Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 12th November 2007, 11:22   #1
BHPian

Default Bangalore - Shivanasamudra on SX4: quick report

Route:-
Bangalore-Bidadi-Maddur-Malavalli-Shivanasamudra.

Drive :-
We started from Bangalore by 8:30am, a bit late than planned. We were three adults, 1 child and one infant. All of us could sit comfortably sit in the SX4. Since mysore road is closer to home, we found it easier to take this route, rather than the kanakapura road.

It was smooth sailing on the Bangalore-Mysore highway. I did not push the car beyond 2500 rpm.

We stopped for breakfast at Indradhanush restaurant, which is about 10 kms beyond Channapatna, since we found Kamat extremely crowded. We also packed lunch from here. After reaching Maddur, took the deviation towards Malavalli. This stretch is 2 lane highway, tolerable but has patches where road is dug up.

Shivanasamudra is a further 20kms from Malavalli. However, a 5 kms stretch of road beyond Malavalli is in a pathetic state; a mud road infact . I was happy with the way the car handled the bad patches and also with the A/C, which was strictly on internal circulation during this dusty section.

Instead of stopping first at Shivanasamudra (Gagana chukki falls), we proceeded towards Bara chukki falls, which is a further 13 kms away. Our first stop was Sri Ranganatha temple, also known as Madhya Ranga. At Bara chukki, we parked the car on top and descended till the foot of the falls. It was fun time playing in flowing river - especially with the kids . Most of our time was spent here.

We had lunch and then proceeded back towards Gagana chukki. Here, there is no safe way to descend till the falls. All one can do is admire the water falls from a distance. Hence, the time we spent here was less compared to Bara chukki.

We started on way back; stopped briefly for tea & snacks at Kamat and reached home by 7pm.

Suggestions for other travelers:
- pack lunch and other eatables. Not much of a choice near the falls.
- take mysore road instead of Kanakapura road
- take spare clothes and towels, in case you plan to take a dip in Cauvery river :-)
- be EXTREMELY CAREFUL near the falls, do not underestimate the water current
sreenidhibr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2007, 12:14   #2
BHPian

Nice report there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenidhibr View Post
Suggestions for other travelers:
- pack lunch and other eatables. Not much of a choice near the falls.
- take mysore road instead of Kanakapura road
- take spare clothes and towels, in case you plan to take a dip in Cauvery river :-)
- be EXTREMELY CAREFUL near the falls, do not underestimate the water current
Very nice suggestions with last point very very important.
cheers
greatDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2007, 12:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

Nice experience man. I'am planning to visit this Sunday as it can be covered within a day. BTW, are there any signages after Maddur for the road to be taken to Malavalli?

Regarding visiting, which falls is better for first stop? Do I have to do same as you or is there a different way. Pls suggest the optimum solution.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2007, 12:25   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Regarding visiting, which falls is better for first stop? Do I have to do same as you or is there a different way. Pls suggest the optimum solution.
If you just want to enjoy the view of the falls, go to Gaganchukki falls.
if you want to enjoy in kaveri waters and go very near the falls, then visit barachukki.

Both of them have charm of their own.
Cheers.
greatDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2007, 14:19   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Nice experience man. I'am planning to visit this Sunday as it can be covered within a day. BTW, are there any signages after Maddur for the road to be taken to Malavalli?
Yep. Immediately after crossing the Maddur bus stop, there is a junction. The left road at this junction leads to Shivanasamudra. There are sign boards at this junction indicating Shivanasamudra as well as other place like Talakadu, etc..

Quote:
As another user as mentioned, Gagana chukki is a visual treat and Bara chukki is practical delight :-) Either falls first is fine, but Bara chukki takes a lot of time as we do not realize how time flies when we are enjoying. I would suggest Bara chukki first as it would be easier to cover Gagana chukki on way back, since you would know the route by now.

An addition: on the way towards Bara chukki, there is a dargah. One can stop here also and visit the "head" of the falls behind the dargah. However, there is no safety mechanisms, so please be very careful - especially if you are traveling with kids.
Old 12th November 2007, 14:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nice report sree, where are the pics? send them in...
And never ever take Kanakapura Road, the route you took was the best at the moment... Kanakapura - Malavalli stretch is almost non existent now...

