Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 10th November 2007, 19:21   #16
Team-BHP Support

Today we had to go to a village near Kundapur to drop my B-I-L and his wife. We thought of taking the internal road to avoid the disaster named NH-17.

We started at around 3PM, at Bramavara we turned right and towards Barkur, lots of history on this road. The Barkur fort (Bhutala Pandya, most famous king of Tulunad ruled here in 77AD) is in total ruins. Check here fore more history. Barkur Online

At some point one fully grown peacock crossed our path, it was in no hurry, and it was no jungle area either. I could see many houses around that place. But I had no camera, we all stared at it from barely 10-15ft away. What a missed chance.

Then we crossed Sahebara Katte, which basically means Saheb's Square. This is where British officers used to come and sit for collecting taxes during the pre-independence times.

Then comes Mekkikatte where you can find giant French deities (god-lets?), or French bootas. Now the originals are kept in some Delhi museum, only exact replicas are placed here. According to legend, some French sailors came to this town, they were captured by god Nandi and they became his disciples.

The road until here was not great, mostly broken with regular potholes, but nothing like the pathetic NH-17. With the GV we could just glide for the most part. Ah! it is a great feeling to finally have a vehicle that can go anywhere around here. There was hardly any traffic to deal with and the weather was great.

At Siriyara we turned left into a narrow tar road, very serene road, no traffic at all. It joined the main road towards Hunisemakki, and we soon reached our destination.

While I was there I mentioned that came across a peacock. Our host replied that peacocks are daily sight in his front yard and backyard. Then he went on to comment that we town folks might find it a novelty.

An hour later we took the same route back, it was one enjoyable ride. I could never exceed 60Kmph anywhere, but it was more enjoyable than doing 140-160Kmph on some expressway. Or may be I am just getting old.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2007, 20:45   #17
Team-BHP Support

Arrow

Man - You've just bought the car and already started exploring - off-roading and all!
Good to know you're enjoying it to the fullest.
aah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2007, 00:42   #18
BHPian

Great Report and wonderful pics again Samurai..
Its really a good start going all around places with the new GV. I guess you will be completing the running-in faster than anyoneelse..
Waiting for some good off-road adventures once you finish with breaking-in the new engine..
Yeah,, that MGS is great, I have a commitment to show that to my kid,,, looking for some good place where I can find it easily, this can be one. thanks.
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2007, 10:31   #19
BHPian

Wonderful report Samurai! You seem to be doing these travelogues like a lifeblog of the GV! Whatever it does, you jot it down!

The pictures are beautiful! I don't find anything wrong in the picture of the Giant Squirrel, lighting looks allright except for a teeny weeny bit of lack of light. But that's acceptable. Btw, how much of optical zoom do you have for this cam?

On the other hand, how many km has been done now since you filled up the tank?

cya
A
Absar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2007, 10:56   #20
Team-BHP Support

Hey, how much time we'll take to reach those hair pin bends area? Say if we leave around 7 in the morning..

Can we spend a few hours there and come back for lunch?

This essentially means I need to take afternoon flight out of Bangalore on Friday to avoid early morning delays due to fog.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2007, 11:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

Wow!!!! Fabulous pics and a nice description of the trip.
You are right Samurai. One tends to ignore the scenic spots close to one's hometown.
The pics reminded me of the Nelliampathy Hills - I used to visit an estate there, years ago (in my Maruthi 800 those days).
And the Malabar giant squirrel shots are right out of the National Geographic! Lovely!!
wilful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2007, 11:14   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Hey, how much time we'll take to reach those hair pin bends area? Say if we leave around 7 in the morning..
About 50 minutes. Faster than the commute to your office during peak hour.

Quote:
Can we spend a few hours there and come back for lunch?
We did the whole trip and back home in 3.5hours. We spent atleast 45 minutes in the nature camp and 10 minutes at sun-set point.

Quote:
This essentially means I need to take afternoon flight out of Bangalore on Friday to avoid early morning delays due to fog.
Yeah, that's probably a good thing. There is a 3:30PM KF flight every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absar View Post
The pictures are beautiful! I don't find anything wrong in the picture of the Giant Squirrel, lighting looks allright except for a teeny weeny bit of lack of light. But that's acceptable. Btw, how much of optical zoom do you have for this cam?
Thanks, but it was really dark, see the original raw shot below. The 50-200mm lens I used has 400mm EFL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Its really a good start going all around places with the new GV. I guess you will be completing the running-in faster than anyoneelse..
No, that record already belong to a short gentleman who now appears rather plump in recent photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Wow!!!! Fabulous pics and a nice description of the trip. You are right Samurai. One tends to ignore the scenic spots close to one's hometown.
Thanks, here is one more secret out, I have never been to Jog Falls while I have visited Niagara many times.

Last edited by Samurai : 11th November 2007 at 11:25.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote