Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 6th January 2008, 19:00   #1
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Reclaiming Bannerghatta Zoo

We woke up on Sunday morning with a thought to go to the Bannerghatta Zoo for the sake of my little daughter.

Anyways I havent read any travelogues in the near past covering the Zoo, so here is it.

The Zoo is part of the bannerghatta national park some 18 Km from my house and entry fee is Rs 20 on weekdays and Rs 35 on holidays.

We started at around 10 AM on our Safari and reached there around 10:35 AM, hardly any traffic and very few visitors were present at the National park.Took the ticket and went inside.

Snake........................................Sloth Bear

Fish.............................................. ..............King Cobra

You can take a predetermined path along the Zoo with the animals, birds, reptile cages/ enclosures lined on both side.

Leopard........................................... ............The Jackal

We were able to cover the whole zoo in appx 2hrs with a short coffee break.

Ghariyal.......................................... .............The Hyena

If you are carrying your own food remember not to carry any plastic bags etc, they will remove it and put it in paper bags at the gate.

Crocodile......................................... ............Star Turtles

We reached home by around 1:00 PM after visiting the Zoo, its worth the visit.

The Majestic Elephants

You can do a Complete safari too, if you want to spend some more time and want to see the animals in their natural habitat.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2008, 19:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics. Atleast I did not know there was a zoo in B'ghatta National Park..
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2008, 21:16   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Didnt go for the Safari???
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2008, 21:40   #4
BHPian

Is there any fee for carrying a camera inside?
redrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2008, 22:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Yes, there's a charge on still and video cameras. You can buy a single ticket which covers the safaris as well or can buy tickets only for the zoo.

Was pretty badly maintained a few years back, but now its pretty good, especially after the animal description signboards near animal enclosures have been sponsored by corporates.
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2008, 22:20   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Nice pics. Atleast I did not know there was a zoo in B'ghatta National Park..
Dude, where are on earth are you staying.

Bannerghatta is a national park, with zoo and safari as decent tourist attractions. One of the first things anybody does after they move to Bangalore is visit this park.

If you haven't seen it and have kids in your family its worth a visit. And yes, dont forget to take the Tiger and lion safari. Normally I go for the safari first and then visit the park as the queues for safari tend to get longer in afternoon because of obvious reasons.

Also avoid going there on weekends as it gets crowded. Inspite of this if you still want to go on weekends, go there a bit early in the morning around 9:00 as most of the crowd will start arriving after 11:00 and you will also beat the dreaded Bangalore traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
Is there any fee for carrying a camera inside?
Yes, there is a nominal fee for the cameras, I think around Rs 20 or a bit more. Most of the people sneak in their compact digitals without paying fees. But considering that its a well kept zoo payment of payment of camera fees should be taken as a small contribution towards the upkeep of the park.
deepaktpatil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2008, 22:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

so dadu, today morning was a day in the zoo; great photos.

OT: did you not check with them if you can take your 2.2 inside for the safari. it is very much part of the family, isnt it, and this is a family trip, wasn't it??? :-)
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 10:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

No done it many times and this one was for my kid and in a relaxed manner.

As others have suggested take the full safari (includes the Zoo entry, if you are going the first time.

Camera fee is Rs 20/-, the fee structure is clearly mentioned in big boards near the ticketing counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Didnt go for the Safari???
Old 7th January 2008, 10:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

In 1992, private vehicles were allowed inside the Safari.

An incident happenned on the Safari in 1992 when a tiger snatched away a child from his grand father and the half-eaten child's body was found later.

It was lunch time for the tigers then and they were waiting for the food to arrive when one of the tigers probably mistook the child to its food on seeing the grandfather swinging the child to show the tiger.

The child in question was traveling in a private car driven by the father. The child was seated on the grandfather's lap and the car stopped very close to a tiger.

The grandfather is rumored to have rolled down the cars window glass and held the kid in the window to give the child a better look at the tiger.

After this, there's only the safari buses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
so dadu, today morning was a day in the zoo; great photos.

OT: did you not check with them if you can take your 2.2 inside for the safari. it is very much part of the family, isnt it, and this is a family trip, wasn't it??? :-)

Last edited by dadu : 7th January 2008 at 10:55.
Old 7th January 2008, 12:02   #10
BHPian

Aaah you missed the butterfly park? Thats the latest addition and honestly it is really good. Atleast the way its done. One can also spot a lot of birds behind that place (there is a small water body) What I like about Bannerghatta is some genuine effort to keep the place clean. They check the bags (hope its being done now too :-) ) to clear up all the plastic and provide paper covers to put the stuff in. But parking is still very badly managed.
kvish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 12:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

I was aware of the butterfly park but just didnt want to cover anything else except the zoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
Aaah you missed the butterfly park? Thats the latest addition and honestly it is really good. Atleast the way its done. One can also spot a lot of birds behind that place (there is a small water body) What I like about Bannerghatta is some genuine effort to keep the place clean. They check the bags (hope its being done now too :-) ) to clear up all the plastic and provide paper covers to put the stuff in. But parking is still very badly managed.
Old 7th January 2008, 12:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

Dadu, You are completely wrong about the private vehicle thing. It happened in one of the safari vans. The doors did not have the metal mesh (only glass) which was broken by the tiger. The old man was waving the child towards the tiger. Wonder where you got this story.
srishiva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 12:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

I have never heard any tiger breaking a glass of a safari vehicle across the world(btw its toughened glass), if true, then why only the child was picked and other passengers left to their own, it could have been a massacare then.

Anyways, there are various versions of this as you and me pointed out with no concrete proof of what exactly happenned then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Dadu, You are completely wrong about the private vehicle thing. It happened in one of the safari vans. The doors did not have the metal mesh (only glass) which was broken by the tiger. The old man was waving the child towards the tiger. Wonder where you got this story.
Old 7th January 2008, 13:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Anyways, there are various versions of this as you and me pointed out with no concrete proof of what exactly happenned then.
probably a myth passed on. Nice pics dadu. The farthest i reached in this zoo was to the entrance gate, it was a holiday & there was way too much crowd for me to get in. Just saw the bears outside & left.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 13:10   #15
BHPian

Yes you got the wrong picture, it was in the safari van that this happened without mesh and the old man waved his grand child to the tiger and the tiger thought it was food and just took the child away.

This was big news here in Bangalore and was in all the papers possible.. just a couple of days before this incident could happen as youngsters me, parents and family members were on the safari and I think it was just 2 days before this incident happened.

We were on a safari van and the drive shaft broke and the whole van was booked for our family and nearly 25 of us were in the van. We waited for another van to come and then we got down from the broken down van and moved to the other one and it was such a scary sight to see lions and tigers just about a 100 ft away as we walked to the next van. And all that those guards had were large bamboo sticks in their hands.

Oh man I just cannot forget that incident! And the sad news broke out about the girl after a couple of days and we all were scared like mad and though what if it was one of us.
hemanth.das is offline   Reply With Quote