Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 13th October 2007, 13:00   #1
BHPian

Cool Delhi-Jammu 8 Hrs Flat

Warm Regards to everyone!

Prologue:
I m a student 21 (turned on the 16th Sept.) , a bit aggressive in nature, & enjoy my vacations to the max.

I hv my maternals in Jammu(J&K). So, it had been an year we hadn't given them a visit. On the 29th Sept. we had scheduled a trip to Jammu for abt a week or so.

But me & my dad had to goto Mumbai on the 28th for some Business.

Well i thought the trip was gone there & then.

But we returned back on the same night at 1 & started for our trip at 5 in the morning.

Shifting Gears:

We had a halk fulka breakfast & fastened up the seat belts. Oh! i was drivin & my parents sittin at the back in our Chevy Aveo 1.4LS (3800 kms)
now its (5300). By 5:30 we had crossed the Delhi Border which is abt 35kms from my house. Then, was the fun part.

By 6:10 we had reached Panipat. Thank god for that coz if we wud hv been late then wud hv lost half an hour due to the Panipat flyover. Its work is goin gr8 guns.

After that drove consistently at abt 120-135. At one pt. took it to 150kms.(Aggressiveness).

Left a trail of cars behind me (namely NHC, Fietas, Vernas) & ya a Good Ol' LAURA.

At abt 7:30 we had reached Ambala. My dad was like fuming. He said how can we reach Ambala so early coz he thinks i drive slow as compared to him.

Then we took a 5 min break & shifted places.
(My Dad wanted to hv sme fun).

Now, i was enjoyin the nature as it was flyin past me. On the speedo it was 130 & my dad's face had a huge grin. I said i had clocked 150 then he put pedal to metal & the speedo lunged fwd but he cudnt manage 150 due to silly ol' truck.

At 9 we were scrapin thru the Ludhiana bypass(so called) (man! it goes thru the city).

We had a halka waala snack breakfast again & then switched places.
At 9:15 we resumed our journey again.

45 mins is wat it took me to cover 65 kms to Jalandhar.

After Jalandhar is a stretch of 25 kms which is like smooth as silk. No traffic , no trucks(not much) 6-lanes. Perfect for top speed drivin.

I was awaitin this only. Quickly switched to my aggressive mood. Saw that my dad was asleep. Satisfied. Pulled up the horses & said "Go Dhanno".

then
yes i managed a 165.
i cud hv gone more but my sis just changed the genre of song & i was just shocked for a moment or so. Then pulled it back to 140-150 & kept on cruisin.

After that is pathetic story of a pathetic road.

Those 25 kms are heaven then the rest of the highway is hell. Potholes, trucks, annoying drivers & just 2 lanes that too without the divider(i m stupid) if the divider wud hv been there hw cud i overtake)

Kept on hobbling at abt 80-120 but cud manage an avg speed of 70 till Pathankot. So, reached Pathankot by 11:15-11:20 odd.

Now, i cud smell the soil of Jammu. It was still 110 odd kms with okeish type roads & pathetic traffic.

So, it wud have taken us abt 2 hrs.

but still i managed to get there in 1.5 hrs.

& reached my destination to enjoy my vacations.

In all, we had taken 7 hrs & 50 mins to cover a distance of 601 kms from my house. An avg. speed of 77 kms/hr.

The car shelled out 15.8kmpl as we had set out with a tank full & when we had reached my uncle's house the Low Fuel indicator got on.

Now, if the roads get improved which are(looks like work is goin on) then i can probably reach here in 6.5 hrs flat.(My Dad allowing so).

The return trip was like the same too. We started from there at 2 p.m. & reached Delhi Border at 10 p.m. (Stuck in the Panipat jam for 35 mins)

Happy & Safe Drivin to all.

Varun

Last edited by normally_crazy : 13th October 2007 at 13:39. Reason: More than 2 smilies not allowed
varun.ppl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2007, 13:52   #2
BANNED

hmmmm ... 2 hrs from Delhi border to Ambala s nothing aggressive , I mean my wife does it in that much time as well and that too in a zen without crossing 100 on the odo !! You should have done it in lesser time at those speeds .....

Enjoy ur driveeee ....
khaadu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2007, 14:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

That sounds like some rash / interesting driving there mate !!!

The Aveo is a very good car. 15 KPL is damn good !!!

