Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 19th August 2008, 09:54   #16
BHPian

Red face

I am also planning to visit yercaud from 22nd to 24th August
I am planning to take following route angalore - Krishnagiri NH7 - Dharmapuri NH7 - Salem NH7 - Yercaud via Ghat Road
I was looking for an accommodation in sterling resort but was not available. I ended up in booking in star holidays Inn lets see how it works

chirantanaranya you have taken "Bangalore Bypass just outside Dharmapuri and got onto the Palacod - Rayakottai - Hosur sector.". Is this not good to take while going from Bangalore.

Will post my experience once I am back
aka_iitd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 11:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics dadu,
this is my late posting to this thread,
heard lot about yercud as poor man's ooty,
shevroy perfumery is famous and thru post i had bought some herbal oil for mascular pain remedy.
Hoping to be at yercud and pondy clubing with my tirupati trip in future.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 11:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
I am planning to take following route angalore - Krishnagiri NH7 - Dharmapuri NH7 - Salem NH7 - Yercaud via Ghat Road
Do not take Dharampuri-Salem route. It is very bad. 4 laning work is going on and has very bad stretches. I would recommend the route as below:

Krishnagiri-Dharampiri-Mettur-Bhavani-Salem. And from Salem you can continue in your route. These are interior roads in TN but the road condition is good than the NH.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 12:05   #19
Senior - BHPian

Thanks,

Thats exactly me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Nice pics dadu,
this is my late posting to this thread,
heard lot about yercud as poor man's ooty,
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 12:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Krishnagiri-Dharampiri-Mettur-Bhavani-Salem. And from Salem you can continue in your route. These are interior roads in TN but the road condition is good than the NH.
I think it will unnecessarily long. Anyway How will you go to Mettur from dharmapuri?
best route is Thoppur - Mettur. Anyway anycase you are going to thoppur. Another 20km is Salem from there.

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 12:33   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Do not take Dharampuri-Salem route. It is very bad. 4 laning work is going on and has very bad stretches. I would recommend the route as below:

The route suggested by you Krishnagiri-Dharampiri-Mettur-Bhavani-Salem i need to make almost V shape to reach Salem not sure but will add up considerable amount of KM's. I think we need to divert from NH4 to Mettur from thoppur. Anyone have any idea where can i fetch map for the routes.
Old 19th August 2008, 12:37   #22
BANNED

A friend who travelled late evening / night yesterday says Salem to Bangalore took him a little over 2 hours in his CR-V thanks to 4-laning almost complete on this stretch.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 12:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

The direction that Snaronikar said is good to beat the traffic at Salem (especially the bus which plies from Salem to Rasipuram). But yeah, to reach the Mettur road you need to go cross Thopur and take the right as soon as you come out of the ghat section.

Actually this is a shorted distance than thru Salem (to Perundurai) thru Mettur. But risk of village block / traffic , fallen trees are there.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 14:27   #24
BHPian

Nice pics dadu. We had been there couple of years back and had stayed at a small resort within a coffee plantation. Its a nice getaway for couple days.
muralisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 16:36   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
I was looking for an accommodation in sterling resort but was not available. I ended up in booking in star holidays Inn lets see how it works

chirantanaranya you have taken "Bangalore Bypass just outside Dharmapuri and got onto the Palacod - Rayakottai - Hosur sector.". Is this not good to take while going from Bangalore.

Will post my experience once I am back
I took NH7 out of Bangalore purely because I was familiar with it, at least until Krishnagiri. Earlier posts reported heavier traffic on Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri sector but I didn't know much about the road work itself when I started. But I think you can easily take Rayakottai route out of Hosur. You have to get off NH7 and turn right at Hosur. Anyone remembers if the turn is after or before Ashok Leyland factory coming from Bangalore?
chirantanaranya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 16:55   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
A friend who travelled late evening / night yesterday says Salem to Bangalore took him a little over 2 hours in his CR-V thanks to 4-laning almost complete on this stretch.
I think i will try the normal route rather tan taking deviation but keep in mind of alternative route if traffic is more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
The direction that Snaronikar said is good to beat the traffic at Salem (especially the bus which plies from Salem to Rasipuram). But yeah, to reach the Mettur road you need to go cross Thopur and take the right as soon as you come out of the ghat section.

Actually this is a shorted distance than thru Salem (to Perundurai) thru Mettur. But risk of village block / traffic , fallen trees are there.
I was trying to find places mentioned but not able to figure it out. Any reliable source where i can see maps to find routes
Old 25th August 2008, 15:38   #27
BHPian

Car : SX4
Starting Odometer reading : 951
Starting time/date : 2:30PM/22nd August 2008
Place : Sarjapur Outer Ring Road
End Odometer reading : 1425
Drove 40KM within Yercaud

I started in 22nd August around 2:30PM and within an hour I crossed Attibele.Roads condition was good till Krishnagiri.4 way lane. Though at some place diversions were there as construction was going on. But there are too many opening ie U turn on the highway so you need to be quite attentive(I reached 120KM/hr) and honk as people cross the road like garden. Also i have seen people were driving wrong direction that too without switching on the headlight. Road from Krishnagiri to Dharampuri was good but both side traffic was there on the same lane so avg speed was around 60KM.Overall road was good.
Reached Salem around 7:00PM and started for Yercaud after 15min.Lot of traffic was there and took 1/2 hr to cross the Salem Yercaud stretch. Reached Star Holidays Inc at 8:15PM. Had difficulty in finding the hotel as i cannot read/speak Tamil. Throughout the trip sign boards on a NH written in Tamil. Luckily I saw one couple who were walking down and knew Tamil.They helped in locating the hotel.Uphill road was quite wide than my expectations. It was 225 KM from my place. Whether was good. Quite misty and cloudy.
Food at hotel was OK.Mainly it was rice/dosa/idly.I went to grand palace for continetal food.Thanks dadu for the feedback.
Visited almost all places except loop road.Not describing much as other members have already discussed in length. Photo would be attached soon.

Again started back from Yercaud to Bangalore around 2:00PM on 24th and was back in Bangalore at 7:00PM. Took another route at Errahalli via Pallakkodu Hosur.It turned out to be 20Km less then Krishnagiri Hosur route. Roads at this route was good with some rough patches.
Clocked apprx 500KM
Old 25th August 2008, 15:47   #28
Senior - BHPian

Short and sweet
How was your SX4 handling and whats the milege you got? Was it on normal petrol or premium? Do update us when you upload the picture.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2008, 16:28   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Short and sweet
How was your SX4 handling and whats the milege you got? Was it on normal petrol or premium? Do update us when you upload the picture.
I got overall mileage about 12 to 12.5. Before entering Karnataka i made sure to enter petrol bunk as petrol is approx 2.25 bucks less in TN
One thing i observed that cabin noise was very less as other guys claim it is very noisy in SX4 at high speed.
Old 25th August 2008, 22:23   #30
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Nice travelogue dadu. Btw, you didn't visit Kiliyur falls? Some nice scenic shots there. Remember shooting my baleno there.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote