Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 15th May 2008, 09:20   #16
Senior - BHPian

Nicely written and wonderful photos. We are getting International travelogues also now on Team BHP !! Good !!

There are probably more travelogues here on T-BHP than many major travel web sites
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2009, 21:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

Talking One day in KL - What to see?

Hello All,

I would be in KL for a day in September 09. What to see besides the Petronas Towers? Any inputs would be welcome.
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2009, 22:11   #18
BHPian

KL is more of a shopping destination, according to me.

However, you can visit the Twin Towers, Aquaria KLCC, KL Tower.

Time permitting you can even visit Genting Highlands for a few hours ( min. half a day is recommended ).
ecclipse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2009, 23:03   #19
Senior - BHPian

* Sun Gei Wong Plaza for general shopping - cheaper than most other places
* There is an electronic market just behind it (I forget the name)
* Hindu cave temple on the outskirts with 2 gigantic golden statues (can be seen clearly through the telescope in KL Tower)
* Orchid Garden and tropical birds garden
* Genting Highlands if you can (90 min. min to reach there) - amusement park
* Corporation Market - handicrafts etc.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2009, 23:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

Thanks DerAlte. Are all these locations (except Genting) close by? Also, I won't be carrying much cash but credit cards only. Accepted? (Local markets i.e.)

Last edited by amtak : 23rd August 2009 at 23:20.
Old 23rd August 2009, 23:49   #21
BHPian

Things you could see depending on how much time you have.

1. Petronas twin towers. You can always walk around the towers and gardens there. If you want to go to the sky bridge, get there early in the morning and get free tickets. The bridge is closed on one day of the week.. monday or tuesday. I have forgotten now. The tickets are available in the basement of the towers. Just ask the guards around there. Get there by around 7am if you want the tickets. They provide you with tickets with printed time on it and take you in batches. The bridge tour opens at 9am.
You could probably spend an hour or two at the location. You can get decent indian food in the food court there if you want (level 2)

2. KL tower: You'll get a nice all round view of the city from here. About a km from Twin towers, but the view you'd get is much better since its at a higher location than skybridge in Twin towers. You could go there anytime. I'd suggest getting there just before sunset. City looks nice at that time. There's a revolving restaurant at the top if you'd like something like that, sometimes they also have a coupon that will get you a drink at the restaurant. So basically you'd pay a bit lesser than the visit to the tower and get a free drink in the revolving restaurant!

3. Batu Caves: Take a taxi to get to this place if you are short of time. Else take Putra LRT below KLCC (Twin towers) to the last stop, Putra LRT (also known as Gombak). Its fast enough if you are close to this route (marked in Pink in the map below)
kiat.net: Kuala Lumpur - Mass Transit (STAR/PUTRA/Monorail)

From there Batu caves is about 5-10mins drive and the taxi should cost about 10-12 Ringgits. You can get back by same route.

@deralte: I never saw two Golden statues there. Did they make one recently?

4. Shopping: Just go to Bukit Bintang dude! Thats the road with all the malls. If you are bargain hunting, go to Sungei Wang and BB mall (both linked internally). For electronics go to Low Yat Plaza thats just behind Sungei Wang.

For some higher end shopping, get into KL Pavillion mall.

If you want some souvenirs or some other simple stuff (or chinese maal....hehe), go to Petaling street in the evening (the market will open only late in the afternoon, its a normal road otherwise).

I could suggest a lot of other places, but this will give you the flavor of KL in a day. Things like Aquaria Butterfly/Orchid/Bird/ Parks and all are similar or even better in other places, skip those for a day's visit. Genting is nice, but you wont do justice to the place with anything less than 24hours at that place.

I'd like to write more, but its time to sleep now
Sks_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2009, 23:59   #22
Senior - BHPian

I am actually in KL for 3 days but will get only a day for myself. rest two days - workshop :(
Old 24th August 2009, 00:00   #23
BHPian

Forgot to mention, these places, except for Batu caves are in 1-2kms radius.
Sks_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 11:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

@sks_biker, never been to Batu caves myself, but while driving past it I think I saw 2 statues. From the KL Towers also you can see 2 (again, I think - I went there in 2007, and my recollection may not be correct at all). And thanks for filling in the names! :-)

@amtak, if you are there for 3 days, utilize the evenings also (unless you are under lock down for dinner also!). Most places are open till 9 or 10 in the evening, and travel in KL is quite fast - both rail and road.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote