Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 11th December 2007, 15:16   #1
BHPian

Thumbs up Weekend Trip - Chandigarh to Dalhousie/Khajjiar

Hi guys!!! I'm just going to briefly describe my trip to Dalhousie/Khajjiar in HP last weekend in my Swift VDi. This was an awesome and memorable trip, the drive, scenery, weather... everything just great!!!

Saturday 8-12-07:
We left Chandigarh early at 5.30AM so as to avoid heavy traffic till Pathankot. But nature had a nice surprise for us... FOG!!! It was extremely foggy throughout the plains till Pathankot, and the speed was restricted to around 60kmph most of the time. At some clear stretches I pushed the car hard to make up for the lost time.

The road is awesome, especially the toll road for 150 odd kms is rocking!!!
We reached Pathankot at around 9.30AM and had a tea break. Then we resumed the journey towards Dalhousie. The road is in good condition and without any bumps throughout. The last 30kms was steep incline, but VDi never went out of steam. I just never felt the incline. We reached Dalhousie at 12.30PM. Dalhousie was calm, absent from any unintended rush. Instead of stopping there, we resumed towards Khajjiar. It's 22kms from Dalhousie, and a picture perfect location. It's a beautiful ground with a small pond in between, located in the midst of a wildlife sanctuary. There we took the Himachal Tourism cottage besides the Khajjiar ground. It was a grand view of the whole area from the room.

Meanwhile roaming there, I twisted my left foot, and went rolling down way ahead. People rushed to pick me up, someone just massaging my foot, other holding my head... and my wife just looking at me in shock!!! Somehow I stood up... but unable to walk. So rest of the day I just saw the area visible from my room window, as I lay there resting.

Sunday 9-12-07:
Got up at 10AM, looked at the injured foot, and it had swollen a lot, and I was unable to walk around. Just prayed to god that I reach home without problem and able to drive back. We started our backward journey at around 12.30PM. On the way back saw this beautiful scenery and couldn't resist clicking it.

Then went non-stop to Pathankot and had our lunch there.

Took some rest, and resumed at 5.30PM. Then there was no stopping... the next stop was home at around 9.15PM. Just thanked god after reaching home that my foot didn't give much trouble.

The total distance travelled was approx 675kms and my car gave me FE of about 19kmpl, which invloved one-third hilly driving. Good enough!

Note From Moderator: Kindly avoid using more than 2 smileys

Last edited by adya33 : 11th December 2007 at 16:01.
asethi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 17:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Am surprised that there was no snow - thought Dalhousie/Khajjiar already had their first spell of snow. I hope to be in Dalhousie on 20th. Do you know whether the Khajjiar resort will be open at that time? Are the bypasses at Ludhiana and Jalandhar well-marked so that one can drive by without any town traffic hassles?
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 17:19   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

hvk saab, if passing through delhi, drop me a line. Will meet on NH8 only
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 17:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Am surprised that there was no snow - thought Dalhousie/Khajjiar already had their first spell of snow.
Isn't it too early for snow in those parts? I remember we got snow on the forest stretch (Kalatope sanctuary) between Dalhousie & Khajjiar and some ground frost in Khajjiar but that was in early January; 20th December there could be more of a possibility......
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 17:35   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Am surprised that there was no snow - thought Dalhousie/Khajjiar already had their first spell of snow. I hope to be in Dalhousie on 20th. Do you know whether the Khajjiar resort will be open at that time? Are the bypasses at Ludhiana and Jalandhar well-marked so that one can drive by without any town traffic hassles?
Expect snow anytime soon... the locals told me it usually snows around new year. Yup the Khajjiar resort will be open, and after snow it's the peak season for them.

Quote:
Are the bypasses at Ludhiana and Jalandhar well-marked so that one can drive by without any town traffic hassles?
From Jallandhar you will have to take diversion towards Pathankot, and as you enter Pathankot after crossing the bridge, trake right turn towards Mamun Cantt and head straight towards Dalhousie.
Old 11th December 2007, 17:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
hvk saab, if passing through delhi, drop me a line. Will meet on NH8 only
Yes of course, sir. Except that I am going to be doing one of those marathons, driving non-stop from Bombay to Dalhousie. Leaving Bombay on 19th afternoon, should cross Delhi at a very bad time, 9-11 am on Dec 20. All will depend on progress through South Gujarat. If meet does not happen on 20th, will try again on 29th/30th on return leg.

Where do you stay/work? Gurgaon area?
Old 11th December 2007, 17:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Isn't it too early for snow in those parts? I remember we got snow on the forest stretch (Kalatope sanctuary) between Dalhousie & Khajjiar and some ground frost in Khajjiar but that was in early January; 20th December there could be more of a possibility......
Both Shimla and Manali have had their first snows this week, way ahead of normal time which is usually Dec 25 onwards. I thought I read somewhere that the Dalhousie region had received snow last month itself. Temperatures are already freezing (Srinagar Min -3, Keylong -17, etc).
Old 11th December 2007, 18:22   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Both Shimla and Manali have had their first snows this week, way ahead of normal time which is usually Dec 25 onwards. I thought I read somewhere that the Dalhousie region had received snow last month itself. Temperatures are already freezing (Srinagar Min -3, Keylong -17, etc).
Going by the weather in the last 2 days... snow is quite possible there. The min temp on saturday was already sub zero and the chill was piercing. Maybe clouds have done some good in the last 2 days!!!
Old 11th December 2007, 20:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

Ankush, from what you say, the Jalandhar-Pathankot road construction work is over. Is it now double road all the way to Pathankot?
Old 11th December 2007, 21:32   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Ankush, from what you say, the Jalandhar-Pathankot road construction work is over. Is it now double road all the way to Pathankot?
No, double road is only till BHOGPUR ( 20 km from Jalandhar),
the remaining 89km shall take atleast 2 years more.

I'll suggest you to take alternate route after AMBALA
breezydrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 22:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
No, double road is only till BHOGPUR ( 20 km from Jalandhar),
the remaining 89km shall take atleast 2 years more.

I'll suggest you to take alternate route after AMBALA
I thought you took NH1 through Rajpura, Ludhiana and Jalandhar to Pathankot. Which alternative route do you suggest?
Old 11th December 2007, 22:11   #12
BHPian

hvkumar, you can see the road condition in the first 2 pictures of this thread.
It would not be foggy by the time you cross this section (1pm -5pm), i hv read that you 'll be croossing Delhi around 9:30 -10 am
Take right turn 100mtr before toll plaza on Ambala - Rajpura road.
Drive for 38km to hit Kharar & you are on the beautiful toll road.

Kharar - Kurali - Ropar = 27km

(Turn right from Ropar on NH-21, if you are going to Kullu-Manali / Dharmsala)

Ropar - Balachaur- Garhshankar - Hosiarpur = 90km

Hosiarpur - Dasuya - Pathankot = 96 km

Delhi - Pathankot ( via this route) = 456km & 6.5 -7.5 hours + scenic beauty + Empty roads

Delhi - Pathankot ( via NH1 & NH1A) = 485 km & 7 - 8 hours+heavy traffic jam on Khanna - Phagwara strech

Last edited by breezydrive : 11th December 2007 at 22:25. Reason: Incomplete reply
breezydrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 22:20   #13
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to bother you again - but what is the route from Ambala other than NH1? You mean Rupnagar-Kiratpur-Nangal-Kangra route?
Old 11th December 2007, 22:39   #14
BHPian

For any query between DELHI - DALHOUSIE, you can PM me anytime!

And for any route in HIMACHAL also.

I'll suggest you spare one more day & visit Dharmsala - Mcleodganj.

While coming back from Dalhousie, reach Banikhet & about 10 km down towards Dunera, turn left to reach Shahpur on NH-20, Dharmsala is only 35 km from here.
From Dharmsala, follow this route:
Dharmsala - kangra - Ranital - Dehra - Chintpurni - Mubarkpur - Una - Nangal - AnandpurSahib - Kiratpur - Ropar = 205 km

Ropar - Kharar - Ambala - Delhi

Last edited by breezydrive : 11th December 2007 at 22:42.
breezydrive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 23:04   #15
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a great deal for the alternative route. Sounds very exciting, cutting through interior Punjab. Maybe I will also try some diversions to see the Bhakra-Nangal Dam - and take the Kangra route to reach Dalhousie.