Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 28th December 2007, 20:24   #1
BHPian

Default Blr - Mysore - Gopalsamy Betta - Ooty - Tanjore - Bangalore

Quick Facts
Trip Route :
Day1: Bangalore - Sri Rangapatna - Bridavan Gardens - St.Philomena's Church - Palace - Hotel
Day2: Mysore - Gopalsamy Betta - Theppakadu - Gudalur - Pykara falls - 9th Mile - Ooty - Kothagiri - Annamar cottage
Day3: Kothagiri - Dodda Betta - OOty Lake - Botanical Garden - Kotha giri
Day4: Kothagiri - Mettu Palayam - Avinasi - tiruppur - kangeyam - trichy - thanjavur
Day5: Halt at Thanjavur - Xmas
Day6: Thanjvaur - Trichy - Namakkal - Salem - Bangalore
Driver : Self
Vehicle : Ford Ikon Flair 1.3 - 2007
Total Kms : 1157
Mileage :14.5
Worst Roads: Gudalur - OOty - Scenic route but roads non existent , Worth taking if you have never travelled in this route
Bad Roads : After travelling Theppakadu - Gudalur -ooty stretch any road looks motorable
Good Roads : Ooty - Kothagiri , Bandipur forest road , Kothagiri - Mettu palayam , Bangalore - Krishnagiri toll gate
Fuel : Shell - Mysore Road , HP - OOty , Reliance - Kattur , Trichy : Fuel quality nothing to complain about but not sure of petrol quantity filled at HP OOTY
Resource used to Plan the trip : Team - BHP [tips for hill drive are of great help , Kudos to the team ] , MapmyIndia , eicher Map Book

My Car

vinai in Bailey's Dungeon

Sri rangapatna Temple

Tippu's Summer Palace - Gumbaz

KRS

On the way to Gopalsamy Betta - had to steer away this herd

Road to Gopalsamy Betta

Muthumalai to gudalur

Gopalsamy betta

Gudalur - ooty road

Botanical garden

On the way to ooty

isacM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2007, 07:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics, Weren't you aware of the Gudalur stretch or you took it just for scenic beauty?
Also, what was your timings from Tanjavur - Bangalore? pls mention when did you start and your break times as well.

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2007, 12:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Tanjore - Bangy timings?

Hai,

Gret pictures, the Gudalur stretch is really great for photography; roads always has been a problem. The Masanagudi-otty stretch though steep, is a gret alternatives, the roads would be better.

It would be nice to see your timings from Tnjore, Trichy, Salem, Bangalore for acedamic interest.

Looks like you enjoyed Chirstmas at Tanjore.

Happy Driving,

--Ramky

===========
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2007, 17:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hey nice pics. Whatz the time taken? Also 14.5kmpl is less for an Ikon in long drives. Have you used AC and what % of time you have used. It had to return atleast 15~16 kmpl on long drives. I'am getting the same in long drives with 95% ac on all the time.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2007, 11:01   #5
BHPian

Thanks for the comments , I was aware of the gudalur stretch condition but since this was my first hill drive I didn't want to attempt 36 hair pin bends with my mum! but finally ended doing night drive in ooty - kothagiri stretch . I would still say Gudalur is worth taking if you have never travelled in this route , very scenic.

As far as the timings , I haven't noted properly but this is what I can re call

Day 1: 7.30 A.M Bangalore Cy Junction - 9 A.M Kamat - Break fast - 12 P.M - Sri ranga patna - 2 p.m lunch on the way to brindavan - 2.30p.m KRS [brindavan] - 6 p.m St.Philomena's - 7 p.m - Palace - 8 p.m Hotel Check in [Near by Palace]

Day2: 8 A.M Mysore - had breakfast at hotel - 9.30 A.M Gopalsamy betta - 3.30 p.M - Pykara - 7 p.m ooty - 8 P.M Kothagiri

Day 3 : Ooty trip

Day 4: 9 A.M ooty - 7 p.m thanjavur - mainly due to traffic diversion near sengippaty had to take kandarvakottai route to tanjore lost 1.30 hr in this

Day 6: 7 A.M thanjvaur - 5.30 p.m bangalore [spent 45 mins in hosur road - breakfast in trichy - lunch at dharmapuri ]
Old 30th December 2007, 11:08   #6
BHPian

snaronikar: I used AC only 15% of time max , mostly the weather was pleasant through out the drive . During the trip my Ikon is yet to complete first service ,now it is finished it should give little more i Guess. Do you use system G or any fuel additive? and any Ikon specific tips please
Old 1st January 2008, 13:37   #7
BHPian

Nice photos, isacM. And an excellent trip summary.

The Bandipur-Mudumalai-Gudalur-Ooty region has a special place in my heart as I had visited these places many times in my childhood. I grew up in Nilambur and my father knew the region like the back of his hand.

A place I am dying to visit again is the Moyar powerhouse. I don't know if they allow visitors there anymore - I think one has to take prior permission from the Tamil Nadu Electricity Board.

The powerhouse is situated several hundred metres down below in the Moyar gorge (or Mysore ditch, as the British called it), the only access to which is through trolleys pulled by an electrical winch. The journeys up and down are unforgettable. From the top, you can only see the rails going down over the steep cliff, and there is no sign of the powerhouse or the river down below. The view of the gorge itself will sweep you off your feet. The moyar river forms the border between Karnataka and Tamil Nadu, so the northern cliff of the gorge is part of Karnataka.

To reach the place you need to go via Masinagudi and past the Maravakandi dam.

A similar winch-ride is available from Glenmorgan down to the Singara powerhouse. It's supposed to be a terrific experience too, but I haven't got a chance to try it yet.
pjay_in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2008, 14:33   #8
BHPian

isacM nice pictures, i liked the first one.
surajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 12:12   #9
Team-BHP Support

IsacM, looks like you finally learnt how to post pics on the forum.
Some nice pics in there, although the ones towards the end werent all that clear.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 23:04   #10
BHPian

benbsb29, During the trip one of my friend got over excited and took snaps very near to fountain in krs which screwed my digicam and this happened first day of the trip . The other snaps were taken with mobile phone and with a back up camera [film roll type] . Needless to say i was bit pi**d but the funniest part is one of the digicam forum suggested me to drop the camera from 2 ft to fix it , instead i knocked the camera at the lens side with my hand [with complete disbelief] and it started working !!!

Camera: Sony P200 Error Code: E:61:00
Old 4th January 2008, 18:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isacM View Post
Thanks for the comments , I was aware of the gudalur stretch condition but since this was my first hill drive I didn't want to attempt 36 hair pin bends with my mum! but finally ended doing night drive in ooty - kothagiri stretch . ]

Few months back, I took this uphill via masinagudi and the roads were not that great (36 bends). Is Gudalar route worst than that?

I have never driven to Ooty via Gudalar. Will it be equally steep and how many HP bends we need to climb (i.e from Coimbatore to Ooty)
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 19:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Few months back, I took this uphill via masinagudi and the roads were not that great (36 bends). Is Gudalar route worst than that?

I have never driven to Ooty via Gudalar. Will it be equally steep and how many HP bends we need to climb (i.e from Coimbatore to Ooty)
Masinagudi is road is heaven then Gudalur is hell...I did the trip first week of Oct but found the roads good...except for the initial 5-6 hairpins which were uneven but otherwise things were smooth...

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 17:06   #13
BHPian

I agree with abhi , going in a car is not a good idea in gudalur route [potholes immly down speed breaker] better you take masinagudi route . If my memory is correct there are 6 HP bends from mettupalayam to ooty. road is good in this stretch. scenic too esp from ooty to kothagiri
Old 5th January 2008, 20:33   #14
BANNED

Great Travelogue, Guys pls post the accomodation also.

This would help me and all fellow TBhpians to take these routes with all these details.

Accomodation review will help in choosing the place to stay or stay away from them for the kind of services.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008, 17:38   #15

great travelogue. Like the Gudalur ooty photo the most. i am travelling to ooty this weekend (first time). planning to start at 6AM from bangalore, looking at the feedbacks about scenic beauty on gudalur strech i am tempted to take that. Please suggest. If it is really bad should i try to cover Pykara falls from ooty? is the Eucylaptus plantation btw ooty and Pyakar falls?

staying in ooty in sherlock.

Arvind
PS: first post on teamBHP
arvindbhp is offline   Reply With Quote