using Ku band too.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2007, 02:23   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Lovely pics. However one thing I noted was your Radar detector is mounted high on the windshield. Although it will detect Radar effectively, In this position it is at a disadvantage to spot laser/Lidar guns. The reason being that the angle of dispersion of Laser beams is pretty low and if the cop is targeting your front license plate you would want to have the detector as close as possible to it, which is at the bottom of the windscreen.

However percentage of Lidar to Radar is pretty less and most highway patrols use mostly Radar. Now they are intent on using Ku band too.
Actually if a cop is targetting your car with LIDAR, you are already toast. Only when he is targetting somebody else, and you get scatter you are warned.
Only Veil or a blinder can save you. I don't have either, so I mount it high or mid windshield.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 19:02   #23
BHPian

Default Re: California cruisin... Part II - The Road...!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
A very prominent spot before the much famed "Hurricane point" is the Bixby creek bridge. At this point an untarred road called the coast road takes for the hills along the pacific. Before this road was made, this was the only road to cross this particular point, and it was impassable in wet weather!
Bixby Creek Bridge:
The young at heart!!

From the Bixby bridge we drove the the Hurricane point. No hurricanes, but it was pretty windy here.
Here's the Bixby bridge from far far away
California Highway 1:
Don't have a clue how but landed on this very old thread. It did make me feel very nostalgic though. Couple of reasons - I used to live in California and owned the Liberty. I have very fond memories of many road trips in this very capable 4WD - beaches to deserts and mountains in between.
Here and some pics of the Bixby creek bridge from inside my Jeep (unfortunately attending a call from work) and then some more
Attached Thumbnails
California cruisin... Part II - The Road...!!-jeep-bixby-creek-bridge.jpg  

California cruisin... Part II - The Road...!!-jeeppacific-hwy1.jpg  

California cruisin... Part II - The Road...!!-jeeppismo-beach1.jpg  

Last edited by dj78 : 31st March 2015 at 19:08. Reason: removing pictures from quote
dj78 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 21:55   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj78 View Post
Don't have a clue how but landed on this very old thread. It did make me feel very nostalgic though. Couple of reasons - I used to live in California and owned the Liberty. I have very fond memories of many road trips in this very capable 4WD - beaches to deserts and mountains in between.
Here and some pics of the Bixby creek bridge from inside my Jeep (unfortunately attending a call from work) and then some more
Small world!
You sure had a lovely vehicle. Did you ever do the entire old road? We just did a small section before coming down to the proper road.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 22:12   #25
BHPian

Yes it sure took me places. I used to live in So. Cal (San Diego). On this trip I went up to Monterey on the Pacific Coast Hwy. I wanted to go further but then was interrupted by calls from work, unfortunately.
You need to have a lot of time on your hand to enjoy this beauty.

The PCH goes all the way up to Canada - I always wanted to do the entire stretch but never could take the time off.
dj78 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 20:41   #26
Senior - BHPian

Good to see this great thread. I am planning a CA trip this May with family and my plan is to cover a small part of the state in about 18 days. The itinerary starts and ends at LA. The plan is to rent a SUV from Hertz LAX for the entire duration.

LA > SD > Bishop > Yosemite > SF > Monterey > Pismo > LA

The above is based on the assumption that CA 120 will be open by second half of May. If it does not happen , I may have to change some of the dates.

Last edited by vasoo : 15th April 2015 at 20:45.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2015, 10:08   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Good to see this great thread. I am planning a CA trip this May with family and my plan is to cover a small part of the state in about 18 days. The itinerary starts and ends at LA. The plan is to rent a SUV from Hertz LAX for the entire duration.

LA > SD > Bishop > Yosemite > SF > Monterey > Pismo > LA

The above is based on the assumption that CA 120 will be open by second half of May. If it does not happen , I may have to change some of the dates.
A visit to Monterey is not complete without a visit to Pebble Beach, the famous golf course ,and more importantly Carmel-By-The-Sea, the town of one and only Clint Eastwood
thehighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2015, 07:26   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post

Closely follow the park website for this - http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wroads.htm. Most of CA 120 is open all year round but Tioga Pass remains closed till about May-June, depending on snowfall during the winter. But do not miss it at any cost - may be you want to change the sequence of your destinations.

Since your trip duration is 18 days, may be you can do more - There are just so many places and you haven't mentioned Death Valley as well
dj78 is offline   Reply With Quote