Anyways as Khaadu said above Delhi - Ambala in 2 hrs is simple. I have done it in a little over an hour and a quarter in my Accent and Santro both.
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2007, 15:07   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
hmmmm ... 2 hrs from Delhi border to Ambala s nothing aggressive , I mean my wife does it in that much time as well and that too in a zen without crossing 100 on the odo !! You should have done it in lesser time at those speeds .....

ouch khaddu just stole your thunder .
cheap_deal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2007, 17:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
At abt 7:30 we had reached Ambala. My dad was like fuming. He said how can we reach Ambala so early coz he thinks i drive slow as compared to him.
Quote:
I said i had clocked 150 then he put pedal to metal & the speedo lunged fwd but he cudnt manage 150 due to silly ol' truck.
And I thought he'd take your trip coz you drove so fast. Huh! guess I'm still stuck in genW and not reached genX.
Lukeskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2007, 18:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
And I thought he'd take your trip coz you drove so fast. Huh! guess I'm still stuck in genW and not reached genX.
Exactly my thought also Luke !! I guess even I am a bit backward ( that too at the age of 26 ).

I cannot Imagine my folks / wifey's faces if I do / did more than 110 in my car. They'd kill me.
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2007, 18:11   #7
BHPian

Default @vkochar

Varun Sir!

Respecting your word, i just wanna say a couple of things:

1. There's an age difference of 5 yrs between you & me. (Maybe when i m 26 i might b able to drive like u.)

2. Completing 165 kms in one hour & 15 mins. Man!!! Really impressed.
You might have got lucky & got an empty road. I was so pissed of by the deaf drivers.

Still ! i have 5 years to be like u.
Old 16th October 2007, 13:55   #8
BHPian

Hi Varun,

Was wondering on the rationale to drive so fast given the state of the highways and the traffic.How much time would you have saved in those 25kms against a possibility of an incident in that distance? Just my 2 cents worth.

Rgds
indianrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2007, 15:25   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

All I'll say is that don't go slow on the horn.

I can't personally drive at that level, forget ride - but I'll sure as hell, give way a km in advance

I hope with that kinda driving, your car has good airbags.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2007, 15:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hey Varun, great narrative & it sounds like you had great fun. Almost a fairy-tale journey I'd say - top speed of 165 kmph, average speed of 77 kmph & yet an average mileage of 15.8 kmpl. AWESOME! Great going!
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2007, 20:14   #11
BHPian

Smile

@indianrunner

Sir, i really do appreciate your advice. & its not worth 2 cents, it weighs in gold.
But the thing is that as i m in a transition phase, it happens i believe. but i m trying to be more mature.
Ya, i saved nothing much because then after those 25kms i was hogged by trucks & all.

Thanks a zillion.

@phamilyman

Well no Airbags, but ya got ABS equipped. It kinda comes in help.

@suman

Thanks. & ya had a great time but as per the experienced advices i think i need to have a more mature head as not only i m risking my life, i m putting a bet on others too.

Will try to attain more self control.

@ ALL

Apart from everything, I do follow traffic rules & have a good sense of traffic. If someone more quick then me is coming from behind i don't hesitate even for a split second to let him pass as this might help him not to brake & save fuel.

Thank u to ALL for their terrific advices.
Old 17th October 2007, 10:35   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Hey Varun, great narrative & it sounds like you had great fun. Almost a fairy-tale journey I'd say - top speed of 165 kmph, average speed of 77 kmph & yet an average mileage of 15.8 kmpl. AWESOME! Great going!
I wonder why such a diff in top speed and avg speed .... ?? Varun @ why don't yo take up racing as then you won't have to worry about trucks et all .

Look forward to meeting you at one of the Delhi meets ....

DRIVE FAST but SAFE
khaadu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 12:21   #13
BANNED

Hey buddy Varun.ppl, thats an impressive list you have left behind. Why didn't take your Corsa? You could have done still higher speeds
Quote:
Originally Posted by varun.ppl View Post
Left a trail of cars behind me (namely NHC, Fietas, Vernas) & ya a Good Ol' LAURA.
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 13:53   #14
BHPian

@khaadu75

Well boss! the thing is how much fast u try but still this Indian traffic bogs u down & the thing is that top speed is achieved once in a worthwhile but the avg speed is also due to the bad roads, traffic & a whole hell lot of things.

Abt Racing: my dad said when i passed my 12th that now wat u wanna do. I said Karting. My dad was like............hysterical.

He told me abt those boring traditional values & imp. of study & i had to then go for B.tech

Now after placements feelin gud

So, cant go in due to the so called Family tradition. But ya wud love meet u all.

@diabloo

Sir, the thing is that we usually go out on the Corsa(its been 2.5 yrs). So, we thought that why not go out in our new car. More luxury. That's why

But till now i hvnt gone beyond 150kmph on the Corsa. Guess, i m not fit for it.

But still i say that Corsa is a better driver car & Aveo a better rider car.
Old 17th October 2007, 14:18   #15
BANNED

Whats the difference between driver and a rider ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun.ppl View Post
But still i say that Corsa is a better driver car & Aveo a better rider car.
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote