Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 1st December 2008, 10:39   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post

The stretch between Mechari and Pennagaram is beautiful. It passes through a beautiful valley. You have to drive down into the valley and then back up it to reach Pennagaram.
Can you tell me the quality of this stretch between Mecheri and Pennagaram, in terms of road condition, traffic etc?
prakash_ajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 20:31   #32
BHPian

(Reverse Oreder) Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Thoppur-Mecheri-Mettur-Ammapet-Anthiyur-Athani-Sathyamangalam-Annur-Mettypalayam.
Very good Road man !!! Wow !!!
While going to Mettypalayam we took Mysore-Chamarahanagar-Bennur. Horrible road after Mysore till you reach TN Border.
I really appreciate TN Road.
Sowmya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 21:18   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
(Reverse Oreder) Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Thoppur-Mecheri-Mettur-Ammapet-Anthiyur-Athani-Sathyamangalam-Annur-Mettypalayam.
Very good Road man !!! Wow !!!
Sowmya,

Well, I was more specific about the stretch from Pennagaram-Mecheri. I have taken the other routes, (Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Thoppur-Mecheri and Hosur-Rayakottai-Palacode-Thoppur-Mecheri) quite a few times and I agree both routes are pretty good. Now, I am thinking of trying this road, which probably hasn't been tried by many:

Hosur-Denkanikottai-Anchetti-Pennagaram-Mecheri. I know that the road from Hosur till Anchetti is decent with one or two bad patches. But I would like to know how good the road is from Anchetti to Mecheri through Pennagaram.

Anyone got some inputs?
Old 16th January 2009, 17:59   #34
BHPian

Has anyone got any updates on the Bangalore - Malvalli - Kollegal - Cbe route?? Is it doable or is it better off going by any of the oother routes.
P1tBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009, 19:37   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1tBull View Post
Has anyone got any updates on the Bangalore - Malvalli - Kollegal - Cbe route?? Is it doable or is it better off going by any of the oother routes.
About 2 years back, half of the aforementioned stretch was difficult. And I if I remember right, the first 60-70 kilometers from Bangalore is nice and the trouble starts after that. Unless you know for sure that the condition has improved, I won't recommend this route. Instead try the NH7 or Hosur-Rayakottai-Palacode-Thoppur-Mettur-Bhavani-Coimbatore. The latter would save you around 20 Kilometers. But you may have to ask for directions.
Old 16th January 2009, 19:58   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1tBull View Post
Nope the road remains in bad state. Even though it is the shortest route to Coimbatore its been in a bad state for a long time. Someone in tbhp did this stretch and cribbed about the road from Maddur or Kanakapura all the way till they hit the TN border.

The other route via Nanjangud - Chamrajnagar is so so. Chamrajnagar to TN border is bad from what I heard.

You would do well to go via Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Thoppur. This entire section is 4 laned and you can cover it pretty fast. Thoppur - Mettur - Ammapettai - Sathy - Cbe would be the fastest.

For the general information of others, do not try Hosur - Denkanikottai - Anchetti - Pennagaram. My friend took the Anchetti - Pennagaram route and got stuck majorly. I think there is a road directly from Denkanikottai - Pennagaram but am not sure about it.

Pennagaram - Mechari is an amazing drive. I've done it a couple of times and the views are amazing. If I have the time I'll take this route when I go next time and put up fotos.

Last edited by csentil : 16th January 2009 at 20:08.
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 15:35   #37
BHPian

Bangalore - Malvalli - Kollegal - Cbe route - Any update on this route? Also any idea about a place called germalam in TN?
cuttingcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 16:50   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttingcrew View Post
Bangalore - Malvalli - Kollegal - Cbe route - Any update on this route? Also any idea about a place called germalam in TN?
Dont try this route. Malvalli is not in good shape. Bettre you can take Nanjangud route. After ChamarajaNagar its same for both the route. Recently done till COIMBATORE.
arin_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 16:59   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romits View Post
1. Bangalore to Coimbatore

2. Coimbatore to Bangalore

Route: Coimbatore – Sathyamangalam – Kollegal – Malavalli – Kanakapura - Bangalore

Distance ~320 km

I was under the impression that this route is shorter than Route 1 by around 50 + kms. Is it because you didn't take Chamarajanagar route or my information is not accurate?
gadadhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 13:39   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Nope the road remains in bad state. Even though it is the shortest route to Coimbatore its been in a bad state for a long time. Someone in tbhp did this stretch and cribbed about the road from Maddur or Kanakapura all the way till they hit the TN border.

