Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 28th February 2008, 12:24   #16
BHPian

Default awesome

I remember seeing bhuta kola in my mom's village (again - borders of kerala, a place called Bekur) and I remember getting scared when I was a kid thinking that the ghosts had entered the bodies of the performers
Nice pics, rekindled some old memories
vasanthn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2008, 12:25   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

Next month there is a public Bhoota Aradane event which is organised by my dad's family near Suratkal, if anyone wants to check it out, PM me.

I'd love to come, but my concern is I'll return possessed by ghosts.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2008, 12:31   #18
BHPian

Awesome pics.I used to watch most of the bootha Kola and yakshagana when
was I Primary school .Now I can only watch photos here , good one.
balechaparka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2008, 14:10   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayabusa View Post
Awesome pics Samurai!!!! BTW which cam have you used?
Thanks, this is the bad boy:
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2008, 14:56   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Absolutely gorgeous photos! My compliments to you.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2008, 15:08   #21
Senior - BHPian

Nice photos,Samurai.
And congratulations on the new Rocket launcher. Let me borrow it next time I wanna play "Rambo"!
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2008, 15:24   #22
Team-BHP Support

Thanks Sam, not as crispy and clean as your Baverian pictorial though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
And congratulations on the new Rocket launcher. Let me borrow it next time I wanna play "Rambo"!
Nitrous, only the E3 body is new, the rocket launcher is old. You did see it in action first hand in Kelambakkam.
Old 28th February 2008, 16:32   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hey Samurai , thats a nice set of pics and yes its a different ball game altogether to shoot at high ISO. I presume you dint use the flash. Did you ?

I have actually witnessed this in Kerala once, its called Theyyam like Steer mentioned. Wasn't into photography then, next chance I wouldnt miss it.

Quote:
I'd love to come, but my concern is I'll return possessed by ghosts.
Also Mahesh , you don't have to worry about being possessed by the spirits. I am sure they would keep 10 arm distance from you if you were in the vicinity.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2008, 16:57   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Hey Samurai , thats a nice set of pics and yes its a different ball game altogether to shoot at high ISO. I presume you dint use the flash. Did you ?
Flash was not an option, it would distract the dancers and they might knock me over along with the camera claiming wrath of Bhoota, and people would believe them.

Besides, flash would destroy the ambience of the dim available light. Earlier days when electricity was not available, the entire event used to take place using the torches they have in their hands. Now they have tubelight, which was kind of spoiling the scene.

Imagine ISO-1600, F/3.5 and 1/30, I left it in manual exposure. There is absolutely no room to increase speed. Decrease EV, you will find too much noise in the shadows. The E3 performance beyond ISO-1600 is not worth talking about.

And I had to shoot telephoto at EFL 100-400mm since I had to maintain a decent distance from the wildly jumping dancers. From my childhood experience I know that they can be unpredictable, and even drunk sometimes.
Old 28th February 2008, 17:39   #25
Senior - BHPian

This reminds me of my KREC Surathkal days. I had witnessed Bhoota Aaradhane once during my stay there. It made an interesting watch. It has been more than 10 years now and I do not remember too much of it though.

Good photos considering the light condition and the fact that you were not allowed to use the flash.
deepakhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2008, 21:09   #26
Senior - BHPian

Samurai, those are some really fantastic pics. Great!!! Surprising that all the ambient light you have is only a 40W tube light.

Theyyam is a normal human being turned god, (daivam > thaivam > theyyam. Got it?) and the theyyams we see now represent the originals. Theyyams do not claim to be possessed. They represent.

Velichappadus, OTOH, are about being possessed by god / spirits. These are common in Kerala, and rare towards malabar (North Kerala). There are quite a few of them in North Kasargod - Ullal is one place coming to my mind. I think there is one at Moodbidri too.

Both velichapadus and Theyyams occure at fixed frequencies - a particular day of the lunar cycle, particular time of the (Indian calendar) year, particular day of the month, etc.

Bhoota Kola seems to be something in between. I am not an expert in folklore though. First time I am hearing about bhoota kola. I have heard of yakshagana though. The foundation behind MIT (M as in Moneypal, not Mass.) is a supporter of yakshagana.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2008, 21:28   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Quite correct, but Nitin's observation that this is like the 'velichappadu' is not entirely correct. This bears more resemblence to what is called 'Theyyam' which is a ritual that turned into an art form.

As I see more and more of the rituals and practices in your area, I get the feeling that the very same rituals/practices are seen in Kerala under other names. Pretty much like when I saw a Yakshagana performance for the first time and saw the similarities with Kathakali, which is an art form I practiced briefly.
Steer,as mentioned before,my knowledge on this subject is minimal. I've only seen a 'vellichapaadu' in a movie. I haven't heard about 'Theyyam',though.
Interesting to know that you used to perform kathakali. Our family has had close association with the dance form,and almost 70% of the family elders are long time patrons. I have a cousin,who used to sing & play the chenda,at some of these gatherings.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2008, 11:52   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Theyyam is a normal human being turned god, (daivam > thaivam > theyyam. Got it?) and the theyyams we see now represent the originals. Theyyams do not claim to be possessed. They represent.

Velichappadus, OTOH, are about being possessed by god / spirits. These are common in Kerala, and rare towards malabar (North Kerala). There are quite a few of them in North Kasargod - Ullal is one place coming to my mind. I think there is one at Moodbidri too.
To make it simple, 'Velichappadu' = temple oracle. They are common, especially in Malabar where they are a fixture in every temple. Some of them are Devaswom Board employees.

Theyyam is not about Gods generally but about invoking the spirits of nature (hence the similarity with Bhoota Kola) - it is therefore practiced amongst nature-worshipping communities, and the association with "Gods" - in some of the Theyyam names used - came through the patronage of landed communities. My ancestral family used to patronize a 'Theyyam' which carried the name of the family deity - I've always wondered what the deity had to do with it because it was a very agrarian ritual with no association with the family templ and was usually performed by the farm staff around the harvest, not as a temple ritual. One of the characters in Theyyam, particularly in the agrarian areas of Palakkad, is the 'Bhootam'. You can read more about Theyyam on Wikipedia here: Theyyam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

@ Nitin - I have not 'performed' kathakali. I tried to learn for a couple of years.

Are you related to PSV?

Last edited by Steeroid : 29th February 2008 at 12:02.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 06:03   #29
Senior - BHPian

More than Theyyam, Bhooth Kola is similar to Parassinikadavu Muthapan, who is believed to be Shiva himself(Kiratha roopam - Wiki says he represents Vishnu also, Muthappan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). This is a very unique temple, one where dogs are considered sacred(it is believed that they accompanied Shiva in this avataar) and you can find a lot of mongrels inside the temple, roaming around peacefully, not disturbing the serene environment.

It is possible to have a representation of this deity to perform a ritual dance at your home(Thiruvappana or Vellatom) for general well being or for specific reasons/wishes(exactly similar to Bhooth Kola). As a kid, I used to be so afraid of this form, what with it's blood red costumes and face decorations. Alcohol(toddy) is liberally consumed during this ritual dance and it is actually amazing how he continues to dance. He blesses devotees at the end of the dance and people believe that he actually gives solutions to their problems.

Youtube shows you what it is all about -

Need to capture this on camera next time I am in Kannur.
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 07:52   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely pictorial. I liked the close up face shots of the dancer/performer.
sudev is online now   Reply With Quote