Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 25th September 2007, 11:47   #1
BHPian

Default Kolkata to Hyderabad 21st to 22nd Sep 2007 by Opel Astra (NH6, NH5, NH60, NH9)

We finally gathered the courage to do Kolkata-Hyderabad Hurricane Trip.

I must first complement my wife for supporting me all the way, sending sms, receiving calls, and logging the entire trip. Also special thanx to Mr HV Kumar and Arijit Ghosh for the inspiration. Both of them are serious roadrunners who do coast to coast trips Non-stop.

Road Conditions were a contrast as u can see from the pictures.

Indian Automobiles Emerging Scenario 1995 +: Kolkata to Hyderabad 21st to 22nd Sep 2007

It turned out to be a rally of some sorts. Worst Roads were BBSR-Gopalpur-Ichhapuram and NH9 Vijayawada-Hyderabad. We managed upto 120 on certain streches and touched 140 on one occassion. I was not racing and safety was the main concern.

You wont believe but we managed to take all our belongings (from coffee table to kitchenwares to clothes to buckets, mugs, toolkit, bedsheets, laptops, kitchen appliacnces etc.) Only the AC and Washing Machine is coming through Packers and Movers.

The car was loaded to the brim - Dicky and Rear Seat folded and actually had a payload of near about 400 Kgs! Add us both and thats a total payload of Half a tonne.

The entire trip was done in 38 hours (door to door)
We only slept for 3 Hours. My car gives 18 on highways like Kol-BBSR. But due to the heavy payload the car gave a lower mileage of 13 kmpl. Not bad for a 1.6 litre engine. I get 5.5 kmpl in the city otherwise. Also we slept 3 hours in the car with engine idling and the AC on before reaching Vizag.
btirthankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 12:42   #2
Team-BHP Support

Sounds like a pretty interesting adventure. Why carry all that luggage? Are you moving to Hyderabad by any chance? I have done Hyd-Vijawada a couple of times in the last few months and man, i know how you feel.

The roads are really narrow and pot-holed due to rains and last but not the least, you will find bumper-to-bumper traffic during most times of the day and even heavier traffic during the night. Its hard to cross 60kmph for more than 60%-70% of this stretch
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 19:25   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Sounds like a pretty interesting adventure. Why carry all that luggage? Are you moving to Hyderabad by any chance? I have done Hyd-Vijawada a couple of times in the last few months and man, i know how you feel.

The roads are really narrow and pot-holed due to rains and last but not the least, you will find bumper-to-bumper traffic during most times of the day and even heavier traffic during the night. Its hard to cross 60kmph for more than 60%-70% of this stretch
I agree with you on all accounts. Yes I have relocated from Kol-Hyd.
btirthankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2007, 12:11   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by btirthankar View Post
I agree with you on all accounts. Yes I have relocated from Kol-Hyd.
Great. Welcome to Hyderabad and keep looking out for TBHP meets of Hyderabad and look forward to your participation in one of them. We recently had one ( link below) and next one is going to be in October !

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...rive-meet.html (Hyderabad's next Drive/Meet)
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2007, 12:34   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Great. Welcome to Hyderabad and keep looking out for TBHP meets of Hyderabad and look forward to your participation in one of them. We recently had one ( link below) and next one is going to be in October !

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...rive-meet.html (Hyderabad's next Drive/Meet)

Hey man, I will surely attend: my email is basu.tirthankar(AT)gmail(DOT)com

Last edited by Zappo : 26th September 2007 at 14:38. Reason: Its better not to leave 'bot pickable' footprints on the Net. Invites unnecessary spam.
Old 19th March 2008, 10:53   #6

Thumbs up Thanks for the informative post

Thanks Tirthankar for the excellent post. I loved the pictures and couldn't beleive you took it with a mobile phone. After reading your post I got some confidence for a Kolkata-Puri road trip. I am leaving tomorrow morning and should be back on Sunday 23rd March. The road conditions upto Bhubaneshwar looks good from your pictures. I would appreciate any suggestions or tips from you. I am leaving tomorrow(20th March) with my wife and 1 year old son on my SX4. Cheers!!!
Puranjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 11:52   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puranjoy View Post
Thanks Tirthankar for the excellent post. I loved the pictures and couldn't beleive you took it with a mobile phone. After reading your post I got some confidence for a Kolkata-Puri road trip. I am leaving tomorrow morning and should be back on Sunday 23rd March. The road conditions upto Bhubaneshwar looks good from your pictures. I would appreciate any suggestions or tips from you. I am leaving tomorrow(20th March) with my wife and 1 year old son on my SX4. Cheers!!!
Yes after that ... we did Hyd-Del-Mum-Pune-Hyd and Hyd-Goa-Hyd Non stop.

U can check them in my blog Indian Automobiles Emerging Scenario 1995 +

Call me at 9985379188 for any suggestions. Incidentally I am in Kolkata for a couple of days.
Old 31st December 2008, 10:24   #8

Hi Guys

I'm planning to drive to Chilika from Kolkata during the 26th Jan holidays. Would anyone be able to post an update on the road condition? I'll have two kids with me, and one of them is still a baby - just wondering whether the road condition would suit such a long drive on a Swift or not...

Cheers
Arijit
arijit72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 23:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by btirthankar View Post
The entire trip was done in 38 hours (door to door)
We only slept for 3 Hours. My car gives 18 on highways like Kol-BBSR. But due to the heavy payload the car gave a lower mileage of 13 kmpl. Not bad for a 1.6 litre engine. I get 5.5 kmpl in the city otherwise. Also we slept 3 hours in the car with engine idling and the AC on before reaching Vizag.
OMG....sleeping in the car with the engine and A/c on sounds dangerous on two counts. (1) Engine might overheat / otherwise be damaged as they are not designed for stationary use. (2) The vehicle being stationary reduces the air circulation in the passenger cabin, people can get killed that way!
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote