Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 15th September 2009, 11:34   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Gushaini has to be HTH or the place bang opposite. Everyone I know whose been there comes back raving.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 14:48   #62
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abk View Post
Couldn't help but to spruce up this thread after being dead for so long. We have decided to go to Shoja (Soja / Sojja / Sohja.. can't these people have one spelling per name??) & then proceed to the Great Himalayan National Park (GHNP) around Gushaini. Can anyone recommend a great stay in the GHNP for a night in the forest, preferably with arrangements for angling during the day?

Around Gushaini the best place is at Sai Ropa for around Rs 500, but then you will have to carry your own angling equipment and we cooked our own food, may be the caretaker would have arranged some food, if told. The other options have been listed very correctly by Tsk above.

The road ends at Bathad where a forest rest house is there but the general condition was not good neither was the surrounding as the villagers have cut all the trees nearby for their settlement. The road as you near Bathad is uphill and narrow, had to do a half km back gear travel as we faced a full sized Tata Bus coming downhill, he will and can't move back so you have to back up till there is just enough space available at a particular area for both to pass - of course a Safari width plus a bus takes a whole of lot of place.

Here's the link for Sai Ropa-Gushaini-Bathad travel during the last year HP tour. Just look at the pics of the Sai Ropa tourist centre - isnt it worth staying over there!! The Shoja FRH also looked good as we passed it going to Jalori Pass.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1029271 (Safari Dicor 2.2 VTT-TMT Grand One-Year Ownership Travelogue [Kinnaur-Spiti-Lahaul])

Last edited by adc : 15th September 2009 at 15:06.
adc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 14:00   #63
abk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
There is a forst rest house near Ghusaini, where we stay. As for angling, no idea, I think some private hotels there like himalayan trout house offer it, but rooms cost around 1500 each
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Gushaini has to be HTH or the place bang opposite. Everyone I know whose been there comes back raving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Around Gushaini the best place is at Sai Ropa for around Rs 500, but then you will have to carry your own angling equipment and we cooked our own food, may be the caretaker would have arranged some food, if told. The other options have been listed very correctly by Tsk above.
Tanveer, ADC & phamilyman, thanks for your advices! A stupid question, however: Are Sai Ropa & Ropa two separate places or they the same? I checked with Raju's cottage. They are closed till 10th Oct The FRH at Shoja is not available. Trying the PWD RH at Shoja & FRH at Ropa (assuming this is Sai Ropa) but not confirmed yet. As back up, have already spoken to Shiringi Vatika. The acco (for 8-10 people) looks a little in jeopardy at the moment
abk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 14:09   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post

Here's the link for Sai Ropa-Gushaini-Bathad travel during the last year HP tour. Just look at the pics of the Sai Ropa tourist centre - isnt it worth staying over there!!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1029271 (Safari Dicor 2.2 VTT-TMT Grand One-Year Ownership Travelogue [Kinnaur-Spiti-Lahaul])
Sai Ropa seems like a nice place, adc.
Indizen08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 19:53   #65
abk
BHPian

Right folks: We are heading off to Shoja & the Great Himalayan National Park (GHNP) in half an hour from now!

We could not book Raju's cottage because they are not open until 10th October. We could not get the FRH either at Shoja or at Sai Ropa because they are already booked. The plan is to spend the first night at Shiringi Vatika & second night in the GHNP, if we can find a place within the forest. If not, may be we will end up staying at the Himalayan Trout House.

We have already bought one angling rod & will procure a few more from the locals (bespoke fishing hooks / lines) from Shoja.
Old 18th September 2009, 23:46   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

There is a nature resort, about 2.5 km before Shringi Vatika on the left side, about 20m above the road. Its a pain to climb up but you can get rooms for ~1000 excl food of about 500 for dinner + breakfast. They will accomodate 8-10 people and 3-4 more easily. I hope to God you read this thread in time. Anyways, Shringi vatika except the location will disappoint for 8-10 people - its just NOT big enough - its 2 proper rooms, 1 small room with shared bath and availability for beds.

and there'll be delhiwalas all around
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 14:02   #67
Team-BHP Support

Aha tirthan. Revival of this thread has motivated us to go to Tirthan valley again.
Hope to go there again soon
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 15:09   #68
abk
BHPian

Quick update: Been back from Shoja. Spent both nights at Shirini Vatika at Ghiyagi. No luck with fishes (as in angling!). We reached Shoja via Mandi & returned via Jalori pass, Narkanda, Shimla. More details later..

