Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 18th January 2008, 23:57   #46
BHPian

Black Pearl ,

Awesome clips , I am yet grappling with how to load snaps , but will figure out soon . Have read the guide in the site so will come up . I have recommended alot of people for Sikkim after my trip , it is just stunning . I just stood up and saluted the drivers there in Sikkim , and Mahindra's are put to best use in those difficult and tricky terrain . I just got too bowled by jeeps and finally bought a scorpio after saving money after my wagon R .

Thanks for this re-breather of Fresh Air ..

Regards.. Kat
kARTIK IYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2008, 01:11   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Most likely, the inaccessibility is more because the tour operators clout.

I was following another thread on xbhp

HOW! sikkim chapter with all the updated details of Sikkim. - xBhp

and these guys have a comment like this:

"""abount the permit issue... if u cant find any army contact, Sikkim Home Dept and Sikkim Police together can provide the permit... but that totally depends on your convincing skill... its tough but possible... keep one or two full day at Gangtok for convincing purpose...""""

and also later on

How to acquire permits in Sikkim?

Now this is million dollar question and the most disturbing one when you plan for Sikkim , specially North Sikkim. Since sikkim has borders with China ,its a highly sensitive area and entry is totally restricted. Sikkim police issues separate permits to enter both Nathula and North Sikkim respectively. But Sikkim police is very strict in issuing permits to people who want to explore Sikkim on their own private vehicles. Frankly speaking Sikkim police doesnt like the idea of issuing permits to a group of bikers who want to go on their own, because if something happens to the bikers Sikkim police is not much interested to take their responsibility.
We approached Indian Army and could convince them about our plan for our whole trip. They were a little skeptical about the whole idea but agreed after requesting them. Once army was convinced getting the permits from police was childs play. I would like to point out here that be sure about acquiring the permits before you venture for North Sikkim.

Would wait for the day as of now for going beyond Mangan [Gurudongmar and Yumthang] by self drive - as it looks like good contacts are inevitable.
There lies what I was talking about. No one seems to know the right process. Can the permits be arranged from (say) Calcutta. But now when I think of it, based on recalling old incidents, that a little money could have helped.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2008, 11:30   #48
Joz
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
very nice pics @Joz. When did you go there?
Went there last May. One thing I noticed was that the number of Sumo's going to North Sikkim/ Gurudongmar was much lesser than the number going to Nathula. The driver was telling me that the Mahindra 4x4's are anyday better than the Sumo's. And boy, these guys can drive!!
Joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2008, 23:21   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joz View Post
Went there last May. One thing I noticed was that the number of Sumo's going to North Sikkim/ Gurudongmar was much lesser than the number going to Nathula. The driver was telling me that the Mahindra 4x4's are anyday better than the Sumo's. And boy, these guys can drive!!
mahindra 4x4s are good beyond doubt but IMO they are really not needed to go to Gurudongmar unless the roads become bad during monsoon. anyway I dont think tourists are allowed to go there during monsoon.
BlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 00:25   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
There lies what I was talking about. No one seems to know the right process. Can the permits be arranged from (say) Calcutta. But now when I think of it, based on recalling old incidents, that a little money could have helped.
Their is one guy called Niel Law (the same guy whose land rover has bowled me) who has said that he can arrange for a pass if intimated a few days before hand. This is some good news .
Old 23rd January 2008, 02:34   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Their is one guy called Niel Law (the same guy whose land rover has bowled me) who has said that he can arrange for a pass if intimated a few days before hand. This is some good news .
Good news indeed, keep his contact id's handy, but Few Meaning?!
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 02:52   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Good news indeed, keep his contact id's handy, but Few Meaning?!
10-15 days along with the car reg. number that intends to go there.
Old 21st June 2008, 11:51   #53
Senior - BHPian

There is a newspaper report that road to Gangtok is closed thanks to the problems in Darjeeling:

Sikkim's plea to GJM for window period on NH blockade
Gangtok, Jun 20 (UNI) As Sikkim remained cut off since Monday due to GJM sponsored indefinite Darjeeling bandh, the tour operators here today urged for a breather of any kind to lift blockade on NH 31-A blockade.

Travel Agents Association of Sikkim (TAAS), the umbrella body of tour operators, said the state was reeling under the impact of its sole link being blocked affecting economic activity of Sikkim.

"Not only there are 100 odd tourists standard here but many students of the state who have to appear for admission in different colleges outside the state are being affected by the blockade," said S.K.Pradhan, president TAAS.

There were also local people standard in the state, who have to meet pressing deadlines outside, said Pradhan.

