Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Closed Thread

Old 11th April 2008, 19:00   #181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
German, Indian, aakhir aurat aurat hoti hai. hehheh.
German, or Indian ladies are... well ladies

Quote:
Everyone always runs up to me "Very cheap price I give you"
"Arrey bhai, main toh idhar ka hi hoon!"
I am a local

Quote:
"Arrey, aap hindi bolte hain?"
You speak Hindi???

Quote:
"Arrey main Indian hoon bhai, I am Indian tum doosre ke peeche bhaago,Go catch someone else mujhe akeyla chhod do. leave me alone"
Old 11th April 2008, 19:13   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
German, or Indian ladies are... well ladies

I am a local

You speak Hindi???
Aha, now that makes sense.
Old 11th April 2008, 19:22   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne® View Post
Day 5:

The flight is unspectacular - we get to Delhi with no difficulties. We get picked up and drive to the apartment. I look around me during the drive. Clearly more space here, more sky to see, less hustle bustle on the streets, lower buildings, cleaner - especially the buildings themselves. Though people here obviously have the same habit as the ones in Mumbai when it comes to hanging their laundry outside the windows hihi. It is very funny and unusual for me to see laundry almost everywhere! In Germany this is mostly forbidden, believe it or not!
A lot of people from Mumbai are now living in Delhi.
Old 11th April 2008, 20:22   #184
BHPian

Quote:
And vada-pao?
You were in Mumbai and Sam din't get you vada-pav? That's like the staple snack of Mumbaikaars.
Old 11th April 2008, 20:25   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler View Post
You were in Mumbai and Sam din't get you vada-pav? That's like the staple snack of Mumbaikaars.
vada-pao or vada-pav? What is correct now? And still I have no clue what it is we are talking about

However, I cannot really answer your question, he might have - I am just bad, REALLY bad, with all those Indian names and expressions. For me all of this sounds so exotic that I always need to rack my brain to be able to remember something.
Old 11th April 2008, 20:27   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, what is Rashomon?
A Japanese movie made in 1950 by Akira Kurosawa
Quote:
And vada-pao?
Mumbaiya "hamburger" - (vegetarian) street food. Vada = the potato dumpling. Pao = bread / bun (more like a brotchen). Eaten for breakfast, lunch, dinner and anytime in between.

Sam, you need to explain the "pao" part further.
Quote:
vada-pao or vada-pav? What is correct now? And still I have no clue what it is we are talking about
The same. 'Pao' or 'pav' differ only in pronunciation. The second one is more an 'educated' intonation by some; the first one is the original.
Some syllables in Indian languages are difficult to transliterate into Roman script: pao could be written 'paw' (doesn't look right; wouldn't sound right if spoken by a non-Indian). The original sound is that of English 'w', the second being the German 'w'. The other problematic syllables are 'f' and 'ph'.

Last edited by DerAlte : 11th April 2008 at 20:39.
Old 11th April 2008, 20:41   #187
BHPian

This is what a vada pao looks like.

The vada is basically mashed potatoes mixed with some onions and masala and this is then covered with flour and deep fried. The pao is a kind of bread very similar to the one used for hotdogs.

I hope I make sense.
Attached Images

Last edited by wheeler : 11th April 2008 at 20:47. Reason: mixed up the vada & pao in the first post
Old 11th April 2008, 20:43   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
A Japanese movie made in 1950 by Akira Kurosawa
Mumbaiya "hamburger" - (vegetarian) street food. Vada = the potato dumpling. Pao = bread / bun (more like a brotchen). Eaten for breakfast, lunch, dinner and anytime in between.
Ah, thank you for that explanation Der Alte!
Sam, correct me if I am wrong but I don't think I tried something like that?! The way it is described though I request you to put this on the list for next time

Quote:
The same. 'Pao' or 'pav' differ only in pronunciation. The second one is more an 'educated' intonation by some; the first one is the original.
Some syllables in Indian languages are difficult to transliterate into Roman script: pao could be written 'paw' (doesn't look right; wouldn't sound right if spoken by a non-Indian). The original sound is that of English 'w', the second being the German 'w'. The other problematic syllables are 'f' and 'ph'.
Jesus, how is one to learn all that?
Old 11th April 2008, 20:47   #189
BHPian

Wow.. this blog is one of its kind..!!
I am patiently waiting for the Agra part.

Great going TheCouple® ..! cheers:

Last edited by revved_up : 11th April 2008 at 20:48.
Old 11th April 2008, 21:05   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
put this on the list for next time
Vorsicht! Normalerweise es kann zu scharf sein. Auch fuer Inder, nicht nur fuer die Deutscher. Und wenn Sie es vorstellen koennen, ißt man grünen (Indische) Paprikas damit / dazu. Mahlzeit!
Quote:
Jesus, how is one to learn all that?
That is the fun being Indian - ANYTHING GOES. If you have seen the pic in the official joke thread - "chilled beer" can be written as "CHILD BEAR", and still be understood by everyone!!! If you remove the mental constraints learnt during childhood, it is easy. That is the secret of the multi-lingual abilities of Indians - we try and adapt to all possible variations of spelling and pronunciation. Did you happen to hear the word "phaiu" in Mumbai, by any chance? Guess what that could be.
Old 11th April 2008, 22:00   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Just thought I'd let everyone know that this is now officially the most popular travelogue in Team-BHP history - highest viewed and highest posted. And we're not through the first week yet!!

Thanks.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2008, 22:21   #192
BHPian

Sam, your travelogues are usually the most popular and most viewed. And with Jenny joining you here, the effect is automatically doubled and this was bound to happen. Nevertheless, thanx for letting us know.

Anyways, we'll try to make it Yeti® Size.
Old 11th April 2008, 22:36   #193
BHPian

Quote:
This is what a vada pao looks like.

The vada is basically mashed potatoes mixed with some onions and masala and this is then covered with flour and deep fried. The pao is a kind of bread very similar to the one used for hotdogs.

I hope I make sense.
Yes, you make perfect sense. Thanks for that picture, very kind. I definitely did not have that!

Quote:
Vorsicht! Normalerweise es kann zu scharf sein. Auch fuer Inder, nicht nur fuer die Deutscher. Und wenn Sie es vorstellen koennen, ißt man grünen (Indische) Paprikas damit / dazu. Mahlzeit!

Did you happen to hear the word "phaiu" in Mumbai, by any chance? Guess what that could be.
Ach so, danke für die Warnung! Jetzt weiß ich auch, warum Sam mich das wohl nicht probieren lassen hat.
And I guess the green ones are the really spicy ones, correct?

Sorry, but where did you learn your German? It is damn good! This cannot just be translated on the computer or?

About phaiu: could it possibly mean "for you"? This is the only thing coming to my mind when I try to pronounce that word. Oh God, I guess a lot of people will be rolling on the floor laughing because it must be so wrong.

Quote:
Anyways, we'll try to make it Yeti® Size.
Old 11th April 2008, 22:42   #194
BHPian

Come on Jenny, Sam..The Agra part

I wonder how you can't imagine all the eager faces waiting for you guys to post
Old 11th April 2008, 23:21   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Dekho baba, gori ho ya bharatiya aurat, aurat to aurat hai. And takleefey bhi wahi hoti hai. Maar bhi wahi padti hai, bilkul wahi.

Translated into English for TheOne®: I will wait for my lovely lady, because that's the way I am. Waiting for you, hurry up and write
Sam - Lagta hai tu hindi seekhne ke chakkar mein angrezi bhool gaya!! Kam se kam Jenny to translation to asli wala de de!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I never knew you spoke such fluent hindi sam
We Dilli-wallahs have spoilt him with him getting a vocabulary expansion on every visit!!

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th April 2008 at 02:27. Reason: 3 smileys.
Closed Thread