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
There is a nature resort, about 2.5 km before Shringi Vatika on the left side, about 20m above the road. Its a pain to climb up but you can get rooms for ~1000 excl food of about 500 for dinner + breakfast. They will accomodate 8-10 people and 3-4 more easily. I hope to God you read this thread in time. Anyways, Shringi vatika except the location will disappoint for 8-10 people - its just NOT big enough - its 2 proper rooms, 1 small room with shared bath and availability for beds.

and there'll be delhiwalas all around
Dear phamilyman, thanks so much for your advice but unfortunately couldn't see your message on time. We couldn't make it to GHNP either. However, the place was not abuzz with tourists, fortunately!

Last edited by abk : 22nd September 2009 at 15:11.
Old 22nd September 2009, 15:26   #69
Team-BHP Support

abk, can you let me know the following
1. Driving time to Narkanda from Sojha?
2. Road conditions
3. Any snow etc., on the pass?
4. Has the waterfall at shringi started running, or the river is still blocked due to landslide
Old 22nd September 2009, 15:50   #70
abk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
abk, can you let me know the following
1. Driving time to Narkanda from Sojha?
2. Road conditions
3. Any snow etc., on the pass?
4. Has the waterfall at shringi started running, or the river is still blocked due to landslide
Funny, that you should ask me, Tanveer, because I followed this thread & your other thread on Shoja (Sojha) to gather most of my info before heading off Anyway, here's the updates:
  1. 4 hours 15 mins it took us but then we started off from Shringi (at 8:45 AM) and drove a few minutes towards Banjar before deciding we would rather go via the Jalori pass & see Narkanda. We were at Narkanda at 1:00 PM sharp. Would reckon from Sojha it should take no more than 4 hours (maybe 3 & half in a Safari).
  2. 7-8 Kms on either side of the Jalori pass the road conditions are bad. But not very bad. It is the sharp gradient of the incline 2 kms before Sojha to Jalori (7 kms in total) that had us driving almost always on the 1st gear. 8 kms of road while descending from Jalori towards Ani is bad. But did not matter much as it was descent
  3. Snow? Not even a trace of it even on the faraway mountain peaks, let alone at Jalori
  4. Not sure which water fall you are referring here. The stream below the Shringi is running restlessly. We did see a small waterfall (not sure whether it was between Ghiyagi & Sojha or between Ghiyagi & Banjar) but it looked too small.
Old 22nd September 2009, 16:22   #71
Team-BHP Support

abk, actually we could not go to the pass in snow, hence return was via same route. therefore I asked as I wanted to know the current conditions.
As for the waterfall, I mean this one
Old 22nd September 2009, 16:48   #72
abk
BHPian

Yes, it is the same stream running restlessly & swelled up a bit more than your pic. Uncle (Mr. Manohar of Shiringi Vatika) claimed much of the lower lands of Shiringi was flooded in the recent monsoon as a result of which trouts have almost disappeared :(

OT: Btw - i tried the same photo effect using my PowerShot SX100 but could not get down to reducing the aperture appropriate in commensurate with elongated exposure time. I ended up overexposing the photos. Any suggestions here?
Old 22nd September 2009, 16:57   #73
Team-BHP Support

you can shoot when its darker, then you will get longer shutter speeds
Old 23rd August 2010, 14:33   #74
BHPian

Thought of of a new thread, then decided to give this thread one more life!

We are planning in early Sept, want to do it from Narkanda to Sojha. What you guys suggest?

Taking Fiesta (so low GC), how would be the road condition in Sept?

Any suggestion on where to stay in Narkanda?
hridayjyoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 14:38   #75
Team-BHP Support

Climb from Narkanda side is easier, but when it rains, the pass gets very slushy. you will be doing it downhill, so not much issue. Be careful and very slow, and you won't scrape underbelly anywhere. I have almost gone till the top in the indica, and seen swift etc., do this pass.
Its currently raining very heavily in himachal, so if conditions dry out some, you can definitely attempt it, but remember, when its raining the area is landslide prone, and very dangerous, esp near Khanag etc.,