Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 11th January 2010, 18:25   #16
BHPian

Hi,
I am planning a trip from Bengaluru to Udupi in February and came across this thread. Any idea, if the route you mentioned is still in a good state? I'd rather avoid the usual routes which are reputed to be horrible.
shreeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 19:56   #17
BHPian

Yes Shreeps, most part of this route is still good... atleast better than the other routes.

Rough stretch :

Bangalore to Hassan - 4 laning work in progress
Chikmagalur to Balehonnur to Magundi - Rough at some parts

Lot of curvy roads from Balehonnur to Karkala slows you down - relax and enjoy the drive down the western ghats !!
roamingrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 00:42   #18
BHPian

Thanks Roamingrao. Can you give me an estiimate of how much travelling time this entails (from B'lore to Udupi?
I am a non resident Kannadiga and will be driving for such long distance in KA for the first time due to a family function. I will be traveling with a 3 month old baby and assorted family members (oldest being in their 70s). So am a bit worried on how the trip and roads are currently.
Old 12th January 2010, 12:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post
Thanks Roamingrao. Can you give me an estiimate of how much travelling time this entails (from B'lore to Udupi?
I am a non resident Kannadiga and will be driving for such long distance in KA for the first time due to a family function. I will be traveling with a 3 month old baby and assorted family members (oldest being in their 70s). So am a bit worried on how the trip and roads are currently.
Travel time is approx 7.5hrs from BLR-UDUPI.
Take the below mentioned route.
BLR-HASSAN-BELUR-CHIKMAGALUR-ALDUR-BALEHONNUR-MAGUNDI-KALASA-KUDREMUKHA-KARKALA-UDUPI.
This is the best possible route as of now, with less potholes and smooth ride.
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 18:53   #20
BHPian

Thanks sushrutha. Planning to travel around Feb 4th. Will post letting everyone know how it went. In case you hear any road related updates prior to that I'll be really grateful if you can let me know.
Old 12th January 2010, 19:31   #21
BHPian

I went to Bangalore -Hassan-Chikmagalur-Aldhur-Balehonnur(sringeri)- Magundi-Kalasa-Hornadu-Kalasa-Magundi-Kottigehara-Mudigere-CKM- Bangalore on 25th to 28th dec last year.

Roads from Balehonnur to Magundi is bad so is the route from Magundi to Kottigehara. All other roads are good.

suggest u go via Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Kottigehara - Magundi - Kalasa - Kudremukh - Karkala - Udipi.

If interested just before(.5kms) Kalasa , there is a small trail that goes up a mountain top(called duggappan katte), there is a tea stall right at the bottom.

You can have a very good view of the mountain ranges from that place, don't miss it if you have time. you can go up in your car or walk.
My i10 sportz pulled 5 adults without a problem.

Also another tip to all(If you don't know this already):
Depending on which part of Bangalore you take towards Hassan, try taking the Magadi road out of Bangalore - Thippagondanahalli - Magadi - Kunigal (thus avoiding the NH4 and its construction).

You will find one of the best roads(even though its two lane only), hardly any traffic and with a scenic route.
DoNotHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 21:46   #22
BHPian

Shreeps, Green signal for this route from our chikmagalur guru, Sushrutha. What more could i add ?

Plan for an early start, say 5am ( if convienient ), breakfast at chikmagalur( 1 hour ). No good options to have lunch or eat thereafter - except tea at kudremukh. you could be at Udupi before 1.30pm.

Everybody will enjoy this route, infact elders would find it refreshing !

Hope this helps............have great drive !
Old 26th January 2011, 23:24   #23

Default Re: Bangalore - Udupi and Back ( Via Kalasa )

Thanks to the detailed information in this thread I was able to try out this route. Here is my note on this.

In the last 3-4 months, I had been to Manipal and back twice in my Optra. Took slightly different routes and here is a short summary.

Bangalore - Kunigal - Hassan - Belur - Gonibeedu - Mudigere - Kottigehara - Magundi - Balehole - Kalasa - Kudremukh - Bajagoli - Karkala - Udupi

The roads were mostly fine. The issues I hit upon were
[1] The construction between Nelmangala and Kunigal was painful. There were a couple of speed breakers that my car ended by struggling and scraping to get over despite my trying to approach it sideways and slowly.
[2] The Belur - Gonibeedu - Mudigere - Kottigehara - Magundi stretch was full of potholes and you really could not push ahead. If you drive an extra 15 kms, the alternative - Hassan - Chickmagalur - Vastare - Balehonnur - Magundi - is a clean stretch with no such hassles. Did that second time around.

Apart from this the road is pretty much good. Some serious potholes between Bajagoli and Karkala; if you spot, you can slow down and maneuver around. This is about a 10 hour journey (about 400kms) - We had 3 pit stops.

On the way back in one trip, I had to visit Mangalore. So decided to brave the Shiradi ghats after checking with the locals. As you get closer to Gundiya, the roads really gets bad and continues to stay so till you exit the ghats. If you are dead slow in these stretches, you can get away without damaging you car, but it IS STRESSFULLY SLOW. If you have a SUV, you might hurry over some of these stretches, but a low seated sedan can make it only really slowly.

On my way back I had to get to Kormangala in Bangalore. To avoid the Kunigal, Nelmangala stretch I turned towards Magadi. Turned out to be a good decision. At the insistence of my son, I got on to the NICE road after Magadi and floored it upto Hosur road and then headed into Koramangala. Couple of things on this road
[1] The road between Kunigal and Bangalore is good except for a short stretch around Magadi town - say about 4 to 6 kms.
[2] If you know your way around Basveshwaranagar, and it is off-peak hours, it is easier to head straight up Magadi road and come via Majestic to Koramangala - I did this in my second trip and it was good without hassles. NICE road route is a very long detour distance wise.

I am praying that they get the Shiradi Ghat section fixed for good this time - whenever that is. Once that is fixed Bangalore - Hassan - Shiradi - Mangalore - Udipi will certainly be faster. However if you want to enjoy nature, take it easy, sip tea in a couple of tea estates, the Kudhremukh route is an excellant one. In fact when I did the trip in Sept/Oct amidst a rains, Chickmagalur - Kudhremukh - Karkala stretch was outstanding beauty - I cannot capture it in words - the waterfalls, mist, clouds, greenery was just fantastic. Happy driving.
rajag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 09:55   #24
Team-BHP Support

That was a good timing as well. CKM in 4 hours very good. I am sedate driver. I take about 5 to 5.5 with one long BF break (30-45 minutes).

Could not drive without break till CKM!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 11:12   #25
BHPian

Hi rajag,

Thanks for sharing.

This is an old thread. You'll find more and latest experiences and 'tricks' to travel from Bangalore / Mysore to DK / Udupi districts here in this blockbuster thread :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ore-udupi.html (The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi)

Happy driving to you too !

Regards, Rao