Quote:
Adding to what GD said, I suggest you to complete the falls by 11AM and proceed towards Talakkad, you can enjoy with the water there, nice place to have bath in Cauvery there...

Very Very IMP: Carry your lunch, Snacks and water...Actually it can turn out to be a nice picnic...we visited there twice, both the time we prepared home made food and its really nice to have food on sand, under the trees after a nice bath in the river...

NOTE: I am in office now, will post a few of the pics of Talakkad on reaching home...

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2007, 14:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for valuable suggestions. Will take care most of the things during my visit.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 09:38   #8
BHPian

Default bara chuki falls

one question:

when you are entering bara chuki falls, did some guys to stop you to take money in the name of paraking , the most frustating part was that guy who asked for money was drunk , he was smelling and second thing bara chuki falls where you park you car is too far i will say nearly 3 to 4 kms away from where these people take money....

did somebody faced this , i was pissed off , next time i go to this places, there is no giving money to these people...
they were drinking from the money we are giving ...

if anybody else have faced this let us know ...
madaboutCARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 10:50   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madaboutCARS View Post
one question:

when you are entering bara chuki falls, did some guys to stop you to take money in the name of paraking , the most frustating part was that guy who asked for money was drunk , he was smelling and second thing bara chuki falls where you park you car is too far i will say nearly 3 to 4 kms away from where these people take money....

did somebody faced this , i was pissed off , next time i go to this places, there is no giving money to these people...

There was a checkpost kind of thing about 3 kms before bara chukki. A couple of guys seemed to be present, but they did not collect money when we went. A few cars were ahead of us and these were also not stopped either. It looks like their "collection" was sufficient by that time :-(

Actually, the gram panchayat under which such tourist spots / temples come usually do collect some entry fee. I have seen this at other places also - Sriranga pattana, etc..; so perhaps as long as we are given a valid receipt, we can perhaps be assured that funds are going to the right people.
Old 13th November 2007, 11:22   #10
BHPian

Yes - Always insist on the receipt.
Last time I picked up my father at Krishnarajapuram Station (near Bangalore), the parking attendant asked for Rs.10. I gave it to him and he started walking away.... I stopped him and asked for a receipt.. He hemmed and hawed, finally gave me Rs.5 back. I still persisted and only then did he give a receipt along with a lot of cuss words under his (rather bad) breath...
mogambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 11:52   #11
BHPian

Good trip and nice report. I may also plan for it soon. BTW did you check mileage of MAN :-)
sathya_nars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 13:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually, the gram panchayat under which such tourist spots / temples come usually do collect some entry fee. I have seen this at other places also - Sriranga pattana, etc..; so perhaps as long as we are given a valid receipt, we can perhaps be assured that funds are going to the right people.
Elected reps are smarter - they have auctioned the rights to collect the entry fee. Now its upto the contractor make that amount. So its the contractor who collects the money.
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 14:08   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madaboutCARS View Post
one question:

No Madaboutcars 2 weeks back when i had been to bara chuki falls, no one stopped me to pay for parking. I don't think one needs to pay for parking there !!
jango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2007, 09:09   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
Good trip and nice report. I may also plan for it soon. BTW did you check mileage of MAN :-)
I got mileage of 14 Kmpl for combined city + highway after this trip. We covered about 250kms in each case.
Old 22nd November 2007, 10:52   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Route:-
Bangalore-Bidadi-Maddur-Malavalli-Shivanasamudra.

Our first stop was Sri Ranganatha temple, also known as Madhya Ranga.

Hi sreenidhi,
If you have taken any pics of this temple please post it. I had been their only once and was very impressed. History says, under 100ft below the Lord Ranganatha idol present in Garbhagudi here is "Armutha"(God's water) in a vessel or so, and at some point of time in future it overflows and spreads all over the place(Please don't laugh guys!). These are my relatives' gyan sent to me.

Ramki.
ramki067 is offline   Reply With Quote