The other route via Nanjangud - Chamrajnagar is so so. Chamrajnagar to TN border is bad from what I heard.

You would do well to go via Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Thoppur. This entire section is 4 laned and you can cover it pretty fast. Thoppur - Mettur - Ammapettai - Sathy - Cbe would be the fastest.

I travelled between Whitefield, bangalore to Coimbatore (Ondipudur- Trichy Road) on May 01, 2010. Left Bangalore at 815am. Took teh Varthur- Sarjapura Road and reached Attibele at 902am.- NH 7 was a breeze in the four lane road all the way upto Salem. All along used the Byepass at Krishnagiri, Dharmapuri, Omalur and before reaching Salem took the Byepass to switch from NH 7 to NH 47 and proceeded towards Coimbatore. I did not take the turn to Mettur at Thoppur.

I took a halt at Arasur, Paladam near Coimbatore for a fuel halt (Reliance Diesel is sold here) and behind it there is Annapurna Group's run veg restaurant, where we took lunch at 1.00pm. Left at 2.00pm to be at destination at 2.45pm. Took the byepass run by L&T, which is a toll road towards Kerala to enter Coimbatore near Trichy Road.

On the way back towards Mumbai, I took the route of NH 209 via Annur, SatyamangaLam, Chamrajnagar, Nanjangud to take the NH 212 to Mysore.
The road between Chamrajnagar and Nanjangud was okay and motorable and we could maintain an average speed of 60kmph in this stretch in our Innova.
INNOWAGON_CL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 15:30   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
Sowmya,

Well, I was more specific about the stretch from Pennagaram-Mecheri. I have taken the other routes, (Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Thoppur-Mecheri and Hosur-Rayakottai-Palacode-Thoppur-Mecheri) quite a few times and I agree both routes are pretty good. Now, I am thinking of trying this road, which probably hasn't been tried by many:

Hosur-Denkanikottai-Anchetti-Pennagaram-Mecheri. I know that the road from Hosur till Anchetti is decent with one or two bad patches. But I would like to know how good the road is from Anchetti to Mecheri through Pennagaram.

Anyone got some inputs?
Finally, I tried this road myself last month when coming back to Bangalore. After Mecheri, I took left towards Pennagaram and I was pretty impressed with the road initially. I mean it's no 4 lane road and at places it's only 1 lane. However, the road itself was even and smooth and there was very little traffic and landscape is spectacular.

Approaching Hogenakkal, I had the option of taking the Dharmapuri road and then joining the Rayakottai road. But I opted to drive straight towards Anchetti/Denkanikottai. That's when the nightmare started. The road is unbelievably bad! It didn't help that my car having very low ground clearance. Often I had to stop and negotiate pits inch by inch. Overall, it won't be an exaggeration at all if I said there was no road for that 20 KM or so.
Old 3rd April 2012, 14:41   #42
BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore – Coimbatore - Bangalore. The road less traveled.

Sorry for knocking the old thread.

Any updation on Kollegal - Hanur - Anthiyur road. Would like to know the possibilities of travelling this section in morning time possibly by bike.

Ram.
Ramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 14:18   #43
BHPian

I had been to Chamarajnagar last thursday, took the route via Kanakapura, Malavalli and Kollegal. The road condition is good and has been patched up nicely. This route is doeable in 3 hours now.
deehunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 16:02   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
I had been to Chamarajnagar last thursday, took the route via Kanakapura, Malavalli and Kollegal. The road condition is good and has been patched up nicely. This route is doeable in 3 hours now.
That is the standard 209 route. I think what @ramp is looking for is the route stretch once you branch off from NH209.
The route which goes via Hanur-Ramapura-Bargur (Late Veerappan terittory) is the route for which update was sought.

Even I have not seen this route updated for a long time. Last I read was a TL by @Jeev Menon.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...es-mysore.html (Tipu looted Kerala, Malabar annexes Mysore)
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 16:10   #45
BHPian

Apologies for my ignorance, the road to Chamarajnagar used to be very bad till recently, so thought of updating the status.

Last edited by deehunk : 10th April 2012 at 16:12.
deehunk is offline   Reply With Quote