"We request the GJM and concerned authorities that NH 31 A should be kept open as Sikkim woes are increasing daily. A window passage should be given to Sikkim along the highway so that supply of basic amenities should be restored", said Karma Bhutia, TAAS vice president.

Bhutia warned that such incidents did not augur well for the tourism prospects of the whole Eastern Himalayan region as Sikkim and Darjeeling are promoted as a single destination.

TAAS advisor said that international tourism will take a hit in the Sikkim-Darjeeling region due to such incidents as it had affected Nepal during its earlier turbulent period.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2008, 09:49   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Awesome BlackPearl - you sure are an adventurer. Next time, do ping me when you are in these parts. :-)

The Calcutta-Siliguri part really intimidates me. Is is doable in a small car? Were you the lone one at the wheel?
Inspired by BP, I will do this route often. I am coming to Kolkata soon. Hope to meet you at Siliguri few months down the line.
btirthankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015, 13:07   #55
BHPian

Default Advice needed - Sikkim tour - Itinerary/ Route Plan

Friends,

Im planning a trip to Sikkim with family during Diwali.

The temptation to drive was huge as it is a trip which is in my pending list since 2 years. However, 2 things kept me from driving there 1) very difficult to get permits for private outside cars there, 2) not enough leaves

Therefore, decided to fly to Bagdongra and hire a taxi from there. Ive total 12 days including to & fro air journey. If we remove 2 days of to & fro, well have net of 10 days to spend in Sikkim.

With that in mind, I read thro various travelogues including ADCs twin travelogues and jotted down following places to visit:

Old Silk Route Zuluk Loops, Nathu La, Changu Lake, (anti-clockwise)
Or Gangtok Changu Lake Nathu La (Clockwise)
Lachen Gurudongmar Lake Thangu valley- Chopta Valley
Lachung Yumathang Valley of Flowers Zero Point Katao
Pelling
Darjeeling

Im confused about whether to do Nathu La circuit Clockwise or Anti Clockwise. In Clockwise, I might miss Zuluk loops & Old Silk route. If I do it Anti Clockwise, then its a long journey from IXB so I might need to break it halting for a night somewhere on the way? Which are good scenic places to stay on Old Silk route? Pedong? (I'm more inclined to Anti-clockwise route )

Can the above list of places be accommodated in 10 days?

Request advice from the experts on what could be the best Itinerary / route plan.
TheIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015, 13:32   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Advice needed - Sikkim tour - Itinerary/ Route Plan

As you mentioned 10 days, this trip of mine done long back came to my mind - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...th-sikkim.html (10 Days - Darjeeling, Kalimpong,Gangtok and North Sikkim)

We had rented an Armada 4x4 from Gangtok. Personally I would recommend the following routes over the old silk route -

Lachen – Gurudongmar Lake – Thangu valley- Chopta Valley
Lachung – Yumathang – Valley of Flowers – Zero Point – Katao

All these can be done in a 10 day trip. I hope you don't have any kid travelling as Gurudongmar can be a bit of a problem for kids below 12 years of age.

I will PM you the number of a person whom I recently met. He drives an Innova. He can be of help if you plan to take a cab from Bagdogra.

P.S. - We went to Zuluk last week. We went till Kupup lake and did not do the entire circuit till Gangtok. Here is the link of the travelogue from bhpian cr4nkshaft - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...back-seat.html (Zuluk from the back seat)

Last edited by BlackPearl : 13th October 2015 at 13:36.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015, 15:41   #57
BHPian

Thanks Blackpearl

Quote:
I hope you don't have any kid travelling as Gurudongmar can be a bit of a problem for kids below 12 years of age.
Oh. 2 kids with us - 13 year old & 8 year old

Is the effect of AMS severe there at Gurudongmar? What if we take Oxygen cylinders and Diamox tabs? Will they be enough?
TheIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 19:21   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIndian View Post
Thanks Blackpearl

Oh. 2 kids with us - 13 year old & 8 year old

Is the effect of AMS severe there at Gurudongmar? What if we take Oxygen cylinders and Diamox tabs? Will they be enough?
It is better not to take risk with an 8 year old. The Rongli-Padamchen-Nathang-Kupup-Tsomgo-Nathu La-Gangtok i.e. the Old Silk Route would be a better option. Though Tsomgo Lake or Chhangu Lake (commonly known) is at 14000 feet, it is much lower than Gurudongmar (17K + feet). Hence there will be less chance of AMS on this route.

The name of person I was talking about, who drives an Innova, is Durgesh. His number is 9733215509. You can contact him and tell him about your plans in advance.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote