Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 7th January 2008, 22:27   #16
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Samurai-san, excellent write-up and photos. DK coast has been my stress buster for the last 20 years.

Basale? Oh man, must ask my MIL to make some soppina-huli with basale next Sunday. Mangalore Stores, here I come.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 11:01   #17
BHPian

Reminds me a lot of villages in kasaragod. Nice place.
artofzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 11:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Basale? Oh man, must ask my MIL to make some soppina-huli with basale next Sunday. Mangalore Stores, here I come.
My mouth is watering ... Basale sambar with rotti or Rice is too good.
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 23:37   #19
BHPian

Man talk about Basale then Marvai(shell fish) comes to my mind,have already started salivating need to pester my mom to prepare it
yogi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 23:52   #20
Team-BHP Support

Good thing I didn't name all the vegetables, you guys are turning into a foodie thread.

I could have mentioned Tauthe (Mangalore cucumber?), then people would scream Tauthe Koddel.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 09:27   #21
BHPian

Hmm.. as a newbie in M'lore I think I need to take some cues from you folks on what local delicacies to try. But

.... but as always, the best local stuff are never available in restaurants.

Last edited by Samurai : 9th January 2008 at 11:39.
pjay_in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 11:42   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjay_in View Post
.... but as always, the best local stuff are never available in restaurants.
That's easy, gate crash a wedding, they do that a lot in Mangalore.

Or pester some colleague to take or invite you to some traditional function. It is easier than you think.
Old 10th January 2008, 00:53   #23
Senior - BHPian

Samu I know am late, nevertheless brilliant !! Coastal Karnataka is always a treat to one's eye.

I have to admit this pic has been one of my fav's since Rudra shot it and posted.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008, 01:13   #24
Senior - BHPian

Samurai.. nice write up. awesome shots to back it up as well. Like someone said.. looks a lot like Kerala. West Coast scenery at its best.

Also I did not know Jelly fish come up the river..
IronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008, 13:43   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It is just an ordinary coastal Karnataka village along NH-17. Hope you don't mind, I prefer not to name it.
You've provided ample clues and you expect people not to figure out where it is? To paraphrase what Krishna said to Arjuna (or vice versa; Indian mythology is not my strong point): shambhavi yuge yuge...
Edsel Rulez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008, 17:35   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
You've provided ample clues and you expect people not to figure out where it is?
It is not exactly a secret considering some Team-BHPians have visited there. It is possible to identify if one checks in google map.
Old 11th January 2008, 15:06   #27
BHPian

Samurai,Very nice travelogue..Your parents home is a pardise you dont need to find a resort for your vacation.. where can anyone find Jelly fish near their home. wow and that too they are giants..Thanks for taking us around that little paradise.
shazikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 22:39   #28
Team-BHP Support

Talking about living around nature... I just returned from a dinner party, the party was at the house of the host. And many of you may have seen this house if you have travelled via Agumbe ghat. The house is smack opposite Sita River Nature Camp, which will put it right in middle of the Someshwara National forest. They get more wild visitors than civilised ones I suppose. Today they were playing loud music and had lots of lights to keep the animals away. But naxals are their real headache than wild animals. Imagine their daily life.

Last edited by Samurai : 17th January 2008 at 22:44.
Old 18th January 2008, 09:21   #29
BHPian

Very interesting, Samurai. For the occasional visitor it may seem dreamlike but as you said, life in such places could pose a lot of challenges.

Talking about naxalites, how big is the threat in these parts for tourists and travelers in general?
pjay_in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2008, 09:44   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjay_in View Post
Talking about naxalites, how big is the threat in these parts for tourists and travelers in general?
So far in their interaction with civilians, they have mostly not gone beyond intimidation. Never bothered tourists so far, and you never know what future holds. But they always come visiting carrying firearms. Once they burnt down Hiriadka police station. The naxals are still trying to build support among the labour/tribal class. But this area doesn't have strong labour population, so it has been very slow for them.

But they have scared enough farm owners off the farms. We have relatives (old ladies) whose farm is surrounded by dense forest. They eventually moved into Hebri town to escape the frequent naxal visits to the farm.

The government acts as if no problem exists. Every IPS guy who gets assigned to head the anti-naxal task force, pulls heaven and earth to get transferred out. The reason being there is no resources (men and equipment) assigned to the task force. The prevalent joke around this area goes as follows, if you don't want cops show up in a place, report naxal presence to them. They will be busy running the other way.